This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weakness in Wraith technology?

I see from the descriptions by Sci-Fi the episode "Aurora" might give the team hope because its mentions the crew discovered a weakness in Wraith technology. The first time I saw that the Wraith ships are partly biological it occurred to me that the best way to attack the wraith is with biological weapons.

It's sadenning. I cannot stress enough what an intensely stupid idea biological warships are.
    Lord §okar, Niles, Mark VI, etc: Dom Howard fan

Tama, Bosphorus, Istanbul Mehmet, Sabian, Zildjian and Remo

Comment

While I am forced to agree with the stupidity of Biological based ship and technology. There are perks to them compaired to non biological based technology.

Biological based ships and technology can be self healing, that is if they have something on the line of a immunity. Look at Startreks Species 8472 and the breem, they could have been in concept self healing, however I don't remember anything being brought up dealing with that.

Biological based technology could in concept grow to fit the needs, Need more memory storage? introduct a growth hormone. Bigger Ship? Same deal.

There are good point and bad point, but I don't see the pluses out weighing the bad. That is of course if you can make it inpervious to viruses and and biological weapons.

And I am amped to see this Ancient warship. May prove very helpful to the SGC and Earth as a whole when it comes to defense technology against the Orii and the Lucian Alliance and whom ever else may be a threat, uncluding any Goa'uld that may still be hiding in the shadows that we may not know of yet.

Comment

yeah the acients have no need for it they have self healin powers

Comment

This is maybe a bit stupid to say as I'm talking about the stargate universe but isn't having a Biological ship sort of farfetched, it seems the whole of farscape has joined the stargate universe, the actors have gone to SG-1 and the ship has gone to Atlantis, all we need now is a peacekeeper organisation that dress in shiny leathery latex suits and have crap spaceships.
          "I don't know what Irony means but I use it alot, Ironic isn't it"

"Sure there have been deaths and injuries in boxing, but none of them serious"

Bloke:Fat Penguin
          Woman:What
          Bloke:I just wanted to say something that would break the ice.

Comment

Well bio ships can be grown farst as stated above u also have to take into acount that they can adapt to situations mabey including nukes being teloported inside. Also some biolodical materials have some incrediable properties such as spiders web which has incrediable densile strength more so than steal and many other metals.

HER'AK: "No matter what you have endured, you have never experienced the likes of what Anubis is capable of."
            O'NEILL:"You ended that sentence with a preposition. *******!"

Comment

Bioship sand bioueber tech is one of the most used cliches of scifi in recent decades.
              Now, if that would be something like the biodreads tech from Captain power, living metal, not biological biotech. that would be much nicer.

Comment

Mmm, "living metal" is so much easier to swallow.
                Lord §okar, Niles, Mark VI, etc: Dom Howard fan

Tama, Bosphorus, Istanbul Mehmet, Sabian, Zildjian and Remo

Comment

Originally posted by Lord §okar
                  It's sadenning. I cannot stress enough what an intensely stupid idea biological warships are.
                  Could you elaborate on that? I can see many advantages to bio ships.

Comment

Every time you create a TV show especially a scifi show does not mean you're going to be reinventing the wheel. Just because something has been used before doesn't mean it's a worthless idea or that it's going to be done in the exact same way. If originality was the central theme of television programming we wouldn't have any.

Just what else are you going to make a ship out of that's going to be original at this point, wood? You have metal or similar, biology, or a combination of the two. We've already seen the metal ones in the show, it only stands to reason at some point we're going to have to see the alternative just for the sake of spicing things up.

I'm not even sure how "living metal" is any different from bio-tech. It's alive, which makes it a biological component. Unless you're talking about that liquid metal type stuff from Terminator. In which case, that would be really cool and I'm betting a pain in the ass and the pocket for the special effects people.

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

Well, it would explain why the Wraith were able to advance to a point, where they were able to rival, and outnumber the Ancients. If there ships can be grown, from some biological material, they would only need the right environment to produce an armada of ships. I just want to know what the Ancient ship looks like, if they will help, where they will go if they choose not to get involved, will they ascend, there are so many questions that this episode can potentially answer, I only hope it responds to a few.
                      Last edited by JanusAncient; 14 August 2005, 10:51 PM.

Comment

How about nanites as "living metal"? Nanites repair ruptured hulls when damaged from energy attacks.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord §okar
                          I would have to agree with you here. With a biological ship all you have to do is make it sick or kill it, which would likley be far easier than destroying it like other ships. With a virus or something similar, it would likley loose some capabilites and if it gets sick enough it will die.

Owen Macri

Comment

Originally posted by Owen Macri
                            I would have to agree with you here. With a biological ship all you have to do is make it sick or kill it, which would likley be far easier than destroying it like other ships. With a virus or something similar, it would likley loose some capabilites and if it gets sick enough it will die.

Owen Macri
                            Whcih means you need a high level of bioengineering.
                            ALso, how are you going to deliver it??
                            WHat if my bio-ship has an immune system??

Some advantages of bio ships.
                            LImited self direction
                            Self repairing.
                            A bio ship will go to greater lengths to save you than a metal one.
                            fuel can be gathered from things as cheap as the sun.
                            ability to create many at a time.

Comment

What people seem to forget about the concept of space-bourne biologial entities/ships is that they'd have evolved tremendous resistance to radiation and physical harm. A lifeform that traversed the naked environment of space would have trememdous abilities and defenses. Traversing space would be far riskier than most people realize. There would be asteroids and miniscule objects travelling far faster than they would in an atmosphere and of course huge amounts of radiation unfiltered by an atmosphere. Furthermore, if they actually existed, they'd be far more intelligent than us and much more long-lived.

Comment

Working...
                              X