This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sg-1 and Current events

In the stargate universe, we know that I know that the show takes all of the current history up untill the start of the show and incorporates it (With Carter having flown missons in the first gulf war and all)
    So I'm wondering, in the stargate universe, did 9-11 happen too? In atlantis, Shepard has a past where he did things in Afganistan, which we all know would not be an issue if 9-11 never happened. Also, if 9-11 did happen in the stargate universe, you think there would have been more 'said' about it... maybe the writers thought that the invasion of the gould would far overshadow a homworld grown terrorist attack... At the same time, you'd think that with the more advanced technology they developed, especialy with the Prometheus, that it would be easier to find terrorist hideouts, and then call in a favor and have Thor 'abduct' them and drop them on an uninhabited planet with food, shelter and other provisions. Thor could even plant a momory in all their heads that they've died in a terrorist attack and this is paradise where they're at !!!
    anyway, just something that's been rattling around in my brain.

I dont think it happened in the SG universe
    gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
    so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
    love Torri

Comment

I think 9-11 happened in the Stargate universe as well, but that and all other terrorist stuff doesn't fit in the SGC's business. So yes, you could say that, the Goa'uld and the new enemies Ori overshadow terrorist attacks. The same thing goes with Asgard abducting terrorists - that's not on top of their "to do"-list.

Comment

I think that they very likely did happen, but the producers wisely chose not to make it part of the storyline. Many times, using something like this in a storyline just feels cheap and exploitative. It would feel like trying to use a real tragedy to gain audience or bolster a weak story, which we know was never the case in SG-1. We all had a personal reaction to those events, as I'm certain those involved in Stargate's operations, but they chose not to make those reactions public, or use their fiction series to try and speak to those unspeakable events, and I totally can respect that decision.

-IMF
        "There's not a little boy born who wouldn't tear the world apart to save his mummy... and this little boy can." --The Doctor.
        "The plastic tips at the ends of shoelaces are called Aglets. Their true purpose is sinister."--The Question.
        BAD WOLF!!!

Comment

Originally posted by IMForeman
          I think that they very likely did happen, but the producers wisely chose not to make it part of the storyline. Many times, using something like this in a storyline just feels cheap and exploitative. It would feel like trying to use a real tragedy to gain audience or bolster a weak story, which we know was never the case in SG-1. We all had a personal reaction to those events, as I'm certain those involved in Stargate's operations, but they chose not to make those reactions public, or use their fiction series to try and speak to those unspeakable events, and I totally can respect that decision.

-IMF
          Totally agree
          Tis No Fool to lose what He can not keep, To gain what he will never Lose

Comment

-IMF
            i agree that the writers and producers did not want to make hay of a real event that is a sore spot for many, but in the context of Stargate, if it Had happened in this our favorite alternate reality :-) It seems that IF the US government in the stargate universe had prosecuted the war on terror in the same way it has gone on in real life, then you'd think that operations that require a large percentage of our current armed forces would translate down to people at stargate command (people being diverted, funds being diverted) also I would think General Hammond would mention it in an SG-1 briefing and I could imagine that Carter and Daniel would not be able to resist coming up with soloutions to solve the problem and that Jack would most likely bring up the Asgard beaming them away especially if it meant resources were being diverted away from Stargate command (which I would think would make it their problem too and motivate them) And it's possible that this could have happened off screen and someone could write some Fanfiction about it :-)
            Of course there is always the possibility that the military in the stargate universe is there for entirely different reasons, which we should learn about when we hear more of Shepards back story.
            Also as far as it being exploitive, I can understand that, but to just leave out a major event in Earth history like that and to have all the major military movements happening outside of the SGC and to hear nothing about it but then all of the sudden we have 'verterans' of those conflicts on the shows. I wouldn't like to that the SGC is in THAT much of a bubble. They would be best to have it not even happen in their world.

I know I might be dovoting to much brain power to this, but it's interesting thinking for me.
            Last edited by zintradi; 15 August 2005, 09:13 AM.

Comment

Yeah, it's not a good idea to use current events in a television show unless it's one of those screens before the show or after the show that says something like, "Dedicated to all the men and women who lost their lives in the 9/11 tragedy of 2001..." or whatnot - otherwise it seems like they used the events to better the franchise, which is exploitative. If the producers and writers have a genuine heartfelt sorrow for events that have happened in real life they could do the dedication of an episode durring the beginning or end, or even make a mention on screen. For instance, having General Landry say something like, "The President is in talks with the Prime Ministers of Australia and Britain concerning the recent terrorist attacks in London - I'll inform him about the Ori after he finishes that up." This is a type of paying homage to an event. Anything more is distasteful IMO.
              Sorry Ori, I was born okay the first time.

Comment

-IMF
                I agree that it was wise for SG-1 to avoid the September 11th issue, but not for the reasons stated.

The SG-1 universe is a continuum of the U.S. military, and that horrific day would be impossible to introduce without totally destroying the story, particularly as doing so at the time -- as would have to be the case -- would have brought those personal reactions into public view.

However, and I know this reference will apparently upset some, there is one science fiction show that was able to introduce the issue without cheapening or exploiting the events. John Crichton's return to Earth in Farscape -- about two years after September 11th, if I recall correctly -- was able to respectfully refer to that day, principally as a means of highlighting the changes in the way the military and political worlds acted in the Farscape universe, but also as a poignant reflection on some of the changes that we have seen in our culture since that day.

It would not work for every television series. There is, as IMForeman says, the grave danger of being "cheap and exploitative." (NB. I do not intend my opinion that Farscape made such a reference respectfully to mean that Farscape is therefore a superior show. Only that I believe it can be done.)

In general, I think SG-1 is only enhanced when it can identify with current events and issues -- however abstractly -- such as racism ("The Other Side"), slavery ("Beast of Burden"), or religious fanaticism (the Goa'uld and Jaffa, and the Ori and Priors in general). Doing so adds a moral dimension that makes the show even more intelligent and provocative.
                Andrew

Comment

Considering how the Stargate Universe has the International Committee of Russia, China, France, Britain, US, Canada, and etc etc, if 9-11 did happen, you'd expect all of them to pitch into the War against Terrorism. Furthermore, the War in Iraq was under Bush's administration. I'm pretty sure the two presidents we've had in the Stargate Universe are not Clinton and Bush.
                  Hallowed are the Xander. Love, Worship, and Rep/Green your all-powerful, omniscient God!

Comment

Working...
                  X