New Ground (319)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pic View Post
    And I'm convinced that Teal'c has a thing for Janet as he's spent an awful lot of time in the infirmary this season.
    What doesn't have a thing for Janet? Honestly I would get sick just to see her.
    sigpic
    In Islamofascist Afghanistan, pain experiences you!
    "The faster you finish the fight, the less shot you will get." ~ AFSOC MOUT Instructor

Comment

Originally posted by Pic View Post
      I liked that Daniel gets an assistant!
      It's a pity that we will never see this assistant again! He just vanished into thin air!

Spoiler:
      He should have taken up a more centre role in season 6 when Daniel was ascended.
      sigpic
      Sign by me

Comment

Not a bad episode, great acting for Teal'c. Too bad they never revisited the planet, or even let us know what happened to Nyan.
        sigpic

Comment

A pretty interesting episode overall. Yeah, Rygar was a jerk. but it is kind of interesting to see characters like him who simply can not be reasoned with and who refuse flat out to believe anything. I really found his female officer very interesting. She was pretty tough and unfeeling, but she did seem to be more open to alternate ideas and she eventually seemed less than thrilled with his methods. I liked that. I loved Nyan's character. He was nice and quickly-adaptable to the craziness he was faced with.

Oy, the torture. It was dark and mean. I think it feels even more disturbing when it is humans who are doing the torturing than when the Goa'uld are doing it.
          Enjoying the Stargate Re-Watch Event: "This should not get old, General!"

Noxbait's Fan Fiction

Comment

Loved Daniel Jackson in this one, but otherwise it was a bit annoying. I just wanted to strangle Rygar most of the time. Nyan was the only decent one of the lot.
            sigpic

Comment

The only thing that really kept me glued to this episode, was seeing Teal'c's vulnerable side having been blinded by his own weapon when he stuck that soldier.

Rygar was a jerk. But it was interesting to see how this character played out because he was very unreasoning with his beliefs and didn't want to take on aboard a whole set of other beliefs that conflicted with his own. Really hated how he treated Dan and Sam. (I could care less about Jack, most of the time his one off remarks ends up getting him into trouble on his own accord)

The female officer was interesting, she was clearly not as stubborn as her superior was, she was trying to see a different side and maybe try and see that this may not be what he thought it was (and she was right in the end.) She has more brains to listen around her then he was willing too.
              sigpic

Comment

A good but frustrating episode. The Belosians are really annoying in their stubborness and generally aggressive demeanor, and even though it's completely understandable - especially given that they are dealing with the military - it gets tiring quickly. I like the weapons they used, and the electric cages are very cool (and really represent a classic SG-1 image to me).

Also, the fact that Nyan is kept on (not just at the SGC but as Daniel's research assistant) and is then never seen or even mentioned again is very annoying. Stargate is usually pretty good at continuity, but they don't even try here. Unless they intended to bring the character back, then why end the episode like that? There was a ton of different things they could have done with Nyan which wouldn't have required us to ever see him again, but it sets up expectations that are never fulfilled. Silly.

The show also hits a new level for special effects here. The bats in the cave are excellent, all the various weapon blasts during the big fight and notably the shuttle crash is great. It doesn't stand up by today's standard's at all, but in terms of what the show had done up to this point it's marks a new level.

- The tool being used to uncover the gate in the opening shot is shiny brand new!

- A bit of a coincidence that the SGC dial up the planet the very moment that it is uncovered. Carter's explanation of the cold-dialling program doesn't really make sense either. She says "we've got a hit" before the connection has even been made. Until the 7th chevron locks, you never know if the connection will be successful.

- First real use of the portable naquadah reactor in a standard off-world mission setting, and it makes it clear that it works in place of a DHD for manual dialing. Nice to have these things clarified. I wonder how many the SGC has, and did Carter build them all?

- When he first appeared, I thought the actor playing Riger was Bruce Campbell! This is the first time I noticed his character has a limp.

RATING: 7 out of 10
                Private guitar tuition | Return To Grace - rock/pop party band

Comment

I like the way the theme of discovery and mystery of the stargate is taken and seen from another civilisation's point of view. This episode has the off world equivalents of Daniel discovering their stargate. We see how their history is shaped by beliefs formed over time, right or wrong, by the stargate.

On seeing this again I couldn't help thinking that the alien commander who stubbornly maintained his beliefs, despite being faced with evidence to the contrary reminded me of Earth's Colonel Samuels! Both thought it better to forget that the gate was ever found!

Teal'c being rendered helpless was interesting to watch. It must have been hard for him to accept help, especially as the stoic strong warrior that he is.

Shame we never saw Nyan again, would have been interesting to see how he adapted to life on Earth, and actually seeing him on occasion being Daniel's assistant when we see Daniel burning the midnight oil over his books!

Comment

I also find it a shame we never went back to that planet to see how things had progressed..

Comment

Pretty good ep. The Belosian weapons remind me of the updated Wraith stunners.

Felt bad for Teal'c. I also liked Nyan.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lieutenant Sparrow View Post
                        Pretty good ep. The Belosian weapons remind me of the updated Wraith stunners.

Felt bad for Teal'c. I also liked Nyan.
                        The shuttles they used were very similar to the Wraith ships in that they could beam up people too! Do you think they used these ideas when they wrote Atlantis?
                        Calculus and Alcohol don't mix. Never drink and derive.

Comment

The shuttles couldn't beam people
                          Originally posted by aretood2
                          Jelgate is right

Comment

Some thoughts:
                            • The Bedrosians are yet another people who have great tech that we can't have.
                            • Is the Bedrosian lieutenant played by the same actress who plays the foreman in the episode where SG-1 is working in mines below a city on an ice planet?
                            • Daniel gives Nyan a job as a research assistant, yet we never see Nyan again.

Comment

Originally posted by Brother Freyr View Post
                              Some thoughts:
                              • The Bedrosians are yet another people who have great tech that we can't have.
                              • Is the Bedrosian lieutenant played by the same actress who plays the foreman in the episode where SG-1 is working in mines below a city on an ice planet?
                              • Daniel gives Nyan a job as a research assistant, yet we never see Nyan again.
                              I think at a Con once Michael Shanks said he reckoned one day Daniel sent Nyan to the Library and he never came back!...

Deeds xx
                              sigpic
                              Thanks to slizzie1986 for signature
                              MSOL - Official Website of Michael Shanks

Comment

^ That would explain it!

My LiveJournal post
                                "Thanks to denial, I'm immortal."
                                "A big 'Hello' to all intelligent life out there, and for everyone else, the secret is to bang the rocks together, guys!"
                                "Excuse me, barmaid? You seem to have brought me the wrong offspring. I ordered an extra large boy with beefy arms, extra guts and glory on the side. This here, this is a talking fishbone!"
                                "I'm Jack. It means... what's in the box?"

sigpic
                                >-- Czechs Rock! >--

Comment

Working...
                                X