This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dr Carson Beckett Discussion here

As far as I know this is the one and only "Discussion thread" for Dr Carson Beckett.

So please feel free to discuss Dr Carson Beckett here.

Link to Character synopsis at GateWorld.
    http://www.gateworld.net/omnipedia/c.../beckett.shtml

I wish I had his accent!

Very, very cool accent.

Comment

Cool, you really did it, Rose!
      So this is something like the Rodney McKay discussion thread, where we mainly discuss the character and thunk (a little) less than in the PM/CB thunk thread, right?

So let me start by saying, that I really love the character of Beckett, although I hope that now that he is a regular cast member they will show more of him as a competent doc and don't misuse him as a (frigthened) soldier so often. And I think he's a great doc, he seems to be so gentle and caring, and above that he's so (hmm, hope that's the right word for that) humble/decent!

Bye, A.
      ~°~Dr. Rodney McKay ~°~ Dr. Carson Beckett ~°~ McKay/Sheppard ~°
      ~*~ David Hewlett fan ~*~

Comment

Originally posted by Arlessiar
        Cool, you really did it, Rose!
        So this is something like the Rodney McKay discussion thread, where we mainly discuss the character and thunk (a little) less than in the PM/CB thunk thread, right?

So let me start by saying, that I really love the character of Beckett, although I hope that now that he is a regular cast member they will show more of him as a competent doc and don't misuse him as a (frigthened) soldier so often. And I think he's a great doc, he seems to be so gentle and caring, and above that he's so (hmm, hope that's the right word for that) humble/decent!

Bye, A.
        I am on other sites, a believer in one character one thread, here it seems you are almost encouraged to start as many as possible!

I found the GW handy character brief, hehe, to be very informative plus...spoiler for "The Intruder"
        Spoiler:

In "The Intruder" when he is back on Earth before going to Atlantis, he is so humble about he's abilities, the stuff along the lines of "everyone is much more qualified than me" I found to be adorable but also a little over done.

I mean he did discover the "gene" and that he has said gene, that is pretty darn big in the way of discoveries.

Comment

Originally posted by Space_Pirate
          I wish I had his accent!

Very, very cool accent.
          Indeed, me too

And I like his way of showing emotions, very subtle way
          !!!THE SUPREME PICTURE HUNTER FOR LABCOAT LOVE ASSOCIATION!!!

All the images in my signatures usually come from HERE
          How do you like my new signature?

Comment

He seems very lacking in confidence about his own abilities - and hence makes a fabulous contrast to Rodney. He seems quite shy, too, which makes him pretty cute!

But I do have to ask: what the heck was he wearing in Intruder (keeping it vague as to when during Intruder to avoid spoilers)?! For a while I forgot that we were in the present-day - it looked like some alt-universe clothing!

Comment

He is so funny especially with Rodney

He gets my vote as the best sci-fi doctor ever
              gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
              so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
              love Torri

Comment

Originally posted by Callie
                He seems very lacking in confidence about his own abilities - and hence makes a fabulous contrast to Rodney. He seems quite shy, too, which makes him pretty cute!

But I do have to ask: what the heck was he wearing in Intruder (keeping it vague as to when during Intruder to avoid spoilers)?! For a while I forgot that we were in the present-day - it looked like some alt-universe clothing!
                Oh no, I liked the look!
                Spoiler:
                Dark suit with open shirt suites him grrll.

Yes he does seem to be lacking in confidence in the open, however you don't get to be where he is without self belief.

So I see him as more reserved maybe unassuming (personally I hate that word) and maybe yes, a little shy. You can definatley see the contrast with McKay!

Comment

Originally posted by Drwho'srose
                  Yes he does seem to be lacking in confidence in the open, however you don't get to be where he is without self belief.
                  So I see him as more reserved maybe unassuming (personally I hate that word) and maybe yes, a little shy. You can definatley see the contrast with McKay!
                  As you said, he discovered the gene, and although nobody knows how he got to the Stargate program, it is sure that you don't get there when you are a complete moron. I guess he knows that he's anything but a moron, but he is so natural and humble that such terms as genius or talent might not be important to him as a person. Some people only seem to be humble but in private they know they're good, maybe very good. But I think Carson really doesn't think of himself as highly talented, he is the opposite of arrogance. He questions his own motives and actions, has self doubts and moral principles. He must also have known that the research on the ATA gene wasn't something you do to establish reputation, because it's top secret, but he did it anyway, because the research was more important/interesting than possible fame.
                  I think he's really a little like Bones on Star Trek (not only because of the "gate phobia" ), who described himself as "just an old country doctor". Nonetheless Carson trusts in his own abilities as a doctor. Yes, he lacks self-confidence sometimes, but I think only in those areas of life that don't deal with medicine or are new and unknown. And I think that's completely understandable. OK, the character was a little whiny in the first season, but I think that might change with "his" promotion.
                  We didn't get to know what his real profession is until now, but I really think he might be able to combine general medicine, surgery and genetics. I hope they'll focus on that a little more on the show in the future.

Phew, enough said. No, one more thing: Did the message get through that I adore Carson?
                  Bye, A.
                  Last edited by Arlessiar; 30 July 2005, 12:17 PM.

Comment

Ooh! A Carson discussion thread! And fancy seeing you on here, Arlessiar!

Originally posted by kimaken
                    Like everyone else, I grew tired of whiny Carson, mostly because when McKay whines, it's considered cute, but when Carson whines it's considered pathetic. I was hoping to see some growth of character in Carson--it's okay to still be scared, but he needs to get past the fear and deal with it without the whining, despairing complaints. In these first two episodes of the season, it was a pleasure to see Carson has "grown up" with the situation.
                    I guess personally I don't see CArson as that whiny, or at least it doesn't bother me so much. I can't help feeling like I would be a little bit like that too, so maybe I'm going easy on him Plus, I like the way his character plays off McKay when he's all scaredy-cat Carson!
                    Now, if only we could SEE more of his contributions to the team rather than just get TOLD about them, you know?
                    Totally agree! It seems that we only really see Carson when there's a medical emergency, and never any day to day stuff or personality tidbits. I hope in S2 we will get more background on him...hopefully Duet
                    Remixed old sig...cause I wanted the pretty again!
                    :.*.:My Live Journal:.*.:

Comment

I've only seen screencaps of "Runner", but there are two interesting things in this ep I'd like to discuss or hear more about:
                      Spoiler:
                      First: So Carson is called to get this "thing" out of Ronon. Does that help us in the discussion of his profession? Is that little surgery he performs something any doc could do, or does it indicate that he's also a surgeon?
                      It looks in these pics as if Ronon faints after the little surgery. I haven't seen so many caps, so did Carson close the wound at all? Does he care for the unconscious Ronon? Because a few caps later it looks as if Ronon still lies on the ground in the same strange angle in which he fell.
                      I'd imagine that Carson would fuss over his patients a little more.

Second: There are pics of Carson with a weapon in his hand. He doesn't look as scared as he did in "The Eye" when he had a weapon. Does that mean they made him more brave? I would appreciate that. He surely isn't the hero when it comes to "military situations", but I'd like it if he also wasn't only all whiny in those situations.

Bye, A.

Comment

Originally posted by Arlessiar
                        I've only seen screencaps of "Runner", but there are two interesting things in this ep I'd like to discuss or hear more about:
                        Spoiler:
                        First: So Carson is called to get this "thing" out of Ronon. Does that help us in the discussion of his profession? Is that little surgery he performs something any doc could do, or does it indicate that he's also a surgeon?
                        It looks in these pics as if Ronon faints after the little surgery. I haven't seen so many caps, so did Carson close the wound at all? Does he care for the unconscious Ronon? Because a few caps later it looks as if Ronon still lies on the ground in the same strange angle in which he fell.
                        I'd imagine that Carson would fuss over his patients a little more.

Second: There are pics of Carson with a weapon in his hand. He doesn't look as scared as he did in "The Eye" when he had a weapon. Does that mean they made him more brave? I would appreciate that. He surely isn't the hero when it comes to "military situations", but I'd like it if he also wasn't only all whiny in those situations.

Bye, A.
                        In Runner
                        Spoiler:
                        We didn't see what happened after Ronon passes out. We're left to assume Carson takes care of him. Although Ronon is oddly left in the same position I believe as he landed when passing out. I'd say it was a pretty delicate proceedure as he would be getting very close to the spine.

I have to admit it surprises me how he just picked up that gun without seeming to think about it.

I've seen some complaints that he was whining about the conditions he would have to be working under on this planet. Personally I thought his objections were valid. This was definitly not an ideal place to be performing such delicate surgery in my opinion.

I just adore Carson. And I am such a sucker for a Scottish accent.

Comment

Dr. Beckett has a big heart, shy and modest, has strong medical values and ethics (eg. Before I Sleep), and a Scots accent to die and/or swoon for, not to mention his good looks and that dimple

A complete contrast to Dr. Mackay, which make him a more endearing character, in my opinion.
                          Proud Thunker of Carson Beckett and John Sheppard
                          and Captain Jack Harkness
                          Creator of The Rockett - Rodney & Beckett Thread
                          Priestess of the Lab Coat Love Association
                          Proud owner of the chant *sigh..swoon..faint..Thunk!*
                          I live here.....Calling All Australians?
                          My other home...Stargate Down Under
                          My Life on LiveJournal

Comment

Originally posted by Celestial
                            Dr. Beckett has a big heart, shy and modest, has strong medical values and ethics (eg. Before I Sleep), and a Scots accent to die and/or swoon for, not to mention his good looks and that dimple
                            I think you meant to post that in the *Thunk* thread and got lost.

Originally posted by Celestial
                            A complete contrast to Dr. Mackay, which make him a more endearing character, in my opinion.
                            Oh, don't go there! And um it is McKay, no a! eh!

Comment

Originally posted by Drwho'srose
                              I think you meant to post that in the *Thunk* thread and got lost.

Oh, don't go there! And um it is McKay, no a! eh!
                              Somewhere along the post I think I most definitely lost myself and wandered into the THUNK thread. specially if I'm mispelling McKay wrong!

And i will definitely leave McKay well enough alone...hehehe which leaves more for you Drwho'sRose

Ok, I think I'll jump back into the PM/CB Thunk thread!
                              Proud Thunker of Carson Beckett and John Sheppard
                              and Captain Jack Harkness
                              Creator of The Rockett - Rodney & Beckett Thread
                              Priestess of the Lab Coat Love Association
                              Proud owner of the chant *sigh..swoon..faint..Thunk!*
                              I live here.....Calling All Australians?
                              My other home...Stargate Down Under
                              My Life on LiveJournal

Comment

Working...
                              X