Page 2 of 45 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast
    First Lieutenant KorbenDirewolf's Avatar

Default Re: Window of Opportunity (406)

Umm.. I thought they did? wasn't gate travel limited to the stargates within the bubble?
    The opinions of KorbenDirewolf do not necessrily represent the opinions of other male U.S. residents between the ages of 18 and 25.

http://home.graffiti.net/kdiw/indiv.jpg

DHD Re: Window of Opportunity (406)

I would have to say this is one of my fave eps, I loved the kiss, I like how at the end Jack ate Oatmeal insted of fruit loops (which he luvs) and most of all when Jack and Teal'c are playing Golf in the gate room with an open wormhole (how kwool is that), but i was woundering what was on the other side? I mean what if they hit someone or something in the head, we may never know. DF

Well, technically, it never happened in realtime since everyone within the subspace bubble lost their memory for every loop except O'Neill, Teal'c, and Malakai.

Here are my thoughts on what I have read by other viewers and their posts.

For the one questioning about what kind of series this is, I would say its a great series that mixes comedy and all seriousness in it. What I love the most is when the SG-1 is stranded in a bad situation and Jack pulls a Jackism, like in season6's Full Circle in which Jack tells Herak that he needs to tell Anubis that they will be given safe passage to the gate or that they would destroy the eye, and on top of that, for the humor, he told him to go tell Anubis that he (Herak) screwed up again. I just love how Jack breaks the ice in even the most serious scenarios.

And my thought on dialing out to a gate in the bubble. My guess is that since both gates would be in the bubble, they would still get affected by the gate /Time dialing device on P4X-639 and still suffer the timelooping.

And my thought on what were to happen if they died during the looping.. My guess is that they would still be alive since they are trapped in a different part of the subspace rules of physics. Because time keeps going back to the way it was, they could do anything, even die (which they had before mind you) and still be alive for when it loops)
    Last edited by Andy867; May 19th, 2004 at 09:30 PM.

Staff Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by nugglebugget
    ...If there was a way of going back in time & preventing "Charlie's" death,how would Jack deal with it.He knows what is out there & eventually it'd come to Earth.Would he be willing to stay with his family & just let somebody else handle it,going against his protective take-charge nature or would he give in and try to be a part of the SGC program ...
    Had Jack been able to do that, he would still have volunteered to take part in the Abydos mission. But I'd say he wouldn't have gone with such a suicidal outlook on the whole thing. Then again, he would have known exactly what to expect when Ra showed up... my head hurts.

I agree. Even if Charlie was to have lived, I still believe that Col. O'Neill would have gone along with the mission to Abydos, especially since his would have still be active in the USAF.
    Red counter: 14 Dings and growing.

Green (positive) JELLO donations are always welcome

Mckay: Oh my god, He IS Kirk...

Chief Master Sergeant

I'm sure I've watched this episode twice as many times as any other. Way better than the Other Guys eps ::cringe::

Chevron Re: Window of Opportunity (406)

This is defiantly my favorite episode EVER!!

Here's a question, once the loop was broken, do you think Jack and Teal'c told anyone about what they did? E.g. Wormhole golf etc.

Well, seeing as how they (well, more so Jack than Teal'c) is bound by military regulations to note any unusual circumstances experienced during any mission, I would think that they would have to mention some of the stuff, though I think that Jack may have had ommitted the instance in which he retired so that he could be with Carter.

I love this episode! It's so funny at the beginning of the loop when Daniel asks the question and Jack's reaction to it! lol. I wonder what the question is though...

Lieutenant Colonel Elwe Singollo's Avatar

Yah, i'm so sad i don't have the dvd yet!

Chief Master Sergeant Animalian's Avatar

Ok you know what had me laughing? First was the:

"Right in the middle of my back swing?!"

But then what really had me falling of my foam chair laughing was this:

TEAL'C: O'Neill? Should we not be assisting DanielJackson with the
    translation?

JACK: I'm taking this loop off. (He starts squirting ketchup and mustard onto the plate) I'm tellin' ya, Teal'C, If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna loose it. (Teal'C cocks his head looking confused) Lose it? It means go crazy ... nuts ... (He gets progressively louder and faster in his talking. All the while squirting that ketchup and mustard) insane ... Bonzo ... No longer in possession of one's faculties ... Three fries short of a Happy Meal ... WACKO!!

The image shown on the plate....

Lieutenant Colonel Elwe Singollo's Avatar

That was so funny , 'take the loop off', thats halrious.

I think Jack's synonyming is alot of fun. If I remember correctly, Jack did the same thing in Urgo, just with "ciao".

Yea, that was hilarious when he was explaining to Teal'c the meaning of Ciao and all of the words that meant another term, and after walking through the stargate saying means and back into the SGC, he says goodbye?.

This ep. proves that Jack isn't as thick as he looks. Given enough time he can even learn the Ancients language, without having it put there by alien tech.
    http://forum.gateworld.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=29235&d=1297874202

Both Jack and Teal'c learned it. But what happened to the knowledge? Did they just forget it?
    It appeared that they learned it better than Daniel did, so they would be a great translating tool.
    Dark Helmet: So, Lone Starr, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.
    Dark Helmet: No, it's not what you think. It's much, much worse!

Col. Sandurz: Prepare for light speed.
    Dark Helmet: No, no, light speed is too slow.
    Col. Sandurz: Light speed too slow?
    Dark Helmet: Yes, we'll have to go right to...Ludicrous speed!
    Col. Sandurz:Ludicrous speed! Sir, we've never gone that fast before. I don't think the ship can take it.
    Dark Helmet: What's the matter, Colonel Sandurz...CHICKEN?!

well, the thing with languages is that unless you keep practicing and are exposed to it, the less you remember, and with that being back in Season 4, and now us going into Season 8, without the repository or constant studying, Jack (more than Teal'c) will have forgotten almost everything. Teal'c, like all Jaffa, have exceptionally good memory, as noted by Bra'tac when they were visiting the rebel Jaffa warriors that were being led around by the minor Goa'uld Imhotep. So, he probably would remember it more, or retained more of the Latin language.

I heard, or read, that one of the cast had said that they tried to a fun episode every season. This the one for this season. It is also one of my favorites.

I love this episode, but here are a few random thoughts that I have about it. If this was discussed on the old forum, then I’m sorry for the repetition, but I only stumbled across the old forum about a month before it moved.

I have always wondered if the language written on the chalkboards that Daniel, Jack, and Teal’c were translating was already written out before the time loop or did Daniel have to redo it every loop? I’d find that very time consuming if it had to be redone every loop. I guess Daniel could have already been working on it using the info SG-15 brought back, but then why would he be taking rubbings of the writing in the opening sequence if SG-15 had documented the site. (Daniel said they took photos that were somewhat equivalent to 400 pages of alien text.) If it had been written out before the loop started, don’t you think Daniel would have already been working on the translation? He lives to translate stuff so I could see him forgoing sleep to work on that especially since it was Ancient (or a variation of). I know I’m being a little nitpicky, but it makes me wonder.

I’ve also wondered why do Jack and Teal’c have to actually learn Latin. I mean Daniel already knows how to speak/translate Latin, I assume. He corrected Malaki on the planet when reading a panel on the pedestal. The writing on the chalkboard was not Latin, but when spoken it is similar to Latin. Therefore, couldn’t Daniel just read it to himself and translate as he went. I guess he could have been using Jack and Teal’c to look up Latin words for clarification to save him some time. Jack and Teal’c couldn’t be helping because they can’t read Ancient (unless Daniel has an Ancient to Latin to English reference book), thus they can’t speak it as Latin, so how are they going to know what word to look up in Latin For the Novice. My rambling probably makes no sense. So basically what I’m saying is I don’t see why Daniel needs Jack and Teal’c help. All Daniel needs to do is work on translating the writing to English, and then an hour or so before the loop is to restart, Jack and Teal’c show up and memorize what Daniel has translated so far. Then when the next loop starts, and they’ve convinced Daniel to work on translating, Jack and T just tell Daniel what they know so far, and Daniel can pick up and go from there. I know it's just a TV show and this was part of the plot, but logically why would Daniel need their help because wouldn't they just slow him down?

Here’s another one for you. I saw this particular one mentioned on someone’s nitpick site. On this thread, the question has been asked what if Jack or Teal’c die, will they come back the next loop? This other site raises the question and suggests that the answer may have already been given with Daniel being the proof. It posed the possibility that maybe Daniel died the first time when Malaki shot him (though Carter didn’t look overly concerned when she checked on him, IMO). Their theory was based on dialogue at the end of the episode.

Daniel: “Malaki, the device doesn’t work.”

Daniel (cont’d): “It never did.”

Malaki: “It never did? You’re living proof.”

Is Malaki suggesting he killed Daniel when he shot him? I just ran across the site that suggested this yesterday and had never myself considered that maybe Daniel died. How many times does that make? Since the episode tips its hat to “Groundhog Day” (Btw I love that movie. “Don’t drive angry." ), I have always figured anyone who died within the loop would return when it was reset, even Jack and Teal’c. Who knows how many times Bill Murray killed himself in the movie.

Okay last one. Did Jack and Teal’c require any sleep during all that looping? I’ve seen it mentioned elsewhere. I guess since time resets itself, then their bodies reset themselves, too, but wouldn’t that feel weird to never sleep for over three months or more. I mean Jack and Teal’c would be consciously aware of that fact.

Oh and where did they get the golf clubs and clothes, whose bicycle is that, where is that potter’s wheel, … I could go on and on, but I’ve got four hours of driving ahead of me tomorrow and I guess I need to go to sleep.

I love this episode for its infinite rewatchability. (Is that a word?) If forced to pick one episode as my favorite of the series, it would have to be this one, but I hate to do that because I like so many others, each for different reasons.

(P.S. Well, seeing that I can't access the forum now (at 3:22 am CST, July 1) to post this, I guess I'll just have to e-mail it to myself and post it when I get back to Texas tomorrow. Thank goodness I wrote this on MS Word first. I've typed other posts in the reply box and go to post and it erases what I wrote b/c it logged me out or it can't access the site anymore and I can't remember what I wrote. I try not to make that mistake again if I'm going to write anything of length.)

Just remembered I never got around to posting this.

WOW! Certainly a long and detailed post

Let me think. Well, if Daniel did actually die, it wouldn't be the first time and probably not the last!

However, if you know the device doesn't work, why bother trying to fix it?

Page 2 of 45 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast