Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Watergate (407)

Lieutenant Colonel Major Fischer's Avatar

Default Re: Watergate (407)

Quote Originally Posted by somme
    I think she should come back again.
    i'd love to see her back. But i"d love to see her back in an episode where everyone remembers the a on the end of her surname....

Captain Cpn. Chris(tine) Bowman's Avatar

I watched the episode only because Marina Sirtis was one it (ok, I liked her as Deanna Troi, ok?)
    Ended up laughing so hard The whole bit about the sub being Swiss was great, so clever

"Markov: Is her always like this?
    Carter: Actually, this is quite charming."

"Teal'c: Do not humans usually die when they are frozen?" I wonder how CJ managed to keep a straight face saying that.
    May our transmatter beams cross again...

Proud Member of the Chevron Guy Club

"Out of that sea of stars came all the elements that make me what I am. "

Quote Originally Posted by Cpn. Chris(tine) Bowman
    "Markov: Is he always like this?
    Carter: Actually, this is quite charming."
    Yeah, that was great. Also when Jack asked her how she read about SG-1. (learn english)
    I think that part when they are in the place, and all is dark was little frightening. Like X-files
    Dogs are my favorite people.
    If they don't have chocolate in heaven, I ain't going.

This made me wonder: if humans normally die when frozen, explain cryogenics to me.

Cryogenics works on small scales. If a living cell is frozen quickly enough it will survive being frozen and thawed. Lots of marine creatures spend the winter encased in ice, and we know that bacteria are not killed by freezing food. This is why sperm can be frozen, they're tiny.

Human adults are too large to be frozen solid very quickly. There are loads of stories of babies who wandered out into the Russian / Canadian winter in nothing but a nappy and been found three hours later frozen solid in a snowdrift and then revived to no ill-effect, but homeless adults who spend cold winter nights outside don't tend to be so fortunate.

The companies that freeze people's bodies and store them after death for possible revival at a later date freeze the bodies from the inside as well as outside so that the internal organs freeze swiftly enough.

Madeleine

Thanks for the explaination Madeleine! That's very interesting.

Stargate Re: Watergate (407)

Any comments on the gate of this episode? How a wormhole opens in water, and why water does not come rushing through...

I might be sounding sentemental, but I thought that it was nice to see the original Gate and DHD connected up for the first time in thousands of years!
    End Transmission.

Quote Originally Posted by rocket4477
    Thanks for the explaination Madeleine! That's very interesting.
    I'd also note that as far as I'm aware, nobody's ever successfully thawed a body frozen cryogenically ...
    My LiveJournal.

If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere.
    -Frank A. Clark

An optimist may see a light where there is none, but why must the pessimist always run to blow it out?
    -Michel de Saint-Pierre

Now, there's this about cynicism. It's the universe's most supine moral position. Real comfortable. If nothing can be done, then you're not some kind of **** for not doing it, and you can lie there and stink to yourself in perfect peace.
    -Lois McMaster Bujold, "The Borders of Infinity"

First Lieutenant Hex.FTB.enabled's Avatar

Hmm, I guess I'm in the minority here. I really didn't care for this particular episode, I just couldn't get into the plotline no matter how hard I tried. Even with Maybourne, the episode just seemed flat to me. But I did the like lines about the sub being Swiss and "I've been hanging around Jack O'Neill too long."
    And it came to pass that in time the Great God Om spake unto Brutha, the Chosen One: "Psst!"

Jack: You're so shallow.
    Daniel: Oh please. Teal'c is like one of the deepest people I know. He's so deep. Tell him how deep you are. You'll be lucky if you understand this.
    Teal'c: My depth is immaterial to this conversation.
    Daniel: Oh! You see?
    Jack: (to Daniel) No more beer for you.

River: My food is problematic.

http://img102.echo.cx/img102/2473/kodama29vo7sm.gif http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...ner2_copy6.jpg

Another Maybourne episode. Enough said.

it started amazing and in the end it was very slow and... boring and...flat
    like the episode's idea, very cool!
    love Marina Sirtis!!!

Any comments on the gate of this episode? How a wormhole opens in water, and why water does not come rushing through...
    They discuss this in the episode actually (Sam and Markov do). Sam developed a theory which Markov adopted -- basically that the gate can detect what matter is moving ambiently and what matter is moving in a gate-directed fashion, or something like that. However, that could create problems -- such as how (in say SGA) do they open the gate and fly through it with a puddlejumper when the puddlejumper is already in movement towards the gate before the gate is activated? *scratches head in confusion*

I liked the semi-competitiveness between Sam and Markov. I enjoy when Sam is compared to other scientists, and how she always comes out on top (as when compared to Maybourne's scientist in Shades of Grey -- Sam beat her out of the SGC position). Go Sam!

Maybourne is such a little traitor and skunk. He needs to die!

I wish they had followed up on this ep -- I know they never do but they REALLY should have in this case. What happened with the other gate and the DHD? Do the Russians keep it and maintain their own SG program? Or do they turn it over (or sell or trade) to the USA? Or do they simply stop using the devices? These issues really affect the daily life of the SGC so it is extremely unrealistic that the show does not deal with them. Hrmph.

Quote Originally Posted by fair_nymph
    I wish they had followed up on this ep -- I know they never do but they REALLY should have in this case. What happened with the other gate and the DHD? Do the Russians keep it and maintain their own SG program? Or do they turn it over (or sell or trade) to the USA? Or do they simply stop using the devices? These issues really affect the daily life of the SGC so it is extremely unrealistic that the show does not deal with them. Hrmph.
    Well Russia kept the gate and the DHD, but supposedly we paid them and let them have their own team at the SGC so they stopped using their gate but they still maintained possession of it. We do get answers later as to what eventually happens to the gate and DHD that the Russians had.

Season 5, “48 Hours”
    Spoiler:
    Teal’c is trapped in the Stargate when it shuts off early and Daniel has to go negotiate with the Russians so we can borrow their DHD, for a price of course. We hook it up to ours and reestablish the wormhole, Teal’c comes through, DHD overloads, and boom DHD blows up. No more DHD.
    I guess what I want to know is what happened to the DHD found in Antarctica with the second gate because that is not the same one the Russians had. I guess there was a reason we could never uses it but that explanation and in which episode it came escapes me at the moment. I remember it being seen again in "Touchstone" and then......it disappears.

Season 6, Redemption I & II
    Spoiler:
    Again we get in trouble because Anubis is trying to blow up our gate by using and Ancient device to overload the gate. Taking a cue from Jonas, we strap our gate to an F-302 and send it hurdling into space where it blows up. Again we make some deal with the Russians involving more money, etc. and we get their gate.

I started out not caring much for this episode, but after years of repeats, I enjoy it, and not just because it has some of my all time favorite Daniel quips in it. “But it’s Swiss!” etc.
    IMO always implied.

In a much later episode didn't they say the DHD in Antarctica ran out of energy?

Darnit, gonna have to wait a while before I read those spoilers (thanks for using them, btw!). Just finished season 4. Four more seasons to go before July and then I'll be right on track.

I liked this episode. One thing though. It was mentioned again that the Goa'uld could not maintain a wormhole for more than 38 minutes. Yet they determine this wormhole is staying open because the Russian drone is sending a signal through the gate. Why then did the wormhole shutdown after 38 minutes, while Sokar was continously sending the signal of the particle beam through the wormhole?

^ Good point mate. I did notice that but presumed they just got it wrong.
    I think all the russian episodes are funny, this one was good and it was odd to see a gate underwater. Can't see SG1 doing a seaquest type episode though--*our new member of the team is called Flipper*

Quote Originally Posted by fair_nymph
    They discuss this in the episode actually (Sam and Markov do). Sam developed a theory which Markov adopted -- basically that the gate can detect what matter is moving ambiently and what matter is moving in a gate-directed fashion, or something like that. However, that could create problems -- such as how (in say SGA) do they open the gate and fly through it with a puddlejumper when the puddlejumper is already in movement towards the gate before the gate is activated? *scratches head in confusion*
    Well, even if it starts moving before the Gate is activated, it's still not the same as ambient particles that surround the Gate moving randomly, which is what the atmosphere surrounding the Gate (and the water in Watergate) is made up of. The Puddle-Jumper is a large, coherent mass (that is quite distinct from the ambient particles of air/dust/etc) moving together. It's not hard to tell the difference, y'know?

The Russians shut down their program; I believe they mention this at the end of the episode. Later, in the episode 48 Minutes, we lease their DHD to get Teal'c out of the Gate; it is destroyed in the resulting explosion. In Redemption II the SGC's gate is destroyed by Anubis; we lease the Russian Gate and that's the one we have from there on out.
    My LiveJournal.

If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere.
    -Frank A. Clark

An optimist may see a light where there is none, but why must the pessimist always run to blow it out?
    -Michel de Saint-Pierre

Now, there's this about cynicism. It's the universe's most supine moral position. Real comfortable. If nothing can be done, then you're not some kind of **** for not doing it, and you can lie there and stink to yourself in perfect peace.
    -Lois McMaster Bujold, "The Borders of Infinity"

I think this is a turning point episode. Maybourne learns that aliens are not simply soul-less beings for the NID to research, Daniel gets a chance to show his "Jack O'Neill" side, we learn another fact concerning stargate physics. Great stuff!

"The gauge must be broken" "But its swiss" great line from Jackson one easy to remeber!! Interesting Episode, rhought provoking and just showed how good S4 was going to be!

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast