Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Madeleine_W
    So what's the problem?
    She still could be considered "nice," only not as admirable as all the foregoing characterization has led me to believe. Her judgment lapse reveals a selfishness -- something I dislike intensely in fictional characters -- previously unexpected by me and, by then, there isn't enough time left in the episode to salvage the character. And, if her only excuse is she loves Jack, then she certainly does not love him enough to always place his happiness before her own.
    In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane. ~ Oscar Wilde

Comment

This is one of two episodes that I watched one time and walked away. I love Stargate all things Stargate but I so didn't like this one. That's it.

Comment

Originally posted by Liebestraume

{Laira's} judgment lapse reveals a selfishness... And, if her only excuse is she loves Jack, then she certainly does not love him enough to always place his happiness before her own.
        Yes, she was selfish, for a short time. She probably indulged herself for a ittle while with the idea that Jack would be happy with her, and that he didn't need to be wrenched away from his new life. Then she saw sense, and was completely selfless. She told Jack what had happened, even though she knew it would cause her pain if he left, and even though she knew that if she wanted to keep secret what she had done no one could ever know that she'd heard the radio.

And the whole point is that she *did* place his happiness before hers. She told the truth, what more could she have done? Okay, she could have come to the right decision sooner, but I think the fact that she did the right thing at a cost to herself and when there was nothing to loose and everything to gain by lying, far outweighs the fact that she didn't do all that straight away.

Madeleine

Comment

And the whole point is that she *did* place his happiness before hers.
          Sorta. Had Laira eventually placed her happiness before that of everyone else, she would not have been a good person at all. I think the whole point is that, if her "love" was pure and true, she should always place his happiness before hers. The selflessness of SG-1 -- their willingness to sacrifice without a second-thought for themselves -- seems so ubiquitous that it has become the golden standard. Given all the prior character build-up for Laira, it was ultimately disappointing to see her fail thusly.

... [Laira had] nothing to loose and everything to gain by lying, ...
          She did have something to lose, for the lie would eat at her even if no one else knew. She would always wonder if Jack stayed with her only because she took away his other options, and she would have to live with the fact that her (in)action kept some families apart. That's a pretty daunting prospect for any self-respecting woman. On the other hand, there was always the possibility that Jack would choose to stay or return. That hope, along with a clear conscience, is reward enough for telling the truth. Perhaps she was not totally selfless, merely sensible.

Comment

I suppose I haven't seen SG-1 themselves as quite that perfect - Jack nearly murdered someone in rage once but was stopped by a team member; another time he killed a man out of revenge. Jonas allowed the name of the man who saved his life to be blackened, until much later he recanted, not on his own initiative but after Jack had pushed him. Teal'c is a war criminal - Hammond's words.

On the whole though, when SG-1 act they act instantly. They're the heroes and for them to spend time weighing up options would be bad television. Laira has always lived a much slower sort of life, and would by nature give more lengthy consideration to a problem before deciding on a solution.

Madeleine

Comment

Sorta. Had Laira eventually placed her happiness before that of everyone else, she would not have been a good person at all. I think the whole point is that, if her "love" was pure and true, she should always place his happiness before hers. The selflessness of SG-1 -- their willingness to sacrifice without a second-thought for themselves -- seems so ubiquitous that it has become the golden standard. Given all the prior character build-up for Laira, it was ultimately disappointing to see her fail thusly.

That's the problem, IMO. SG-1 can appear to be so perfect... to me Laira is one of the few very real characters. She wrestled with her conscience for a while, and eventually came to the "right" conclusion. She couldn't know that Teal'c was risking her life - but then, having spent a lot of time with Jack she might have made a guess that they were taking a big risk (she's not stupid and she's not a spring chicken, she can work this stuff out for herself)

If she hadn't mentioned the radio, and Jack had stayed on Edora, then how would that have made her a bad person? The likelihood of them having children would have enhanced the very small gene pool. He is obviously a handy guy to have around (he didn't baulk at making his own nails to build a house) and we know that he is sensible and a good leader. That would have been good for her village, and Jack would have been able to live there.

She did have something to lose, for the lie would eat at her even if no one else knew. She would always wonder if Jack stayed with her only because she took away his other options, and she would have to live with the fact that her (in)action kept some families apart. That's a pretty daunting prospect for any self-respecting woman. On the other hand, there was always the possibility that Jack would choose to stay or return. That hope, along with a clear conscience, is reward enough for telling the truth. Perhaps she was not totally selfless, merely sensible.
              Well, yes. That is the morally right answer. But every day all over this planet (and others) people are making that type of decision every day. And keeping quiet. And their partner never ever finds out.

Her inaction would have kept those families apart - but she had no idea if any rescue would have been successful. The village had split in two - that was its best chance for the maximum number of them to survive. Those who went through the Stargate wouldn't have known that they might some day have been able to go back: in the moment when they went through survival at that time must have been uppermost in their minds, nothing else.

I don't actually like Laira that much, but I think she is demonised and held up to an unfair standard. On a scale of one to ten my marks for this ep would probably put it among my least liked Stargate eps, but not because of Laira.
              In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king

sigpic

Comment

I actually really enjoyed this episode. I kind of liked seeing Jack live the quiet life and I thought the moments between himself and Leira were really genuine and heartfelt. I've lived that kind of simple life before doing feildwork in a remote area for 6 months and it is kind of enlightening. It was interesting and refreshing to see Jack experience this (as opposed to the constant action) and I think he was even beginning to appreciate it (eg. the social scene) and accept the new life.

I can understand why some people didnt like it, but for me it was a nice change of pace and indicated the versatility of the show and the character of Jack.

Comment

Originally posted by Major Clanger
                  That's the problem, IMO. SG-1 can appear to be so perfect... to me Laira is one of the few very real characters.
                  I see what you mean. Each member of SG-1 may have his/her own flaws, but they all tend to be quite noble when it comes to self-sacrifice. And, honestly, I doubt anyone is saying Laira is a "bad person" -- if there has been any "demonizing," then I am blissfully unaware . My main point has been merely that the character had a great set-up but couldn't seem to hold up in the end.

If she hadn't mentioned the radio, and Jack had stayed on Edora, then how would that have made her a bad person? The likelihood of them having children would have enhanced the very small gene pool. He is obviously a handy guy to have around (he didn't baulk at making his own nails to build a house) and we know that he is sensible and a good leader. That would have been good for her village, and Jack would have been able to live there.
                  For starters, she would have accorded other people far less consideration than what she had bestowed upon herself. While asking for a child, she was not talking about the gene pool or any such "big picture." It was because her son would be leaving home soon, and she wanted to retain a family of her own. If the notion of home and hearth was so dear to her, why should it then be any less so to other Edorans in her estimate?

Granted it was the natural disaster that forced the relocation, and those Edorans might have to accept their condition as a permanent one. However, when an opportunity presented itself, the Edorans (and Jack) should have the right to make their own decisions as to where to stay (or how to enhance the gene pool ). She would be wrong to deprive them of that choice, no matter the reason.

Well, yes. That is the morally right answer. But every day all over this planet (and others) people are making that type of decision every day. And keeping quiet. And their partner never ever finds out.
                  IMHO, a realistic characterization does not make the character's behavior any more justifiable. Real life rights-and-wrongs notwithstanding, Laira is a fictional creation and hence subject to intellectual moralizing. In the end, I found the character lacking the degree of selflessness that all her earlier virtues had indicated. Perhaps it was a high standard to meet, but it has not always been impossible for the fictional "good guys."

Comment

That's true, all the 'enhancing the gene pool' and 'my (possible) baby needs a father' stuff wasn't reason enough for Laira to decide to keep Jack from the truth. It was enough to cloud and muddy her mind awhile though.

After being widowed and not finding a new life-partner for years (and in such a small community she must have resigned herself to never ever) she has now got one, and wow what a lovely feeling that must have been for her. She has dreams of wedded bliss and a new baby, and I know how heady that can be. Then the radio crackles and she can see her dream being torn apart. Her heart must have been wrenching itself within her chest, she stood to loose the dream she had been hoping for for nearly three months and had finally allowed herself to believe in. It's cruel fate.

No wonder that she delayed her action. The poor woman must have been quite numb. When you're in that much pain you don't think quite as coherently as normal, and the significance of things can be muddled. Her subconscious probably threw out all the reasons not to tell him - the gene pool argument, he's happy here why let him be uprooted again, I might have imagined it - and in her befuddled state it took her a while to straighten everthing out.

But she *did* straighten it out, and of her own accord. I still think she's selfless and lovely.

Madeleine

Comment

This is one of my favourite eposodes. I loved seeing a different side to Jack. I think a part of him was happy in the simpler life. His life on Earth, especially with the SGC never seems to be simple for long.
                      Liara finally found happiness again and, didn't want to lose it. It would be natural to hesitate before telling Jack about the radio message. The fact that she did, knowing that he might leave her shows character.
                      I think it shows a lot about Jack's character that he left a place he wanted to stay because he had prior commitments. If he had not made the promises about the Goul'd he did maybe he would have stayed and been happy with Laira. He gave up a lot when he left that plant.
                      IMHO sometimes Carter, Teal'c, and Daniel are possive of Jack. Teal'c and Carter do not like him out of thier sight sight at times. Daniel was the only one imho that understood how hard it was for him to leave. Daniel did give up everything on Earth to be with Share.
                      the fact that Laiara considered going with him just proved she loved him.
                      ABYDOSCITY2

Comment

After being widowed and not finding a new life-partner for years (and in such a small community she must have resigned herself to never ever) she has now got one, and wow what a lovely feeling that must have been for her. She has dreams of wedded bliss and a new baby, and I know how heady that can be.
                        Yes, you are absolutely right. This was the real reason for her holding back, and the rest were all peripheral at the best. Still don't like what she did , but I agree with you on the why.

I still think she's selfless and lovely.
                        It's all good, for I'd never even dream of persuading anyone to think otherwise. In response to your original question (i.e., "So what's the problem?") up thread, I offered my POV -- along with other posters' -- as well as provided the rationale. The crux of the issue has been crystallized, or so I hope, through the foregoing discussion, and it seems folks may have to agree to disagree on some stuff.

Comment

100 days was one of my favorit episodes. Its the one were O'nell gets stuck on the planet with all the naquadria on it. I noticed at the end when O'nell was leaving the planet that chick was holding her stomic. Did he have sex with her? They were talking about having children befor he left. I hope he didnt have a baby off world then ditch her. Did anyone eles see that or know the answer??

Comment

After being widowed and not finding a new life-partner for years (and in such a small community she must have resigned herself to never ever) she has now got one, and wow what a lovely feeling that must have been for her. She has dreams of wedded bliss and a new baby, and I know how heady that can be.
                            Yes, you are absolutely right. This was the real reason for her holding back, and the rest were all peripheral at the best. Still don't like what she did , but I agree with you on the why.
                            I agree. It's not exactly the most moral or ethical decision but I can understand why she did it - doesn't have to mean I like her.

Comment

Something to do with asteroids, right?

Comment

Can't believe the asteroid did destroy the gate.

Comment

Working...
                                X