No announcement yet.

Maternal Instinct (320)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think the plot was most impressive - and what did you expect? A castle or a kind of paradise? Kheb matched my imagination.
    CARPE DIEM
    ANJA

Comment

Originally posted by Anja View Post
      I think the plot was most impressive - and what did you expect? A castle or a kind of paradise? Kheb matched my imagination.
      The plot was impressive. The execution, not as much. That's why I didn't even remember the episode. Something slightly out of the ordinary to represent Kheb would of been good.

Comment

Not bad, and this one truly sets the stage for some important plot developments. It also featured two actors who'd go on to much bigger roles later; Aaron Douglas who basically showed up to die as Moac and who would later become a part of the BSG ensemble cast as Chief Tyrol, and the first appearance of Steve Bacic as Major Coburn, who would later feature heavily on Andromeda as Gaheris/Telemachus Rhade.
        sigpic

Comment

And then change "sides" so to speak and become "Camulus" System Lord in S.8

LOVE how the Canadians re-use actors in the same series .....

Deeds xx
          sigpic
          Thanks to slizzie1986 for signature
          MSOL - Official Website of Michael Shanks

Comment

To be fair, Steve Bacic* was one of very few actors not in heavy makeup who played two different roles in a single Stargate series.

Seaboe

*I always look at this name and think it should be pronounced Bake-ik, but have assumed it's Basic. Anyone care to disillusion me?
            If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

Originally posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
              To be fair, Steve Bacic* was one of very few actors not in heavy makeup who played two different roles in a single Stargate series.

Seaboe

*I always look at this name and think it should be pronounced Bake-ik, but have assumed it's Basic. Anyone care to disillusion me?
              With names there are no rules - could even be Bacsh!
              CARPE DIEM
              ANJA

Comment

Originally posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post

Seaboe

The original Croatian would probably sound something like bah-cheech (to rhyme with screech, emphasis on the last syllable) but Steve pronounces it like you would say basic.
                sigpic

Comment

Good point, with names there are often the same spelling for a name, but with variant pronunciations..

Comment

One of my fave episodes. Another earth religion at least partially influenced by the Ancients and definetly confirms that the ascended are not ALL Ancients.

Personally I found the Asian appearance Monk a little too .. tropey. He played off both Anderson and Shanks well, but I just don't think he was needed.. but I guess was there to be a 'custodian'.

The reason I like this episode so much was Bra'tac. Hes definetly my favourite recurring character in SG-1 by a long mile. We see the man of 133 who has doubtless performed many atrocities and seen much. be challenged by the Tau'ri to finally come true on his convictions.

In this episode he's at a low point. He dosnt think he can continue the fight, until he realises that he can. He still has more to do. Tony Amendola put a LOT into Bra'tac and it pays off. He goes from losing Moac to deciding to keep fighting until he can no longer have a Primta.

We learn that Jack has a dim view of the Ascended. Jack to me though speaks of us who wish to see knowledge applied, not held back and hidden away.

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
                      I like this episode. But I had a huge problem with Daniel assuming he could light a candle with his mind with just a few minutes meditation. There's no way he could possibly do that in such a short time. He was incredibly naive to think that he was that mentally strong to be able to do that. And also a tad arrogant in thinking he was capable of protecting that baby from all evildoers. Of course, he realized finally that he couldn't do either, but for him to think for even a moment that he could was unrealistic (IMO).
                      Just curious, how long does it truly take to learn how to light a candle with your mind?

Comment

42 days
                        Originally posted by aretood2
                        Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by Surface View Post
                          Just curious, how long does it truly take to learn how to light a candle with your mind?
                          About the time when it has remembered where it last left the matches.

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                          42 days
                          Nevermind.
                          Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

One of my favorite episodes, I have to say.

It has a good bit of action, cryptic lines that make your head spin round in circles, and lots of good character interaction. My favorite line will always be, "Daniel - shoes.", and Daniel looking like "Oh right, shoes, I was wearing them -- where did I leave them?".

So, they finally found out where Kheb is and that Apophis is about to get real close too. They hop through the stargate and find themselves in beautiful British Columbia... I mean, on a beautiful green, and lush planet where they find the temple Bra'tac told them about. It even has a monk, talking in code. Daniel and Bra'tac join him in the sand, while Jack -- who has his own ideas about, well everything, rejoins the others outside.

So, we get a peaceful episode until the Jaffa come and mess things up. Daniel finds the boy but realizes, in time, that the kid is safer with Oma Desala -- Mother Nature -- than he could ever be with him so he hands him back. Apophis' jaffa get struck down my lightning and all is well that ends well.

It's a beautifully shot episode, in a beautiful location with a really nice little story. And there's plenty for everyone to enjoy.

How would you rate SG-1's "Maternal Instinct?"

Excellent
                            Good
                            Fair
                            Poor
                            Terrible

Comment

3-episode quiz: New Ground, Maternal Instinct & Crystal Skull
                              Jigsaw puzzle: Maternal Instinct

It took me 10:27 to finish the puzzle. I have to admit, it was harder than I thought it would be.

Comment

I always think this is a polarized episode. People either love or hate the ascension stories. I'm more of the former as I like the learning about the child and how Apophis is a bigger threat of Apophis. Plus their is also Bra'tac. Too bad we won't see him until S5. It's a good
                                Originally posted by aretood2
                                Jelgate is right

Comment

Working...
                                X