Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is there only one doctor in the Fleet?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why is there only one doctor in the Fleet?

On US carriers there would be 3 or more doctors and at least one dentist to care for just the ship's crew.

And you would think in any city of 47,000 people you would find more than one doctor. Especially since many of the people on these ships were probably quite afluent and doctors do like to take cruises.

y'know I've been wondering about that very thing...but then I figure that other ships need their docs just as much as galactica

As to why they specifically wanted Cottle when Adam was shot it makes sense that they'd want the doctor that already knows the crew, the equipment, and the procedures.

Comment

You keep comparing Galactica exactly the US carriers. And while Ron Moore and crew said that's what is basically is, but in space, you cannot Galactica should have this because carriers do. They are not the same. You forget however, there are many capable medics about Galactica.

But the main reason is you have to remember Galactica was a museum and not an active Battlestar. It was not stocked with doctors and marines to be ready to fight. There is one full doctor that survived and it is what it is.
      Signature oversized: Click to view.

Comment

Originally posted by mikeforrest2003
        On US carriers there would be 3 or more doctors and at least one dentist to care for just the ship's crew.

And you would think in any city of 47,000 people you would find more than one doctor. Especially since many of the people on these ships were probably quite afluent and doctors do like to take cruises.
        Good point. You'd think some of the civilians on other ships would be doctors & Galactica would make sure to know who they were in case of emergency.

Comment

From what I've seen it seems like the Galactica Dr. is the only one in the Fleet.

As far as comparisons to the US Navy I realize it's not the same but the Galactica is supposed to have a crew of 2,000 is it?

You'd still need more medical personel for that many.

Comment

Remember that when the attack happened the Galactica was in the process of being decommissioned and only had a skeleton crew, so its perfectly reasonable that the other doctors had been rotated off to new assignments leaving only Cottle as the ships doctor.

While there are probably other doctors in the fleet, Cottle is probably the only one that has been trained in combat medicine, and so would be the most qualified to deal with serious gunshot wounds.

Comment

Working...
            X