X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Critical Mass"--SPOILERS

Major spoilers for "Critical Mass".

Originally posted by Purpleyin
    Looks like they've written Cadman back in, in Critical Mass. So it's no longer McKay annoyed at Sheppard flirting with a suspicious character of Dr Allison Seagle but McKay suspecting Cadman and with a Beckett/Cadman romance that annoys him. The way it's put I can't tell if he's annoyed because she might be a traitor and doesn't want Carson or Atlantis hurt or if it's because he likes her (or Carson?).
    Sounds like it has potential, particularly if it does a nice left turn and the traitor turns out to be someone we wouldn't suspect.

When I first heard about "Critical Mass" I thought oh thrill, it's going to be some stranger whom they'll just conveniently kill at the end. (And it probably will be. Atlantis so far has a lousy record of copping out of opportunities for genuine suspense.) I thought it's a pity it won't be Beckett or somebody TPTB don't want to kill off just yet and therefore have to try really hard to save instead of just blowing them full of holes. Beckett might be an excellent choice because how often does *he* get checked for unwelcome guests?

Yes, that leaves the major problem of how the transfer occurs without the prior host suffering some medical consequences. But given a symbiote's ability to heal its host rapidly, it's quite doable. I mean, just consider how fast it must stanch the bleeding of the entry wound in the new host. It very likely can do the same for the prior host on the way out. And SG-1's "Lockdown" and "The Enemy Within" have established that people can be quite normal and oblivious to blackout periods when the symbiote takes total control.

At first I considered the idea of Cadman being the host, but I didn't see how that was possible because surely she'd have been carefully checked out after her "Duet" adventure. I also toyed with the idea of the symbiote accidentally ending up in McKay in "Duet" then taking advantage of the situation, but again, it seems McKay was quite thoroughly checked near the beginning of "Duet". (On the other hand, Sheppard's line about maybe some things don't show up on an MRI could have prophetic significance. But if the writer of "Critical Mass" takes this route, he'd better provide a darn good reason why Atlantis isn't applying the medical protocols the SGC does, considering they're both in the business of exploring really weird alien worlds.)

So the symbiote's best choice is someone who doesn't go offworld (much) and therefore doesn't get thoroughly checked very often.

Notice in "Duet" Cadman said Katie Brown doesn't go offworld. But this is still "some near-stranger whom nobody will miss if we riddle her with bullets". What if the symbiote couldn't resist the opportunity to get into the chief medical officer or the head of science? The symbiote could have moved to McKay for nefarious reasons then moved on. Or perhaps there was something we didn't see between Brown and Beckett after McKay departed their dinner.

Mind you, "Critical Mass" is more likely to be the simple "Oh look we found a body. Hey, he used to be host to a goa'uld! Now, who was with him when he died?" Meh.
    Last edited by Wordsmit2; 10 August 2005, 04:05 AM.
    Wordsmit2

The story of my life. I finally find a city like this, intact, deserted for ten thousand years, probably contains hundreds of patents that I can exploit--and I'm going to die. I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit. --Max Eilerson, Crusade "War Zone"

Mess with me, you mess with my whole family. --Max Eilerson, Crusade "Ruling From the Tomb"

Maybe Cadman is the Goa'uld and thats why the wraith beam didn't work the frst time, because there were essentially 3 conciousness's

I wrote this without thinking much so its probably rubbish...

Comment

It didnt work because they only had enough power for one rematerialisation
      gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
      so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
      love Torri

Comment

and originally it was Dr. Alyson Seagle instead of Cadman

Comment

If Seagle is going to be replaced by Cadman then I think it will go like this.

The Daedalus arrives on Atlantis. Cadman appears, back from leave on earth. She gets all lovey-dovey with Carson and McKay gets annoyed/maybe a little jealous . The sh*t hits the fan. Beacon activated, Cloak rendered useless and bomb planted. Cadman called in to help search for the bomb and McKay begins to suspect her of betraying them

IF Cadman is the Goa'uld then she was probably implanted back on earth (when she was on leave) by the Trust
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by qasimjavid
            It didnt work because they only had enough power for one rematerialisation
            When I said 'it didn't work' i meant it in the sense that it rematertialised them with two conciousness in one body, not the fact that they only managed to rematerialise one of them...

Comment

Originally posted by jenks
              When I said 'it didn't work' i meant it in the sense that it rematertialised them with two conciousness in one body, not the fact that they only managed to rematerialise one of them...
              I don't think Cadman was a Goa'uld in "Duet", it doesn't make sense, TPTB seemed to make the point at the end of the episode that McKay had made a real connection with her. That would be completely undermined if it turned out she was a goa'uld all along.

Plus after she got out of the Dart she was probably subjected to all manner of tests
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Steve_the_Wraith
                I don't think Cadman was a Goa'uld in "Duet", it doesn't make sense, TPTB seemed to make the point at the end of the episode that McKay had made a real connection with her. That would be completely undermined if it turned out she was a goa'uld all along.

Plus after she got out of the Dart she was probably subjected to all manner of tests
                Yeah, nobody could've been goa'ulded as early as Duet; that's making the assumption that there's going to only be a single trip to Earth during the season, which would be absurdly unlikely as there's plenty of time for a few more Daedalus trips between now and the latter half of the season.

-Bloodaxe

Comment

Working...
                X