Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Martin Gero Appreciation Thread (spoilers for everything)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yep, add me to the list of MG fan girls

Although we all know the SG/A writers hammer out much of the stories together, Martin's episodes do stand out.

So either he's just just got a very, very lucky hand when the stories get passed around...or he's just a fantastic writer.

A little of both maybe?

Originally posted by GatetheWay
    The epsodes that MG has written so far are...
    Childhood's End
    The Storm
    The Eye
    The Brotherhood
    The Gift
    The Siege, Part 1
    The Siege, Part 3
    Duet
    Conversion
    The Lost Boys

And for SG-1: The Powers That Be (it's next week )
    Here's my MG list (of those that have aired):

7. The Siege, Part 3 (liked it lots and lots but didn't love it due to Clown!Mckay)
    6. Childhood's End (great concept, great character stuff for so early on, but shot kinda weird)
    5. The Storm/The Eye (the eps that, imo, marked the beginning of what the show was supposed to be/ was capable of becoming)
    4. The Siege, Part 1 (So sad! Set up great tension)
    3. The Brotherhood (treasure hunt and McShep interaction...nuff said)
    2. The Gift (completely turned around my opinion of Teyla)
    1. Duet (Mckay. And...Mckay. Oh, and Shep and Mckay. And Mckay and Zelenka and Mckay and Beckett. And McKay...nekkid!)
    Last edited by SaharaGate; 07 August 2005, 06:06 AM.

Comment

I have to agree that Martin certainly hit it out of the park with Duet. It's definately my all-time favorite Atlantis episode thus far. I have to admit that I had worried that it would be too farcical (Blake Edwards night at Atlantis if you know what I mean) but it wasn't over the top at all. Great job Martin!

It was, is, and always will be GREEN

Comment

Hey Martin, if you read this (considering the title of the thread I'm sure you'd be at least curious) we all really appreciate your writing and hope you have many more great episode scripts to come. I personaly love the way you wrote McKay in the Storm/Eye, Brotherhood, Duet, and Childhood's End.

5th Season of Supernatural Premiering September 10th!
        Spoiler:

Comment

Originally posted by Shipperahoy
          I have to agree that Martin certainly hit it out of the park with Duet. It's definately my all-time favorite Atlantis episode thus far. I have to admit that I had worried that it would be too farcical (Blake Edwards night at Atlantis if you know what I mean) but it wasn't over the top at all. Great job Martin!
          I agree - before I watched it I was wondering whether this would be an episode of stargate or some romcom series - I was very impressed though Kudos to MG
          gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
          so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
          love Torri

Comment

I liked Childhood's End. It wasn't as good as it could have been, but I'm willing to blame that on... outside influences.

The stuff between McKay and the kids was priceless. To heck with women, McKay doesn't understand people! Especially tiny little people who are prone to crying when yelled at. I made some avs of those kids. I should dredge up my Atlantis avs section again.

Found 'em: http://shadowmaat.250free.com/atlavs.html

Hmm... I need a better pic of Console Guy. And someone needs to give him a real name, dammit.

I COULD av Martin, technically, but I think I'll steer clear of that unless he actually appears in an ep like Joe and PDL and the others did. Some lines are best not crossed.

And I hope if/when he DOES appear someone will tell me, 'cause I absolutely suck at remembering faces. If I can't recognize BRUCE WILLIS when he's talking to me, I ain't gonna recognize anyone!

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
              I liked Childhood's End. It wasn't as good as it could have been, but I'm willing to blame that on... outside influences.

The stuff between McKay and the kids was priceless. To heck with women, McKay doesn't understand people! Especially tiny little people who are prone to crying when yelled at. I made some avs of those kids. I should dredge up my Atlantis avs section again.
              Oh yeah, I liked it too...it's just that the other eps are quite high calibre. It wasn't the writing that bothered me about the ep.

McKay and the kids are still one of my all time fav Rodney moments

If I can't recognize BRUCE WILLIS when he's talking to me, I ain't gonna recognize anyone!

You met Bruce Willis??

And didn't know it was Bruce Willis??

I can only assume this would not happen if, say, you met a *real* star like Lemon Chicken/Food Server guy.

Comment

Originally posted by SaharaGate
                I can only assume this would not happen if, say, you met a *real* star like Lemon Chicken/Food Server guy.
                That would be an absolute tragedy!

I might stand a better chance of recognizing Martin, actually, assuming I'm looking around enough to spot him in an ep, and in person I sincerely hope I WOULD know him, considering he was sitting next to me for a while at the GW party AND he was our tour guide on the set.

I also seem to do better with recognizing behind the scenes people. Which makes absolutely no sense. Guess it's just another one of my charming little quirks.

Comment

Hello! This is my first time here on the stargate forum and am learning alot!

I was a fan of stargate atlantis last season...not diehard but more than casual follower - just enough that i occasionaly would tape an episode if i'd be missing it. i saw maybe 3/5 of the episodes.

that is until i saw duet and now I'm all aboard! that was a great episode of television, sci-fi or drama or comedy or anything and everything. David Hewlitt was amazing and the writing! Mr. Gero is excellent. I've only seen Childhoods End (not bad) and The Storm and The Eye were both amazing i thought. I can't wait to go back and watch his others and watch the whole first season more closely. I'm now truly a diehard atlantis fan as well as a martin gero fan and can't wait for his next one!

sorry if this has already been answered (I'm new remember!) but when is his next one (Lost Boys somebody said?) and what is it about? does anyone know?

Glad to know im not the only Duet Fan!

Comment

It is episode no.10 see http://www.gateworld.net/atlantis/s2/210.shtml for more info
                    gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
                    so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
                    love Torri

Comment

Y'know, I gotta say, as much as I love Martin and trust his ability to write damn good stories, I'm a bit worried about his stint on SG-1. Nothing against him, of course, but SG-1 is such a... a... *swallows insult* I'll be polite and say that it isn't to my taste anymore. I just hope he's allowed to fully flex those creative muscles of his and that he doesn't get smothered in absurdity and tautology. Sometimes good writers can get their best stuff mangled by... outside forces.

At least Will Waring looks to be like a good director. Prophecy and Changeling are two of my all-time favorite eps. Meridian was pretty good, too. All things considered.

EDIT: Martin's next ep is the SG-1 ep TPTB, airing this Friday on SCIFI. The fact that he's written it is just about the only thing (outside of Ba'al) that could get me to watch SG-1 this season.

Comment

Has Martin been in here yet?
                        love Torri

Comment

Well I figured I'd join the party over here in praising the guy who has fast become my favorite writer of the Stargate universe. He not only knows how to write McKay, he knows how to write Sheppard and Weir! Yes, I am *gasp* a shipper. He also gives us exciting plots that keep me glued to my seat! My top five for the Atlantis series are--

5. Letters from Pegasus--My heart goes out to poor Sheppard who has no one at home to send a message to and Weir's messages to families of those lost just break my heart.

4. Before I Sleep--Nice plot, lovely character interaction. What more can I say?

3. Storm/Eye--I love so many things about this ep, not sure where to begin. I love the bits of Weir and McKay as captives--wonderful bit of writing there--though my favorite part is the bit at the end where Shep has to shoot Kolya out from behind Weir. Beautiful ep, lots of wonderful character interaction.

2. Duet--What's not to love? We get to see DH show off his tremendous talent with a ton of dialogue for not one but TWO characters. Lots of cute moments for everyone else and I'm loving this Ronan/Teyla dynamic. Good development for Ronan too!

1. The Seige (all three parts)--Again, what's not to love? Great characters doing heroic deeds in a last ditch attempt to save their city from a menacing enemy, not to mention the afforementioned shippiness between Sheppard and Weir (which I am LOVING btw). Can't say there's anything I DON'T like about this ep.

So, of my top five, MG wrote three and Carl Binder wrote the other two. I guess that about sums it up then

In that spirit, Shadow said I should post this here. It's a video tribute to The Seige (all three parts) and I dedicated to MG. Gen, rated for all audiences. Hope you enjoy!

http://www.marimba26.com/AtlantisVideos.html

The music is "Nara" by E.S. Posthumus, Enjoy!
                          Marimba FBI - Video Surveillance Division
                          Lemming #25 Frothing Fan Lemming

Vids by Marimba, Tamefarrar and Ruralstar!
                          Big hugs to Ruralstar for the banner!

Comment

Originally posted by Steve_the_Wraith
                            Don't forget "Grace Under Pressure"!

David Hewlett, Amanda Tapping and Martin Gero, oh my! Can't wait
                            Seriously?! Martin is going to write 'Grace Under Pressure'? Thats excellent! What I've heard about it is that
                            Spoiler:
                            its going to be McKay's 'Grace' and considering how well Martin writes him I'm now looking forward to it more then ever.

Originally posted by qasimjavid
                            Has Martin been in here yet?
                            Yep. Saw him in here a couple days ago.
                            Last edited by GatetheWay; 09 August 2005, 12:02 AM.

5th Season of Supernatural Premiering September 10th!
                            Spoiler:

Comment

Originally posted by marimba26
                              In that spirit, Shadow said I should post this here. It's a video tribute to The Seige (all three parts) and I dedicated to MG. Gen, rated for all audiences. Hope you enjoy!

http://www.marimba26.com/AtlantisVideos.html

The music is "Nara" by E.S. Posthumus, Enjoy!
                              Let me say again how incredibly cool that vid is. I usually hate instrumental vids, but that one works well and I think you used it to advantage.

I wish I had talents in that direction, but I guess I'll just have to settle for being a good writer.

Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                                Let me say again how incredibly cool that vid is. I usually hate instrumental vids, but that one works well and I think you used it to advantage.
                                Thanks! It was really difficult to squeeze all three episodes into five minutes. There are so many great scenes there it was hard to choose. Thanks again to Martin for making it such a pleasure to watch.

I wish I had talents in that direction, but I guess I'll just have to settle for being a good writer.
                                LOL, well, you stick with the writing and I'll stick with the vidding!
                                Marimba FBI - Video Surveillance Division
                                Lemming #25 Frothing Fan Lemming

Vids by Marimba, Tamefarrar and Ruralstar!
                                Big hugs to Ruralstar for the banner!

Comment

Working...
                                X