Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast

Default Re: Crystal Skull (321)

I agree, Dana Jeanne. I wish they'd do a follow-up episode. I'd like to see Daniel reunited with his grandfather. Poor Daniel. He has no relatives left besides Nick.

Re: Crystal Skull (321)

I'm a Maya archaeologist, and I provided the ancient Maya translation for this episode. Don't look for me in the credits, "all I got was a lousy t-shirt" (seriously, they wouldn't even give me a hat after using my Ph.D. level knowledge of ancient Maya, just the t-shirt). I'm not dissing the episode (although I was not as impressed as other episodes), but I really wish they'd have done more with the ancient Maya in this series. There is sooooo much ancient Maya mythology and history that would fit into SG-1 mythology! Hope everyone enjoyed the episode, though. I worked for a week on how to translate "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" into a language that is not spoken any more. Just shows how much detail is involved in every episode of this show.

P.S. I always thought that they were trying to name Nick after William Bullard - a famous Maya archaeologist from the 1960's who worked in Belize.

Chief Master Sergeant Hathor999's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mayaboy
    I'm a Maya archaeologist, and I provided the ancient Maya translation for this episode. Don't look for me in the credits, "all I got was a lousy t-shirt" (seriously, they wouldn't even give me a hat after using my Ph.D. level knowledge of ancient Maya, just the t-shirt). I'm not dissing the episode (although I was not as impressed as other episodes), but I really wish they'd have done more with the ancient Maya in this series. There is sooooo much ancient Maya mythology and history that would fit into SG-1 mythology! Hope everyone enjoyed the episode, though. I worked for a week on how to translate "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" into a language that is not spoken any more. Just shows how much detail is involved in every episode of this show.
    I like Crystal Skull. It was my introduction into the world of Stargate. I don´t think that it was a perfect episode but an interesting look into Daniels past. I would love it, too, if there would be some more Maya mythology in the show. The problem is that I don´t think that we will have in the future very much mythology. The PTB decided that they want have a X-Files/Star Trek mix and there is no longer very much place for the history/archeology/mythology aspect.
    And it´s interesting to meet someone on this board who is archeologist. I think it´s very fascinating ocupation.
    Last edited by Hathor999; December 8th, 2004 at 04:02 PM.

Right next to the Stargate, the one I made.

Earth Symbol Re: Crystal Skull (321)

Maybe they'll remedy that for the ninth season.
    Yes, I really do look like (a younger) Daniel. Don't believe me? Look for yourself.

http://i2.tinypic.com/20gmk8w.jpg
    Hey, Mitchell! You want a turn?

I was just thinking, if they go back to visit Nick maybe we see what it looks like outside of pyrmid when they are out of phase from the skull. Are there other people living there? Will Teal'c become out of phase with them since he has no symboit?

Quote Originally Posted by Mayaboy
    Hey cool - I'm an Egyptologist!!!!

So Stargate isn't too "dumb" or something for "us"!
    Hopefully at least the t-shirt is nice
    http://www.alexandra-velten.net/pix/iskandrasig.jpg
    Thanks to bling for the great sig!
    Proud Hussy of Babylon (tm) and resident linguist
    ~CELLO!~
    ~Proud member of the official Dr Radek Zelenka Fan Club!~

Post Re: Crystal Skull (321)

The scene with Rothman trying to get zapped by the skull was hilarious
    Hitler, Stalin, and Mussolini => three of the world's worst dictators.

Also failed artist, failed priest, and failed grade-school teacher.

What we should learn: Don't trust artists, be wary of priests, and fear your teachers!

Re: Crystal Skull (321)

I wonder if the giant ghosty person is a Furling. I hope they bring them back in a future episode. After all, they are enemies of the Goa'uld
    Hitler, Stalin, and Mussolini => three of the world's worst dictators.

Also failed artist, failed priest, and failed grade-school teacher.

What we should learn: Don't trust artists, be wary of priests, and fear your teachers!

Quote Originally Posted by PugGate
    I wonder if the giant ghosty person is a Furling. I hope they bring them back in a future episode. After all, they are enemies of the Goa'uld

Yea me too. They seem to have some real power and technology. Hopefully it isn't another one of those 1 episode story lines like so many are.

I love the giant, he is so sweet
    and Jack was funny falling from the bed...lol
    the epi was slow at the beginning but was interesting later .
    i hope we will see Nick in the future

Those who read this thread my appreciate the stupidity of the individual who gave me red reputation points because of my Signature...even after he saw my avatar...burns me up...just because he is so stupid...normally I might not mind so much. He gave me neg and said my signature confused him.
    <a href=http://s6.photobucket.com/user/spimman/media/Sig1_zps2497bbad.jpg.html target=_blank><a href=http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y202/spimman/Sig1_zps2497bbad.jpg target=_blank>http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y20...ps2497bbad.jpg</a></a>

Quote Originally Posted by Spimman
    Those who read this thread my appreciate the stupidity of the individual who gave me red reputation points because of my Signature...even after he saw my avatar...burns me up...just because he is so stupid...normally I might not mind so much. He gave me neg and said my signature confused him.
    wow! you really like this epi Spimman
    I like you sig and avatar!!!

I want Vala's avatar!!!

Yeah, I used to have the Knox lead guy and the quote was, "Someday you will realize your way is not the only way." I could be a little off on that quote...I found too many people had that avatar so I switched, I just really like cool SG-1 quotes.
    <a href=http://s6.photobucket.com/user/spimman/media/Sig1_zps2497bbad.jpg.html target=_blank><a href=http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y202/spimman/Sig1_zps2497bbad.jpg target=_blank>http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y20...ps2497bbad.jpg</a></a>

Quote Originally Posted by Spimman
    Yeah, I used to have the Knox lead guy and the quote was, "Someday you will realize your way is not the only way." I could be a little off on that quote...I found too many people had that avatar so I switched, I just really like cool SG-1 quotes.
    yes, and this is a really fine Q.
    very smart one.
    do you have one for me. i only saw till epi 4X3...

Quote Originally Posted by Ancient
    I liked this episode becasue it related to the personal lifes of the characters rrather than being a standard recon. I think it's interesting to see the backstories for the characters that are developed.
    I agree. This was a really good episode and very entertaining. I thought of Patrick Swayze in Ghost, as well. I said Daniel needs to go on the subway and find that guy who can teach him how to move things.

Anyway, that also made me wonder about the floor, stairs, sitting on the bed, etc. I always wondered about that in Ghost, as well.

Before I saw the giant alien, I thought Nick's description kinda sounded like the ascendeds, (Oma Desala, etc.), except for the giant part.

Quote Originally Posted by Liv
    Also, when they're all waiting to see Nick and the nurse asks if they're close, Teal'c says: "Yes, extremely". The tone of his voice is just too funny.
    That part reminded me of the Kirk/Spock dialogue in Star Trek 4, when they are in Gillian's truck discussing what to eat.

Quote Originally Posted by Hathor999
    The problem is that I don´t think that we will have in the future very much mythology. The PTB decided that they want have a X-Files/Star Trek mix and there is no longer very much place for the history/archeology/mythology aspect.
    I hope they didn't do that. I'm new to SG, watching on the DVD's. The mythology and exploration aspects are some of the things that really set Stargate apart from some of the other stuff you mentioned. Why do production companies/networks always have to dumb-down things?

This was great I like the whole exploration thing. It was a good story and daniel was funny. Nick was very good as well, him and daniel made their relationship seem real.
    The pyramid was cool and the giant aliens were .....well giant! I wish they could have gone back to this one even if it meant the giant aliens were too busy to help us. Mind you with most SG aliens it would have meant us helping them!
    *Watch out for them nintendos* as jack would say!

MS was funny in this episode and it suited him, shame the giant aliens and Nick have never been seen since!

Yea, it was supposed to be a trade rite? So Nick should have come back to share his newly learnt knowledge.

Thumbs up Giaant Ay-liens

Quote Originally Posted by Symobolt
    I liked it very much cause it brought back the magical feel of Stargate the movie - you know, Dänikenian exploration and all of earth's mythology actually being based on past alien presence and stuff
    That's a perfect way to put it, though I have no clue what "Dänikenian" means. I adore these archeology episodes - this one, "The Tomb" and "The Curse" are some of my very favorites. The Giant Alien was SO cool (mad props to Mayaboy for the translation!) and it was fun having Daniel out of phase from everyone else. I think it would have been great to have him see what kind of mischief he could cause as an invisible man, but the episode had enough humor as it was. I love the scene where Jack flops off the bed, as well as Daniel's "Wait, what, that's it? What ever happened to staying up all night? ...I'd do it for you..."

But my favorite exchange in the episode was near the end:

Nick: Now ve must vait for de giaant ay-liens.
    Jack: ...That just has a nice ring to it.

And unlike many, I thought the cavern shots looked great. It didn't look real, but it did look cool. Like...I dunno, like SG-1 was walking through a minature model or something.

The only problem is the ending. It seems like it got cut off because the ran out of time. It leaves us wondering what happened next. I figure it's something like:

Daniel: Thanks...grandpa.
    (Awkward silence)
    Carter: So now what? The script just kinda cuts off.
    Giant Alien: Yeah, so...if you ever need me, just drop me a line. I can reach stuff on the top shelf...and.......stuff....
    O'Niell: Okay, cool. Um. So, be seeing you around then?
    Giant Alien: Yeah, yeah. Watch out for Nintendos on your way out. Heh...heh.

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast