Rodney McKay/John Sheppard Friendship Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rodney McKay/John Sheppard Friendship Thread

Ok so on the Rodney discussion thread and the Shep discussion thread there often seems to be *shock horror* discussion about their interaction with each other.

Since this dynamic is my personal favourite on the show, I thought it warranted a thread unto itself .

I realise there is already a Shep/Mckay ship thread, but this thread is not intended to be ship (or slash), just a place to discuss their interactions and the evolution of their friendship.

Though, of course, that discussion can definitely include ship and slash.

Ok, so to get the ball rolling, I move a motion that Shep and Rodney are much more alike than either of them would ever likely admit.

I mean there is the whole mensa, smart maths thing, their geeky glee at all shiny new technology (so long as it goes really fast and has potentially cool weapons) and their stunning inability to admit their own shortcomings or *gasp* that they may in fact be wrong (note Shep in Hot Zone and McKay...well McKay in every episode).

So. What do YOU think?

I really like the whole Sheppard/McKay dynamic. Their bickering with each other makes me laugh. The way they'll get sidetracked from things just to snipe at each other (Before I Sleep)...

I haven't watched the episodes enough to get past the sheer delight in their interaction, and instead concentrate on the social dynamics, but the whole friendship thing between McKay and Sheppard is a major part of what makes this show so enjoyable for me.

Of course, I'm very new to being a fan, so perhaps this discussion has been done several times before, but I'm still interested to see what other people have to say.
    "Never offend people with style when you can offend them with substance." --Sam Brown

Comment

Originally posted by Girl Clone
      I really like the whole Sheppard/McKay dynamic. Their bickering with each other makes me laugh. The way they'll get sidetracked from things just to snipe at each other (Before I Sleep)...
      Yes and in Brotherhood...
      Spoiler:
      'Give me the gun I'll shoot him myself!' and the way McKay can still focus on the most inconsequential details (the Mensa thing) even in the face of certain death heh

I haven't watched the episodes enough to get past the sheer delight in their interaction, and instead concentrate on the social dynamics, but the whole friendship thing between McKay and Sheppard is a major part of what makes this show so enjoyable for me.
      I've watched and re-watched them all and I'm *still* not past it
      Of course, I'm very new to being a fan, so perhaps this discussion has been done several times before, but I'm still interested to see what other people have to say.
      Well strangely enough, it seems to me this discussion has only been done in a disjointed sort of way, not in the one place, even though lots of people seem to love their interaction.
      And if you're still fairly new to the fandom then welcome I think these boys are a wonderful place to start an obsession heh

Comment

Whoohoo... my favourite Stargate twosome...

Yes... this is the best Stargate dynamic IMVHO... together they are magic... but I do beg to differ, SaharaGate, about why the banter between the two are fantastic... I don't think it is because they are similar BUT it is because they have opposite personalities... And because they are opposites, they are a wonderful foil for one another. Shep always feels like he has something to hide but Rodney has a serious case of verbal diarrhoea... put them together and there's sparks and bickering... = chemistry... a great formula
        However, I can see where there might some similarity... because when those two men get together, it seems like they're a couple of kids dancing around the playground calling each other names, going "neener, neneer"...

Therein lies one problem I had with Sanctuary... TPTB made them hostile towards each other... it was all wrong. Hostility is so un-Rodney like...
        sigpic
        "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

I hate to bring this up, BUT, as Rodney has a "thing for dumb blondes", I don't think Elizabeth Weir fits the bill. I love their verbal interaction, but I seriously doubt any social relaionship is in their futures, at least, not with each other. But that's just my opinion......
          On fighting:
          Farrah: "A swordsman does not fear death, if he dies with honor."
          Dr. Who: "Then he's an idiot."

Comment

I agree, I love the Sheppard-McKay dynamic! I think their interaction is one of the main reasons I love the show! I love the banter, the love-hate relationship, and I think that since RDA is leaving next season and I therefore won't have my Jack-Daniel banter, Rodney-John banter is just as good!

Sheppard: Why does it smell like I'm on vacation?
            McKay: (proudly) Could it be the simulated tropical aroma of cocoa butter?
            Sheppard: Strong enough for anyone within five miles to smell you.
            McKay: Right, like they haven't been tipped off by the Aqua Velva?

Comment

Originally posted by Porthos1013
              ...I therefore won't have my Jack-Daniel banter, Rodney-John banter is just as good!
              I haven't seen any SG1 episodes, but perhaps I'll have to give them a go if there's good banter

I just watched Hide And Seek again and that whole
              Spoiler:
              "I shot him."
              interaction with McKay and Sheppard (and Weir) just made me giggle like a 12 year old girl.

I am hoping TPTB keep away from the whole romance angle on this show (barring babe/boy of the week types) for the lead characters and just develop the working relationship and friendship dynamics. Especially that of McKay and Sheppard. They're just far funnier and cuter together than they are apart.

Also - did I use the spoiler tags correctly up there? And were they necessary or could I have gotten away without them?
              "Never offend people with style when you can offend them with substance." --Sam Brown

Comment

From the bits that I've read, I think we'll be seeing a lot more the Rodney/Sheppard banter in Season 2... Joe Flanigan has mentioned in recent interviews about doing the Hope/Crosby thing. In my mind they've already started on that road (no pun intended) in Season 1. My favourite Rodney/Sheppard moment is the opening sequence of The Defiant One... Admittedly it isn't one of my favourite episodes but the entire exchange in that sequence cracks me up everytime. I think it highlights the dynamic of their relationship so well. Sometimes it's like a parent-child scenario and at other times it's a bit of sibling rivalry. Stargate does the male to male banter dynamic so well.
                sigpic
                "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

Originally posted by Easter Lily
                  From the bits that I've read, I think we'll be seeing a lot more the Rodney/Sheppard banter in Season 2...
                  I'll keep my fingers crossed that you are right. Which will make it difficult to type, but still...

My favourite Rodney/Sheppard moment is the opening sequence of The Defiant One... Admittedly it isn't one of my favourite episodes but the entire exchange in that sequence cracks me up everytime.
                  I love that scene. I rewound and watched it at least 4 times before going on to the rest of the episode.

I can't be the only one who did that, surely?

Comment

Whoohoo... my favourite Stargate twosome...

Yes... this is the best Stargate dynamic IMVHO... together they are magic... but I do beg to differ, SaharaGate, about why the banter between the two are fantastic... I don't think it is because they are similar BUT it is because they have opposite personalities... And because they are opposites, they are a wonderful foil for one another. Shep always feels like he has something to hide but Rodney has a serious case of verbal diarrhoea... put them together and there's sparks and bickering... = chemistry... a great formula
                    However, I can see where there might some similarity... because when those two men get together, it seems like they're a couple of kids dancing around the playground calling each other names, going "neener, neneer"...
                    Hmm yes there is that whole opposites attract thing....but that's the thing. They THINK they are opposites, but in actual fact they share quite a lot of similarities (I'd go into more detail but it's close to 2am lol). And THAT'S why they find each other so annoying heh...nobody is more annoying than somebody just like you heh.

I mean they're not identical, by any means, but I do think they share some of the same character flaws, some of the same drives, shortcomings and strengths...they just manifest themselves in very different ways.

Therein lies one problem I had with Sanctuary... TPTB made them hostile towards each other... it was all wrong. Hostility is so un-Rodney like...
                    See now I loved their face-off in Sanctuary because it complicated their relationship for me - nothing worse than one-dimensional characters in a one-dimensional relationship. But these guys are multi dimensional...and they don't always get along.

That's something that Atlantis does well in general...the characters make mistakes, they change their minds, act 'out of character', because they are in situations that are so unusual, so challenging emotionally/physicall/mentally that there are going to be a variety of reactions...and not always consistent ones either.

The fact that Rodney over-reacted so much to Sheppard's relationship with Chaya and that Sheppard got so very defensive about his personal life (and showed signs of being uncomfortable talking about it wiht anyone...even Teyla) really adds depth to their interactions. It's like there's something else going on there...it's more than them pushing each other's buttons or getting on each other's nerves. There was real anger there and, imho, Rodney looked pretty hurt by it in that final shot - though whether he was hurt/disappointed with himself or Shep is a matter of opinion.

Comment

I haven't seen any SG1 episodes, but perhaps I'll have to give them a go if there's good banter
                      Oh yes, the banter is exquisite.

Where do you think TPTB learned everything they apply to Atlantis?

SNIP

I am hoping TPTB keep away from the whole romance angle on this show (barring babe/boy of the week types) for the lead characters and just develop the working relationship and friendship dynamics. Especially that of McKay and Sheppard. They're just far funnier and cuter together than they are apart.
                      So agree with you there...I hope they stay away from the OTP's and ship in general. The fans are more than capable of filling in the blanks, reading between teh lines...and creating whole new ones heh.

But I don't really go for the 'cute alien priestess of the week' scenario either. It usually makes for very one-dimensional, boring one-off characters. It takes away from their role in the story, their only function becoming that of making X Character look more attractive/desirable.

Sure they can be great foils (like Vala in SG), but in the case of Rodney and Shep...they have each other to gripe at.

There's enough banter there for 10 seasons...

Also - did I use the spoiler tags correctly up there? And were they necessary or could I have gotten away without them?
                      Indeed you did, and yes you probably could have got away without them because it is an early episode, but it never hurts to be cautious (and some forum members haven't seen much of Atlantis yet). And since this is a character thread, not a spoiler thread or a thread discussing certain episodes, it's not a bad thing to give people the extra warning if you want to.

And woo! My 500th post!
                      Last edited by SaharaGate; 30 April 2005, 07:57 AM. Reason: Wooo! 500th post!

Comment

My thanks to whoever red dinged me for going off the thread. It was an honest mistake on my part. I posted late and was tired. I hope someone does the same to you someday. I was just a few points away from my next level. I NEVER red ding for little things, but I do give out lots of green, esp to newbies (which I still am) and to great posts.

Thank you again, next time have the guts to sign your ding! I won't post here again, thanks to you. I wouldn't want to break the thread. Horrors!

On fighting:

Comment

I love that scene. I rewound and watched it at least 4 times before going on to the rest of the episode.

I can't be the only one who did that, surely?
                          Nope, you most certainly weren't the only one

Great, great scene. So funny and so very classic Shep-Mckay.

Comment

Originally posted by Lida
                            I won't post here again, thanks to you. I wouldn't want to break the thread. Horrors!

C'mon now, McKay and Shep would want you to stay.

You know how much they love the attention.

Comment

Originally posted by SaharaGate
                              C'mon now, McKay and Shep would want you to stay.

You know how much they love the attention.
                              I adore McKay/Hewlett and Sheppard/Flanigan, but I can't risk mis-posting if a coward on this thread takes this so seriously. Thanks for caring.
                              On fighting:

Comment

Working...
                              X