Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Default Re: The Other Side (402)

Before that bolded line is said, Alar offers "many things in exchange" for their trust/help, meaning Daniel was in the room when the Eurondan's offered to trade/negotiate...so how does he not know that it's going to occur? Add to that, Daniel is in no way surprised/mad/offended when negotiations open, he only raises concerns when Jack offers something that will aid a war against an enemy they know nothing about. Daniel wasn't tricked.

The only trickery that occured in this episode was on the Eurondan's part.
    Quote Originally Posted by Callista View Post
    Ahhh! Ashizuri can see into the future!!
    Quote Originally Posted by HPMom View Post
    She saw the candle light as many things.

Quote Originally Posted by madaboutdanny View Post
    Read the transcript, they waited for Daniel to leave before saying what was the first and foremost, I've bolded the lines, pourpose of the mission; better, watch the scene, it's clear!

<respectfully snipped for space>
    Well, as I said earlier, even though Daniel wasn't present for Jack and Hammond's conversation, I would think by now he'd be aware that whenever the SGC encounters an advance civilization, after taking care of any humanitarian or security concerns they usually try to trade for any useful technology they may have.

And for the purpose of the mission, Hammond made it clear that it was two-fold, provide humanitarian assistance, and then with the President's authorization, open negotiations for future trade. Given Daniel's knowledge of the SGC's standing orders, I'm sure he was already aware of that aspect of the mission, same for Sam even though she left the room with Daniel.

One must not forget that Daniel joined SG1 as a civilian and an archeologist. He has his own issues and concerns and even he is aware of the standing order I doubt it would have any priority over his own interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Dinoman View Post
    One must not forget that Daniel joined SG1 as a civilian and an archeologist. He has his own issues and concerns and even he is aware of the standing order I doubt it would have any priority over his own interest.
    I agree that's how he acted in this instance, he put his own personal opinions above other considerations including team cohesion during negotiations. I thought it was in-character for him to do it, but also a bad choice on his part to do it in that manner and place.

As a member of SG-1 and the SGC, part of Daniel's duty is to prioritize the interests of his team and the SGC above his own. Being a civilian and archaeologist does not excuse him from that responsibility, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashizuri View Post
    Before that bolded line is said, Alar offers "many things in exchange" for their trust/help, meaning Daniel was in the room when the Eurondan's offered to trade/negotiate...so how does he not know that it's going to occur? Add to that, Daniel is in no way surprised/mad/offended when negotiations open, he only raises concerns when Jack offers something that will aid a war against an enemy they know nothing about. Daniel wasn't tricked.

The only trickery that occured in this episode was on the Eurondan's part.
    Then why they waited for Daniel to leave before discussing the real pourpose of the mission? And for what reason Daniel'd be mad/surprised/offended? He was so when he understood that the real mission wasn't humanitarian. But I have no problem with that because that worked for the plot and I like this ep just for that.

Quote Originally Posted by madaboutdanny View Post
    Then why they waited for Daniel to leave before discussing the real pourpose of the mission? And for what reason Daniel'd be mad/surprised/offended? He was so when he understood that the real mission wasn't humanitarian. But I have no problem with that because that worked for the plot and I like this ep just for that.
    Sam left the room too, were they trying to trick her as well?

Daniel would be mad/surpirsed/offended if he had been tricked or lied to, but he wasn't, he knew that the one of the reasons for the mission was in fact to gather technology. No one tricked Daniel into anything, he didn't agree with their methods, but he was well aware of what was going to happen.

But I don't suppose I'm going to be able to change your opinion anymore than you'll change mine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Callista View Post
    Ahhh! Ashizuri can see into the future!!
    Quote Originally Posted by HPMom View Post
    She saw the candle light as many things.

Air Force Chief of Staff mrscopterdoc's Avatar

This was a better episode than I remember from the first time. Lots of conflict for each charactor but of course all is okay in the end.

This episode was pretty much the reason I got into Stargate SG-1 (one late night), and one of the best in the series.

the one thing i dont like about their decision to help blow up the city is the thousands of helpless people in the stasis pods.
    also, the eurondans first-contact behavior struck me as being very remniscient of that of the atlantis team when meeting the asurans.
    R.I.P Stargate 1994-2009

Quote Originally Posted by asdf1239 View Post
    the one thing i dont like about their decision to help blow up the city is the thousands of helpless people in the stasis pods.
    also, the eurondans first-contact behavior struck me as being very remniscient of that of the atlantis team when meeting the asurans.
    I don't think a city was destroyed.

the eurondans underground city was bombed to destruction.
    R.I.P Stargate 1994-2009

Uncertain Re: The Other Side (402)

Quote Originally Posted by asdf1239 View Post
    the eurondans underground city was bombed to destruction.
    That was a city?

perhaps not, but it held a far greater population in stasis.
    R.I.P Stargate 1994-2009

Acme Lab Scientist stargatelover4ever's Avatar

I was thinking the other day how much I miss SG-1. and how much a miss a Daniel/Jack argue.... so I decided to rewatch this episode love it every time!
    and as much as they'd try to make O'Neill the military man type this episode proves clearly that he also has a great sense of morality. (When you stick around Daniel for so many years...)

This is one of my favorite episodes. I too liked the disagreements between Daniel and Jack.
    The manner in which they led up to what the situation was really about was great. I cheered when Jack told them to close the iris and you heard the thump. Alar, evil incarnate.
    no means no, and so does pepper spray
    Sig by The Carpenter

Quote Originally Posted by Girlbot View Post
    This is one of my favorite episodes. I too liked the disagreements between Daniel and Jack.
    The manner in which they led up to what the situation was really about was great. I cheered when Jack told them to close the iris and you heard the thump. Alar, evil incarnate.
    I agree, love your sig by the way. You gotta love Summer Glau when she was played a terminator.

Exploring space and time with the 9th doctor

Great ep, loved the interaction between Jack and Daniel. What a bunch of evil *******s.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v106/manephelien/avatars/deadtribbles.jpg

Probie

I saw the episode and I was unsettled by it. Mostly because of how irrational and immoral Jack acted. First, he was unwilling to learn the most he could about the situation. Then when he learned that they have previously attempted a genocide, he went insane, and became a mass murderer war criminal, without any consideration to the consequences or his role. Granted, they were bad guys, but he was playing God, and I don't buy how much Jack can decide the current generation of them are responsible for the crimes of "his father" or even if they have some responsibillity because they are basically the same regime and somewhat changed that he must interfere in such way. In other worse, just because they are war criminals that doesn't justify war crimes, at least without the most careful consideration over the circumstances and consequences to the ones affected. The Japanese in WW2 might had done terrible crimes, but that does not excuse destroying them.

Worst, Jack murdered their leader, a man that could help earth. In any case, Jack should have instead tried to get some technology out of them and then screw them. Also, Jack seemed to had been motivated by his own rage over being deceived, or maybe self guilt or doubt that seeing things clearly.

As for Daniel, he was right, but he could have been more tactful in where he made his arguments but overall Jack rarely displayed such inexcusable irrationality as in this episode and Daniel was in general quite rational.

Also I am surprised with the reaction to this episode and to Jack's actions. The man was irrational from the start till the end of the episode. He did not make a shift from immoral to moral, if anything he was always in various levels of immorality and irrationality, some more subtle than the other and his actions were not justified under the circumstances.

Personally I would have liked an episode where Jack would face a similar situation only now destroying completely the war criminals would been presented as the wrong choice.

This along with Jack allowing Neyrti to leave free, are one of the darkest hours of Jack, in terms of how wise his decision making process was. The moral thing in this case, as hard as finding a moral solution to such a problem, is to get what we could from them and stop cooperating with them or even try to influence them to change. (Considering we have what they need the most), although that would probably be fruitless. Instead I saw everyone of the current generation being condemned to death for their and their father's actions.

Chief Master Sergeant FrodoFraggins's Avatar

This episode had a lot going for it, but the reset at the end was disappointing. Once again SG-1 is given the chance to get new technology and fouls it up so much that they end up with nothing. It's a tired formula devised by the writers to unnecessarily prolong earths relative primitiveness.

I found it too preachy as well. I don't think it would have been against O'Neills morals to bring the guy with him and imprison him. I'm not sure letting a man die, whether he deserved it or not, was really the moral thing to do. I think the episode would have been stronger without Odo begging to be taken along.

I also found Jack and Teal'c controlling the remote fighters to be a bit far fetched, there were certainly able bodied indivduals that would have been trained for the task.
    Babylon 5 - Farscape - Lost - Deadwood - Rome - Carnivale - Dexter - Sopranos - The Wire

Okay, so before I say anything, keep in mind that I have not seen past the episode "The Other Side" in season 4 yet. I just watched it, and had this weird revelation. If it's already been addressed, in the series or otherwise, please inform me.

So, when Alar reveals the defense generator, I had deja vu. After a few minutes, I remembered a similar, if not the same, generator from "Into the Fire" (s3e1) when Carter believes that there must be some huge generator to power a facility like that.

Not only that, but both are hidden behind walls that would otherwise seem normal, meaning that the thought process was the same in building them.

Here's a picture comparison:

"The Other Side"
    http://i51.tinypic.com/ziu7wh.png

"Into the Fire"
    http://i52.tinypic.com/2mmcqt.jpg

Notice that both also have what would seem to be a control module in the bottom center, on a catwalk.

Thoughts? Is this some weird connection, or did they run out of stock footage for generators?

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast