This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice little contradiction

In the episode "Origin" Daniel makes these statements.

JACKSON: The Ancients may be protecting us from the Ori, but not their human followers. See, Ancients won't interfere in any lower planes of existence. If anybody from our galaxy wants to worship the Ori, apparently that's our choice. And, they won't stop Priors from coming through the gate because apparently they've already sent one.

What I don't get is shielding us from the Ori all this time and then doing nothing to stop them from killing humans/jaffa/anyone else for not believing in their path is not free will. If you have knowledge and understanding of such knowledge an enlightened individual would answer whatever questions someone seeking enlightenment has without trying to confuse them or keep the true meaning and answers from them. Someone said in another thread that when you ascend you are essentially the same person you was when you were on this plane of existence and I think the ancients' arrogance is a prime example of that. The ancients could at least empower some of their own kind to descend back unto our plane of existence to keep the priors and doci from doing such things like using the secrets of the universe to their advantage. Level the playing field if you will.

Originally posted by LincolnFord
    What I don't get is shielding us from the Ori all this time and then doing nothing to stop them from killing humans/jaffa/anyone else for not believing in their path is not free will. If you have knowledge and understanding of such knowledge an enlightened individual would answer whatever questions someone seeking enlightenment has without trying to confuse them or keep the true meaning and answers from them.
    I believe we don't know everything the Ascended beings are doing, so there seems to be a contradiction, but I'm sure we'll find out eventually.

Someone said in another thread that when you ascend you are essentially the same person you was when you were on this plane of existence and I think the ancients' arrogance is a prime example of that.
    I'd have to agree there. However, they are aliens, more intelligent and sagacious than we. It's not surprising they remain such a mystery.

The ancients could at least empower some of their own kind to descend back unto our plane of existence to keep the priors and doci from doing such things like using the secrets of the universe to their advantage. Level the playing field if you will.
    I think the Ascended are most useful where they are. Their best strategy would be to ally themselves with beings from the lower planes, and prepare them to battle the Priors.

It is frustrating to see an apparent lack of support from the Others; but, once again, I'm sure the writers will have a good explanation why they can't get too involved.

Comment

Daniel also mentions that part of the path to enlightenment is finding it within yourself to achieve enlightenment on your own. That, in my opinion, is a better support of allowing free will to service personal enlightenment than the Ori's coercing people towards enlightenment on pain of death. Although Oma helped Daniel ascend in "Meridian," it could be argued that Daniel had lived his life, entirely of his own accord, in such a way that enlightenment could've come to him if he'd only known to look. The idea of free will is so wildly open to interpretation that you'd be hard-pressed NOT to find paradoxes if you try to put it in a practical context, which is a part of what the ideological conflict of this season seems to be about.
      Thornbird: I'm Major Robort Thornbird. And you are?
      Jack: Captain James T. Kirk of the starship Enterprise.
      Thornbird: Your dog tags say otherwise.
      Jack: ... They're lying.

Comment

Going the way of the Ori is your own free will. The ancients are protecting us from the Ori. That's all. The Ori found a loop hole, like Anubis did. There is still an ep. Where an Anciant steps in to help us.

I think they are doing a wonderful job on the storyline.

FEED ME MORE.
        *Post in Peace, Yah or Nah*
        *Go to Sokar you Cylon fracker*
        *I can't spell vary good, but I can read mis- spelled words vary good*
        *And then the Ori said, "if your thread is dead then let their be a new one"*
        *It's Science Fiction. Not Science with Fiction.*
        *Sproiler Tags should only be used when you are going to be mentioning something that you can't already read on Gateworld*
        *When I talk out my butt it smells like sarcasm*

Comment

The ancient that you speak of is Orlin and he is among the group of ancients that actually feel its their duty to help in corporeal matters(Oma, Orlin, Chaya, others). I believe he steps in partly because of his past association with Sam. I just have a pretty strong feeling that the Ori and their Priors are going to gather up worlds of people to fight their cause far faster than the Wraith fed upon the 1000s of worlds the ancients populated in the Pegasys galaxy. This approaching armada of religious worshippers will however give the writers a chance to come up with some cool storylines on how exactly to overcome this.

Comment

The ancient that you speak of is Orlin and he is among the group of ancients that actually feel its their duty to help in corporeal matters(Oma, Orlin, Chaya, others). I believe he steps in partly because of his past association with Sam. I just have a pretty strong feeling that the Ori and their Priors are going to gather up worlds of people to fight their cause far faster than the Wraith fed upon the 1000s of worlds the ancients populated in the Pegasys galaxy. This approaching armada of religious worshippers will however give the writers a chance to come up with some cool storylines on how exactly to overcome this.
            I agree, But we have a much powerful Allie. Much geater then the Ancients. They are called TPTB, so I think we are going to be alright. LOL
            *Sproiler Tags should only be used when you are going to be mentioning something that you can't already read on Gateworld*

Comment

Originally posted by LORD MONK
              I agree, But we have a much powerful Allie. Much geater then the Ancients. They are called TPTB, so I think we are going to be alright. LOL
              rofl and tptb is going to kill off the orii and we live happily ever after. I don't think we'll live happily ever after cuz of how the Ori can inflict diseases on people.
              Hallowed are the Xander. Love, Worship, and Rep/Green your all-powerful, omniscient God!

Comment

Hopefully we can all come to understand a little more just why the ancients have been so hands-off in our plane of existence. Battling these Ori, we are definitely going to need an ascended ally or two. Am pleased Daniel is going to play such a major role this season, though. Have loved what tptb have done with his character.
                sigpic
                MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                "...phu...ah..."
                "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

The Ori themselves aren't the ones doing the killing with plagues. But rather its their Priors going around using their uber-advanced tech to set people on fire or infect them with plagues. Then heal or reanimate/resurrect.
                  http://www.myspace.com/peoples_general
                  http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/ga...PeoplesGeneral

Comment

Originally posted by Peoples_General
                    The Ori themselves aren't the ones doing the killing with plagues. But rather its their Priors going around using their uber-advanced tech to set people on fire or infect them with plagues. Then heal or reanimate/resurrect.
                    We don't know anything for sure yet. Daniel thought he was lighting fires with his mind on Kheb, but it turned out to be Oma doing all the real work. For all we know, the staffs that the Priors carry are just chunks of wood with pretty lights in them and the power to do all of their "miracles" comes either from the Ori themselves or the Priors' own highly evolved bodies. We know from S6's "Frozen" that the Ancients, upon reaching a certain level of evolution, began to develop bona fide internal powers. Until TPTB explain one way or another, it's equally plausible for the Priors to be using technology or natural powers derived from accelerated evolution or even some combination of both.
                    Thornbird: I'm Major Robort Thornbird. And you are?
                    Jack: Captain James T. Kirk of the starship Enterprise.
                    Thornbird: Your dog tags say otherwise.
                    Jack: ... They're lying.

Comment

Sorry for this post, but I keep seing this and saw it in this thread and I have not been able to figure out what it means.

what is tptb?

Thanks
                      The WebGodFather

Hallowed is the Homer
                      All will bow to the "DOH"

Comment

Originally posted by Webgodfather
                        Sorry for this post, but I keep seing this and saw it in this thread and I have not been able to figure out what it means.

what is tptb?

Thanks
                        TBTP = The Powers That Be

In other words, the folks who are empowered to make decisions and changes concerning the subject of discussion, i.e. Stargate SG-1.

Also, there was a recent SG-1 episode entitled The Powers That Be. Some folks have been using TPTB as a shorthand for that episode.

Usually, TPTB refers to the folks in charge of the shows.

For other abbreviations...

http://forum.gateworld.net/faq.php?f...s#faq_netlingo

Comment

Given the current advantage the Priors enjoy, the SGC is probably the best division to handle it. They can go to any world with a gate and search out new technology. As I see it, that's really our only defense against the Priors, some previously undiscovered tech. Of course, it would be nice if the SG teams had some puddlejumpers to speed things up.

Comment

I have said this in other threads. What if that is why Oma is helping people to ascend. She's not only being nice, but she is building an army. And that is why the Anceints haven't stopped her. She is doing it under the radar.

Comment

about the ancients not interfering in the mattero f humans following the Ori because of the entire free will fiasco. Ultimately it isn't a free will decision to follow the Ori because the Priors remind you that if you do not follow the path to enlightenment you will be destroyed. I feel a large portion of their followers in their galaxy are fear-based and the new ones in the milkyway are just dazzled by their fancy tricks, oh and the threat of plague.

Comment

Working...
                              X