This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"I love me" walls

Everyone keeps mentioning Rodney's "I love me wall" but I noticed Cadman had some framed pictures, certificates etc on her wall. Isn't it common for people to have their degrees framed. In fact, I think it is practical for a professional to have these things in their office. I always check out my doctors credentials when I am in a doctor's office. Would you rather be treated by a surgeon with one certificate or one with a dozen or more on his/her walls?

And how is framing degrees all that different than the picture of the "big fish" or even worse - the taxidermied trophy? Or how is it different from sports trophys lining bookcases and mantle shelves? Or military officers wearing medals. All indicate the owner "accomplished" something.

We're all different in what we value - in what we invest our time in. Some might choose to fully restore a classic car that is kept under cover in the garage; for others it might be earning an advanced degree. But I think we all want to feel the satisfaction that we have accomplished something.

My degrees and certificates are kept in a folder somewhere and only taken out for job interviews. The only people I know who display them are doctors and for good reason.
    When I saw Rodney's wall, I laughed... A very nice touch... and very much in character. I don't know how he managed to squeeze all those certificates into his trunk but I thought each member of the expedition were only allowed a certain amount of baggage. I wonder about how much bribery and corruption went into his being allowed that many "academic trophies" on the wall.
    It's quite fascinating... people's rooms... tells us a lot about the person inhabiting the space. Very clever of the prop people to include such detail.
    sigpic
    "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

Originally posted by Easter Lily
      My degrees and certificates are kept in a folder somewhere and only taken out for job interviews. The only people I know who display them are doctors and for good reason.
      When I saw Rodney's wall, I laughed... A very nice touch... and very much in character. I don't know how he managed to squeeze all those certificates into his trunk but I thought each member of the expedition were only allowed a certain amount of baggage. I wonder about how much bribery and corruption went into his being allowed that many "academic trophies" on the wall.
      It's quite fascinating... people's rooms... tells us a lot about the person inhabiting the space. Very clever of the prop people to include such detail.
      Well we know they were only allowed one personal item when they went through the gate the first time. They had limited amount of time to bring all the people and equipment through so stuff would need to be limited. Now they have a ship that can make trips back and forth between Earth and Atlantis so I guess they can now bring a lot more personal stuff, though I would still think space would be limited as the shipping cost would by huge, but if the Deadleus has any extra space you might as well use it.

I personally like the fact that they are making themselves more at home and Atlantis seems more like an active scientific base and less like an isolated outpost.
      Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Originally posted by AGateFan
        Now they have a ship that can make trips back and forth between Earth and Atlantis so I guess they can now bring a lot more personal stuff, though I would still think space would be limited as the shipping cost would by huge, but if the Deadleus has any extra space you might as well use it.

I personally like the fact that they are making themselves more at home and Atlantis seems more like an active scientific base and less like an isolated outpost.
        Notice that Lt. Cadman had assorted excerise equipment, along with posters and other things in her room. (Did I spot a flight helmet on her desk?)

a time to mourn

Comment

The "I love me" wall is an exercise in ego gratification and trying to impress people. It's a good clue to use, though. I run in law and politics circles and when I see one of those, I know I'm dealing with someone's inflated ego, an ego that I may need to either stroke, or decimate, or get around, to get what I want.

I have no need to impress myself and anyone walking into my office already knows my qualifications or they wouldn't be there. I have art on my walls - edgy original outsider art, prints from museums, a grouping of 3 photos I've taken, blown up, and a particularly whimsical painting done by my goddaughter, age 3. This makes my office quite comfortable as my working space and welcoming, or disarming, as a place for others.

Rodney's quarters are his living space, not his professional space, so his need to have his impressive credentials in his line of sight is a little absurd, but consistent with his level of (justifiable) conceit. He had a bedside picture of a kittycat. Such a good metaphor for Rodney.

Cadman had something like a framed collection of insignia badges, but at her bedside she had a photo of her posed with her family, a photo with friends, and a picture of a German Shepard doggy.
          ~*~*~*~*~*
          not so ancient

http://www.sloganizer.net/en/style4,...pc-ancient.png
          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...thejourney.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...thejourney.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...thejourney.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...thejourney.jpg

PLEASE donate to the American Red Cross for Hurricane Disaster Relief ~ My LJ ~ My Disclaimer ~ A Mitch Pileggi Discussion Group

Comment

Originally posted by not so ancient
            Rodney's quarters are his living space, not his professional space, so his need to have his impressive credentials in his line of sight is a little absurd, but consistent with his level of (justifiable) conceit. He had a bedside picture of a kittycat. Such a good metaphor for Rodney.
            Agreed, McKay makes a big show of how great he is but when it comes down to it he prefers his kitty. awhh!
            sigpic

Comment

Let me simplify my question:

Are "I love me" walls any different than trophies on the mantle?

Comment

No
                gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
                so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
                love Torri

Comment

Originally posted by SophieTucker
                  Let me simplify my question:

Are "I love me" walls any different than trophies on the mantle?
                  Your question has been answered. Murdered elk heads, trophies, certificates, whatever. Different shapes for the same thing: ego.
                  ~*~*~*~*~*
                  not so ancient

http://www.sloganizer.net/en/style4,...pc-ancient.png
                  http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...thejourney.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...thejourney.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...thejourney.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...thejourney.jpg

PLEASE donate to the American Red Cross for Hurricane Disaster Relief ~ My LJ ~ My Disclaimer ~ A Mitch Pileggi Discussion Group

Comment

i actually got a nice kick out of rodeny's 'i love me' wall. but ya know, i wouldnt have put it past him in the, ...past.
                    ROFLMAO Check This Out!!!

Comment

Originally posted by not so ancient
                      Cadman had something like a framed collection of insignia badges, but at her bedside she had a photo of her posed with her family, a photo with friends, and a picture of a German Shepard doggy.
                      There was a picture of his parents I persume on his desk as well as the cat pic by his bed, which has became a bit of a joke. What would be better? He puts them in clear view of everyone or in his quarters? I didn't have a problem with them. I thought it was sweet and very like Rodney.

Comment

It's not that "I love me" walls are a character flaw. They're just indicative of a certain character type.

It's one thing for a doctor to have her diploma framed on the office wall to reassure patients that she's not some quack. But most people feel no real urge to display their diplomas, plaques, awards, bowling trophies and grip-and-grin photos with high office holders.

And to put all that stuff on your bedroom wall?? That's adorkable. That's a guy who bounces out of bed in the morning, takes in the reassuring vista of his diplomas (and pictures of himself HOLDING diplomas) and tells himself: "Yes! I AM a winner! And I am a very handsome man!" And then he heads off to the lab, whistling.

Heh! I love McKay and his I-love-me wall. Absolutely love 'em.

Comment

The photo of his cat was cute - for all his pompus I'm-a-Genius carrying on, it shows he has a heart.

Has he ever mentioned what the name of his cat is?
                          BSG convert....

Comment

One list I'm on reckoned Rodney to be fairly sad and pathetic for having a picture of his kittycat and that made me seethe just a tad. Man likes his cat. Leave him alone.

Comment

Originally posted by Shep'sSocks
                              One list I'm on reckoned Rodney to be fairly sad and pathetic for having a picture of his kittycat and that made me seethe just a tad. Man likes his cat. Leave him alone.
                              It is a different cat to the one in Rising, which either means this was a beloved now dead moggy or he has a second cat we never saw, or most likely they stuffed up!

Comment

Working...
                              X