Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Nemesis (322)

Second Lieutenant Lieutenant Sparrow's Avatar

Default Re: Nemesis (322)

Yay original Replicators. Not the stupid human form ones.

And yay Thor. Now that I know Michael Shanks voices him, I can't stop thinking he sounds like Michello. Great to learn more about the Beliskner as well.

Now for the painful wait for season 4. Can't believe it has already been 3 months.

This is a very good episode, although there are a number of plot holes. First, as others have observed, the Asgard are small, yet the make their ships gigantic. Do they even need corridors if they use the transporter technology to move around?

Also, if they replicators were in control of most of the ship, why did leave the life support on if they didn't need it? Or why didn't they deactivate it when SG-1 came aboard? For that matter, why were they even going to Earth? They seem to prefer advanced technology, and there are more advanced planets than Earth.

Maybe I'm over-analyzing the episode, but I tend to notice things like this.

Quote Originally Posted by SG1Member View Post
    Also, if they replicators were in control of most of the ship, why did leave the life support on if they didn't need it? Or why didn't they deactivate it when SG-1 came aboard? For that matter, why were they even going to Earth? They seem to prefer advanced technology, and there are more advanced planets than Earth.
    They "went to earth" because Thor took his ship to earth, thinking we could help the Asgard destroy the replicators. Otherwise, the replicators would not have known about earth for a long time to come. I believe Thor said something along these lines to O'Neill when he first arrived on the ship.

Major

Quote Originally Posted by hedwig View Post
    They "went to earth" because Thor took his ship to earth, thinking we could help the Asgard destroy the replicators.
    Actually, Thor says they got into his computer, found out about Earth and plotted a course here. He stayed on board to try to prevent them from reaching us.

I would guess the computer had something about the availability of important minerals here. Because it really doesn't otherwise make sense that a creature attracted to advanced technology would come here.

Seaboe
    Last edited by Seaboe Muffinchucker; October 26th, 2011 at 05:47 AM.

Here we have something I appreciate about Stargate SG-1. The series "ups the ante" of enemy threats. When enemies become old, stale, and less threatening, the show's creators give us something new and scarier.

If they replicators were in control of most of the ship, why did leave the life support on if they didn't need it? Or why didn't they deactivate it when SG-1 came aboard?
    Replicators usually attack only when they conclude someone is a direct threat. The replicators could have switched off life support upon SG-1's arrival, but they just don't "care." OTOH, the replicators deem SG-1 a threat toward the end of the episode, and they could/should have vented SG-1's section of the ship at that point.

why were they even going to Earth? They seem to prefer advanced technology, and there are more advanced planets than Earth.
    Their primary objective is self-replication. We have a planet full of refined iron, steel, & other metals. Replicators can do their own mining & refining, but they prefer to "eat" the pre-made stuff. From a materials perspective, we're a large feast.

Maybe I'm over-analyzing the episode, but I tend to notice things like this.
    So do I. Has anyone noticed replicators have a seemingly unlimited supply of acid? Power, too. Individual replicators don't ever run out.

Major

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Freyr View Post
    Here we have something I appreciate about Stargate SG-1. The series "ups the ante" of enemy threats. When enemies become old, stale, and less threatening, the show's creators give us something new and scarier.
    Interesting to see you like something I think sucks and makes the show horribly unrealistic. It just shows to go.

Seaboe

Quote Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
    Interesting to see you like something I think sucks and makes the show horribly unrealistic. It just shows to go.
    Ha! Yea, I guess it does. Although, I agree replicators have serious issues vis a vis realism/believability. My appreciation is for the general trend of cranking up the danger when the old threat has grown less frightening. TPTB do this several times through the series.

Major

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Freyr View Post
    My appreciation is for the general trend of cranking up the danger when the old threat has grown less frightening. TPTB do this several times through the series.
    The problem is, the old threat becomes less frightening because TPTB slack off on them. If the jaffa had remained as hard to kill as they were in the first few episodes, there would've been plenty of potential for fear. And if the other goa'uld had been as hard to kill as Apophis was, believe me, Earth would not have become complacent.

Seaboe

True. Above all, adding Earth to the Protected Planets treaty reduced the imminent threat of the goa'uld.

Still, old enemies eventually become boring. Would you have watched 10 years of SG-1 vs. Goa'uld? I doubt that I would have.

I always liked watching this episode probably because of all the action. Not to mention I love the Asgard.
    My favorite TV shows

So, 6pm, I've just finished watching Crystal Skull for the first time and head for the toilet thinking that's SG1 done for the day only for Mum to call me back down. Another new ep? Well...

1. Jack gets beamed up to Thor's ship...and...what the hell are these things?

2. Thor looked pretty rough.

3. Of course SAm and Teal'c were going to back him up, not sure there would have been much use for Daniel here other than, as he said to stand with his team.

4. Forgot how much our guys avoided battle with he reps and then...wall of death!

5. Just when you thought the bugs were done for though...oh crap...

End of what had been a very long marathon.

I don't like the replicators! But, I do like Thor, and it's good that the Asgard do have a weakness.
    Calculus and Alcohol don't mix. Never drink and derive.

DVDs Re: Nemesis (322)

Best episode of Season 3.

Nemesis began what is called, in my opinion, good SG-1 (otherwise known as the "Growing the Beard" phase of the series. Which ended at the end of Season 8.

This was my first full episode of SG-1 I watched (on a Skiffy rerun), apparently.

Now we "lost" the original Giza Stargate, and Season 4 begins with the Beta/Antarctic Gate in place at the SGC. I'm going to try to keep a note on that tally during the rest of the SG-1 part of Stargate Rewatch.

Tomorrow, we begin the next phase of journey, the fourth season of SG-1, and the conclusion of this cliffhanger. It will also bring Joe and Paul to the series. And because the DVD is the first season with them, I plan on watching the commentary of that day's episode, then watch the episode later that day (I've seen all the episodes, so yeah).

My LiveJournal post
    Going to watch part 2 now.
    "Thanks to denial, I'm immortal."
    "A big 'Hello' to all intelligent life out there, and for everyone else, the secret is to bang the rocks together, guys!"
    "Excuse me, barmaid? You seem to have brought me the wrong offspring. I ordered an extra large boy with beefy arms, extra guts and glory on the side. This here, this is a talking fishbone!"
    "I'm Jack. It means... what's in the box?"

>-- Czechs Rock! >--

I love the banter between Jack and Sam at the beginning -a fishing invitation (she seems surprised, caught off gaurd).

Jack's refusal to allow the rest of the team to beam up, because he knows that it will doom them, and he will not gamble their lives, but he's determined to do whatever necessary to destroy the "bugs". He's pretty ticked when they beam up anyway -but he needs them, and I think he knows that down deep.

I love the solution of beaming up the gate in order to escape, while denying the replicators a means of escape.

This 2-parter is a action-packed romp.

sig by Ikorni

"When Colonel Maybourne and yourself were stranded off world, Major Carter felt a similar sense of frustration. She despaired at the thought of never seeing you again." ~Teal'c
    "I didn't leave…because I'd have rather died myself…than lose Carter." ~Jack O'Neill

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

This episode seems very simliar to the S1 finale. SG1 is on an alien ship trying to prevent them from attacking Earth. I know that is a vague comparassion but their are simlairties between the two episodes. It is still a enterraining episode none the less. This episode seems to set the standard of Carter mans the computer while Jack and Teal'c run around the ship. The action I find is good for such a small set. It was enough to keep my attention as SG1 come up with an idea to blow up the Bleskinar even if I knew they were never in danger. The idea of putting a bomb inside shields seems interesting enough. And using the gate to escape was a nice piece of continuity. Although the naqudah in the gate should have exploded when Thor's ship crashed into the Pacific Ocean. I do have to say it is somewhat cliche to show a lone Replicator in the final scene
    Quote Originally Posted by aretood2 View Post
    Jelgate is right

Just rewatched with the commentary

1. Didn't realise that that first scene was adlibbed.

2. Once again, I never expected to see the "enemy of the Asgard".

3. Jack-hologram looking like a carwash, not bad!

4. Teal'c kicking off quicker, not so bad.

Chief Master Sergeant

Thor and Jack together is just hilarious ^^
    Incredible good episode!!!

Staff Sergeant

Attack of the Lego-Spiders! Ruuuuun!

An excellent episode in several ways...
    -Jack asks Sam to go fishing for the first time
    -The first time we see of the replicators
    -Daniel cannot join the action due to a recent appendix surgery

And of course, it's a cliffhangar. Will Sg-1 save the day? Find out next week!
    "Y'know; Lose it. It means, go crazy. Nuts. Insane. Bonzo. No Longer in posession of one's faculties. Three fries short of a Happy Meal. WHACKO!!!!!"

The perfect couple!

One small step for Jaffa
    RIP Don S. Davis 1942-2008

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast