Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tired of bad sexual references on Stargate?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tired of bad sexual references on Stargate?

Does anyone else get tired of sexual references? Personally I love the show and the occasion use of one is not so bad . . .

But lately it seems to have become more common than it used to be.

The Sam/Pete episodes had well lots. The in bed stuff seemed more than a little out of the rest of the show.

The worst is by far Vala though. I think she would be a really interesting character . . . if she would stop spewing things about sex every five minutes. Maybe she is supposed to be the new "sexy female alien?", but it is much worse than any of the others that I can recall.

The references would not even be so bad . . . there have been many before, but hers just seems crude and inappropriate.

What does the rest of fandom think?
    13!!RED thinggies and counting . . . FUN!

okay now I do not actually want red thinggies but for some reason people like to give them to me . . .
    some people multiple times!;-)

it's a bit over the top.
    Daniel: You..stupid son of a *****
    Jack: Hey, you're welcome...

Comment

I dunno, I think it's a nice facet of Vala's character. As a Goa'uld she was most likely used to using her various minions for her pleasure. After she lost he symbiote she more than likely either retained some of its personality traits, or was just a bit unhinged as a result of the whole experience.

When I think about her character I think, yeah, she's power hungry and seeking instant gratification, plus she's nuts. She's playing the role just a notch below actually acting like a Goa'uld. I think it's an interesting angle to approach her character if you ask me.

Comment

Originally posted by Macharius0
        I dunno, I think it's a nice facet of Vala's character. As a Goa'uld she was most likely used to using her various minions for her pleasure. After she lost he symbiote she more than likely either retained some of its personality traits, or was just a bit unhinged as a result of the whole experience.

When I think about her character I think, yeah, she's power hungry and seeking instant gratification, plus she's nuts. She's playing the role just a notch below actually acting like a Goa'uld. I think it's an interesting angle to approach her character if you ask me.
        Okay Goa'ulds do not put sexual inuendos (sp.) even close to the amount that she does. Maybe her Goa'uld was just nuts . . .

If she is that influenced by her former symbiote though . . . then maybe we should kill her.
        Even if she is just nuts because of it . . .well if she was talking to walls over talking about sex then it would be different ;-).
        I do not see her as like a Goa'uld at all. She just seems like a child with her rudeness and meaness who learnt all about sex and now wants to show off her information.

We do not have to see Goa'ulds sexual comments, why should we have to deal with it from Vala?
        13!!RED thinggies and counting . . . FUN!

okay now I do not actually want red thinggies but for some reason people like to give them to me . . .
        some people multiple times!;-)

Comment

I personally have no problems at all with any sex talk, both irl and on TV. However I have a problem with all the damn romantic frell that has infested SG1.

Comment

well im glad to hear the soppy love affair of the season 8 episodes are a fleeting memory now season 9 gets back to the action the character interaction we saw in the earlier seasons as well as great storlines and enemies who are basicly evil without all the mystery and intracacies that came with them, anubis replicators etc...

as for sexual references i dont see that as a problem i mean well i see it all the time and maybe thats a strange place where i live but it hasent caused a problem to the extent that i would post a thread about it, come on get back to the fun side of stargate!
            For all the pollution woes on Earth, will the Human race end up taking those problems into space in the future?

We can all call our ships Sports Utility Ships to curtail the carbon emissions and hypersleep at night

Comment

Originally posted by Darkstar
              well im glad to hear the soppy love affair of the season 8 episodes are a fleeting memory now season 9 gets back to the action the character interaction we saw in the earlier seasons as well as great storlines and enemies who are basicly evil without all the mystery and intracacies that came with them, anubis replicators etc...
              Amen to that!!
              gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
              so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
              love Torri

Comment

The sexual references on Stargate PALE in comparison to just ONE ad for that stupid scifi show "Tripping the Rift". I was watching CBS last night and got a big ad for that particular drekky show. In fact, Scifi is blowing their budget advertising that, or BSG, but where are the SG ads on other channels?

But so far I'm okay with Vala as she's tame compared to other tv characters (particularly on sitcoms).

Comment

I felt that in Avalon part 1, there were at least two too many sexual references coming from Vala. Sometimes it seems that it is the easy way to go with dialog--it's harder to write smart dialog without reverting to the sexual references. I realize it's an adult show, but really, sometimes there is overkill.

And I totally agree--even a few seconds of Tripping the Rift is just dreadful. I feel like washing my eyes after seeing the stupid commercial.

I am so blessed! Cherriey made this cool sig; scarimor made this great Dr. Lee smilie and Spudster made another neat one Dr. Lee RULES!

Myn's fabulous twilight bark smilie:

Comment

i thought it was hilarious when vala as a supersoldier started hitting on daniel

Comment

Originally posted by Onlybluesocks

If she is that influenced by her former symbiote though . . . then maybe we should kill her.
                      don't joke about that.

the reason.....even on this board we have people that are incapable of separating actor from character.

Do i find vala annoying? sure. but just write her off and send her on her merry way. Anise her...banish her to the 'never to be seen again' character holding cell.
                      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by warmbeachbrat

And I totally agree--even a few seconds of Tripping the Rift is just dreadful. I feel like washing my eyes after seeing the stupid commercial.
                        yes, it is sad when you start comparing stargate to tripping the rift or American Pie

sexual humor can be fun, but not in the 'in your face' manner we've been treated to lately.

i know that some enjoy it. i tend to roll my eyes and make comments under my breath abuot immmature males and pass it by
                        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

LOL. but Tripping the Rift can be fun and hilarious when there's no sexual humor...but then again, that's rare.

a lot of sci-fi shows these days, i've noticed, have been become more raunchy and adding more sexual humor and references. Perfect example is Enterprise: thrid and fourth season had more nudity/sex scenes than the first two seasons. That show went down the drain really quick. SG-1's 8th season had a little bit more than usual, then I find out that Avalon, Pt. 1 has a lot!

SG-1, i think, can be considered a show that most ages can watch. Come on, I started watching this series 3 years ago and i'm 16 now (and a really big fan). Just hope that SG-1 or SGA doesn't turn to be as raunchy as Enterprise or for that matter Battlestar Galactica

EDIT: Just to add this. I stopped watching Battlestar Galactica in the middle of the season, cuz every single episode, someone had sex or Six would be seducing Gaius. I'm sorry but I'll stick with the older version of it.

Jack: Is mental illness contagious?
                          Daniel: This has been disturbing on many levels.
                          "Trandoshan eliminated...with extreme prejudice." - Scorch RC-1262
                          My deviantART profile

Comment

Hmmm, I never thought I'd see "sexual" and "bad" in the same sentence, outside of Sunday school. Will wonders never cease?
                            On fighting:
                            Farrah: "A swordsman does not fear death, if he dies with honor."
                            Dr. Who: "Then he's an idiot."

Comment

In this world?....probably not.

Jack: Is mental illness contagious?
                              Daniel: This has been disturbing on many levels.
                              "Trandoshan eliminated...with extreme prejudice." - Scorch RC-1262
                              My deviantART profile

Comment

Working...
                              X