The First Ones (408)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dave2 View Post
    I wonder why the goa'ulds even ever wanted to bother to use the Unas as hosts considering how little benefit they could provide since the goa'uld were more intelligent than the Unas.
    The Unas are extremely powerful, physically. During the initial scramble for dominance, that could be key.

Seaboe
    If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

When a goa'uld takes a host and the host is completely overpowered, how does the goa'uld imitate the host so that no one knows about the takeover, as in the case of Rothman and Hawkins?

Comment

The symbiote has accsess to the host's memories which presumably includes characteristics.
        I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

But we never saw that earlier in Apophis, etc. etc. The goa'uld was the one always talking and never imitating the host. But here we are seeing the goa'uld completely imitating the host??

Originally posted by Matt G View Post
          The symbiote has accsess to the host's memories which presumably includes characteristics.

Comment

It occurred to me when Chaka scratched Daniel that the SG teams are totally unprotected not only from the superbugs that are the subject on occasion of an episode, but everyday germs of planets for which an individual has no defenses and may or may not be contagious. A nail scratch from an Unas by itself could be disgustingly deadly. Not to mention breathing whatever such a creature exhales. And this could be true even among humanoids from different planets. I would think they need special masks wherever they go. And that blue "blood" from the goa'uld that Chaka smeared on Daniel......yuck.......

Comment

But we never saw that earlier in Apophis, etc. etc. The goa'uld was the one always talking and never imitating the host. But here we are seeing the goa'uld completely imitating the host??
              Thier was never any reason to imitate the host for Apophis. Goa'uld think themself superior and would prefer to use their "echoed" voice but they can sound human if they prefer it.
              Originally posted by aretood2
              Jelgate is right

Comment

Thanks. What a relief...... ;-)

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                Thier was never any reason to imitate the host for Apophis. Goa'uld think themself superior and would prefer to use their "echoed" voice but they can sound human if they prefer it.

Comment

When a goa'uld takes a host and the host is completely overpowered, how does the goa'uld imitate the host so that no one knows about the takeover, as in the case of Rothman and Hawkins?
                  The goa'ulds in this episode had plenty of time after invading Hawkins and Rothman to discover everything there was to know about each of them, and then imitate them. Hawkins was missing for a period of time toward the beginning, right after Daniel had been snatched, and then he was brought back in something of a state of shock. There was plenty of time for that goa'uld to learn about him and thus behave exactly as Hawkins would have.

We don't know exactly when Rothman was invaded, whether it was during the time on the planet before Daniel was snatched or after he came back from the SGC with a rescue party. In any event, it seems it had plenty of time to find out everything about him and impersonate him until it was discovered.

And the fact that these symbiotes had no naquadah in them kept Sam and Teal'c from recognizing the two men had been taken over. Who knows what they could have gotten away with if they had gone undetected?

Comment

Originally posted by NowIWillDestroyAbydos View Post
                    The drowning scene was shot in slow motion, then played at normal speed during the episode.
                    Is this the scene where Daniel is swimming across the lake to escape from Chaka ?

I think that Daniel would have tried to communicate with Chaka until he became dinner—Anthropologist to the (roasted) end!

Dion Johnstone, who played Chaka did a fantastic job. Chaka was primitive, bur still very intelligent. The UAV scene between Dion and Michael was well played, by both men; Chaka’s fear and the understanding that Daniel displays is the start of their relationship. The “fire side” scenes bond them together; demonstrated in the symbiote head toss and Daniel’s energy bar. Even after Chaka’s marking him for death, Daniel can’t kill him, and he goes onto remove the bullet from Chaka. Daniel’s willingness to risk his life for others is a theme that runs through the entire series.

Many of Daniel’s lines in this episode are priceless:
                    Moon chant, what was I thinking?
                    I won’t do that again—over and over again.

No, you know, if I’m the main course, I’d rather you fill up on the appetizers.

Don’t say Kaa until you’ve tried it. (Daniel channeling his inward parent?)

Daniel: I know that we have the beginnings of a beautiful relationship, but I don’t know if your folks would understand

And then there’s Chaka trying to say “Daniel”.

Comment

Why would Apothis ever want to impersonate his host? Everyone that ever knew that particular host is now dust.
                      I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Because they tend to be arrogant?...

Facebook post about Alexis Cruz and the Audiobook he's done. If you're a fan of Alexis and his work - you'll love it. Book 1 and 2 are there now. The second one is brilliant, but I can't vouch for the first one (not having heard it), but I'm sure it's just as good, if not better.

"I'm not gonna eat it - that's disgusting... I'm gonna wear it as a worm-stache." - Misha Collins (Supernatural Season 6 Gag Reel)
                        "Becker, it leads to the Victorian Era. What do you think is going to come through, an Oliver-Twist-Asaurus?" - Connor - Primeval.

Alexis Cruz - Facebook. (insert Klorel/Skaara icon here...) and ThunkThread ~ The Unprofessionals page for updates. ~
                        a game for Teal'c fans ~ Skaara/Klorel disscussion ~ Character Connection Game ~ "Beyond Redemption"...

Comment

Originally posted by Nut_ty View Post
                          I think that Daniel would have tried to communicate with Chaka until he became dinner—Anthropologist to the (roasted) end!

Dion Johnstone, who played Chaka did a fantastic job. Chaka was primitive, bur still very intelligent. The UAV scene between Dion and Michael was well played, by both men; Chaka’s fear and the understanding that Daniel displays is the start of their relationship. The “fire side” scenes bond them together; demonstrated in the symbiote head toss and Daniel’s energy bar. Even after Chaka’s marking him for death, Daniel can’t kill him, and he goes onto remove the bullet from Chaka. Daniel’s willingness to risk his life for others is a theme that runs through the entire series.

Many of Daniel’s lines in this episode are priceless:
                          Moon chant, what was I thinking?
                          I won’t do that again—over and over again.

No, you know, if I’m the main course, I’d rather you fill up on the appetizers.

Don’t say Kaa until you’ve tried it. (Daniel channeling his inward parent?)

Daniel: I know that we have the beginnings of a beautiful relationship, but I don’t know if your folks would understand

And then there’s Chaka trying to say “Daniel”.
                          What he said...and Daniel's beautiful eyes.

Oh, and Enosh74 "I wanted to point out that Daniel removed the tape recorder from a plastic bag when he first started using it, then after he jumped in the pond it still worked. I assume the water was to keep it dry. I have to commend his anthropological dedication though."

All the times I've watched this ep and never ever thought about the tape recorder vs. the water! Funny!

Comment

Really good episode! ^^

Comment

Daniel's interaction with Chaka is great. Once again, his empathy shines through, and he manages to make a friend.

Best line:

"Oh, yeah...toss the Goa'uld symbiote..." *tossed into the fire* "Oh, whoops!"
                              "Y'know; Lose it. It means, go crazy. Nuts. Insane. Bonzo. No Longer in posession of one's faculties. Three fries short of a Happy Meal. WHACKO!!!!!"

The perfect couple!

Comment

I like how he tried explaining the UAV to Chaka..

Comment

Working...
                                X