No announcement yet.

Watergate (407)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cool episode and I really enjoyed the claustophobic feel of the Russian base (reminded me of The Thing a bit).

Maybourne, oh dear...
    sigpic

Comment

You've seen that base before--twice. They used that building in Tin Man and Beneath the Surface as well.

Seaboe
      If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

It is good that it's not so easily noticed - otherwise the audience would feel bored quite fast. They did good in changing the base.
        CARPE DIEM
        ANJA

Comment

I always thought it sounded like a location scout's dream--it could be a number of different locations depending on where inside you filmed. I understand all the interesting guts were later pulled out, leaving a large, empty, boring space.

Seaboe
          If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

There's only a finite number of locations that fit what a show needs to tell a particular story where a production can avoid building an expensive set. Stargate would have more of a problem due the longevity of the franchise. Guess they had to become more inventive with filming different angles, dressing up the location with props, using different lighting, tighter filming so locations would not be so recognisable as a place used before. They did a pretty good job in this episode, I never recognised it as a place used before.

Comment

Holy frozen bad guys!

Was thinking Daniel's Swiss watch/sub line was very Jack-like right before he added the 'hanging around Jack' line

Comment

I feel a little underwhelmed with this episode. The Russians fished the stargate from the bottom of the ocean and start tinkering with it, at the risk of running into a snag -- as they did -- and giving up their secret to the SGC -- as they did.

But at least, they have the DHD -- which they brought home from the Germans after WWII, a parting gift from the enemy.

So, they gated to a planet, that we'll never hear from again. Encountered a race of watery aliens, we'll never hear from again. Joke about things made by the Swiss -- catches fire, but keeps perfect timing -- will never hear from them again either.

There's a frozen Maybourne, who is committing treason by divulging state secrets to the Russians. And a bunch of dead Russians -- seriously nerve gas ... they do love their nerve gas though (see recent assassination attempt in the UK).

How would you rate SG-1's "Watergate?"

Excellent
                Good
                Fair
                Poor
                Terrible

I'm still giving it a good, even though it's closer to a fair, but I do love the imagery of the sub in the underwater world, and the character interaction + Teal'c questioning whether it's wise to trust a parashute to keep you from going splat after jumping out of a plane.
                Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

So it's going to be one of those weeks FH? You should of used one of my made up ranking
                  Originally posted by aretood2
                  Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                    So it's going to be one of those weeks FH? You should of used one of my made up ranking
                    Oh well... I kinda forgot about those...

Comment

You should throw in a few positive politicians answers, like "That's a DEFINITE maybe"
                      http://i.imgur.com/gDxdl9E.gif

​ ​

Comment

Originally posted by Who Knows View Post
                        You should throw in a few positive politicians answers, like "That's a DEFINITE maybe

We'll take that into consideration.
                        Or, I'll get back to you (sometime next year).

Comment

I'm strangely fond of this episode. I agree that plotwise it deserves a fair at most (I hate the treason plotline, because the writers have no clue what treason actually is), but I love watching it. Particularly Daniel's snarkiness in the submarine, and when Jack says "darn, I've never been in one before"--and we, the audience, know he's lying through his teeth.

Seaboe

Comment

Originally posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
                            Particularly Daniel's snarkiness in the submarine, and when Jack says "darn, I've never been in one before"--and we, the audience, know he's lying through his teeth.
                            When Daniel realizes he's been around Jack too long --
                            And Jack's face when he says that. It's like, "you know, I'm lying but I don't care." -- Svetlana's face is priceless though, barely keeping her eyes from rolling around in their sockets.

Comment

This concludes week 25 (which was last week -- this week is 26 by the way, so that'll follow suit).

3-episode quiz: Window Of Opportunity, Watergate & The First Ones

Jigsaw puzzle: Watergate

Comment

I quite like this episode as it furthers a lot of potential plotlines. It starts the catalyst for the Jack and Maybourne stories which I always find hilarious. The best thing in that story was make Maybourne a traitor. But maybe I'm rambling on again. Their was so much wasted potential on this episode. The water aliens were interesting and the ominious ending where "we traded hostages" was a great way to do a follow up that was never continued which is disappointing. It was a new kind of alien I don't think we ever see again. And yes like FH and Sea commented the snark between Russian doctor (I'm not going to attempt to spell her name)was hilarious.. I guess the good thing is that this episode starts the political fighting between the SGC and Russia. Yes its portrayed unrealistically but this isn't Madam Secetary FH. Its a good with a 6 minutes 58 seconds
                                Originally posted by aretood2
                                Jelgate is right

Comment

Working...
                                X