The end of Star Trek?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The end of Star Trek?

Am I the only one who cannot beleive that end of 'Enterprise' = end of Star Trek?

Surely there is scope in the future for the franchise to be ressurected with a new series. I sincerely hope so anyway. Enterprise was badly flawed (i wont go into it now) and has apparently killed the whole franchise of. This shouldnt be so.

Who agrees with me?

Personaly i'd like to see a new series start where DS9 left off, showing the aftermath of the dominion war and starfleet picking up the pieces.

Surely with new writers, a new cast and crew (and perhaps after a rest period after Enterprise), the Star Trek concept/franchise can be given a new lease of life.
    Last edited by richardf; 28 July 2005, 01:12 PM. Reason: spelling and punctuation

Star Trek was a great franchise, but it became overconfident and assumed anything with a Star Trek label would sell.

I grew up watching ST:TNG and DS9, and both shows were quite good. Even when fans didn't like a particular change in the show, they stayed and watched, but then, the thinktanks screwed up. They gave us Voyager, and Voyager taught many trekkies that life without Trek is ok because of other new shows, including Stargate. The writers should have waited for the fans to recover from Voyager, but instead, they gave us Enterprise. More and more fans left earlier in the show's run, and what should have been a seven year money-maker, died a mostly unmourned death (I apologize now if you liked Voyager or Enterprise).

Trek is a deposed king. It gave us weaker and weaker movies, overpriced DVD sets, and the same tired Trek merchandise. I went to conventions when I was a teenager, but now, I would need way too much money to buy souveniers.

I love the older shows, but I want Trek to stay gone for awhile. I don't want Starfleet Academy, a new movie, even reruns. I want none of it. I want it to stay gone until the fans start to miss it, and the writers can come up with a plot that doesn't have to mimic the previous shows. If this union of fandom and good writing cannot occur, I'm prepared to live without Star Trek.

Yes, Star Trek helped open the doors for many wonderful science fiction shows, but their producers need to realize one important fact: Today, better scifi exists.
    "Trust me. I'm a psychopath." Jekyll

"And I thought the end of the world couldn't get any worse" Ianto-Torchwood

Comment

Well it shouldn't be the end but it does indeed seem so. Part of the problem is that they set the series far in the future but modern technology has caught up with some of the things that once seemed so intriqguing and people have gotten knowlegable enough that looking back, so much of their technobable seems silly and woefully inaccurate.
      Technology and the understanding of it has moved at such a pace that I'm betting it's very hard for the writers to really wow us anymore.

They've also made several missteps. I loved Voyager but it seems that's not the popular oppinion so I'm guessing they alienated some fans there. they then further aggravated ones like me with Enterprise and of course there's the awful movie Nemesis which didn't add anything to the series. If they're going to recover they'd have to do something spectacular and I don't see it happening anytime soon if at all. Are there any stories left to be told that fans would still want to see?

I was always of the opinion that they should have waited at least two years after Voyager before introducing a new ST series. Maybe then they'd have come up with better ideas and a better captain.

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

Originally posted by MarshAngel
        I was always of the opinion that they should have waited at least two years after Voyager before introducing a new ST series. Maybe then they'd have come up with better ideas and a better captain.
        Yes. They might have had time to think of better characters, and they might not have created as many problems with the Trek timeline.

Personally, Enterprise lost me as soon as I saw the captain's faithful dog. The show is going into space less explored and more risk-filled than when Kirk set out, yet the little dog is safe. The entire premise of ST:TNG was that space was finally safe "enough" to bring kids and pets although bad things could still happen.

After the dog, I remember watching them smear goo on people in their underwear to prevent disease. I remember thinking Kirk could have had a good time with that stuff. Too bad, starfleet apparently banned it. What were they thinking?

It has been a long day. On topic: Time off will allow everyone to forget the episodes a bit. We'll stop remembering that the Klingon council of whatever promised Worf sancutary on X date and how the new show, movie, whatever is wrong. It would allow the writers a chance to possibly create a show that could grow with fan support.

Comment

I doubt it's the end, but it's the end for quite a while now. I liked voyager, it was pretty good, but enterprise was a big meh.

Advice For The New Millenium: A watched torrent never downloads.

Comment

Like i said, give it a rest then come back fresh in a few years.

Personaly I like DS9 and the Original Series, found TNG OK particularly in later seasons. ENT would have been OK but for the anachronisms and bad writing. As for Voyager it has some good individual episodes but overall find it a big turn off.

I'd say the franchise could learn a lot from the likes of Stargate et al.

Comment

I don't think we've seen the end of Star Trek, it is too entrenched in our culture to let it die completely. Give it a few years and we'll have new series or maybe a movie, as long and Branon and Berman don't touch it, it will turn out fine. And I agree with the dvd's being to expensive, $130 or so for a single season just because it has the Star Trek name? No thanks, thats the one reason I've never bought a Star Trek season.

Comment

I said this on the Star Trek forum and I'll say it here, I knew early-on in the first season that Enterprise was the death of Star Trek as we know it. I personally blame Brannon and Braga - even though they came up with some great ideas, episodes and series, no-one has infinate creativity and Brannon especially should've, after Voyager, began a hunt for a new executive producer who he could be sure would keep Star Trek's best interests at heart and soul.

Instead, Enterprise was created and destroyed, Nemesis was released and mainly shot down and Star Trek, after 18 years non-stop has been cancelled. I just hope this isn't the end, I don't think it will be.
                //

O'Neill: Phasers?
                Carter: Sorry sir.

HAPPY 40TH STAR TREK!! LIVE LONG AND PROSPER!

Comment

Star Trek should have rested for a few years between Voyager and Enterprise. Five months was to fast. The studio just wanted to suck every last penny out of the franchise that it could. Now that they have done that they have dumped the carcas. I think that Berman and Braga were creatively worn out before it began.
                  Do your people practice being vague?
                  Col. Jack O'Neill

Comment

No, Star Trek will last when all the movies and shows come on DVD, and then it will die. Thank goodness, I was waiting for Enterprise 4th season to end. I guess ppl don't like Voyager enough cuz it's still in syndication. TOS is on Sci-Fi and TNG and DS9 are on Spike.

Hah! At least Star Wars will keep going with a tv show. But that's not a good idea because Star Wars wasn't made for tv. Oh, well.

Sorry for me getting off topic.

Jack: Is mental illness contagious?
                    Daniel: This has been disturbing on many levels.
                    "Trandoshan eliminated...with extreme prejudice." - Scorch RC-1262
                    My deviantART profile

Comment

I grew up with TNG,DS9 and VOY and some of it was the best sci-fi (in fact the best tv) I have ever seen but then Enterprise came along and it went downhill

Considering all the advances which came about in the last ep of voyager and the stuff from insurrection I think ST has become too advanced
                      gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
                      so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
                      love Torri

Comment

I'm confused. What do you mean by 'advanced'?

My deviantART profile

Comment

Originally posted by GeneralJackO'Neill
                          No, Star Trek will last when all the movies and shows come on DVD, and then it will die. Thank goodness, I was waiting for Enterprise 4th season to end. I guess ppl don't like Voyager enough cuz it's still in syndication. TOS is on Sci-Fi and TNG and DS9 are on Spike.

Hah! At least Star Wars will keep going with a tv show. But that's not a good idea because Star Wars wasn't made for tv. Oh, well.

Sorry for me getting off topic.
                          I agree that Star Wars is continuing, but I wonder if the signs of imminent destruction haven't appeared for this franchise as well. More and more people are coming away from the films angry and disillusioned. If the new series doesn't start strong, Lucas' critics will only get louder.

Both franchises are forgetting their fan base. People watch shows for the characters, writing, special effects, etc. not to buy merchandise or make a producer money. So far, I enjoy the world of Stargate because the show's marketting people haven't fogotten about the fanbase. If they start trying to support four SG shows at once, raise prices to levels beyond most fans' incomes, or offer fewer conventions with larger stars, I'll start wondering about this franchise too.

Right now, it looks like the Stargate franchise is poised to depose Trek.

Comment

MasySyma I'm glad you said that. Lucas and Episode 3 have taken heat for many reasons. Lucas only cares for the money he makes off the merchandise, to get the movies done and doesn't care what the fans really want on the films. (I guess that's why there's Steve Sansweet for the fans, instead of Lucas)

Star Trek was doomed when they started Enterprise. Nemesis didn't do a real good job either. However, TOS lasted 3 seasons, because science fiction wasn't big back then. 10-15 years later Roddenberry comes back with TNG to last for 7 seasons. DS9 and VOY also lasted for 7 seasons. Coming to 24 complete seasons of Star Trek. Enterprise comes along. I must say the 1st and 2nd seasons did a very good job. Then when the Xindi come into it, man it goes downhill.

I'm disappointed with Enterprise in only two main areas: pointless storylines and sex/nudity scenes. I hardly watched the third season and I was waiting for the fourth season to end.

Stargate on the other hand has managed to leap over Star Trek's average season count. Atlantis has been renewed, that's good. If the writers, producers and editors of Stargate continue to listen to their fanbase and take action on their opinions and suggestions then I believe Stargate will last a lot longer.

Longer than Star Trek, possibly Star Wars and definately any Roddenberry shows like Andromeda and Earth: Final Conflict.

My deviantART profile

Comment

Originally posted by GeneralJackO'Neill
                              I'm confused. What do you mean by 'advanced'?
                              Janeway from the future gave them those awesome shields and gave the borg a virus

Picard says that he will make sure that all the people of the federation find out what happened with the Ba'ku - wont this just mean more people will come in search of the fountain of youth
                              gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
                              so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
                              love Torri

Comment

Working...
                              X