Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 281

Thread: Upgrades (403)

  1. #81
    Brigadier General L.A. Doyle's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2006
    Location
    The countryside
    Posts
    9,280

    Default Re: Upgrades (403)

    Yeah. The endorsement thing.

    But where I'm from, if you say you want a coke, they ask what kind. People don't say soda.

    I love this ep! It's so funny!

  2. #82
    Lieutenant Colonel captain jake's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2006
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    3,232

    Arrow1 Re: Upgrades (403)

    well this does take place in america.

  3. #83
    Brigadier General L.A. Doyle's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2006
    Location
    The countryside
    Posts
    9,280

    Default Re: Upgrades (403)

    Quote Originally Posted by captain jake
    well this does take place in america.
    I live in America! Different regions, different names for things. Of course, it really takes place in...Canada!

  4. #84
    Lieutenant Colonel captain jake's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2006
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    3,232

    Arrow1 Re: Upgrades (403)

    Not the show!!

    And where in america are you from that they call soda coke.

  5. #85
    Brigadier General L.A. Doyle's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2006
    Location
    The countryside
    Posts
    9,280

    Default Re: Upgrades (403)

    I know the show is filmed in Canada, and while on Earth on the show they are in Colorado. I'm from Texas. While some people DO say soda where I live, we mostly just say coke. Like the soda aisle in Wal-Mart is the 'coke aisle'. Or we say we feel like a coke. And seriously, if you ask me for a coke, I'll ask what kind! Just one of those things!

    To be on topic, it makes me laugh when Sam orders a diet soda when she's going to eat 3 or 4 steaks! I would have loved to see their table!

  6. #86
    First Lieutenant Chaka's_Mum's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Everywhere....and Nowhere....
    Posts
    613

    Default Re: Upgrades (403)

    That sounds a bit like people calling vacuum cleaners 'hoovers', which we do in the UK (and you guys in the US might do the same, I'm not sure) - it also serves as a verb as in 'I'm going to hoover the lounge'. Not only that, it gets used quite regularly as a euphemism for eating, too - as in 'You finished off the cake, crumbs and all? You hoover!'.

    Just to contribute to the topic drift for a moment - I don't think anyone in the UK uses the term 'soda' at all to refer to fizzy drinks. These days, most people use the brand name. I'll have to see what my local supermarket calls their 'fizzy drink' aisle...

    Anyway, back to topic again.

    I love the moment when Sam orders the diet drink as well - accompanying her three steaks. I'm with her, actually. I always prefer diet coke to regular because my teeth feel horribly sticky and 'coated' after regular coke. Yuck.

  7. #87
    Lieutenant Colonel captain jake's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2006
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    3,232

    Arrow1 Re: Upgrades (403)

    Ya back on topic

    Another funny scene was when they were playing pool.

    jaCK- "THIS IS A CLICHE"

  8. #88
    Staff Sergeant StarGi's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2006
    Location
    sLOVEnia
    Posts
    79

    Default Re: Upgrades (403)

    I love this episode, because is very funny in first half, when they're all trying those armbands and crosses over to superb action-drama second half (Bullet-time of staff blast). And we get to see some more of this mission in Divide and Conquer. That's why season four is the best!

  9. #89
    Lieutenant Colonel captain jake's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2006
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    3,232

    Arrow1 Re: Upgrades (403)

    Ya the tansition between home and off world was very fast and big. I noticed that it bugged me the first time but then I realized they were trying to show there spontaneous nature.(caused by the armbands)

  10. #90
    First Lieutenant Chaka's_Mum's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Everywhere....and Nowhere....
    Posts
    613

    Default Re: Upgrades (403)

    Spontaneous is a good word. I'd add 'impetuous' to that, not to mention 'not in full possession of their faculties' - except that's seven words rather than one.

  11. #91
    Airman LHB's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    44

    Default Re: Upgrades (403)

    Fantastic ep; I've seen it several times on DVD. The only thing that annoyed me: the wristbands that said "With great power comes great responsibility." Doesn't that belong with Spiderman, not SG-1?

  12. #92
    Lieutenant Colonel Descent's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    3,448

    Default Re: Upgrades (403)

    Quote Originally Posted by LHB View Post
    Fantastic ep; I've seen it several times on DVD. The only thing that annoyed me: the wristbands that said "With great power comes great responsibility." Doesn't that belong with Spiderman, not SG-1?
    I've seen that line everywhere. I think it's a quote from some famous person.

    "Space is disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence."
    DS9 Superior|Farscape|Legend of the Seeker|Stargate Universe|STAR WARS

  13. #93
    First Lieutenant Chaka's_Mum's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Everywhere....and Nowhere....
    Posts
    613

    Default Re: Upgrades (403)

    Wherever it came from, it's good advice. Certainly it's a worthwhile advisory against accidentally shoving someone off a staircase.

  14. #94
    Major General
    Member Since
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    13,249

    Default Re: Upgrades (403)

    Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    Shame really, I like the character that she played. So confident
    And Dead sexy!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by greytop View Post
    This one of my favorite quotes also. Especially after the rest team aplogized to Hammond. After the quote above, Hammond replied, "Teal'c was obeying orders."
    One of the few times, imo where it was teal'c coming in to 'save the day'. Up till then, the team has saved teal'c more often than not..

    This was a GREAT episode! I loved the idea of superpowers, both physically and intellectually. I was particularly impressed by how fast they could read books, and how Carter wrote a book in a few hours. What a great opportunity for her and Daniel to learn and record information.
    That is a great point. It makes me wonder which books jack chose to read up on..

    Originally Posted by Chaka's_Mum
    I read somewhere that Anise/Freya had been given the nickname 'Tok'ra Spice'. Possibly because of her highly revealing, 'un-Tok'ra' dress sense.
    Being one of the few who actually loved the spice girls, i would have liked to read that mag, where she got that title..

    As to me.. i only really had 2 gripes...
    1) Why did they not go more into the race who MADE the armbands.
    2) is it me, or did that new type of ship look almost like it had a BIG golden head atop it..

  15. #95
    First Lieutenant Chaka's_Mum's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Everywhere....and Nowhere....
    Posts
    613

    Default Re: Upgrades (403)

    I suspect that we don't hear more about the Atonieks for the simple reason that Anise doesn't have anything more to tell us. Anise knows that the armbands gave the wearer great powers, and that the Atonieks were a great civilisation that pre-dated the Goa'uld. Chances are that there was some crossover between the two groups, given that the armband won't even connect to someone who carries a symbiote, but other than that, the only other thing that is known for sure is that the race has died out.

    In some ways, the lack of a backstory for the Atonieks is what makes 'Upgrades' possible. Had they known more about them, and how the armbands worked, then they would have known from the outset that the armbands were essentially useless in the long run. Sometimes we just don't know as much as we would like to about a race of people, despite one or two tantalising glimpses in the archaeological record.

    Yes, I think the ship did have a big golden head on it - but given that Apophis has a great big head, that seems appropriate!

    The 'Tok'ra Spice' reference comes from an article on H2G2 (the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - Earth Edition) which can be found in the 'Talk' section of the BBCi website. I would include a link, but given that the article goes up to season 9 and is crammed with spoilers, I'm not going to. It's easy to find, though, as there's a search engine which will locate it for you.

  16. #96
    Major Major Clanger's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2004
    Location
    An AU, apparently
    Posts
    2,476

    Default Re: Upgrades (403)

    I don't think we came up with Tok'ra Spice over there on h2g2 (yep, there were several of us GateWorlders involved in writing that) - in fact, I know we didn't because I know that I first heard the phrase here (maybe it used to be Starguide back then?)

    anyway, here's a link to the entry - because if any of you GWers are also
    h2g2'ers you might want to write up S10... it can be updated and you get your name in lights and everything (and also, because I take any chance to plug h2g2)

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/classic/A765597
    In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king


  17. #97
    First Lieutenant Chaka's_Mum's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Everywhere....and Nowhere....
    Posts
    613

    Default Re: Upgrades (403)

    Oops - I wasn't intending to give the impression that I thought the Hootoo article authors invented the term, I was actually intending to report the fact that I'd read it there and thought it an amusing and rather appropriate nickname for Anise.

    It's a good read and I was going to post a link myself then got a hot flush over the prospect of it containing spoilers because of the recent update to season 9!

    Tragic. Yes. I know.

    I shall second the H2G2 plug here, too. I haven't been there in a while (apart from revisiting the Stargate article to check that I hadn't misremembered where I came across the 'Tok'ra Spice' term) but it's a great place to go and I really must pop back sometime and do more than make references to curdled milk in my journal.

  18. #98
    Second Lieutenant Two_L's's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    432

    Default Re: Upgrades (403)

    This is one of my favourite Stargate episodes ever!

    It was great seeing Sg-1 with 'super-human' powers and how they lose rational behaviour. The scene in the restaurant was hilarious, "Well, this is a cliche", but I felt sorry for Teal'c missing out on all the fun I think one of the best scenes from their 'mission' however, is saved for Divide and Conquer.

    Spoiler:
    Jack's "No!" to Carter and the look between them afterward is wonderfully intense and emotional


    It seems some people had a problem with Anise in the episodes she was in, but personally, I liked her. I only had a problem with her outfit in Divide and Conquer, but overall, I thought she was a great actress and wish she could have come back on occasions.
    "Don't dis MacGyver, or before you know it he'll be at your door with some tinfoil, a whistle and a bag of marbles...and you'll be sorry then..."
    S/J all the way!
    Big Honkin' Resolution!

    John/Teyla Shipper!
    SAVE STARGATE ATLANTIS!!!!

  19. #99
    Major General
    Member Since
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    13,249

    Default Re: Upgrades (403)

    Yea. It is a pity, we never got to know her more..

  20. #100
    Chief Master Sergeant plastic's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2007
    Location
    england
    Posts
    177

    Default Re: Upgrades (403)

    this episode is very funny
    loved the bit in the restaurant, it made me laugh so much when they got into
    the fight when they called danial a geek
    also when o'neill pushed SILER down the stairs very funny
    but i did feel sorry for teal'c in this episode because he is left out

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •