Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

All the Wraith need is one Dart... Right?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All the Wraith need is one Dart... Right?

Highlight for *Spoilers* in Episode "Duet" below:
    McKay and Cadman got dematerialized when they were swept up by the dart. Their information was then stored in a computer later to be rematerialized for feeding. Based on this, if I'm correct, since they're not stored as living flesh and blood can't they be duplicated. Kind of like clicking copy and then past on your computer if you will imagine. You would just need more power to make more people right? Maybe more matter too, but I, at least, don't even know what the thing needs to work. Before I saw Duet I just thought the people were beamed up into a holding compartment and stunned at the same time LoL. Anyways, if it's all true, bingo! Wraith starvation problem solved. Ethical problems? Well, you tell me.
    Things I've learned about the Stargate Universe:
    1. Don't kiss a goa'uld.
    2. Don't shake hands with a Wraith.
    3. Whacko! are the Ori. It's their way or the hot way.

Oh, I haven't seen "Duet" yet, I have to wait until tommorow, before I can reply with anything intelligent.

Owen Macri

Comment

Clearly, the Wraiths don't like to eat the same people over and over.

Originally posted by !Dorentus!
      McKay and Cadman got dematerialized when they were swept up by the dart. Their information was then stored in a computer later to be rematerialized for feeding. Based on this, if I'm correct, since they're not stored as living flesh and blood can't they be duplicated. Kind of like clicking copy and then past on your computer if you will imagine. You would just need more power to make more people right? Maybe more matter too, but I, at least, don't even know what the thing needs to work. Before I saw Duet I just thought the people were beamed up into a holding compartment and stunned at the same time LoL. Anyways, if it's all true, bingo! Wraith starvation problem solved. Ethical problems? Well, you tell me.
      "Thermodynamics is the only physical theory of universal content which, within the framework of the applicability of its basic concepts, I am convinced will never be overthrown." — Albert Einstein

Comment

I noticed that you simply made the spoiler text white, this doesn't work for quotes. I appoligize, but would you mind making it and actual tag [ spoiler ] and [ /spoiler ] just without spaces.

Owen Macri

Comment

Originally posted by !Dorentus!
          Spoiler:
          McKay and Cadman got dematerialized when they were swept up by the dart. Their information was then stored in a computer later to be rematerialized for feeding. Based on this, if I'm correct, since they're not stored as living flesh and blood can't they be duplicated.
          Kind of like clicking copy and then past on your computer if you will imagine. You would just need more power to make more people right? Maybe more matter too, but I, at least, don't even know what the thing needs to work.
          Spoiler:
          Before I saw Duet I just thought the people were beamed up into a holding compartment and stunned at the same time LoL.
          Anyways, if it's all true, bingo! Wraith starvation problem solved. Ethical problems? Well, you tell me.

Theoretically speaking, your idea makes complete sense. Cloning would solve the Wraith's food short problem.

Spoiler:
          Actually, the Wraith Dart handles culled humans in a manner similar to how the stargate dematerializes and re-materializes stuff. That much was mentioned in Duet.

The Stargate is unable to create new stuff from the signatures it uses. In other words, if Jack walks into the gate, only one copy of him will come out at the other side. In a similar manner, the Wraith dart only makes one "copy" of whatever it culls. As far as i know, it has no ability to create copies of anything it culls. But jury-rigging a system to make copies is not outside the realm of possibility. But then you run into a slight snag: materials. It would be hard to create copies when you have no physical material to build the copies from. Photocopiers use paper and ink. What would the Wraith Dart use?

Comment

The Stargate could be used to create copies of people. You send through raw energy with the information of a person, as the Stargate would scan it, the energy will be materialized into whatever the information says. It may be a little more complicated than this but it is surley possible to turn the Stargate into a matter replicator.

Owen Macri

Comment

Originally posted by Owen Macri
              The Stargate could be used to create copies of people. You send through raw energy with the information of a person, as the Stargate would scan it, the energy will be materialized into whatever the information says. It may be a little more complicated than this but it is surley possible to turn the Stargate into a matter replicator.

Owen Macri
              I think the question is, does the Dart and the Stargate store the matter AND the info, or just the info.
              If it stores both, your theories won't work, as it would need matter to re-assemble.
              I suppose you could try to do something where you feed it matter(garbage??) and disable the scanner, making the stargate accept other data instead.
              So you feed it a bag of garbage and get mckay out the other side. It still wouldn't have his mind tho.
              I think the Stargate, at least, stores or transmits matter as they talk about the 'matter stream' on occasion.
              If it only stored info, then it would work.
              Personally, I think it stores matter and info, kinda like having a jigsaw puzzle and instructions on how it goes together.
              The instructions are fine, but without the jigsaw, they are useless.
              A jigsaw is fun without instructions, but your gonna make mistakes.

Comment

Well, seeing as it converts the matter into energy, then converts the energy back into matter, based on the scan that it took at the first event horizon. It is possible.

Owen Macri

Comment

Originally posted by Lightsabre
                  I think the question is, does the Dart and the Stargate store the matter AND the info, or just the info.
                  If it stores both, your theories won't work, as it would need matter to re-assemble.
                  I suppose you could try to do something where you feed it matter(garbage??) and disable the scanner, making the stargate accept other data instead.
                  So you feed it a bag of garbage and get mckay out the other side. It still wouldn't have his mind tho.
                  I think the Stargate, at least, stores or transmits matter as they talk about the 'matter stream' on occasion.
                  If it only stored info, then it would work.
                  Personally, I think it stores matter and info, kinda like having a jigsaw puzzle and instructions on how it goes together.
                  The instructions are fine, but without the jigsaw, they are useless.
                  A jigsaw is fun without instructions, but your gonna make mistakes.
                  I tend to agree with LightSabre on that one. That's how i understood how the gate works. Like i said before, the gate really can't make copies unless you give it the materials to make copies from. And you would have to do some serious jury rigging to get the gate to make the copies anyway - mostly by re-writing the operating software that controls the gate itself. That may not be hard as it seems. After all, we did jury rig a working dialing system to dial the gate with. So integrating copy functionality into the gate probably wouldn't be too hard. The real question comes down to effectively providing the materials for the gate to build it's copies from.

Comment

Originally posted by lethalfang
                    Clearly, the Wraiths don't like to eat the same people over and over.
                    Yeah, I thought of that, but I was just thinking if it could be done or not. I think if the Wraith really wanted to, they could find a way to not cull humans all the time; there's cloning, duplicating, animals, farming, making some lifeless food that has all the nutrients that they need, etc. However, I get the picture that the wraith have a bit of evil in them and enjoy hunting and feeding on a variety of screaming people uh.. no wait
                    1. Don't kiss a goa'uld.

Comment

Originally posted by Owen Macri
                      I noticed that you simply made the spoiler text white, this doesn't work for quotes. I appoligize, but would you mind making it and actual tag [ spoiler ] and [ /spoiler ] just without spaces.

Owen Macri
                      Uh Oh! I'm sorry, no need for you to apologize btw. I didn't know how you guys made those types of spoiler tags.
                      Last edited by !Dorentus!; 07 August 2005, 08:36 PM.
                      1. Don't kiss a goa'uld.

Comment

Well, if the Dart stores its victims as energy, which is implied due to the small size of the Dart, it should be easy to do that. All the Wraith would have to do would be to suck up something with a good ammount of matter in it (say a boulder), convert it to energy as the Dart already does, and then use that energy to reform it into the matter of whomever you wish. You don't need to store the patterns of the "fuel" objects, as they are not going to be rematerialized in that form. You only need to keep the patterns of your "finished product" in memory.

Comment

That is allright, there is no need for you to apoligize. lol.

Owen Macri

Comment

There would be no jury-rigging or program configuring required. This is the sequence of event in which the gate works.

1. Activates.
                            2. Scans and records genertic and molecular sturucture of matter as it passes the event horizon.
                            3. Dematerializes the matter into energy as it crosses the event horizon.
                            4. When matter has fully enetered the gate the information taken from the scan is sent through the wormhole, and the energy from the dematerialized matter is also sent.
                            5. Energy is rematerialized into matter at the second event horizon using the information taken from the scan as a "template," if you will.

All you would need to do, is scan the person as the Stargate would do, possibly by activating an event horizon but not a wormhole and copying the data from the control crystal in a dhd to a hard drive. Then you activate the gate, and send pure energy through the event horizon, you block out the information that is trying to be sent by the gate, by possibly activating the gate without an event horizon, then you send the information through the gate multiple times, as many times as you would like the matter. At the same time as you send the energy. You are in effect simulating matter actually passing through the gate, the Stargate will think that matter has dematerialized, and will materialize the energy using the "template."

No configuration, no jury-rigging required. You don't even need to use the Stargate to take the scan, you could use an Asgard sensor and convert it into a format the gate can read. And the only thing that might need to be semi-jury-rigged is stopping the gate from transmitting the proper information, which you could do by removing the control crystal, and directly linking a computer into the DHD to send the information.

Owen Macri

Comment

The way I see it there are TWO components to transmitting someone through a stargate, a teleporter, or a wraith beam.

1) The body and the energy pattern associated with it.

2) The mind or essence of the person. The part of Cadman that was inside Rodney.

It's this second part which ascends, experiences the squeeling pigs effect inside the wormhole, is damaged by the sarcophagus, and is fed upon by the wraith.

When an object is rematerialised the matter comprising the object can be copied, but the soul of the person which exists as energy anyway cannot be copied.

Comment

Working...
                              X