This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anubis over the edge ?

The idea of being dead for a thousand year and then coming back.
    Not this. And super-soldiers, forget it.
    Both taken from computer game 'Return to Castle Wolfenstein'.
    He even has his own insane scientist overseeing the Kull warriors in Evolution, part 1+2.
    Conclusion: It's been done, seen it, move on !

Could the RTCW-people press charges for copyright voilation against MGM ?
    Since their super-soldiers existed first....I hope not.
    Last edited by Janus; 08 July 2004, 08:00 AM.
    sigpic

SGU Continued....

Yeah. By itself, it would be excruciating to watch, but Jack's commentary on Anubis' "cliched" behavior makes the show worth watching. It puts a new spin on things. I haven't seen the super-soldier episodes, because that didn't interest me, but Anubis does sorta have Darth Vader's voice mixed with the Emperor's wardrobe. And yeah, the whole space sequence of 7x01 and 7x02 was fairly obvious Hahaha...
    Lord TorleYu-wong Chong Techno - create a "Window of Opportunity"

get hooked, click here to listen to "The_Autistic_World_of_Torley.mp3" | dialup version
    more @ torley's techno music and anti-techno music blog

Comment

Originally posted by Torley
      I haven't seen the super-soldier episodes, because that didn't interest me
      can i just ask how do you choose which eps you watch if you havent seen them?
      I'm just curious since there is stuff that develops in eps that i dont particularly want to watch, but i do anyway - even if i end up hating them,(i dont have to watch them again) i watch them for the simple reason that i dont want to miss any important ongoing techs or story arcs.

eg- politics - season one - a friend of mine started watching this ep. realised it was a clip show, and turned it off.. however, it sets up the relationship between jack and kinsey, and also the fragile balance (no pun intended) that the stargate project has.
      i finally convinced him to watch it, and he agreed that he needed to see it. even without having seen any other seasons, he realised that the stories being built within it are important ongoing stuff.

so im just curious - how do you choose?

Comment

Good question. I don't have a lot of time, but I really like Stargate, so it's a tradeoff innit I read summaries here at Gateworld, and I get a feel for an episode beforehand. It's pretty simple. I also read the Primer so I'm at least textually brief on most of the stuff. Any episode with time travel or alternative universes (multiverse), I'm tempted to watch. Same goes for big Sam episodes, the Asgard and Replicators stuff, the oddball "alien of the week" ones like Urgo, and Yu!!! Those are my interests. Ehehe

get hooked, click here to listen to "The_Autistic_World_of_Torley.mp3" | dialup version

Comment

fair enough torley. i know the pain of time constraints.

meanwhile, back on topic...

I've always loved Anubis... he's a great bad guy. I'm a lit student so much of the time the 'bad guys' that I have to deal with are ambiguous and there's a lot of angst involved when the 'good guys' have to do something about it. therefore, Im a bit fan of unambiguous bad guys. ones who you can unequivocally say - no, he can definately die, he's bad, he's evil - I can't wait for the battle that kills him

on top of that, i agree, the cliche that is Anubis provides a great target for Jack rapier wit.

Comment

How many times has Anubis died? He's over the edge for too long.

I know he ascended and they kicked him out of there. That is why he looks the way he does, I think.

Comment

Hey, how can you say Anubis is over the edge? He's my favourite character!

Anubis figured out how to ascend, or at least the Gou'ald did but Anubis didn't quite make it all the way and was forced to descend. This is why he is what he is
              __

__

Comment

Originally posted by greytop
                How many times has Anubis died? He's over the edge for too long.
                What do you mean? When did Anubis ever die?
                Twitter / YouTube / Twitch

Comment

Don't you have to die to ascended? I still think he's over. (I'm always for the good guy.)

Comment

Don't you have to die to ascend?
                    Not too sure about that actually, Daniel apparently did, but we don't know if the Ancients did. They were dying....but has it ever been established whether or not they actually died before they ascended?

Comment

Don't you have to die to ascended?
                      That's what some fans have assumed, but it has never been confirmed in the series. In fact, at least one character ascended without dying: Shifu.
                      Twitter / YouTube / Twitch

Comment

And that thing with the whole population of Abydos... did they ascend before the big boom, or after?!? I'm leaning towards "before" because it's implied they were taught to ascend.

Comment

Originally posted by Ugly Pig
                          That's what some fans have assumed, but it has never been confirmed in the series. In fact, at least one character ascended without dying: Shifu.
                          We didn't see Shifu ascend onscreen, so that's pure assumption as well. He may have committed some kind of suicide so that he could ascend. We've yet to see anyone ascend without being in a very near-death state. So as of now, this remains an unanswered question, though it seems to lean towards dying first based on all the examples we've seen so far.
                          Cogito ergo dubito.

"How happy are the astrologers if they tell one truth to a hundred lies, while other people lose all credibility if they tell one lie to a hundred truths." - Francesco Guicciardini

An escalator can never be broken, it can only become stairs. You never see "Escalator temporarily out of service." It's "Escalator temporarily stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Comment

Daniel didn't die; he ascended instead of dying but he had to let go of his old life. I don't think death is a prerequisite of ascension - Daniel didn't seem to think that Jack needed to die in Abyss - but it probably makes the letting go thing easier if you're on your way out.
                            Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
                            - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

Yeah, that part is iffy. 'Cause Daniel's body was transformed, and no corpse was left behind... but I wonder how they explained all that to his surviving family members?!? Hmmm...

Comment

Working...
                              X