This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The End of King Arthur

After season 8 was over and I started reading spoilers for s9; Arthurian mythology was implied to be a major plot this season. At least I assumed the mythology was going to be involved in more than barely two episodes. Is Avalon going to be the only episode about Arthur, Merlin, and round table etc.? I've been staying away from spoilers and writer's blogs, so this question could've already been asked and/or answered. Were you satisfied with how much Avalon got into this mythology and would any of you like a few more episodes with this mythology involved? How would you like it put into Sg-1 if you're not satisfied already? I'm not sure myself, but would like to know whether this storyline has been dropped.
    Last edited by !Dorentus!; 20 August 2005, 03:45 PM.
    Things I've learned about the Stargate Universe:
    1. Don't kiss a goa'uld.
    2. Don't shake hands with a Wraith.
    3. Whacko! are the Ori. It's their way or the hot way.

Based on the titles of the last two eps of the year I wouldnt count out the Authurian mythology yet.

I guess the names could qualify as spoilers so
    Spoiler:

Episode 919 CRUSADE
    Season finally CAMELOT
    Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

like AGateFan said, last two episodes!

And I had assumed we'd have more Norse Mythology when Thor was introduced.
      Hallowed are the Xander. Love, Worship, and Rep/Green your all-powerful, omniscient God!

Comment

Originally posted by AGateFan
        Based on the titles of the last two eps of the year I wouldnt count out the Authurian mythology yet.

I guess the names could qualify as spoilers so
        Spoiler:

Episode 919 CRUSADE
        Season finally CAMELOT
        That's a long time in between episodes; the first and the last episodes are the only ones.
        Spoiler:
        "Crusade"
        [/QUOTE] could only be referring to a mass prior religious invasion of some kind and not have anything to do with Arthur unless it's part 1 of two episodes. Again, I have not read any spoilers and don't intend to so this is just speculation.
        1. Don't kiss a goa'uld.

Comment

I believe Season 9 has a two-parter finale with a cliffhanger... that means it'll be like Atlantis Season 1 finale and Season 2 opener aka two episodes at the end of the season and one episode as the opener of the next season... so technically a three-parter.
          Hallowed are the Xander. Love, Worship, and Rep/Green your all-powerful, omniscient God!

Comment

Originally posted by Xanderic
            I believe Season 9 has a two-parter finale with a cliffhanger... that means it'll be like Atlantis Season 1 finale and Season 2 opener aka two episodes at the end of the season and one episode as the opener of the next season... so technically a three-parter.
            Great then. I can't wait to see how they'll wrap up the three-parter next season.
            sigpic
            MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
            "...phu...ah..."
            "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
            Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

I sure do hope that they taugh base on the hole Avalon, king Aurther Myth. My only problem with it is that the Myth is based here on Earth and the Ori don't know about our existance. Unless if King Arther and all of that was built when they fled and Avolan is a flying city that was kept in our Galaxy to defend against the Ori. Leaving Atlantis to go and explore another Galaxy just in cas they need to retreat, again. More like an Alpha Galaxy.
              *Post in Peace, Yah or Nah*
              *Go to Sokar you Cylon fracker*
              *I can't spell vary good, but I can read mis- spelled words vary good*
              *And then the Ori said, "if your thread is dead then let their be a new one"*
              *It's Science Fiction. Not Science with Fiction.*
              *Sproiler Tags should only be used when you are going to be mentioning something that you can't already read on Gateworld*
              *When I talk out my butt it smells like sarcasm*

Comment

Originally posted by LORD MONK
                I sure do hope that they taugh base on the hole Avalon, king Aurther Myth. My only problem with it is that the Myth is based here on Earth and the Ori don't know about our existance. Unless if King Arther and all of that was built when they fled and Avolan is a flying city that was kept in our Galaxy to defend against the Ori. Leaving Atlantis to go and explore another Galaxy just in cas they need to retreat, again. More like an Alpha Galaxy
                I don't think the legend has to do only with earth (at least in the stargate universe) I heard somewhere, can't remember though, that Camelot was supposed to be a whole nother planet and Avalon was the ancient name for earth. But then again wasn't earh's name Terra Atlantus? Anyway just speculating
                Originally posted by Xanderic
                Thx for the info Xanderic, that's all I really wanted to know. That, and other people's opinions about their satisfaction of Arthurian legend in Stargate.
                1. Don't kiss a goa'uld.

Comment

I sure do hope that they taugh base on the hole Avalon, king Aurther Myth. My only problem with it is that the Myth is based here on Earth and the Ori don't know about our existance. Unless if King Arther and all of that was built when they fled and Avolan is a flying city that was kept in our Galaxy to defend against the Ori. Leaving Atlantis to go and explore another Galaxy just in cas they need to retreat, again. More like an Alpha Galaxy.
                  Personally I think the Arthurian Legend will come back when they realise the true nature of excalibur. Only Cameron could wield it and its too legendary to just be a simple sword. Only a hunch but I think that in Camelot they will use the sword to find something to fight the Ori Crusade.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Steve_the_Wraith
                    Personally I think the Arthurian Legend will come back when they realise the true nature of excalibur. Only Cameron could wield it and its too legendary to just be a simple sword. Only a hunch but I think that in Camelot they will use the sword to find something to fight the Ori Crusade.
                    Sounds like a pretty logical hunch to me. I would be disappointed if the sword turns out to be nothing but a fancy hologram only mentioned in 'Avalon' but don't tell me if anybody knows. I like surprises.
                    1. Don't kiss a goa'uld.

Comment

I was thinking that
                      Spoiler:
                      crusade was about earth rounding up other "unbelievers" and go to planets controlled by the orii & turn the people of those planets away and the orii try to stop earth from succeeding in their "crusade"
                      Last edited by orii7; 21 August 2005, 03:47 PM.

This pic was made by the Hyper-Intelligent being known as.....Metarock Sam!

Spoiler:

This fabulous sig made by Myn McGeek, Third Sentinel

Comment

Exactly. TPTB wont base an enemy on a Myth and then not go through with it. Eventually they will bring the hole King Aurther back into play.
                        *Post in Peace, Yah or Nah*
                        *Go to Sokar you Cylon fracker*
                        *I can't spell vary good, but I can read mis- spelled words vary good*
                        *And then the Ori said, "if your thread is dead then let their be a new one"*
                        *It's Science Fiction. Not Science with Fiction.*
                        *Sproiler Tags should only be used when you are going to be mentioning something that you can't already read on Gateworld*
                        *When I talk out my butt it smells like sarcasm*

Comment

Interesting idea, but as Daniel said, the sword in the stone was never Excalibur. I do hope that they find some way to work Excalibur into the show, though. Maybe the Lady of the Lake, too.
                          Thornbird: I'm Major Robort Thornbird. And you are?
                          Jack: Captain James T. Kirk of the starship Enterprise.
                          Thornbird: Your dog tags say otherwise.
                          Jack: ... They're lying.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCorpulent1
                            Interesting idea, but as Daniel said, the sword in the stone was never Excalibur. I do hope that they find some way to work Excalibur into the show, though. Maybe the Lady of the Lake, too.
                            I went back and checked the transcript and your right the original sword in the stone isn't excalibur (although in some legends the lady didn't create a new sword just reforged the broken one). If the original sword was destroyed then theres still the chance that the sword SG-1 found was excalibur.
                            sigpic

Comment

Exactly. TPTB wont base an enemy on a Myth and then not go through with it. Eventually they will bring the hole King Aurther back into play.
                              Very cool topic.

Didn't we hear in Ep1 that Merlin was probably Ancient? In the Arthurian legend, Arthur was supposedly almost killed (by his incest borne-son) but only "almost' died. And that just before his last breath, Merlin "spirited him away" to Avalon to sleep until the hour of Britain's greatest need-- Arthur would then return to fight for his people.

Sounds like a lot of room for a season finale dealing with an attack of the Ori and the defense of Earth by Merlin the Ancient and/or the Ascended Arthur.

What d'ya'll think?

(P.S. Anyone familiar with T.H. Lawrence or Mary Stewart? or C.S.Lewis' "That Hideous Strength?")
                              Last edited by Terrarin; 30 August 2005, 05:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X