It's that time again: Yorkshire Day!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's that time again: Yorkshire Day!!!!

Just a quick reminder to those not in the know: 1st August is Yorkshire Day.

Woo hoo.

A time for those of us lucky enough to come from Yorkshire (and especially those who live there) to remember those less fortunate than ourselves, and show them just what they are missing.

Remember there are only two kinds of folks: those of us who come from Yorkshire, and those of them who come from the suburbs of Yorkshire.

Anyway, I'll be on my jollies at that time (not, unfortunately in Yorkshire) so I can only be with you all in spirit.

have some Wensleydale for me!
    In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king

sigpic

What does one do on Yorkshire Day? do you have a Yorkshire Tree? Yorkshire fireworks? or just lots of adult beverage consumption?
    Seriously, what’s it about?

Comment

Yorkshire pudding, perhaps?
      I'd start a revolution if I could get up in the morning.

Comment

Most importantly perhaps, are you a suburb-person or a city-person?
        Rocky

Comment

Are there by any chance, presents? I like holidays with presents...

Comment

What? A holiday? For people like me? Who've spent their life in glorious Yorkshire? Completely grown up in North Yorkshire? (the best part as far as i know )

Do give details!!!

--Tan

Comment

MC has always claimed the centre of the Earth and Universe to be the grand County of Yorkshire .

The celebration of Yorkshire Day should, I believe, include drinking copious amounts of Yorkshire Tea.Brewed till it screams,with a little drop of bovine lactose and sugared to taste.One also needs to purchase "real" chips .For MC,no gravy required..and the chips should be served on greaseproof paper and newspaper if possible,with goodly amounts of salt and vinegar.Mushy Peas ,optional.

Also,'tis a day to rejoice and make merry over ye Cricket,ye Dales,Ye Leeds United...and anything at all that makes Yorkeshiremen/women/Clangers feel that it's good up North !

Please note I'm not actually from Yorkshire, but I DO remember the old Delphi threads and the v.serious topic of British Chips !

*Scribbles in diary* :
              "Buy Wensleydale wedge for August 1 st...or take another "Spooning "on MC's return."

I've probably missed out loads of critical info !
              The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

I'm right next to the dales, and in the home of Yorkshire Tea Yey for Harrogate
                I shall indulge in good ol' fish and chips, good ol' tea, good ol' scenery
                I stil need to understand the concept of Yorkshire day though

--Tan

Comment

*Whispers* I think one needs to be a Clanger to understand the whole concept of Yorkshire Day...and she's skedaddled away on her hols !
                  I think I need to do some research .It's been a while since I dug around in the old archives.If I'm not back in about a week,send out a search party !

E.T.A >>>

Well,that didn't take long,actually.Some of the pages "stuck" ! No luck finding a specific thread mentioning this "Yorkshire Day" ,but....wth is "Ferret Legging" ,anyone ? Sounds painful.Very.

More to the point,how could I ever forget MC's fandom of Sheffield Wednesday ? <B.E.G.>
                  Last edited by Bagpuss; 29 July 2005, 01:46 PM. Reason: See ETA :

Comment

found this at www.yorkshirenet.co.uk

As part of its efforts to preserve the region's Yorkshire heritage, the Yorkshire Ridings Society established 'Yorkshire Day' on August 1st 1975.

The idea of a special day called 'Yorkshire Day' was to provide a focus for highlighting Yorkshire pride in the County. August 1st was chosen as it has special significance in the county's history. On August 1st 1759 soldiers, including some from Yorkshire regiments, who had fought in the battle of Minden, in Germany, picked white roses from nearby fields as a tribute to their fallen comrades.

Since then a number of Yorkshire regiments wear white roses on August 1st to commemorate the events of that day and heroic deeds of their Yorkshire ancestors.

--Tan

Comment

I've just got back from a couple of days walking in the ol' Yorkshire Dales, tis a fun and pretty place!
                      I'm not from yorkshire originally (I'm from o'er t'penines) but I'ver lived here the majority of me life and I think it's a bonny place to live!

Arik tree-ac te kek. Dal Shakka Mel!

Comment

All Clanger-teasing aside,Yorkshire is beautiful,imo.
                        *Sniffle* I've only visited once,for a few days hiking,years ago,but I plan to return for a proper holiday some fine day.

I was nosing around the web earlier today, and found quite a few really interesting links,about Yorkshire Day,history and B&B .
                        I wish I could remember where I went for B&B...best breakfast and hospitality ever !

This link gives much the same info as Tan's given,but if tha wants a pinbadge or other goodies in time for next year :
                        http://www.yorkshiredaydirect.com/
                        Last edited by Bagpuss; 30 July 2005, 08:26 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

I haven't actually gone yet, I'll be here until Tuesday when I head off on my jollies.

So, what do we do on Yorkshire day?

Fruitcake with Wensleydale, Yorkshire tea (black for me, strong enough to see the bottom of my - white china, Wedgewood, mug), and plenty of beer (Theakston's if you can get it) and Yorkshire pudding with onion gravy. mmmmmmmmmmmm

and more fruitcake with Wensleydale washed down with some more tea.

I'll be wearing my pin badge, and a sleeveless-t-shirt so everyone can see my Yorkshire rose tattoo, and my Sheffield Wednesday owl tattoo.

:-)

Oh and my Yorkshire mum and Yorkshire uncle will be with me.

sigpic

Comment

So,you're sorted for Monday,then, MC .

Mmmm..Wensleydale and fruit cake is delicious !
                            (All I could find,in my local supermarkets was Wensleydale with cranberries, or with peach and apricot bits.Not my kind of thing ,and hopeless with proper fruit cake,imo. )

My Mum used to serve Wensleydale with Christmas cake,and if I thought my lot'd eat it ,I'd have carried on that little tradition.

*Sigh*
                            If it doesn't have Golden Arches or flying birds on the box,they won't even try it.....
                            Last edited by Bagpuss; 30 July 2005, 11:10 AM.

Comment

I love Wensleydale with Cranberries. Also the Apricot & Ginger one.

But for pure epicurean pleasure, nothing beats Shepherd's Purse Wensleydale (at room temperature) with some dark fruit cake.
                              mmmmmmmmmm

Oh and who mentioned Ferret Legging? Having two Yorkshiremen in the house for the occasion, I have tried to interest them. No luck so far.

But it's not Monday yet...

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X