Bill Adama Discussion/Appreciation Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bill Adama Discussion/Appreciation Thread

I searched high and low for a thread that was specifically devoted to Adama but there didn't seem to be one. While I don't expect that we consistently discuss Adama in glowing terms, I hope we can all maintain a respectful tone in this thread and towards EJO... So here goes...

I don't know about anyone else... but I really missed Adama in the first 4 eps of Season 2... His absence was notable and proved to me how so much of what takes place on this show hinges on this character. Love him or hate him, he is both a catalyst and a force to be reckoned with.

I wonder why the cylons are so desperate to get rid of him... and why do so many fear him...
    sigpic
    "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

I most definitely missed him. If forced to name my favorite character on this show, he’d have to be it. Though I love practically all the characters, even wicked ol’ Ellen.

Heh. I’d never have imagined that EJO would be playing a character that I’d consider my favorite on a show. Nothing against the actor, but I always associated him with playing the Lieutenant on Miami Vice. Yes, I loved that show as a kid , but I didn’t watch it for him….

I wonder why the cylons are so desperate to get rid of him... and why do so many fear him...
    I thought about that. Based on my assumption that the Cylons are eager to find Earth, I think that they shot Adama because he stood in the way of finding Earth. He opposes Roslin and her “mythical arrow” so there was no way he would let her return to Kobol willingly. Thus shooting him triggered the whole chain of events that we now see in Season 2.

Or they just have a grudge against him from the first Cylon War.
    IMO always implied.

Comment

Commander Adama is the core character in the show. I have other favorites but Adama is just such a strong presence when he's onscreen that it's hard to take your eyes off him.

I really missed him in the first four episodes. Not that I didn't enjoy the show without him - I did. Great stories and the rest of the cast is hardly chopped liver. But I was sure relieved to see him walk back onto the bridge. And I'm curious about the changes in his personality. He does seem different.

I think he's a very complicated guy. Obviously he had/has difficult relationships with both his children and I don't think he's particularly adept at personal relationships. And yet there is no doubt in my mind that when he loves someone he really LOVES them. And yet he can be amazingly cold when he feels someone has failed him. Witness the scene when Starbuck told him about Zak.

Why do the Cylons fear him and want him dead? I guess they feel as Adama goes, so goes the fleet. Adama never bought into the "we're safe from the Cylons" routine and they undoubtedly know that he's wily and is a survivor. He has experience fighting the Cylons. So if they're determined to wipe humanity out they need to wipe out Adama.

I know EJO has played a lot of parts but I mainly remember him from his Oscar-nominated role in Stand And Deliver. He was absolutely charismatic and amazing in that role.

Good thread - Adama definitely deserves to be discussed.
      Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Comment

I went back and watched the mini-series tonight to refresh my memory in general. Plus there wasn’t anything else on tv.

Originally posted by Easter Lily
        Leoben had this conversation in the mini with Adama:
        LEOBEN: Hubris. That's Man's greatest flaw. His belief that he and he alone is chosen of God. That only Man has a soul.

ADAMA: There's the central hub. We're almost there.

LEOBEN: But what if God decided he'd made a mistake? What if he decided that Man was a flawed and imperfect creature? What if he decided to give souls to another creature?.........Like the Cylons.

ADAMA: Somehow, I doubt that.

LEOBEN: Why? Because they're different than us? Because they're the outsiders.

ADAMA: Because God didn't create the Cylons. We did. And I'm pretty sure we didn't include a soul in their programming.

LEOBEN: But what if they do now? What if they've changed in the last four decades?

ADAMA: Changed into what?

LEOBEN: People. What if they've developed a culture, a society, an entire way of life?

ADAMA: You mean what if they're imitating a culture, a society, a way of life. In the end, they're still just devices. Things. Pieces of technology that've gotten out of control. They're not people.

LEOBEN: You're not even interested knowing the truth are you?

ADAMA: Let me tell you something. After today -- after using nuclear weapons against defenseless civilians, after murdering people by the millions -- I don't give a damn who the Cylons are now or what the "truth" is about their souls. All I know is that they're murderers and killers and they're trying to destroy us.

So today's gonna be the first day of a new war. And this time we're going to finish the job. No armistice, no peace treaty, no mercy. This time we track them down and kill them. All of them. Until there's not one single Cylon left alive in the universe. And if God has a problem with that, he can sort it out on Judgment Day.

LEOBEN: And that's why God wants the Cylons to destroy mankind. Because as long as there's a human race, there's going to be a man out there like you. I don't think the Cylons hate you, Adama... I think they fear you...
        Then the last scene of the mini as all the human Cylon models on Ragnar:
        LEOBEN #2 : Where did they go?

DORAL: I... don't know... they were preparing for a... big Jump...

DORAL #2: We can't let them go.

NUMBER SIX #2:Unfortunately I agree.

NUMBER SIX #3:If we don't they'll return one day and seek revenge.

LEOBEN #3: It's in their nature………It may take several decades to track them down.

SHARON #2: Don't worry. We'll find them.
        Hmm, guess in the mini they feared him because they feared that he would come back to haunt them if they didn’t take him out. Adama would try to find some way to exact revenge for what they had done until his dying breath. The Old Man usually keeps his word (even though he had this conversation before he came to the acceptance that the war was over and that they had lost). I think though that there is probably more to Leoben’s statement as to why they fear him than its face value.

Same goes for why they want to find and destroy Earth. I know in that last scene they don’t explicitly reference Earth, but I think they are implying it. I think RDM and DE have evolved the Cylons’ reasons for finding Earth though….
        IMO always implied.

Comment

Thanks LS and Kes... for coming on board and giving this thread a nudge in the right direction...
          Hopefully as the season progresses, there will much more that can be said about Adama.

I was never really taken with Miami Vice so I don't have memories of EJO in that show but I LOVED Stand and Deliver, which was a wonderfully inspiring film about a teacher who gave his students an opportunity to fulfill their potential. EJO expressed that quiet dignity in that film which I see so poignantly demonstrated by Adama.

One of the highlights of BSG for me is watching Adama interacting with Lee. It is a welcome change to see an older man having a mature, loving relationship with his son... without all the usual hang-ups and inhibitions... That they have issues with one another doesn't take away from the fact that underlying all the tension is a sense of deep, unreserved affection. It is gratifying to see a father-son relationship which believes that blood ultimately is thicker than water.

I would like to say more, but I think I need sleep before I can put together anymore cogent sentences...
          sigpic
          "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

Heh. Stand and Deliver came out in 1988. I was umm 10 years old…not exactly something I’d request to see. I think I’ve heard of that movie before but never seen it. Hehe. After looking at IMDB I see that Lou Diamond Phillips was in it. Now I finally half way get that PSA that he does on NBC about staying in school or something because I think he is referencing that movie. Guess I’ll have to keep an eye out for that on tv or try to rent it. I don’t know how they managed to land EJO for Adama, but I really can’t see anybody else in the part. He really makes the character for me.

One of the highlights of BSG for me is watching Adama interacting with Lee.
            Ditto.
            IMO always implied.

Comment

Originally posted by LoneStar1836
              I went back and watched the mini-series tonight to refresh my memory in general. Plus there wasn’t anything else on tv.

Leoben had this conversation in the mini with Adama:Then the last scene of the mini as all the human Cylon models on Ragnar:

Hmm, guess in the mini they feared him because they feared that he would come back to haunt them if they didn’t take him out. Adama would try to find some way to exact revenge for what they had done until his dying breath. The Old Man usually keeps his word (even though he had this conversation before he came to the acceptance that the war was over and that they had lost). I think though that there is probably more to Leoben’s statement as to why they fear him than its face value.

Same goes for why they want to find and destroy Earth. I know in that last scene they don’t explicitly reference Earth, but I think they are implying it. I think RDM and DE have evolved the Cylons’ reasons for finding Earth though….
              I feel that there is a lot more to it than that as well... which is partly why I don't think he's a cylon... If he is, he would be one heck of a renegade. He obviously figures in the overall scheme of things in a significant way and poses a significant threat.
              He certainly has the determination and the know-how... He has proven that he can inspire and rally the troops behind him.

But it is not just the cylons that are threatened by him... Hubs pointed out to me the other day that Ellen Tigh is also afraid of him because he is the only person that can actually cause problems between her and Tigh. In no small way, so is Zarek, especially in the way he keeps referring to him as Zeus. Obviously, Zarek is more afraid of Adama than he is of Roslin. And it is not just a military vs civilian issue.
              Spoiler:
              Notice how he tried to turn Apollo against Zeus. Note also that Six is giving Baltar nightmares of Adama drowning babies. Is Baltar poised to make an attempt on Adama's life sometime down the future?
              sigpic

Comment

Adama seems to be the wisest leader. The only one not self serving.
                Tis No Fool to lose what He can not keep, To gain what he will never Lose

Comment

Judging by the information given out by the show, it seems that the Cylons fear Adama because he is determined and driven to hunt them down - and they know that he is the one human who might actually have a chance at succeeding.

oh yes, and EJO seriously rocks in this show we love you!

elly: "Look dude, talk to the host 'cause the goa'uld ain't listening!"

HELEN: "Do NOT walk blood through my house!"

NIKOLA: "How am I supposed to get to the infirmary then?"

HELEN: "I don't care if you sprout wings and flap there Nikola, as long as you don't wreck my good carpet."

Earth: "S**t happens" BSG: "Pencils break"

Comment

Good to see this thread getting a new lease of life...

My respect for Adama increases with each episode. I agree with you Elly... I think the cylons fear him more than anyone because he has so far been able to unite the fleet. He is possibly the closest thing to a war hero that the humans have also.
                    sigpic

Comment

I searched high and low for a thread that was specifically devoted to Adama but there didn't seem to be one.
                      Obviously you didn't see my top ten facts about Admiral Adama!

Hardcore Husker RULES! He is the most badass man in the universe! Cylons pee their pants when they come in contact with him(even the metal ones, thats how badass he is).
                      Admiral Adama once had a bachelor party for Colonel Tigh. He ate the entire cake before Adama could tell him there was a stripper in it.

Comment

Originally posted by titans
                        Obviously you didn't see my top ten facts about Admiral Adama!
                        Hardcore Husker RULES! He is the most badass man in the universe! Cylons pee their pants when they come in contact with him(even the metal ones, thats how badass he is).
                        This is actually a very old thread... it's been hibernating for several months now.
                        sigpic

Comment

Admiral Adama is one of the best leaders that the humans have...abd EJO is an incredible actor...

Comment

Was it his refusal to adapt his ship to modern warfare that kept him from being promoted? Or would there have been other factors involved?

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Banrigh
                              Was it his refusal to adapt his ship to modern warfare that kept him from being promoted? Or would there have been other factors involved?
                              Good question and topic for discussion...

Adama seems to me to be something of a non-conformist. Remember his speech in the mini-series? He believed that humanity needed to shoulder a lot of the responsibility for what happened in the first cylon war. I don't think he was the kind of man who curried the favour of the higher ups and it wouldn't surprised me if he stepped on A LOT of toes.
                              But that makes him the right sort of person to go head to head with the cylons. You need someone who thinks outside the square for something like this.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X