Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long do you think BSG can go on for?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long do you think BSG can go on for?

A discussion on another thread has got me wondering if RDM has got a specific time period for the show in mind in the same way that JMS had for B5.
    How long do you think they can maintain this kind of momentum and would the show benefit from having a specific time arc?
    sigpic
    "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

I think the only show that benefits from a specific time arc is "24". Even B5 didn't benefit from it because JMS sped up season 4 because he thought the show was over. When a surprise renewal came along, he had so little left in his bag of tricks that season 5 limped to the end. Arcs like B5's can be a straighjacket.

I like the attitude David Kemper of Farscape used to have when these questions came up. Each season was treated as its own entity with the goal of making THAT season as good as possible. They would continue to do seasons as long as they had stories to explore. They unfortunately got stopped before that.

Other writers have had similar answers to Kempers to the 5-year arc question.

Comment

I think that BSG will go for as long as it can, to put a forced time limit would be foolish.

With BSG the writers are smart enough to know when to make a finale.

Comment

Originally posted by Easter Lily
        A discussion on another thread has got me wondering if RDM has got a specific time period for the show in mind in the same way that JMS had for B5.
        How long do you think they can maintain this kind of momentum and would the show benefit from having a specific time arc?
        Maintaining momentum usually means the ability of the producers and writers to meet or adapt the show/story arcs and it's characters to the changing needs and expectations of the viewers in order to stay relevant, fresh, and interesting. BSG certainly has a talented group of writers, but it remains to be seen if they fall into the "successful formula trap" that doomed other shows and was seen as "running out of ideas and concepts" and/or the "actors/characters looked uninterested and phoned in their performances". On some shows, the characters de-evolved into one-dimensional or caricatures and became too predictable. While fun and may meet the desires and wishes of the hardcore fan, the casual viewer may get bored and decide to turn the channel to find something else that interests them or catches their attention. For now, let's give BSG the benefit of the doubt and hope the entire Sci-Fi Friday lineup has a long and successful run.

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Comment

I dont know why but I get the strange feeling that BSG will only last a few more seasons
          gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
          so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
          love Torri

Comment

Yeah, I think the plot can only be properly sustained for a certain amount of time. Granted, every episode chronicles only a couple days in the BSG universe, but eventually they're going to find Earth. And I think the show might end once Earth gets found, but then again- maybe it won't? That might be interesting.

http://bsgmedia.org/

Comment

Thats probably the key question - will the show end when Earth is found?
              gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
              so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
              love Torri

Comment

It wasn't with the old show....but then a lot of the BSG78 purists disavow BSG80 as being non-canonical. I suppose only time will tell.
                "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

The Beauty of this is that the Producers can make the show last as long or short as they want to or have to.

If it looks like they can keep the plot going a few seasons they can do that!

But if it looks like the show might be pulled they can fairly easily draw it to a close in a couple of episodes.

The trick would be resolving the various subplots.

Comment

Originally posted by mikeforrest2003
                    The Beauty of this is that the Producers can make the show last as long or short as they want to or have to.

If it looks like they can keep the plot going a few seasons they can do that!

But if it looks like the show might be pulled they can fairly easily draw it to a close in a couple of episodes.

The trick would be resolving the various subplots.
                    I totally agree. Of course, if you have a storyline based upon the goal being that you find Earth then it should end there. It's what happens whilst trying to reach that goal that dictates how long the show lasts. For instance, ST:Voyager...similar story, they needed to return to Earth but crikey how long did they manage to drag that show on for.

The show will last as long as there is good writing and good viewer ratings. They can pull it at any time, but have the power to drag it out for as long as they want.

I myself love this show, I enjoy the the fact that it is set at such a high pace, yet each episode covers no more than a few days. IMO, on the basis of the current standards of the eps the show could go on for ages.

Comment

I think BSG could run for awhile but I have to admit I see the similarities to Babylon 5.

There's an overall arc that seems like it might be best served if it's not dragged out too long.

I'd say 4-5 seasons filled with the kind of drama I'm seeing now would be fabulous.
                      Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Comment

mikeforrest brings up a good point- there are so so so many subplots that they could keep it going for quite awhile. I don't think it'll stop anytime soon. It'll stop eventually, I'm sure *shudder- goes and knocks on wood*- but not soon. We all know that there's just an abundance of material that hasn't been delved into yet- all of the many characters have lengthy backstories. Like, supposedly we're going to be learning more about Kara's background, which we got a taste of in the Valley of Death. Subplots take a long time to finish up... lucky for us!

http://bsgmedia.org/

Comment

Originally posted by Sci-Fi
                          Maintaining momentum usually means the ability of the producers and writers to meet or adapt the show/story arcs and it's characters to the changing needs and expectations of the viewers in order to stay relevant, fresh, and interesting. BSG certainly has a talented group of writers, but it remains to be seen if they fall into the "successful formula trap" that doomed other shows and was seen as "running out of ideas and concepts" and/or the "actors/characters looked uninterested and phoned in their performances". On some shows, the characters de-evolved into one-dimensional or caricatures and became too predictable. While fun and may meet the desires and wishes of the hardcore fan, the casual viewer may get bored and decide to turn the channel to find something else that interests them or catches their attention. For now, let's give BSG the benefit of the doubt and hope the entire Sci-Fi Friday lineup has a long and successful run.

I don't mean to jump the gun obviously... but I'm glad that someone has got a sense of what I meant...
                          The problem with B5 was more that JMS was given the run around by the suits rather than the fact that he had developed the show with a five year arc in mind. I actually think having an arc is much better because it allows for clever little things like flashforwards (ie foreshadowing future events or time warp stories) as a plot device. It also allows the writers to build on events or the decisions made by characters earlier on in the show.

I like BSG as it is now... apart from a couple of very niggly things... the pacing is relentless and the characterization is superb. I'm just wondering how long would it be before all that would come to a screeching halt. Can they keep it up for too long? I don't have a problem with the pace of the show slowing down but how much can they develop well-loved characters without going from the sublime to the ridiculous? Something to akin to long-running soaps.
                          I agree that the show should go on as long as there are stories to tell and there is an audience that wants to hear it. But I'm equally concerned that the show maintain its integrity in the long term and not go on for the sake of going through the motions. I suppose I'm wondering how long it is before they have to find earth without pushing the viewer tolerance levels of red herrings to its utmost limits.
                          Hence, this is why I think a show like BSG cannot really continue for too long without taking away some of its original edge.
                          sigpic
                          "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

I agree that the show should go on as long as there are stories to tell and there is an audience that wants to hear it. But I'm equally concerned that the show maintain its integrity in the long term and not go on for the sake of going through the motions. I suppose I'm wondering how long it is before they have to find earth without pushing the viewer tolerance levels of red herrings to its utmost limits.
                            Hence, this is why I think a show like BSG cannot really continue for too long without taking away some of its original edge.
                            If you watch any of the "travelling to a destination but never actually getting there" series (Wagon Train, The Fugitive, etc), eventually the Colonials will decide to stop somewhere and there would be a whole new set of situations and stories to tell (until the Cylons find them again). Right now, you have people (mostly military) coming on to the show and others being killed off or saved for later guest appearances. So the audience gets to know these newcomers and what they bring to the table to tell their story. Expect to see the civilian or political side to introduce new characters and do the same. I would like to see more of the little people's story to go along with the main cast story arc and the guest star of the week. That way, the viewer will get to meet and see how the other half lives and survives. There has to be an underground economy, like B5's down under, and it would be interesting to see that every now and then.

Reaching or finding Earth will probably be the end of the series. Hopefully "Earth" will be as or more advanced than the Colonials or Cylons. Or the Colonials just may finally find a planet hidden from the Cylons and just call that Earth. The question that keeps coming up is how did the Colonials or the 13th tribe know the name of the planet? It's not like the other 12 tribes knew that they were migrating to Caprica, Picon, etc. A revelation like that can't be easily explained away unless the Colonials originated from Earth.

Last edited by Sci-Fi; 10 August 2005, 08:24 PM.
                            It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Comment

Going back to Easter Lily's original question, I'd prefer my show to resemble a good book: a beginning, a middle, and an end. Guess I like closure.
                              In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane. ~ Oscar Wilde

Comment

Working...
                              X