The First Ones (408)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First time watcher!

I'm so glad they killed Rothman, he was good for nothing. This ep was very good in terms of showing us some history of the Goa'uld. I hope they return to this planet to uncover things about their past...

Comment

I love this episode!!!
      we really get to see how caring Daniel is, and I love how he keeps trying to comunicate! so cute!
      I loved when they played catch with the symbiote head!
      and i love how Daniel wrote "<---This Way!" on the wall.
      it just cracks me up for some reason!

-Kat

Stargate SG-1

The best thing to ever happen to TV...and LIFE!

Follow me on Twitter!

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs. Daniel Jackson View Post
        I love this episode!!!
        we really get to see how caring Daniel is, and I love how he keeps trying to comunicate! so cute!
        I loved when they played catch with the symbiote head!
        and i love how Daniel wrote "<---This Way!" on the wall.
        it just cracks me up for some reason!

-Kat
        Not only the way he wrote "this way" but Teal'c and Jack's exchange when they discover it. LOL!

Interesting twist with the non-naquada symbiotes. Other than the lack of naquada, how exactly are they different? They don't use Jaffa so how do the incubate their young? Just in the lake? Is that a trick the naquada-bearing Goa'uld have lost the ability to do and they need Jaffa or something?

Comment

This was a good episode for Daniel, back to the language thing he is so good at. I kind of like the Unas in a way.
          sigpic

Comment

um, am i the only one who has noticed that the unas never designed some kind of simple helmet or mask to prevent symbiote attacks?
            R.I.P Stargate 1994-2009

Comment

Originally posted by asdf1239 View Post
              um, am i the only one who has noticed that the unas never designed some kind of simple helmet or mask to prevent symbiote attacks?
              They did have bone necklaces in the neck, so why do they need more protection? They seem to be doing pretty fine.
              When a distinguished but elderly scientist states that something is possible, he is almost certainly right. When he states that something is impossible, he is very probably wrong.-Arthur C. Clarke

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology -Carl Sagan

Comment

Loved it, and of course with lots of Daniel how could it be any other way? I'm glad they got rid of Rothman too, he was just too hopeless for the missions...
                sigpic

Comment

Just watched this one on my DVDs, I'm very slowly going through my DVDs.....it kinda stinks I don't have seasons 6-9. But anyways I love this one because it is a Daniel episode, I thought the "tossing the symbiote head" part was pretty funny! I love it when Jack says to Teal'c "What if I'm not O"Neill?!" and Teal'c replies "Then I was not talking to you." They had me smiling, I think at times Teal'c can be the funniest character on the show. Even if I had see this episode before, it had been a quite awhile as I was surprised (once again!) that Rothman was a Goa'uld! He was kinda a interesting fellow but oh well I suppose he was slightly useless as a character. I liked Chaka or Chaaka or however it is spelled, . The Unas are a pretty interesting aliens, too bad they are pretty nonexistent in the final seasons of SG1 as well as SGA.

Comment

Daniel and his charismatic personality... even the language barrier is no match for it.

Facebook post about Alexis Cruz and the Audiobook he's done. If you're a fan of Alexis and his work - you'll love it. Book 1 and 2 are there now. The second one is brilliant, but I can't vouch for the first one (not having heard it), but I'm sure it's just as good, if not better.

"I'm not gonna eat it - that's disgusting... I'm gonna wear it as a worm-stache." - Misha Collins (Supernatural Season 6 Gag Reel)
                    "Becker, it leads to the Victorian Era. What do you think is going to come through, an Oliver-Twist-Asaurus?" - Connor - Primeval.

Alexis Cruz - Facebook. (insert Klorel/Skaara icon here...) and ThunkThread ~ The Unprofessionals page for updates. ~
                    a game for Teal'c fans ~ Skaara/Klorel disscussion ~ Character Connection Game ~ "Beyond Redemption"...

Comment

Originally posted by Pic View Post
                      Interesting twist with the non-naquada symbiotes. Other than the lack of naquada, how exactly are they different? They don't use Jaffa so how do the incubate their young? Just in the lake? Is that a trick the naquada-bearing Goa'uld have lost the ability to do and they need Jaffa or something?
                      These are very good questions. It's too bad they didn't go back and explore these later. I kinda wondered if the Goa'uld wouldn't have evolved even farther from the off-planet Goa'ulds considering they had been gone for several thousand years. I got the impression that the naquada increases the Goa'uld's ability to control its hosts, or it might have been the lack of a genetic memory of interaction with humans that made the Goa'uld in this episode incapable of full control over their hosts. Also it seems like this planet would have been ideal for capturing replacement symbiotes for rebel Jaffa.

On another topic, I wanted to point out that Daniel removed the tape recorder from a plastic bag when he first started using it, then after he jumped in the pond it still worked. I assume the water was to keep it dry. I have to commend his anthropological dedication though.

Comment

O'Neill fills Rothman with lead. Buh bye, Dr. Rothman.

Originally posted by Pic View Post
                        Goa'uld don't actually require incubation. Presumably, the evil goa'uld we've come to know could live their entire life cycle in the right water environment, same as these lake snakes. Of course, they'd never willingly do so. It would be mental/emotional torture.

One of the episodes explains that the blending process was often unsuccessful before Jaffa were created. Young goa'uld were introduced to soon, and both the host and young goa-uld died. Success was assured by incubating the young to maturity before blending. The key, however, seems not to be incubation but rather waiting until maturity. A goa'uld can grow to maturity in a water environment.

So, why were the Jaffa created? Why not leave the young in a water environment until maturity? The reason has less to do with biological need than with pursuit of power: a way to create strong, long-lived warrior-servants.

At least, that's my understanding after watching way too much Stargate.

Comment

Originally posted by Brother Freyr View Post
                          At least, that's my understanding after watching way too much Stargate.
                          Is that even possible?

Seaboe
                          If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

Originally posted by asdf1239 View Post
                            yes and odd that the SG teams don't add gorgets (neck armour) to the neck to stop that avenue of attack.
                            ----------------------------
                            You will never get to heaven with an Ak 47... But A Zu 30 is good for Low Flying Cherubim

Comment

Originally posted by mjwalshe View Post
                              yes and odd that the SG teams don't add gorgets (neck armour) to the neck to stop that avenue of attack.
                              Well, the SGC usually doesn't have to worry about flying symbiotes. This was the one and only time they encountered the primordial Goa'uld. Ever since Kawalsky and Sam fell victim to the Goa'uld/Tok'ra I think they've been a lot more careful and keeping an eye out off-world as well as in post mission exams. Overall they're only confronted with being snaked by an enemy and I doubt gorgets would stop them.
                              Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                              Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                              On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Tuesday night and another ep of SG1...

1. As soon as I realised Daniel had been grabbed by an Unas well...I thought it was a straight rescue job. Let's face it(and I think Darren and David mentioned it in their S4 review) at this point Unas were beastly aliens alligned with the Goa'uld, end of.

2. Chaka bopping about in front of the lake, what exactly was he doing? Confused the hell out of me.

3. Don't remember seeing that brief Hawkins eye glow first time round.

4. Interesting seeing the relationship between Daniel and Chaka go back and forth.

5. Rothman as Goa'uld - didn't see that one coming, certainly wasn't a redshirt.
                                I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Working...
                                X