No announcement yet.

The First Ones (408)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A pretty cool ep. The start of the friendship between Daniel and Chaka. The primordial Goa'uld made things interesting.

The first appearance of the P90's
    sigpic

Comment

The episode was good indeed. I liked that we got the chance to see the Goa'uld's homeworld.
      Oh and hello P-90!
      It's all about startegy. Out-maneuvering the opposition, bending him to your will.
      -Dexter-

Comment

This was a good episode, season four seems to be full of them. Daniel and Chaka scenes were great, Daniels personality really shines here - his thirst at interacting with new cultures eventually comes out - we finally get a Daniel-centric episode where he doesn't either die or fall in love with some psychotic alien women.

I always wondered about the naquada-goa'ulds versus the non-naquada ones. I wonder if something else set them apart and why it was introduced.

Oh and hello P-90!
        <--- Was this the first time we see them in the show?
        Oh for a book and a shady nook ~ Jules' Book Reviews - my book review site.

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post
          Well, the SGC usually doesn't have to worry about flying symbiotes. This was the one and only time they encountered the primordial Goa'uld. Ever since Kawalsky and Sam fell victim to the Goa'uld/Tok'ra I think they've been a lot more careful and keeping an eye out off-world as well as in post mission exams. Overall they're only confronted with being snaked by an enemy and I doubt gorgets would stop them.
          true - I suppose full face helmet and plate protecting the spinal cord would be better (but would mess up the acting) but after id posted I did some checking and the current body us Armour (interceptor) in use does have neck armour.

Of topic but in Atlantis I always wondered why they did not have bobby trapped chest plates the wraith whacks you to feed and a hidden barb injects him with the poison.
          ----------------------------
          You will never get to heaven with an Ak 47... But A Zu 30 is good for Low Flying Cherubim

Comment

Only Daniel would make friends with an Unas while its intentions were to feed him to his leader. Dr. Rothman becoming a Gou'ald didn't really bother me he was kind of annoying. In all this wasn't a bad episode.
            My favorite TV shows

sigpic

Comment

I thought it was a pretty good episode.

We got a little more information about the Unas, and Daniel made a new friend.

Stuff from the commentary (I had to take notes because there's a lot of stuff):
              • Peter was mostly serious in this commentary
              • An inspiration for this episode was from the movie "Enemy Mine," not to be confused with the episode in Season 7
              • The amount of references to the movie Predator
              • Robert Rothman is named after Jonathan Glassner's Lawyer
              • Pierce is named after Brad Wright's nephew.
              • The larva in the water is a fish on fishing line.
              • The whole larva in the fire was created by Shanks
              • That's a crew member, he screwed up the shot many times because he always grabbed his radio
                Spoiler:
              • When Rothman is revealed to be a Goa'uld and hits Teal'c with his staff, took 3 takes because the staff prop broke each time.
              • Killing Rothman was not Peter's idea, he's friends with Rothman's actor.
              • The drowning scene was shot in slow motion, then played at normal speed during the episode.

Tomorrow, I don't know what's going to happen, haven't seen the episode in a while.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NowIWillDestroyAbydos View Post
                • Peter was mostly serious in this commentary
                Hm. Might make it one of the rare PDL commentaries that's worth watching.

Seaboe
                If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

Whilst this episode always reminds me of one of my favourite movies 'Enemy Mine', it's good for finding out more about the origins of the Goa'uld.

Explains why Hathor hatched them into water and they milled around in there until implantation. They were always kept in tanks of water by the priests on Chulak as seen in season 1's 'Bloodlines'. I guess the primeval Goa'uld lurked in that lake until they were strong enough to jump out and get their ready supply of initially unsuspecting hosts who would always come for water. I guess this is how they evolved to find other ways of maturing outside of the water as the Unas hosts took them through the stargate in the early days.

"Toss the symbiote head" game, always a fun moment to watch.

Comment

This one's my favourite.
                    My LiveJournal post
                    "Thanks to denial, I'm immortal."
                    "A big 'Hello' to all intelligent life out there, and for everyone else, the secret is to bang the rocks together, guys!"
                    "Excuse me, barmaid? You seem to have brought me the wrong offspring. I ordered an extra large boy with beefy arms, extra guts and glory on the side. This here, this is a talking fishbone!"
                    "I'm Jack. It means... what's in the box?"

sigpic
                    >-- Czechs Rock! >--

Comment

Overall they're only confronted with being snaked by an enemy and I doubt gorgets would stop them.
                      They seemed to work for the Unas..

"Toss the symbiote head" game, always a fun moment to watch.
                      That always made me crack up as well.

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                        They seemed to work for the Unas..
                        But SGC personnel is usually only under threat of being snaked by an enemy who has captured them; Unless those gorgets would be fused to their skin, I doubt they have any preventative effect...
                        Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                        Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                        On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

This episode makes for a fun drinking game. Everytime Daniel says or does something boring you drink a shot. By the end of the episode I was engaging in a duel with the fridge

Joking aside this episode is just dull. It explains in its own rights why all the aliens speak English. Spending all the time Daniel takes to understand how to communicate with CHaka is just boring and I find myself doing other tasks to keep me awake. I was more interested in seeing SG1 chasing Daniel and the insuring Goa'uld posession that hapened as a result of being on the Goa'uld homeworld. It was a surprise to me to see Rothman as a Goa'uld and unfortunate he died. First use of a P90 which in itself is awesome
                          Originally posted by aretood2
                          Jelgate is right

Comment

Why didn't Samantha Carter detect the goa'uld in Hawkins and Rothman??
                            Too bad the character Rothman was dispensed with. I thought he had potential in the two episodes I saw with him in them.
                            Poor Chaka........He could have had potential to become the equivalent of a Klingon in Star Trek the Next Generation. But I did notice that the mask and teeth were the same as those of a couple of aliens on the new Outer Limits..........

Comment

Sam can detect naquadah, but these primordial symbiotes don't have naquadah in their systems so there was nothing for her to detect.
                              Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                              Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                              On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

I should have remembered. ;-)
                                Anyway, didn't Teal'c say he was going off to find Daniel after everyone was tied up? I guess it was a ruse because he knew at least one was a goa'uld, so he decided just to wait around and fool the goa'uld.
                                Isn't there the chance that as soon as the person is shot the goa'uld will jump out and penetrate someone else?

I assume that the primitive Unas live on a planet with no goa'uld possessed Unas. I wonder why the goa'ulds even ever wanted to bother to use the Unas as hosts considering how little benefit they could provide since the goa'uld were more intelligent than the Unas.

Didn't the SGC team on the planet take any precautions since they knew they were on the goa'uld home world?
                                Like not go near the water? Pretty simple precaution........

How did Hawkins and even Rothman get goa'ulded when the Unas had killed everyone except Daniel?

Sam can detect naquadah, but these primordial symbiotes don't have naquadah in their systems so there was nothing for her to detect.

Comment

Working...
                                X