Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey, I like Dr Carson Beckett/Paul McGillion. I like the fact that he is shy and modest about his medical work. I love his Scottish accent too and that fatc that he is very cute.

Comment

I must say Paul McGillion does an amazing job bringing Carson Beckett to life. The soft spoken yet spicy Scots man (when someone challanges him) is a terrific addition to Atlantis.

Besides I'm certainly not a girl that will turn down such a hottie with that accent!

Comment

A thought I had during "Duet" and other episodes:

I think if I was Beckett, I would be somewhat reassured (and politely puzzled) whenever McKay and Zelenka agree on something. It's when they disagree that things get hairy and physicians should get anxious.

Looking to Zelenka for a second opinion might position Beckett a bit better in such scenes. Kind of hard to look worried and then look worried some more.
        Wordsmit2

The story of my life. I finally find a city like this, intact, deserted for ten thousand years, probably contains hundreds of patents that I can exploit--and I'm going to die. I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit. --Max Eilerson, Crusade "War Zone"

Mess with me, you mess with my whole family. --Max Eilerson, Crusade "Ruling From the Tomb"

Comment

Haven't seen Duet yet, but I read many reports and many reactions to it. It seems as if Carson
          Spoiler:
          is really nice to Cadman in the end, squeezing her hand and smiling at her.

There were quite some people who said that they wouldn't mind, yes even like it if Carson had a relationship on the show, so why not
          Spoiler:
          with Cadman, since there also seems to be mutual attraction.
          Well, I don't now about anyone else here, but I don't think that would be such a good idea. I like Carson to be happy, but I think it just wouldn't fit to have any one of the maincast have an established relationships, at least not yet already.
          What do you think, will
          Spoiler:
          Cadman reappear, will there be/should there be talk about dates, possible happy times or a breakup or nothing at all?

Bye, A.
          ~°~Dr. Rodney McKay ~°~ Dr. Carson Beckett ~°~ McKay/Sheppard ~°
          ~*~ David Hewlett fan ~*~

Comment

Originally posted by Arlessiar
            Haven't seen Duet yet, but I read many reports and many reactions to it. It seems as if Carson
            Spoiler:
            is really nice to Cadman in the end, squeezing her hand and smiling at her.

There were quite some people who said that they wouldn't mind, yes even like it if Carson had a relationship on the show, so why not
            Spoiler:
            with Cadman, since there also seems to be mutual attraction.
            Well, I don't now about anyone else here, but I don't think that would be such a good idea. I like Carson to be happy, but I think it just wouldn't fit to have any one of the maincast have an established relationships, at least not yet already.
            What do you think, will
            Spoiler:
            Cadman reappear, will there be/should there be talk about dates, possible happy times or a breakup or nothing at all?

Bye, A.
            I like Dr. B and am glad he's getting a bigger role this season. As for your question
            Spoiler:
            I wouldn't mind seeing references to them dating, but not making it a major storyline.

Comment

He was so cute in "Duet"!!!

Of course he's always adorable!

Comment

I hope they just drop the whole Cadman thing and leave it as what is, a
                Spoiler:
                young woman with a crush, and from what it looked to me, the only one of the two to feel that way. Carson only said she was a lovely lady. He said more flatering things about that ancient from santuary to her face than Cadman. Beckett is just such a nice guy that he was trying to comfort her with the smile and hand sweeze. I work with a doctor who is freindly like that all the time (patting people on the back or hands and smiling and telling jokes) and means nothing but "I hope you get better", not I love you. It is good bedside manners.

Carson is such a wonderful character and it would be way to soon to start pairing up the main cast. It has been shown to be the down fall of many great characters. Just look at some of the star trek characters and how they started to lose all their charms when they paried up. Like in Voyager (Tom and Belana?) It takes away the suprise of will he, Carson, the hopeless romantic that he is, every find romance. Once a hopeless romantic finds romance, they lose that adorable lost puppy dog appeal. Carson needs to stay adorable. In a show that has soliders, smarty pants, nerds, jocks and over proctective mothering types, (not that any of these are bad, I like them all) they realy need to keep the adorable ones just that, adorable.

Carson is my favorite charater so I want him to stay single and spred his sweetness all around. So far, no girl has been good enough for him.
                Last edited by kittyangel; 06 August 2005, 08:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Arlessiar
                  What do you think, will
                  Spoiler:
                  Some mentioning of them spending time with each other would be ok with me but I don't want to see it and I don't want it to be even remotely serious.
                  Spoiler:
                  Honestly, I thought the Cadman character was really annoying and also that she is maybe too juvenile for him. Carson has a really sweet, playful side to him but she seemed really young in maturity level and he is definately a mature man. I liked Perna with him much more.
                  Anyways, as you all said it's too early and detrimental to character development to match people up this early
                  Remixed old sig...cause I wanted the pretty again!
                  :.*.:My Live Journal:.*.:

Comment

I read through all your comments (here and on the PM thunk thread), and they got me thinking, because I was a little harsh in my last comment.
                    It seems that nearly all of us agree that Cadman seems to be quite young and just having a crush on Carson, and that there shouldn't be a serious relationship. I think so too.
                    But I noticed that I don't have anything against most relationships in fanfics and that I liked many serious relationships on shows like StarTrek DS9. Maybe it's different on SGA, because a character like Cadman wasn't really introduced. I have no sympathy for her because I don't know her, and so I can only judge from what I see in one episode (and so far it seems she is rather, hmmm, let's say "childish"). There can also be interesting relationships with such characters, but mostly only when they are limited to this one episode (like Perna, who I liked much more than Cadman), so that you know that nothing more will happen.
                    Well, long story short, I do think that Carson should stay single a little longer. But now I can also imagine that to change one day, since he seems to be someone who is made for happy long term relationships. But not so soon. This way he has more time to concentrate on his friends. And I liked what I saw so far in Duet concerning that. He's great as a friend and as a doctor, so sympathetic and caring.

Bye, A.

Comment

Originally posted by kimaken
                      Deleted my previous post about Beckett's quarters so will try another topic to generate discussion.
                      Why did you delete it? I'm sorry, I wanted to answer to it but I forgot about it. I still hope we get to see Carson's quarters one day. We saw Sheppard's, Ford's, Teyla's and Rodney's room and some others, but since Beckett wasn't a regular character last season I didn't wonder that we didn't see his. Maybe it will happen this season, after all we didn't see Rodney's quarters until Duet and haven't seen Weir's yet, only her office.
                      I wonder if he has something scottish in his room, like a bottle of, hmm, let's say Glenmorangie. Cliché things like a kilt or a bagpipe or a plaid. Maybe medical books for research. Poetry. Some pictures from home. I bet it would be a cosy place.

I was reading over on the McKay/Hewlett Thunk thread about spoilers for an upcoming episode ("Critical Mass") and someone mentioned how the writers always use previously unknown characters that end up getting killed off and wondered why the writers don't use "Beckett or somebody that TPTB don't want to kill off just yet." Obviously if it was McKay or Sheppard were to ever be killed off, the show would undoubtedly die.
                      What are the chances of Beckett getting killed off this season or next? I don't think it's impossible--after all, the writers did kill off Janet Frasier in S7 of SG1.
                      As far as I know the character of Frasier was liked among the fans and she didn't expect that she has to leave the show, so I was surprised by her death. But maybe there were publicly unknown problems behind the scenes so that she had to leave. AND she was only a recurring character.
                      PM is now a regular cast member. It's highly unlikely that he will be killed off just to push up the ratings. If there were problems with his character or if he wanted to quit, then changes could happen. Look at Ford. But I think, if everything's alright he won't get killed off. I suppose there is also a part in his contract about that, because I've never seen a major character just die or getting killed in a TV show just because someone decided that would be a nice script. When it happened there was always a good reason for it. As far as I know being a regular cast member is something like a life insurance!
                      I worry more about Zelenka. Just look what they did with Peter Grodin!
                      How do you think the other characters would react to such a loss? Do you think there would be any long term consequences in such a bold move by TPTB?
                      I guess there would be some consequences, but maybe not for a really long time. It depends on the way a character leaves the story and on the way an actor leaves the show, I think. And if there is a replacement.
                      Look at Star Trek DS9. Terry Farrell (Jadzia Dax) left (because of payment issues), and there was a lot of sorrow. A new character came, and on this show this character even had a relation to Jadzia, so Jadzia was never completely forgotten. On the other hand there was never any more footage of Jadzia included because TF didn't want that, and it was a bit strange not to see her in the retrospection in the last ep.
                      So, there are many ways such a loss could be handled on a TV show.
                      I guess if Beckett died unexpectedly this would have an impact on the other characters. But I really don't think that he might just die or get killed.

TPTB:
                      Kill off Beckett and I'm a very pissed fan.

Bye, A.

Comment

Would the impact of losing a better known character such as Beckett be far more dramatic than losing someone such as Simpson (female scientist/engineer from "Thirty Eight Minutes")? Would it be a real ratings boon?
                        I'd say definately yes. If that happened I wouldn't believe it, I would think that it was some kind of trick and he would be back in some crazy plot later on. Now Simpson, I'd miss her, but we all know the same minor characters/actors can't be on the show forever. I mean, they might get a full time gig somewhere else. Though I admit I was rather shocked at poor grodin's fate so maybe I am underestimating my attachment to minor characters.

What are the chances of Beckett getting killed off this season or next? I don't think it's impossible--after all, the writers did kill off Janet Frasier in S7 of SG1.
                        IMO opinion slim to none. I heard that Frasier was killed off because TPTB believed that would be there last year and maybe they wanted her character to go off in a big way. I really do believe that if they knew there was going to be a season 8 and 9 she would still be around. And it would be really cruel to kill off Beckett---both for Paul and the fans. The only reason he is a regular now is because of his superb acting and his popularity on the show. Why kill him off?

Of course now I must cross my fingers just in case!
                        Remixed old sig...cause I wanted the pretty again!
                        :.*.:My Live Journal:.*.:

Comment

I don't believe that they would be killing Carson any time soon, if ever. If they were planning on doing that they would have keep him recurring as to not have the pay raise the regulars get, not that I think they are raking in money. I would think that Zalenka is in more trouble of being the sacrifical ratings lamb if anyone. He is well liked and everyone would be upset, but his death would upset the structure of the program the least. If they got rid of the Carson they would have to get a new DR. and we can only see so many new character a year. Zalenka (though he is great) would not need a replacement since they will still have Rodney.

Comment

Originally posted by kittyangel
                            I don't believe that they would be killing Carson any time soon, if ever. If they were planning on doing that they would have keep him recurring as to not have the pay raise the regulars get, not that I think they are raking in money. I would think that Zalenka is in more trouble of being the sacrifical ratings lamb if anyone. He is well liked and everyone would be upset, but his death would upset the structure of the program the least. If they got rid of the Carson they would have to get a new DR. and we can only see so many new character a year. Zalenka (though he is great) would not need a replacement since they will still have Rodney.
                            The already nocked off Grodin, a "well known" supporting character. But with what's going on with Ford, I don't expect them to do anything too drastic with any of the other stars.

Regarding Beckett and Cadman,
                            Spoiler:
                            she'll be back later this season. Check out this article (click here) to learn a little more about that.

Don't they make a cute copule?

Of the six main characters on Atlantis, I think Beckett could best be used to show a "normal" relationship happening on Atlantis, one that can be confined to B-plots or minor details in episodes.

a time to mourn

Comment

Ok, squee moment-I love PM's smile in that pic! Too adorable
                              Carson is the *reason* I started watching Atlantis. Now along with McKay, those 2 have almost completely converted me into SGA>SG-1 fan. I guess b/c I am more excited about McBeck now that Jack/Daniel is in the past (but not forgotten). Don't want to start comparisons, but if Carson would go the way of Janet---- Uh, no.

He is pretty popular, perhaps tied with Zalenka for third favorite male character.
                              Ford seems to have quite a fan base too but I'm pretty new to SGA so I dunno. I'd love to know where I could read about that, even read up on how PM became regular from recurring. Tried looking for the reasons behind it, but just found the usual PR mentions about the move. It'd be cool to read how he became a fan fave.

Comment

Originally posted by DrsChick
                                Ok, squee moment-I love PM's smile in that pic! Too adorable
                                Carson is the *reason* I started watching Atlantis. Now along with McKay, those 2 have almost completely converted me into SGA>SG-1 fan. I guess b/c I am more excited about McBeck now that Jack/Daniel is in the past (but not forgotten). Don't want to start comparisons, but if Carson would go the way of Janet---- Uh, no.
                                They aren't going to do that, Janet was never a major character not in the opening credits etc. They won't kill him off either (yet).

Originally posted by DrsChick
                                Ford seems to have quite a fan base too but I'm pretty new to SGA so I dunno. I'd love to know where I could read about that, even read up on how PM became regular from recurring. Tried looking for the reasons behind it, but just found the usual PR mentions about the move. It'd be cool to read how he became a fan fave.
                                Well it is obvious he is so good?!?! What is the problem with that reason? I think the so called PR stuff is pretty much correct he was in so many scenes during season one and being someone who still is watching season one that is so true I have noticed him in more and more scenes. So why not just increase his role and make him a OT credited character/actor. He is also the character on the show who is most like us "the viewer" in some ways, he is not comfortable with some of the decisions that are made and he is more likely to

Spoiler:
                                want to help than kill a Waith.

Plus with Fords role being down graded somewhat it was inevitable that someone had to be put in to fill the gap (I don't see RD as being that character). There is also the on screen chemistry he has with both McKay (David) and Weir (Torri) IMO he helps make McKay and Weir more believable and for myself in the case of Weir a warmer character. Just my opinion.

Comment

Working...
                                X