X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Epitaph For Stargate

EPITAPH FOR STARGATE:

"Here lies a once entertaining and intelligent science fiction story"
    The first four shows have stunk!What has happened to Stargate?Please lose the Vala character;she doesn't belong.You are taking Stargate where no intelligent viewers are likely to go;where no loyal viewers are likely to go!Please don't go the way of "Star Trek:Enterprise".You are heading in that direction!
    Stargate was the one decent and intelligent program that the Sci-Fi channel had to offer.
    What has happened to Mallozzie and Mullie,run out of good story ideas?They have in the past,written some of Stargate's best scripts.Also,the dynamic of the show has been lost.Are you trying to infuse Stargate with Farscape?It is still called Stargate SG-1,right??Have you forgotten what the SG-1 stands for?Please don't turn it into:"Stargate FS Clone".

I respect your opinion, but just don't agree with you. I like where the show is heading, and can't wait for it to get rolling when carter returns. I don't think we will be seeing any epitaph for this show any time soon, at least not while fans like me support the series.
    sigpic
    MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
    "...phu...ah..."
    "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
    Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

I think people are expecting too much from a show. We can all disagree on the direction of the show based on our own views but that doesn't mean that others won't like the changes. Yes I agree that Vala doesn't belong not on the show but on SG-1 because of her past actions but I think that the change is interesting. I think it is a welcome change from the standard team goes through the gate because you have all your characters starting off from different positions. Daniel going to Atlantis, O'neil at Homeworld Security, Teal'c with the Jaffa nation and Sam at R&D. If you expect all this to be resolved in one or two episodes then resolving all this so quickly would be a diservice to the history of the characters and everytihng that they have done. I think it makes the show more real in a sense where problems can sometimes that a long time to solve and that a team doesn't always just click. I don't see why we need to go right back to the status quo. I think that would be boring and I see this as the transitional phase for SG-1 the show. I would hope that when Sam returns to the show that it doesn't just settle in but moves forward making the viewer understand how things have changed since Carter has been away and since CM entered the show. I like change and this is just a show to enjoy. I don't take it as seriously and as such I don't have the problems that others do and I find myself enjoying it more because of it. It's sometimes silly sometimes serious and dramatic but for the most part always fun.

Comment

Originally posted by gater
        EPITAPH FOR STARGATE:

The first four shows have stunk!What has happened to Stargate?Please lose the Vala character;she doesn't belong.You are taking Stargate where no intelligent viewers are likely to go;where no loyal viewers are likely to go!Please don't go the way of "Star Trek:Enterprise".You are heading in that direction!
        Stargate was the one decent and intelligent program that the Sci-Fi channel had to offer.
        What has happened to Mallozzie and Mullie,run out of good story ideas?They have in the past,written some of Stargate's best scripts.Also,the dynamic of the show has been lost.Are you trying to infuse Stargate with Farscape?It is still called Stargate SG-1,right??Have you forgotten what the SG-1 stands for?Please don't turn it into:"Stargate FS Clone".

Trust me. SG1 is in absolutely no danger of turning into Farscape. I should be so lucky!

As far as the ratings/direction of the show, I think TPTB are doing what they can with what/who they have. AT's not available for 5 episodes, RDA chose to leave, both of their situations due to family obligations (admirable reasons, both).

The ratings are where they were last year, so the show hasn't suffered a great exodus of viewers. Apparently, most people are either A-enjoying the show or B-patiently awaiting Carter's return.

If it were up to me, I'd still be watching Ben Browder and Claudia Black as John and Aeryn. Be glad you still have some semblance of your favorite TV show and know that it's going to be back to "normal" in no time, once AT returns.

I, for one, will sure miss Claudia, though

As my corporate managers are fond of saying: The only constant is change.

Comment

"The once intelligent show"--frankly I thought for a "lighthearted episode" The Ties That Bind was far more intelligent than most of the other episodes that have passed for lighthearted in the last few years. So if anything I think in that respect it's a change for the good and even though Vala is not and can't be part of the team, as of now they are all acting like more of a team(one just getting to know each other but a team still) than SG-1 had been for the last couple seasons too.

It was just a fun episode, which had some set-up for the more serious trouble in the future with the threatened funding and the coming of a civilian advisor. Stargate has always had some "fun" episodes mixed in with the serious and actually for the first time since maybe the 4th season I actually found the "humorous episode" humorous. I usually spend them cringing. This is SG-1, sure Vala is going to be gone and Sam is going to return but aside from that switch it's going to Mitchell and Daniel and Teal'c and Landry with Lam and Lee and Walter, so what we got was a more lighthearted episodes that featured more of the team(new though it may be) than some of the other humorous episodes have (that one with the computer Virus comes to mind, I've totally wiped the title from my mind I disliked it so much).

The show was going to change, AT wasn't going to be here in any case, RDA is gone--this has been an interesting, energetic change while setting up and introducing the new characters. Personally I love Mitchell. I love his enthusiasm, I love his respect, I love his positive attitude. And Vala is a close behind, she is a bit OTT but she's got so much energy and she purposely shakes things up. And Landry has a great way about him, clearly a leader but someone who does care about these people under his command and who takes his job seriously, realizes he is going to have to make compromises he may not like but doesn't take himself overly seriously.

So I can't complain, I've liked all of the newbies and I was really questionable on how I'd feel about Mitchell initially and wasn't at all sure how Vala would work out on a more full time basis.

Comment

Please give us a break! There're enough individual threads about "I hate changes". Post in the Anti season 9 thread please!

Comment

You are taking Stargate where no intelligent viewers are likely to go;where no loyal viewers are likely to go!
              Well, you're perfectly entitled to your opinion, of course. But few things bug me as much as someone assuming that everyone else in the world shares their view and who presumes to speak for everyone else besides themselves.

I count myself as an intelligent viewer and a loyal fan of Stargate. And I'm enjoying S9 so far in the main. Much more than I expected I would.

Albion
              Listen, we had General Ryan come on and do a little cameo for us, and he's a real live four star, one of the big guys. And I had to ask him point blank, because there's a certain irreverence that I bring to the character, and denseness, but while we were doing this scene, I just looked at him and said, "Do you have guys like me in...?" and he stopped me and said, "Yes, and worse, and you're doing a fine job, son."

Richard Dean Anderson

Comment

I love how the show is suddenly ''unintelligent'' because one (recurring) character made a few sexual innuendos. And how people who are enjoying the new season must also be ''unintelligent''.

Comment

Not intelligent? wow!

First, season 9 successfully revives the gist of Stargate, which is Daniel confronting superstition thanks to historical enlightenment, and gets rid of a huge load of USAF parasites who were just there to provide a funded sgc and secondarily to compensate for the universal message by appealing to more localized audiences.

Second, season 9 explores Christian middle-ages, and I am surprised nobody saw the parallel with the bind that linked Tristan and Isolde. Vala's sexual ranting is just there to compensate for the highly romantic and spiritual nature of the relationship.

Third, as the love bind is confirmed and made "cosmic", we have an episode narrating how things are bound together in the universe. And by the way a great feat at adding multiple just evoked subplots to the main plot.

I found "the ties that bind" close to genius, personally.
                  No rep points, I'm out of the Karma now. No title would be perfect.
                  I apologize for not having time to read everything, and missing relevant contributions.
                  Please don't read my posts as important about real life issues, and don't reply as such.

Comment

And how its apparently a Farscape Clone

Wow SG1 must have travelled across the galaxy and ended up on a living ship filled with aliens and puppets in a war against PeaceKeepers and Scarrans

That would be a Farscape Clone...this isn't. Most who say it is are those who have seen only 1 ep. I myself have only seen half of season 3 and all of season 4 and dont think it is a Scape clone

Comment

Originally posted by Osiris
                      Please give us a break! There're enough individual threads about "I hate changes". Post in the Anti season 9 thread please!
                      AMEN!! And please, Gater, do not assume other "loyal" Stargate viewers agree with you without first consulting us!
                      Teal'c--what's with the hair?

Comment

Originally posted by gater
                        EPITAPH FOR STARGATE:

Bah!, I say... BAH..!!!
                        pbbtt..! ...and you call yourself a 'gater'.

Seriously though... that is your opinion and your entitled to it... but I think you'll find that many strongly disagree. Like myself for instance... I did mention that I disagree right?? Anywho... I think Stargate has a few more years left in it. Once SG-1 is fully reassembled I predict it will begin to rock even more than it already does. Or for those who 'insist' upon the 'old stargate', perhaps a little more back to the form you think it should be. For Jack's sake, let the show get itself back on its feet..! You think they can just 'magically' make the show like it was with RDA and Amanda Tapping? Carter will be back, but you gotta have patience man..! RDA... well, he's gone... but who knows, maybe from time to time he'll honor us by dropping in on a few episodes occaisonally. After all, that IS why the writers have kept him alive in the SG universe. I say, "Drop in any time Jack..!"
                        The success or failure of your deeds, does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed! Judge yourself by the intentions of your actions, and by the strength with which you faced the challenges that have stood in your way. The Universe is so vast, and we are so small, there is only truly one thing we can control; whether we are good or evil... -Oma Desala
                        Spoiler:

To all the 'Sci & Tech' forum users: If you are searching for a thread about your topic of interest, please come visit our Concordance Thread. If you have any questions, we will attempt to help you.
                        http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=26498

Feel free to pass the green..!

My Website... http://return-of-the-constitution.webs.com
                        My Blog @ http://myhatsize.blogspot.com
                        Amazing Literary Works of Fel... http://sennadar.com/wp/

Also, visit my webpage at... http://www.stargatesg1.com/Seastallion Sadly, this page is gone with the website that supported it, but I'll keep the link up in memorial.

Comment

We already have two threads along these lines - Should have ended at Season 8 and Anti-season 9. Both are in this folder.

For that reason I'm closing this thread.
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X