Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

Default Martin Gero Appreciation Thread (spoilers for everything)

OK, OK, I know Martin isn't technically a character, per se, but he IS a character, if ya know what I mean.

This thread is for discussion of Stargate writer Martin Gero. He's a brilliant writer, a nice guy, and cute to boot. I've liked his stuff since before I knew who he was and now, with Duet, well... that seals the deal. He's the best thing to happen to Atlantis since McKay. And since one of his strengths is writing good McKay stuff, well, I'm a damn happy camper.

See that guys? I CAN be happy! I CAN express positive emotions! I CAN say good things about Stargate! ...Even if it's mostly Atlantis-based. hehe. I'll have to find out which eps of SG-1 he's writing because I might actually have to suspend my "No more SG-1 edict" just to see what he does.

Yes, folks, as far as I'm concerned, he's THAT good.

Duet. Favorite ep of Atlantis, EVER. Granted, that may change slightly as the initial rush of adrenaline wears off, but it'll still be in my top five.

THANK YOU, Martin Gero! *huggles*

Default Re: Martin Gero Appreciation Thread (spoilers for everything)

It's entirely possible that this is going to be my favorite ep ever, too. I love how he can get across the fact that these are a group of people who care about each other. They might drive each other crazy, but in the long run, they care. And that's what draws me into a show.

This episode made me very happy, which means Martin Gero made me very happy.

And McKay? Always makes me happy.

McKay is an awesome character and Martin is a genius when it comes to writing him.

I had the chance to meet Martin at the Gateworld dinner in April and I was impressed. He's very "average guy" in looks and attitude. If you didn't know better, you'd assume he was just another fan. Although I suppose, technically, he and the other PTB are the ultimate fans. lol

I really like his style of writing. As I said, he's great at blending humor and drama. I admit I was kinda worried about Duet, given the way McKay had been behaving in previous eps, but he was dead-on perfect and the rest of the cast was perfect, too.

Storm/Eye would also rank in my top five favorite eps. Much more serious and suspenseful stuff, there, and more plot-driven than Duet, IMO, which was mainly about the characters.

Can't wait for Conversion and especially Lost Boys. More Ford! Yay!

Don't know as I'm shrill and ill-informed

"Duet" was a wonderful episode. Humor, seriousness, Wraith story arc, more Ronon info. .Hewlett's incredible acting (best I've seen in a TV episode in a long time), and a bit "thumbs up" for Martin Gero for writing it. This episode is going to be one of the all time classics in Stargate fandom.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y65/joesmom1/Kitty.bmp

When all else fails, change channels.

Quote Originally Posted by FoolishPleasure
    This episode is going to be one of the all time classics in Stargate fandom.
    Most Gero eps are.

Did I mention how incredibly awesome I think Martin is?

you might just have...... *digs around for piccie of Shadow with Martin*

Chief Master Sergeant PsychoPenguin's Avatar

Gah, I wish I hadn't already posted in the ep thread. I feel like I have nothing left to say, and I *definitely* want to contribute to this thread. I think I'll have to be happy with saying it was "The Storm/The Eye" that sucked me into "Atlantis" and it's "Duet" that's given me hope that good things are still on the horizon as far as this show is concerned.

Or in my best Buffy "Fire, bad, tree, pretty" speak: "RCC, bad, MG, pretty."

And if you're wondering, the only reason I'm not watching "Duet" again right now is because I know I'm taping it. *This* one is *definitely* getting stowed away in the personal collection.
    "Just smile and wave, boys...Just smile and wave."

The hype has worn off, but I'm still thinking that- for now, at least- Duet is my favorite ep.

I'm also glad to know that I was right to pick Martin as my favorite writer.

Lieutenant Colonel

Chevron Re: Martin Gero Appreciation Thread (spoilers for everything)

Quote Originally Posted by FoolishPleasure
    "Duet" was a wonderful episode. Humor, seriousness, Wraith story arc, more Ronon info. Hewlett's incredible acting (best I've seen in a TV episode in a long time), and a bit "thumbs up" for Martin Gero for writing it. This episode is going to be one of the all time classics in Stargate fandom.
    Once again, I have to agree. I was blown away by DH's acting on the last night's episode, Duet. He was effortless in his transitions from Rodney to the Lt. Caldor and there was just the right amount of pathos mixed in with humor.

Great writing, combined with great acting (from everyone), with short moments to give us more insight into the new character of Ronon and Dr. Weir's misgivings, make this a terrific episode, in my opinion, the best so far.

If the caliber of writing and acting continues on this level, I too have renewed hope for the series.

Big thumbs up for Martin Gero, for writing, Mr. Waring for direction and of course, for David Hewlett, for GREAT acting!
    Last edited by Lida; August 6th, 2005 at 06:57 AM.
    On fighting:
    Farrah: "A swordsman does not fear death, if he dies with honor."
    Dr. Who: "Then he's an idiot."

How could I not add to this thread? I think The Storm/Eye was pretty much what me got hooked on SGA, since I saw Home first (liked it well enough) and then my second episode was The Storm and after that I just had to watch it all from the beginning because that cliffhanger... oooh, it made me hanker for more of the same drama (with a little humour too of course, McKay snark is fun whatever the situation).

Plus LFP... oh that's definitely in my top 5. I nearly died of laughter from McKay there, and I was in tears both from the touching parts and from the humour! I haven't seen Duet yet and I hate to think what'll happen when I do because it sounds even better for McKay parts but hey, at least I'd die happy.

And he has to get praise for the Q&A thread even if its closed down right now. So many mysteries he cleared up in the short time it was open. He was really sweet to humour the fans and to take time out to answer stuff.

Hallowed is MG.
    Last edited by Purpleyin; August 6th, 2005 at 07:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Purpleyin
    And he has to get praise for the Q&A thread even if its closed down right now. So many mysteries he cleared up in the short time it was open. He was really sweet to humour the fans and to take time out to answer stuff.
    Amen. I liked his "asked and answered" thing- not only did it show people that he wasn't ignoring them for no reason, but it showed them how utterly redundant some of the questions were getting.

So, Martin, what's with the shirts??

Nice to know the humor he puts in his scripts isn't fictional, it stems from a real source.

EDIT:

Okay, I'm trying to compile my top five list. Let's see...

5. Letters from Pegasus- Great character piece. Terrific McKay stuff, as usual, but nice vignettes on the other characters, as well. The only downside is that it made me absolutely loathe Teyla.

4. Runner- ignoring McKay's girly scream, there was a lot of good stuff in this ep, particularly with SuperFord and McKay. And Ronon. And Lorne, of course.

3. Before I Sleep- Nice use of time travel, interesting insights into Weir and an unfortunate glimpse at the Ancients, who are far too like us for my comfort.

2. Storm/Eye- Awesome stuff! Drama, tension, humor, and lots and LOTS of water! Great action, great visuals, but also some wonderful character insights. Typical Gero Gold.

1. Duet- By the gods, I love this ep! Funny, snarky stuff with McKay, and yet there's an undercurrent of real drama threading through it which comes to a head near the end. LOVE it!
    Last edited by ShadowMaat; August 6th, 2005 at 07:29 PM.

Martin Gero might be the only Stargate writer who can write women without turning them into extremes...

Oh... and Carl Binder as well... (Thanks for the reminder Gatetheway)

And that coming from me is saying A LOT...
    Last edited by Easter Lily; August 7th, 2005 at 01:53 AM.

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowMaat
    <snip>

Okay, I'm trying to compile my top five list. Let's see...

5. Letters from Pegasus- Great character piece. Terrific McKay stuff, as usual, but nice vignettes on the other characters, as well. The only downside is that it made me absolutely loathe Teyla.

4. Runner- ignoring McKay's girly scream, there was a lot of good stuff in this ep, particularly with SuperFord and McKay. And Ronon. And Lorne, of course.

3. Before I Sleep- Nice use of time travel, interesting insights into Weir and an unfortunate glimpse at the Ancients, who are far too like us for my comfort.

2. Storm/Eye- Awesome stuff! Drama, tension, humor, and lots and LOTS of water! Great action, great visuals, but also some wonderful character insights. Typical Gero Gold.

1. Duet- By the gods, I love this ep! Funny, snarky stuff with McKay, and yet there's an undercurrent of real drama threading through it which comes to a head near the end. LOVE it!
    Wait, wait...
    Are these the episodes that you liked over all of Atlantis so far or the ones MG wrote that you like? MG didn't write LfP, BIS or Runner. LfP and BIS were written by Carl Binder who I also think has done a great job for Atlantis.

The epsodes that MG has written so far are...
    Childhood's End
    The Storm
    The Eye
    The Brotherhood
    The Gift
    The Siege, Part 1
    The Siege, Part 3
    Duet
    Conversion
    The Lost Boys

And for SG-1: The Powers That Be (it's next week )
    http://forum.gateworld.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3967&dateline=1196580684
Your Current Signature Picture

5th Season of Supernatural Premiering September 10th!

Thought I'd join in in the Gero praise.
    I love his episodes. His and Carl Binder's episodes are the reason I love the show

Quote Originally Posted by GatetheWay
    Childhood's End
    The Storm
    The Eye
    The Brotherhood
    The Gift
    The Siege, Part 1
    The Siege, Part 3
    Duet
    Conversion
    The Lost Boys
    Don't forget "Grace Under Pressure"!

David Hewlett, Amanda Tapping and Martin Gero, oh my! Can't wait
    http://img92.imageshack.us/img92/3609/atlantis2os2.jpg

Wait, wait...
    Are these the episodes that you liked over all of Atlantis so far or the ones MG wrote that you like? MG didn't write LfP, BIS or Runner. LfP and BIS were written by Carl Binder who I also think has done a great job for Atlantis.
    No, it's my all-around top five. I could do an all-Gero one, but I figure a mixed list puts it in better perspective. The fact that three of my top five are his without bias seems to be a pretty clear statement of something. And then add that my other two are from Carl, well...

Let's just say that in addition to them both being great writers, I find it interesting that they're also two of the NEWEST writers. There's a hint for ya, PTB.

First Lieutenant

Yep, add me to the list of MG fan girls

Although we all know the SG/A writers hammer out much of the stories together, Martin's episodes do stand out.

So either he's just just got a very, very lucky hand when the stories get passed around...or he's just a fantastic writer.

A little of both maybe?

Childhood's End
    The Storm
    The Eye
    The Brotherhood
    The Gift
    The Siege, Part 1
    The Siege, Part 3
    Duet
    Conversion
    The Lost Boys

And for SG-1: The Powers That Be (it's next week )
    Here's my MG list (of those that have aired):

7. The Siege, Part 3 (liked it lots and lots but didn't love it due to Clown!Mckay)
    6. Childhood's End (great concept, great character stuff for so early on, but shot kinda weird)
    5. The Storm/The Eye (the eps that, imo, marked the beginning of what the show was supposed to be/ was capable of becoming)
    4. The Siege, Part 1 (So sad! Set up great tension)
    3. The Brotherhood (treasure hunt and McShep interaction...nuff said)
    2. The Gift (completely turned around my opinion of Teyla)
    1. Duet (Mckay. And...Mckay. Oh, and Shep and Mckay. And Mckay and Zelenka and Mckay and Beckett. And McKay...nekkid!)
    Last edited by SaharaGate; August 7th, 2005 at 06:06 AM.

Intergalactic Hussy
    (Moderator)
    I don't know but the view sure looks nice

I have to agree that Martin certainly hit it out of the park with Duet. It's definately my all-time favorite Atlantis episode thus far. I have to admit that I had worried that it would be too farcical (Blake Edwards night at Atlantis if you know what I mean) but it wasn't over the top at all. Great job Martin!

It was, is, and always will be GREEN

Hey Martin, if you read this (considering the title of the thread I'm sure you'd be at least curious) we all really appreciate your writing and hope you have many more great episode scripts to come. I personaly love the way you wrote McKay in the Storm/Eye, Brotherhood, Duet, and Childhood's End.
    http://forum.gateworld.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3967&dateline=1196580684
Your Current Signature Picture

5th Season of Supernatural Premiering September 10th!

Quote Originally Posted by Shipperahoy
    I have to agree that Martin certainly hit it out of the park with Duet. It's definately my all-time favorite Atlantis episode thus far. I have to admit that I had worried that it would be too farcical (Blake Edwards night at Atlantis if you know what I mean) but it wasn't over the top at all. Great job Martin!
    I agree - before I watched it I was wondering whether this would be an episode of stargate or some romcom series - I was very impressed though Kudos to MG
    gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have. so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
    love Torri

I liked Childhood's End. It wasn't as good as it could have been, but I'm willing to blame that on... outside influences.

The stuff between McKay and the kids was priceless. To heck with women, McKay doesn't understand people! Especially tiny little people who are prone to crying when yelled at. I made some avs of those kids. I should dredge up my Atlantis avs section again.

Found 'em: http://shadowmaat.250free.com/atlavs.html

Hmm... I need a better pic of Console Guy. And someone needs to give him a real name, dammit.

I COULD av Martin, technically, but I think I'll steer clear of that unless he actually appears in an ep like Joe and PDL and the others did. Some lines are best not crossed.

And I hope if/when he DOES appear someone will tell me, 'cause I absolutely suck at remembering faces. If I can't recognize BRUCE WILLIS when he's talking to me, I ain't gonna recognize anyone!