No announcement yet.

Divide and Conquer (405)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

err..an okay episode pity about Martouf but what you going to do about it ehh! Thank God Jack and Sam arent Zatarcs and they finaly admitted their were feelings for each other even though they never talked about it since! lol

Comment

Actually, when Sam said that it wouldn't "leave the room" she meant it literally. Every night when everyone else has left the base they run back to that room, lock the doors and get on with the lovin'.

And speaking of the lovin', what's with the folks who hate Annise/Freya for her supposed lack of clothing? I think it's just a contrast - because of all the uniforms and stuff, the SGC usually looks more virginal than a fundamentalist private highschool. Her costume in this episode was kinda un-Tok'ra-ish, but her other ones were neat. It's not at all unusual to see people wearing clothing of that sparseness in real life, especially in hot areas like amusement parks and desert planets.

She was kind of bland, but reoccurring characters always get my support. I don't get it...she was almost a major character for like four episodes, then just vanishes into nowhereland after this. If they were going to focus so much on introducing a new character, wouldn't they have some explanation for why she vanished? It's like her only purpose was to get turned down by Jack so we could be introduced to the Jack/Sam ship.

Maybe that's all she was there for...to fake us out into thinking that Jack was gonna go for her. I dunno. Maybe Annise really IS evil, which is why Martouf wasn't tested. It seems ludicrous that they'd just "forget" him. His death was really dramatic. Poor guy.

Anyway...neat episode, and pivotal. In the mush-starved world of Stargate, a declaration of love is a big deal.

Comment

Maybe that's all she was there for...to fake us out into thinking that Jack was gonna go for her. I dunno.
        Actually, she was there because some executive at the time had the 'bright idea' that Stargate needed a Seven of Nine character. Some sex bimbo who'd wear skimpy clothing and get the demograph of teen boys all hot and bothered and keen to watch. Seven of Nine had just been introduced in Voyager and was getting some very hot press attention. The executive wing of TPTB jumped wholeheartedly onto the bandwagon.

Fortunately, Gaters proved more sophisticated, hated the character and the tacky attempt at ratings she represented, and she was dumped after only a few episodes.

The writers even poked fun at him and that decision in Wormhole Xtreme:

Scene: Martin, and two bigwigs move away from the catering truck towards a limo. I think one is Hank Cohen from MGM.

COHEN: You know I was thinking, you know what this show needs? A sexy female alien. Trust me.

MARTIN: (unenthusiastic) Yeah.
        Not sure if this Hank Cohen was the executive in question. But, anyway, I hear whoever he was, to his credit, he took the joke quite well.

Actually, for myself, I was never that bothered by Anise/Freya. I found her character quite interesting at times and if she'd been introduced and used in a different way that had highlighted less on the appalling clothing and more on her attitude, the differences between her host/snake characters (which were more marked than in other Tok'ra we saw) etc, I'd have been very happy to see more of her. As it was, she was seriously undermined by her role as teen tease.

I have to say I didn't even find the clothing sexy. Granted, I'm not a teen boy , but all the same. The first costume she wore was kind of cute, I thought, but dear god that grey, plastic molded thing she wore in this episode...ugh.

Albion
        Listen, we had General Ryan come on and do a little cameo for us, and he's a real live four star, one of the big guys. And I had to ask him point blank, because there's a certain irreverence that I bring to the character, and denseness, but while we were doing this scene, I just looked at him and said, "Do you have guys like me in...?" and he stopped me and said, "Yes, and worse, and you're doing a fine job, son."

Richard Dean Anderson

Comment

I thought this episode was pretty good.....its nice to see they are dealing with sam and jack's relationship again

Comment

Originally posted by Albion
            Actually, she was there because some executive at the time had the 'bright idea' that Stargate needed a Seven of Nine character. Some sex bimbo who'd wear skimpy clothing and get the demograph of teen boys all hot and bothered and keen to watch. Seven of Nine had just been introduced in Voyager and was getting some very hot press attention. The executive wing of TPTB jumped wholeheartedly onto the bandwagon.
            I dunno. I guess I just have a hard time believing that the People in Charge would be that...shallow? Create a character exclusively for sex appeal? I mean, I'm sure it was a consideration (frankly Sam is fairly boyish and Janet is too maternal), but it doesn't seem like it would be the exclusive drive to creating a character that's so useful to the plot.

It seemed like they made her to be more unique than anything, at least for Stargate. I can't say that I like the character, exactly (she's too distant and Tok'ra-ish) but I like the idea of the character. And more than anything, I hate that the integrity of the plot was sacrificed to give her a swift and silent ejection from the show due to audiences misreading her as a thinly veiled attempt to woo the more base instincts of a certain demographic. I mean, let's face it...she doesn't even get killed offscreen.

Originally posted by Albion
            I have to say I didn't even find the clothing sexy. Granted, I'm not a teen boy , but all the same. The first costume she wore was kind of cute, I thought, but dear god that grey, plastic molded thing she wore in this episode...ugh.
            I agree. Very un-Tok'ra-ish. As an ex-teen boy, I would be a fair judge. Her first two costumes (or was it one? I don't remember) were more stylish than slutty, like Desert Vogue with really cool boots. The one she wore in this episode makes me think that she has Seven of Nine unconscious in a closet somewhere. I'm going to discontinue that line of thought before it gets me in trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by Ascendant
              Actually, when Sam said that it wouldn't "leave the room" she meant it literally. Every night when everyone else has left the base they run back to that room, lock the doors and get on with the lovin'.
              LMAO

Comment

I dunno. I guess I just have a hard time believing that the People in Charge would be that...shallow? Create a character exclusively for sex appeal? I mean, I'm sure it was a consideration (frankly Sam is fairly boyish and Janet is too maternal), but it doesn't seem like it would be the exclusive drive to creating a character that's so useful to the plot.
                Believe it. It's a matter of official record that this was the sole reason for introducing Anise. Many of the crew, from directors to producers, to the execs themselves have stated so unequivocally in the past in interviews etc. A single exec had been watching the press attention Seven was getting and figured a similar sexy, skimpily-dressed alien on SG1 might bump up ratings too. It's not so much a question of being shallow as it is doing what execs do. They watch the trends, see what's working elsewhere, and jump on the current bandwagon to adopt those ideas for their own shows in the hope that they'll achieve a similar reaction. And there are few shows out there which don't bow down to the Great God Teen Guy Demographic. If they can pander to that one, they'll jump at the chance. Whatever it takes.

Sadly, even SG1 execs have a brain lapse now and then. But, you know, for the most part they've kept their sticky little mitts off the show. Much more than execs on other shows have. So that's to their credit.

Albion
                Listen, we had General Ryan come on and do a little cameo for us, and he's a real live four star, one of the big guys. And I had to ask him point blank, because there's a certain irreverence that I bring to the character, and denseness, but while we were doing this scene, I just looked at him and said, "Do you have guys like me in...?" and he stopped me and said, "Yes, and worse, and you're doing a fine job, son."

Richard Dean Anderson

Comment

True indeed. Anise/Freya's potential as a recurring character was inevitably cramped by the need to attire her in skimpy rubber whatnots and lumber her with that silly crush on Jack. Whether she would have been more acceptable had she worn Tok'ra Khaki Fatigues and left her libido at home, we'll never know. Going for the lust-bunny element killed off any chance we might have had to find out.
                  sigpic

Comment

IMO, this was an ok ep, kind of lost the flair when Anise/Freya came onto Jack. That seemed a little off.
                    All posts are IMO, I am not a rocket scientist.

Bender: "Lets go get drunk!"
                    Pay it forward

Comment

I like the talk Jack and Daniel had about Anise/Freya. Classic scene!

Comment

any scene with Jack and Daniel are going to be good.
                        All posts are IMO, I am not a rocket scientist.

Bender: "Lets go get drunk!"
                        Pay it forward

Comment

I also have an idea for Anise/Vala...

Comment

Wow this was a fantastic episode with something for everyone! Seriously, I dont think I blinked at all during this ep!!!
                            Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
                            - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

Originally posted by PtahTheCreationGod
                              Wow this was a fantastic episode with something for everyone! Seriously, I dont think I blinked at all during this ep!!!

Ouch - bet your eyes were sore afterwards!

Definitely a cracker of an episode - assassins in such deep cover that even they don't know about it. Not to mention getting sidetracked by the whole thing!
                              sigpic

Comment

Do we have a zanax detector or not? I think this was the episode that that line was spoken. Classic.

And the, Yep, these are the Jack O'Neill moments I would miss the most. When Jack is jsut sitting there, folling around with a yo-yo, when he could go crazy and kill himself at any moment.

Among my favorite episodes.

24/7 Wake - KrackHouse server: 69.28.221.211:16567
                                24/7 Groundpounders - Krackhouse: 69.28.221.210:16567
                                Both heavily admined.

Comment

Working...
                                X