This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wraith Hive Ship Travel

I don't understand how the Wraith Hive Ships travel...do they use hyperspace similar to the Daedlus? and why did they suddenly seem to stop and come out of a sudden speed jolt when they came close to the Daedlus in Seige Part III, were they dropping out of hyperspace in order to cull another planet etc..?

Which is faster, the Daedlus or a Wraith Hive Ship(s)?

They use hyperspace, same as the Earth, Goa'uld, and Asgard ships.

The reason they looked like they stopped suddenly was because they where transitioning back to normal space. Watch SG-1. In the season four finale, Apophis and his fleet come out of hyperspace and then slow down just like the Wraith. Same goes for the fleet Apophis had during Lost City part 2. They are just decelerating from hyperspace so they don't overshoot their target or stopping point.

Comment

Thanks a lot.....that confirms my answer...

Comment

The WRaith have less advanced hyperdrive then Asgaurd

Comment

Originally posted by SG-4MarineLeader
          They use hyperspace, same as the Earth, Goa'uld, and Asgard ships.

The reason they looked like they stopped suddenly was because they where transitioning back to normal space. Watch SG-1. In the season four finale, Apophis and his fleet come out of hyperspace and then slow down just like the Wraith. Same goes for the fleet Apophis had during Lost City part 2. They are just decelerating from hyperspace so they don't overshoot their target or stopping point.
          I think you mean Anubis but no matter.

The Wraith hyperdrive is not as good as Asgard or even Goa'uld so they need to drop out of hyperspace every now and again. But the Daedal;us is faster than the Wraith ships.

Lantia home of Atlantis, Lost City of the Ancients

Anyone else going Portsmouth University in the summer?

Comment

Yeah, my bad, it was Anubis.

The Wraith may actually have fairly good hyperdrive, but their need/want to stop every so ofter for a "snack" may keep them from using it to its maximum potential. In season 1, it took those three Hive ships two weeks to show up. In Seige part 3, 12 where on the way less than a few hours after the battle, and 10 showed up in Atlantis less than two days after the first attack.

Comment

no, it was said that their hypserdrive is not as good and that they need to drop out of syhperspace every so often to recalculate their jump, get a bearing on where they are etc and then jump again, they also do tend to cull as they go, that does not help much.

thats one of the reasons they took so long to reach atlantis in the end of the season 1.

Comment

I expect that Wraith hyperdrives tend to run between 5 lightyears per hour and 25 ly per hour. That's roughly equivalent to what we've seen from the Goa'uld, though.

At sublight, I'd expect the Wraith are faster. Their ships have probably been more refined over time to have more speed for less fuel than the Daedalus (even if we have Asgard engines, they're not exactly custom for our design, at least as I understand it).

Comment

Originally posted by brockthepaine
                  I expect that Wraith hyperdrives tend to run between 5 lightyears per hour and 25 ly per hour. That's roughly equivalent to what we've seen from the Goa'uld, though.

At sublight, I'd expect the Wraith are faster. Their ships have probably been more refined over time to have more speed for less fuel than the Daedalus (even if we have Asgard engines, they're not exactly custom for our design, at least as I understand it).
                  It was said that Daedalus was designed specifically with Asgard technology, in other wrods, it's pretty much custom made. As seen in the battle with Wraith ships, Daedalus can hop around anywhere it wants to and leave Wraith ships in its dust.
                  "Thermodynamics is the only physical theory of universal content which, within the framework of the applicability of its basic concepts, I am convinced will never be overthrown." — Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by SG-4MarineLeader
                    Yeah, my bad, it was Anubis.

The Wraith may actually have fairly good hyperdrive, but their need/want to stop every so ofter for a "snack" may keep them from using it to its maximum potential. In season 1, it took those three Hive ships two weeks to show up. In Seige part 3, 12 where on the way less than a few hours after the battle, and 10 showed up in Atlantis less than two days after the first attack.
                    The found the fleet when it was thirty-six hours out, but the deep space sensors had been down for two days, IIRC. I don't think the full fleet was stopping to cull, they simply had to stop due to innefficient technology.

The Pegasus Galaxy is miniscule compared to the Milky Way, 4,000 lightyears across as opposed to 100,000ly. Those "inferior" hyperdrive engines were all the Wraith needed to tool around their little neighborhood.

a time to mourn

Comment

I believe they might have to make a trip in jumps because either

1) Their hyperdirves are too small for a ship the size of a hive ship, like in Grace when the prometheus had to do it in jumps to let it cool down

2) their navigation tech isnt that good so they need to drop to get their bearings straigh every so often

Comment

or 3) Their hyperdrive requires more energy then their reactors produce, so their batteries gets drained and they have to drop out of hyperspace and recharge them.
                        Last edited by aAnubiSs; 07 August 2005, 08:57 AM.

Comment

Mckay said "The Wraith faster than light travel is not as efficient as the hyperdrive on the Daedelus"

Faster than light travel? I may be misinterpretting this, but where the writers trying to convey that the wraith don't use hyperdrive?

Comment

hyperdrives are FTL

Anything >c is FTL=)

Comment

Originally posted by Beal
                              Mckay said "The Wraith faster than light travel is not as efficient as the hyperdrive on the Daedelus"

Faster than light travel? I may be misinterpretting this, but where the writers trying to convey that the wraith don't use hyperdrive?
                              the wraith do use hyperdrive, only a sucky one compared to the daedelus

Comment

Working...
                              X