Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 55 of 55
  1. #41
    Intergalactic Hussy
    (Moderator)
    Shipperahoy's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2004
    Location
    I don't know but the view sure looks nice
    Posts
    5,105

    Default Re: Who else is sick of negative threads.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dani347
    Whoo-hoo, baby! Everyone has a right to whatever opinion they want. But, that is not the same as everyone has a right to voice any opinion they want. I may have the right to have the opinion that Joe Stargate Actor is a worthless piece of crap, but do I have the right to voice that opinion? Not here I don't. I may have the right to have the opinion that Jane Stargate Fan is stupid and she should just shut up, but should I have the right to voice said opinion? Not here, I don't think.


    And, no one is talking about rescinding anyone's right to have an opinion Whether it's allowed to give said opinion is another matter entirely.
    What she said.

    It was, is, and always will be GREEN

  2. #42
    Lieutenant General prion's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Posts
    18,367

    Default Re: Who else is sick of negative threads.

    Quote Originally Posted by LORD MONK
    Over the past couple of months there has bean a LOT of negative threads. Like:
    BB should outrank Carter. (But know one knows who Mitchell is yet)
    Who misses Sam. (That is just mean)
    And a whole lot more.

    Am I the only one sick of reading about my favorite Scifi show getting ripped?

    Please list other threads. I will.
    I don't mind constructive criticism; when someone actually points out WHY they don't like something for a decent reason (instead of screaming DIE (fill in name DIE).

    Negative threads I don't like: people beating a dead horse because of some personal agenda (thinking to a current Weir thread, assassinating and I won't even get into the strange SG1 threads...) without having even an iota of logic to them.

    TPTB actually fanning the flames: In reading a recent entry on JM's blog, he talked about ("In fact, there is one board whose fans have been consistently negative about the show over the years who have found much to enjoy in season 9." )That's fine to mention, although everybody's got their own guess as to who he's talking about (I can see plenty of threads on GW where negativity is the norm) but it's just fanning the flames again of OLD flame wars. Gadzooks, what next? Resurrecting the infamous Blake's 7 wars?

    But, if fans sit there and mutter "I don't like this episode becuase honestly, Jack/Daniel/Sam/ etc would NOT be seen shooting jello shooters and getting falling down drunk as there's nothing in their backstory to indicate they're immature college lushes,' then that make sense.

    Most people don't mind reading critical posts when they make sense; they just don't like reading whining posts

  3. #43
    You call that a glowstick?
    (Moderator)
    Skydiver's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    54,865

    Default Re: Who else is sick of negative threads.

    The other side of the coin:

    It can be frustrating to read someone who hasn't watched the show for 3 years to constantly complain about it. On the other hand, it can be jsut as frustrating to delve into the episode thread and rea

    OMG, that was so great!!!!!1
    how fantastic!!!!!!
    squeee!!!!!!!!!1

    and other such one line posts that are not discussion about the show at all, just, what can be seen, as useless squeeing.

    now don't get me wrong. it's great that folks love it. however 'that was the best episode ever!!!!' is just as much of a useless post as 'that was the worst piece of drek in the world'

    both sides are more than entitled to thier opinion. however one line expressions of glee do just as little for a discussion as one line expressions of dislike

    if you think it's great, well why is it great? share with folks your favorite scene, best line, etc. post something that contributes to the discussion instead of just some flyby posting

  4. #44
    Captain Wyrminarrd's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Iceland
    Posts
    1,879

    Default Re: Who else is sick of negative threads.

    Quote Originally Posted by Skydiver
    The other side of the coin:

    It can be frustrating to read someone who hasn't watched the show for 3 years to constantly complain about it. On the other hand, it can be jsut as frustrating to delve into the episode thread and rea

    OMG, that was so great!!!!!1
    how fantastic!!!!!!
    squeee!!!!!!!!!1

    and other such one line posts that are not discussion about the show at all, just, what can be seen, as useless squeeing.

    now don't get me wrong. it's great that folks love it. however 'that was the best episode ever!!!!' is just as much of a useless post as 'that was the worst piece of drek in the world'

    both sides are more than entitled to thier opinion. however one line expressions of glee do just as little for a discussion as one line expressions of dislike

    if you think it's great, well why is it great? share with folks your favorite scene, best line, etc. post something that contributes to the discussion instead of just some flyby posting
    Squee!!!!! He´s right!!!!!!

    Seriously though, couldn´t admins set up the episode discussion threads so that any reply that wasn´t at least a certain length wouldn´t be allowed? A bit extreme but it would cut down on those that are just posting there in order to increase their post count, at the very least it would force them to put what they like in words.

  5. #45
    First Lieutenant not so ancient's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2005
    Location
    curled up on McKay's bed, purring. ;-)
    Posts
    651

    Default Re: Who else is sick of negative threads.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dani347
    All right, we can play if you want. No, you're not rescinding rights. Thank heavens you don't have the power to do so. But, if you want to get specific, everyone should have the right to post negatively about the show without hearing what's wrong with them posting negatively. Just like people who love the show wouldn't want to hear that they shouldn't love the show, or that their beliefs, their opinions, their reasons, or whatever other nitpicky thing that I didn't grasp exactly you can think of are "stupid and/or pathetic".
    Yeah, well, that would all make a lot of sense if I expressed my mean bad nasty no-good opinion on a consistent confrontational basis simply to denigrate someone who's bashing the show.

    I don't. This one time, I made a general observation without naming names in a thread about negativity.

    I probably will have no reason to say any of this again. There's no point in it, really. Bashers aren't going to be persuaded by my opinion. And bashing bashers is not why I'm in the fandom. I'm not threatened by anyone's opinion of any show. I could care less. I don't require validation.

    I suppose there are threads that say "I hate S9!" or "I hate Atlantis!" or "I hate McKay!" and if I stumble on one, I might read it, but I sure as heck am not going to jump on anyone in those threads with both feet and say "You stink!" Guess why? They have a right to do what they want to do and as long as they are obeying the forum moderators and not bothering me, it's of no concern to me.

    I even said it mostly applied to The X-Files fandom. But sheesh, you'd think I'd dropped a bomb on Vancouver from the reaction I'm getting.

    And no, I wouldn't ever rescind someone's rights. Even yours. That's not who I am. You have every right to post your negative opinion of my negative opinion of those who have negative opinions. I have every right not to care. Stalemate.

    Next?

  6. #46
    Lieutenant Colonel Dani347's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    Most likely on someone's ignore list
    Posts
    3,239

    Default Re: Who else is sick of negative threads.

    You know, you have every right to do so (yes, I will use that phrase) especially since the mods don't have a problem with the existence of this thread, but I do wonder why, instead of starting an entire thread asking people to name negative threads (hmm, I'm getting a 1950's McCarthy era vibe, and I wasn't even born then) people who are tired of the negative threads don't just saturate themselves with positive threads. I mean, it's so easy to avoid the negative threads. I know a board where some discussions aren't nicely divided up. There are no categories, no nicely labeled subject titles. If you want to talk you have no idea when you're going to run into a "this sucks" or "this is manna from heaven" posts. Here, if for some reason, another person's opinion offends you, you can go to threads that only allow (until the trolls poke their noses in) the opinions that you like. You can stay in the all singing all dancing we love everything Stargate threads. You can venture into threads where people discuss likes and dislikes and actually have real curiousity over why some people like or dislike something, or you can go into the all moaning, all groaning, "we hate Stargate" threads. But, since their all labeled, you don't have to put up with the threads you're sick of. But, hey, if it makes people feel good to worry about what other people are posting, more power to you.
    I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

    Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

    Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

    Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

    http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89


    Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

  7. #47
    Lieutenant Colonel Dani347's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    Most likely on someone's ignore list
    Posts
    3,239

    Default Re: Who else is sick of negative threads.

    Quote Originally Posted by not so ancient
    Yeah, well, that would all make a lot of sense if I expressed my mean bad nasty no-good opinion on a consistent confrontational basis simply to denigrate someone who's bashing the show.

    I don't. This one time, I made a general observation without naming names in a thread about negativity.

    I probably will have no reason to say any of this again. There's no point in it, really. Bashers aren't going to be persuaded by my opinion. And bashing bashers is not why I'm in the fandom. I'm not threatened by anyone's opinion of any show. I could care less. I don't require validation.

    I suppose there are threads that say "I hate S9!" or "I hate Atlantis!" or "I hate McKay!" and if I stumble on one, I might read it, but I sure as heck am not going to jump on anyone in those threads with both feet and say "You stink!" Guess why? They have a right to do what they want to do and as long as they are obeying the forum moderators and not bothering me, it's of no concern to me.

    I even said it mostly applied to The X-Files fandom. But sheesh, you'd think I'd dropped a bomb on Vancouver from the reaction I'm getting.

    And no, I wouldn't ever rescind someone's rights. Even yours. That's not who I am. You have every right to post your negative opinion of my negative opinion of those who have negative opinions. I have every right not to care. Stalemate.

    Next?
    Hee hee! There are so many responses I could give here. But, I'm going to be a good little girl. For the moment
    I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

    Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

    Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

    Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

    http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89


    Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

  8. #48
    First Lieutenant not so ancient's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2005
    Location
    curled up on McKay's bed, purring. ;-)
    Posts
    651

    Talking Re: Who else is sick of negative threads.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dani347
    Hee hee! There are so many responses I could give here. But, I'm going to be a good little girl. For the moment
    Bring it on.

    This should be amusing.

  9. #49
    Data ShadowMaat's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Doctor Horrible's Lab
    Posts
    17,531

    Default Re: Who else is sick of negative threads.

    Thank the gods the moderators on Gateworld aren't biased, or this place WOULD be a totalitarian society of "you either like it or you're banned for life".

    If people can post CONSTRUCTIVE comments, be they pro, anti, or somewhere in between, then I honestly don't see what the problem is. No one is holding a gun to your head and making you read something, so if there's something you don't like, don't read it. Oddly, that coincides with the "if you don't like it, don't watch it" mentality that keeps getting shoved down the throats of the naysayers. I love the irony.

    Me, I don't watch SG-1, but it used to be my favorite show on television and hearing what it's become and seeing it in previews and here on the boards, it's kinda like having an abcessed tooth- you can't help but poke at it and deep down, no matter how rotten you think the tooth is, you keep hoping that SOMETHING can be done to save it.

    Why am I still here? Because I'm still a fan of what SG-1 WAS. Because I still like to talk about the show. And most importantly, because I watch Atlantis. Maybe I don't delve into the SG-1 side of things as much, but I am still wholly a fan of Atlantis and the last time I checked I had just as much right to be here as every OTHER fan.

    If you find what I have to say so offensive that you lose sleep at night thinking about it, then there's this handy little feature called "ignore" which works very well. I use it rather prolifically, myself. And if you don't like to hear ANYONE say ANYTHING remotely negative about the show, you can go ahead and ignore them, too. As far as I know, there's no upper limit on adding people to your ignore list, so you can add each and every single naysayer to your list and continue to live in a happy little world where everything is sunshine and rainbows and where puppies sing and dance with adorable wide-eyed kittens.

    If I want to say, "SG-1 is crap, here's why..." then I bloody well will. If I want to say "RDA is crap, here's why..." then my posts will be deleted and I'll get a severe lecture from the mods. There ARE lines, you know. Complaining about fiction is fine, attacking real people is NOT.

    If you want to disagree with an opinion, that's fine, too, but don't single out the poster for ridicule and don't try and act as if the poster is WRONG for expressing his/her opinion. "SG-1 is crap, here's why..." is no worse than, "SG-1 is brilliant, here's why..." Calm, rational debate is the entire point of Gateworld. Well, that and thunking, which isn't always calm or rational.

  10. #50
    Lieutenant Colonel Dani347's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    Most likely on someone's ignore list
    Posts
    3,239

    Default Re: Who else is sick of negative threads.

    Quote Originally Posted by not so ancient
    Bring it on.

    This should be amusing.

    Maybe later, honey chile. Unless the thread evolves into something that makes a mod close it, it'll stll be here when I get back from actually posting about Stargate.

    I'm off to some threads about the show.
    I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

    Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

    Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

    Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

    http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89


    Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

  11. #51
    Captain Wyrminarrd's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Iceland
    Posts
    1,879

    Default Re: Who else is sick of negative threads.

    From the OP´s post I got the strong feeling that he was talking about the supposed surge (I say supposed because I´ve not noticed a lot of them) of threads were Farscape fans are coming to the forum (now that Ben and Claudia are here) and are bashing the old characters in order to promote their own favorites.

    I can well understand that this would make many old time gaters very irritated (if true) and that they´d get sick of it, there are very few things worse then reading stuff like "Sam sucks big time, they should replace here with Vala cause then this show would rule!" and things like that. People who have watched all eight seasons so far and are very fond of the characters do have a right to be angry at newcomers to the show who do such things.

    But like everyone is saying, everyone has a right to say what they want. It´s all just a question about keeping things civil and, if at all possible, intelligent.

  12. #52
    Lieutenant Colonel Osiris-RA's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Over There.
    Posts
    3,344

    Default Re: Who else is sick of negative threads.

    Well, I like thoughtful criticism and a good discussion - as long as noone starts flaming. (helps me get more posts. )

    While I hate the BB outranking Sam and Who cares about Sam anymore and all that stuff, Threads that are thought out and have an equal oportunity for both sides to speak their minds - NICELY - are ok with me. But if they get too nuts well, that's bad for my karma. Karma comes out through the computer too. *like when an unnamed person called me ignorant and said I was full of bull poo poo* bad Karma. It's all good vibes down here.

    Ok, so negativity is bad - but thoughtful negativity can do wonders for someone who'se woken up on the wrong side of the bed.

    Mostly I get involved for the posts though.

  13. #53
    First Lieutenant not so ancient's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2005
    Location
    curled up on McKay's bed, purring. ;-)
    Posts
    651

    Talking Re: Who else is sick of negative threads.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dani347
    Maybe later, honey chile. Unless the thread evolves into something that makes a mod close it, it'll stll be here when I get back from actually posting about Stargate.

    I'm off to some threads about the show.
    Ooops, gotta go post urgently, this moment, about Stargate. You'll get back to me!

    ::: snort :::: Yeah, and monkeys might fly out of my butt. [/Wayne. Or was it Garth?]

  14. #54
    Second Lieutenant Perriman33's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2005
    Location
    Cornwall- Home of the Pasty People
    Posts
    314

    Default Re: Who else is sick of negative threads.

    What does Sqeeing mean?
    As has already been mentioned there are ways of being negative without upsetting everybody. Its all about getting your point across without disrespecting anybody else on the Forum. And as Starellen1 mentioned earlier you have to be careful how you write posts, without an indication of what was meant a sentence can have two meanings.(oo-er!)
    Everybody gets something different out of the forum, I would be pretty single-minded and arrogant if I thought everybody wants the same things as me!

  15. #55
    Intergalactic Hussy
    (Moderator)
    Shipperahoy's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2004
    Location
    I don't know but the view sure looks nice
    Posts
    5,105

    Default Re: Who else is sick of negative threads.

    I've asked that this thread keep from turning personal and apparently it's not possible to do so so I'm going to close this thread. It's too bad because it could have been an interesting discussion.

    It was, is, and always will be GREEN

Similar Threads

  1. Those poor postless threads
    By Thoth in forum Off-Topic Chatter
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: September 4th, 2005, 11:16 AM
  2. Replies: 40
    Last Post: April 26th, 2005, 12:14 AM
  3. Fish in the Pond (Spoilers for S8's Moebius and Threads)
    By sppeters in forum SG-1 General Discussion
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: March 5th, 2005, 07:56 PM
  4. What are the Shipper and Thunk Threads?
    By TechnoWraith in forum SG-1 Characters & Relationships
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: December 1st, 2004, 07:31 PM
  5. Am I the only one sick and tired of Sam/Pete threads ?
    By Janus in forum SG-1 General Discussion
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: September 25th, 2004, 07:11 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •