• Show
Clear All

I really enjoyed this episode.

"Is he supposed to be naked like that?" lol
    ~Melanie

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
      The Asgard beaming technology is becoming an intense cop-out. As for why Shep was standing when he arrived... I think this isn't the first time something like this has happened, but it still doesn't make a lot of sense.
      Well...maybe there's a Vertical Hold option with the Asgard beam transporter.

They are more advance than we are.

(Heck, maybe they could use it to shave off Daniels' beard.)

Morjana

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
      SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
      Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by TheCorpulent1
        Everything's synched again. SGA was a month behind SG-1 but they've since caught back up to each other since Sheppard's apparently been a Lt. Col. for a month now.

Oh, I thought of something else I didn't like: Why the hell can't Sheppard figure out that he's supposed to answer when people call him the first time? Weir and Caldwell both had to snap him out of his stupor in the 302s by calling his name 3 times.

Uh...Sheppard was zoning off caught up in his flashback with Ford the first time in the F-302. The second time with McKay he had to get them back into radio range and I imagine he was a bit focused on the *Whoa...almost died again. Dang* thing.

Comment

To everyone who thinks Wier was too pushy in the flashback with Landry: is it not okay for Stargate's characters to have flaws? Is it not okay for people to get defensive when they feel threatened? I mean, seriously, you guys seem to expect these people to be a bunch of angels... I guess that's why so many don't like BSG...? Actual, real characters?

The F-302 dogfight was quite a nice effects sequence.

Also, the military have sweaters with their ranks on them? (Caldwell in the flashbacks)
          aka Nur-ab-sal

"It's not enough to survive. One has to be worthy of survival." -- William Adama

Comment

Originally posted by Redwall
            The F-302 dogfight was quite a nice effects sequence.

Also, the military have sweaters with their ranks on them? (Caldwell in the flashbacks)
            I agree about the dogfight...

Yes, all four branches of the military have sweaters upon which they wear their ranks on their shoulders. Air Force has the blue sweaters, Navy has the black (or navy blue) sweaters, and I think Army and Marines both use green sweaters. It is a very common uniform item. I dunno... maybe you have to have been around the military to know that.

I loved the Hermiod / Sheppard interaction... hope to see more.

Well, it would appear that Atlantis now has even more folks living there. Not only a larger military presence, but also a much larger scientific contingent. That is understandable though... the more scientist they have there researching the city, the faster they will be able to unlock the secrets that can save them, and help advance humanity.
            The success or failure of your deeds, does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed! Judge yourself by the intentions of your actions, and by the strength with which you faced the challenges that have stood in your way. The Universe is so vast, and we are so small, there is only truly one thing we can control; whether we are good or evil... -Oma Desala
            Spoiler:

To all the 'Sci & Tech' forum users: If you are searching for a thread about your topic of interest, please come visit our Concordance Thread. If you have any questions, we will attempt to help you.
            http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=26498

Feel free to pass the green..!

My Website... http://return-of-the-constitution.webs.com
            My Blog @ http://myhatsize.blogspot.com
            Amazing Literary Works of Fel... http://sennadar.com/wp/

Also, visit my webpage at... http://www.stargatesg1.com/Seastallion Sadly, this page is gone with the website that supported it, but I'll keep the link up in memorial.

Comment

I didn't have a problem with Weir's pushiness towards Landry, since it seemed like something she would do. I just wish there hadn't been that vague inkling that her defense of Shep was a little more personal than it should have been. *sigh* But maybe if I hadn't known that Joe & Paul wrote the ep, I wouldn't have been quite as uneasy about it.

Can't say I thought much of Landry, BTW. He reminds me of somebody's doddering uncle.

As far as Simon goes, I can sort of see his side of it, but it's still way too convenient for me that the only block between full-on Shep/Weir ship is now permanently removed.

I wonder if the actor is preparing for/involved in another role somewhere because that hair was a bit ridiculous, IMO, and while we've learned almost nothing about Simon, I would have thought him a little too tightly controlled to have hair like that. *shrug* Or maybe it's supposed to be symbolic of the fact that he's loosened up and let go of the past and is now living a little more on the wild side with this new girl of his.

Comment

Originally posted by Merlin7
                Uh...Sheppard was zoning off caught up in his flashback with Ford the first time in the F-302. The second time with McKay he had to get them back into radio range and I imagine he was a bit focused on the *Whoa...almost died again. Dang* thing.
                Those I could see, but come on, when he and McKay got into the F302 in the first place, just before the atmosphere vented? He's just sitting there with McKay while Caldwell frantically calls his name over the headset. Plus, the very fact that they used that schtick 2 or 3 times in this one episode is just weak in itself.
                Thornbird: I'm Major Robort Thornbird. And you are?
                Jack: Captain James T. Kirk of the starship Enterprise.
                Thornbird: Your dog tags say otherwise.
                Jack: ... They're lying.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCorpulent1
                  Those I could see, but come on, when he and McKay got into the F302 in the first place, just before the atmosphere vented? He's just sitting there with McKay while Caldwell frantically calls his name over the headset. Plus, the very fact that they used that schtick 2 or 3 times in this one episode is just weak in itself.
                  I felt the same way about that. There was absolutely no reason at all for Shep to wait EXCEPT for dramatic effect in the plot. Unless he was trying to count up all his parts again and was just really slow.

This ep had a LOT of repetition, even within itself. The main thought seemed to be, "Why use a trick once when you can use it three or four times?" The answer, of course, is that you only use a trick once because after that it's obvious it's a trick and instead of being clever it becomes tedious.

Comment

Originally posted by Redwall
                    Yep, it's not standard issue, but I think all services have a sweater with buttoned tabs to put rank shoulder boards on. I know the Army does.

I love this episode. Loved that Shep was thrown by Hermiod's appearance. You really can't expect everyone to be so nonchalant about the not-so-human looking aliens they meet for the first time. Loved McKay (of course) and his getting out-snarked by Hermiod. Loved the flashback scenes, especially Sheppards, and how they were intercut with the realtime action.

Wasn't so good with the opening mess scene. It did seem a bit forced and I was definately not happy with the glossing over of Sheppard's promotion. Not so thrilled with Caldwell locking up the civilians because he didn't get a chance to pick them. The background investigation required for that level of clearance is pretty exhaustive... I wasn't allowed just a Top Secret until they cleared the fact that my older sister was born in a foreign hospital. There would be no reason for him not to trust the new people.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                      I didn't have a problem with Weir's pushiness towards Landry, since it seemed like something she would do. I just wish there hadn't been that vague inkling that her defense of Shep was a little more personal than it should have been. *sigh* But maybe if I hadn't known that Joe & Paul wrote the ep, I wouldn't have been quite as uneasy about it.

Can't say I thought much of Landry, BTW. He reminds me of somebody's doddering uncle.

As far as Simon goes, I can sort of see his side of it, but it's still way too convenient for me that the only block between full-on Shep/Weir ship is now permanently removed.

I wonder if the actor is preparing for/involved in another role somewhere because that hair was a bit ridiculous, IMO, and while we've learned almost nothing about Simon, I would have thought him a little too tightly controlled to have hair like that. *shrug* Or maybe it's supposed to be symbolic of the fact that he's loosened up and let go of the past and is now living a little more on the wild side with this new girl of his.
                      *hands Shadow only-see-ship-if-you-want-to goggles*

I've heard this about Simon's hair and I'm thinking, mebbe he's having a mid-lifre crisis and is dating a young chick or something.. hence the strange hair.

Comment

This was a brilliant ep for me, absolutely loved every minute. It had a very good balance between character exposition (poor weir, may you find peace with shepaird ), ford's cousin, Torri taking charge, and then Caldwell with his "I did'nt have any say in there selection" to shut down weir and lock down the scientists.

And the asgard. And the omg dood out of airlock (perhaps some people will come rescue him in 1000 years, and we can have 3001: A stargate odyessy. And the "dogfight" which was cool (including the good ole top gun "airbrake" manourver).

I did'nt really have any negative points, aside from slight nitpicking, the aforementioned not shooting down plane that's MOVING ON IT'S OWN, and I can deal with the 1st transport, although during the end part, I expected McKay to say "We are ready for Site-To-Site transport, Energize" or something.

Was a very good balance of humour, character and story development, as well as a good episode on it's own. Kudos to the writers, crew, actors etc.

Advice For The New Millenium: A watched torrent never downloads.

Comment

I'm just posting without reading all the other messages -sheesh there's five pages already. Ya'll been very busy.

I thought this was a very solid episode. Enjoyed it a lot and the hour flew by. Yeah it had similarities to "Entity" but was about a jillion times better than that episode. And I liked that they "harkened" back to that experience and then added some twists and turns. Good mix of action and humor.

Things I loved:

*Weir fighting for the team she wanted and for Shep to stay in command. I actually really loved Weir in this episode - she's come a long way from the character I saw in the first half of S1 and for the first time I really see her as the leader of this group. I always had trouble believing she had the adventurer's spirit in her but I'm starting to buy it now.

*Caldwell. I'm also really enjoying the new dynamic that Caldwell is bringing to the mix. I think it helps establish more of a bond between the "original" group. I think he's also very believable as the commander of the Daedalus.

*Hermiod. Is there anything funnier than a snarky Asgard? I don't think so. And Shep's facial antics when he was talking to McKay about Hermie were priceless. Joe made me laugh out loud in that scene.

*Special effects. They weren't quite as extensive and impressive as Seige II and III but the F302 dogfights were quite good.

*Shep/Weir. Hate to say it but I'm enjoying this dynamic. It reminds me of the way I used to like Sam/Jack in the first three seasons. You knew they were forming a good bond but whether it was more than friendship was left open to interpretation. Of course the comparison gives me the heebie-jeebies since I grew to really dislike what they did with the S/J ship. Oh well - enjoying it for now and hoping the writers have learned from their SG-1 experience.

*Story continuity. I really like how they're building on the events of Seige III and remembering that Ford is still out there. The scene between Shep and Ford's cousin was a nice touch.

*Shep/McKay. They are just so funny together at times. Especially enjoyed the outing in the F302.

Things I didn't like:

*McKay being too much of a weenie at times. You know McKay has really grown as a character since S1 but they still have a tendency to make him too much of a woobie/screw-up at times. Last week it was the clip falling out of the gun. This week he scrunched over protecting the family jewels before they beamed him up. It was a wee bit silly considering all he's been thru in the last year.

*Teyla. I'm still having trouble with her. *sigh* I'd really like to warm up to her some more. Looking forward to next week's episode in the hopes the new cast member will bring out a side of her I like.

*Simon/Weir breakup was an eye-roller. Well you knew it was coming - Voyager did the same thing to "free up" Janeway for new relationships. Still, all rather predictable. Although frankly I would have run the other way as soon as I saw Simon's hair.

So - way to go writers, director and producers of Atlantis. Two episode in a row I enjoyed. In fact I may have even liked Intruder more than Siege III, surprisingly.
                          Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Comment

Originally posted by derrickh
                            To understand Simon, put yourself in his shoes.His supersmart kinda hot girlfriend leaves him to go on a trip that she can't tell him about. Then she sends him a message saying, 'Get on with your life'. He sees this and says WTF? "I've been waiting for months and then I get a Dear John letter?" Simon may not be the best looking guy, but he's a big time doctor, which gives him a few extra points on the eligibility scale. Getting dumped is probably new to him.
                            My problem with Simon here is that he didn't come clean with Weir immediately. It seemed to me he was just stalling by saying he hadn't decided to go or not, and of course, delaying the inevitable hurt he would cause her by telling her he was involved with someone else.

Elizabeth sent Simon a 'move on with your life' message in Letters from Pegasus when she thought she'd be killed in Atlantis, or perhaps never able to return even if she survived. Well, he took her at her word. But then, she showed up again and things were obviously warm and friendly between them. That would have been the time to say "Wait, we can't just pick up where we left off." Elizabeth's not dumb. She would have picked up on signals if he'd not been so deceptive about why he was stalling his decision on going to Atlantis. She can't feel hurt about him not waiting for her, because she told him to. But she'd feel right to feel hurt about his not being upfront and honest with her.

He's a very qualified physician and researcher and she's a diplomat and now an intergalactic explorer. Making relationships work between two high achieving people who are dedicated to their careers is often quite difficult. Add in the factor of intergalactic distances and it's pretty much an impossible thing to do.
                            ~*~*~*~*~*
                            not so ancient

http://www.sloganizer.net/en/style4,...pc-ancient.png
                            http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...thejourney.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...thejourney.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...thejourney.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...thejourney.jpg

PLEASE donate to the American Red Cross for Hurricane Disaster Relief ~ My LJ ~ My Disclaimer ~ A Mitch Pileggi Discussion Group

Comment

Can someone explain something to me, please? There was a scene where Weir and Caldwell were talking and I thought she made some comment about him being in command and it wasn't the one he wanted, but the flashback that followed it seemed to indicate that his being in command was part of the plans all along.

Or was he planning to transfer to Atlantis proper and lead there, allowing someone else to be in charge of the Daedalus?

Either I missed something or I misunderstood that entire section.

I thought McKay's hunching down thing was funny at first, but it's obvious that the "slight delay" in transport was just an excuse to leave Hewlett hunched up and looking silly. I'd have found it a little more likely if he'd gotten impatient and straightened up to complain only to get transported mid-snark.

The ammo clip last week also seemed in keeping as McKay doesn't have a lot of familiarity with guns. That was true last season as well. HOWEVER, after all he's been through and knowing how much he hates appearing stupid, I have a hard time believing that he hasn't taken any time to properly familiarize himself with common guns/weaponry. And for some reason I keep remembering Unnatural Selection and Jack making Jonas disassemble/reassemble his weapon over and over and over (complete with Jonas's complaint about getting blisters).

Comment

"Loved McKay (of course) and his getting out-snarked by Hermiod"

Now this is a great idea ... someone really smarter then McKay, with a wise-arsh tude and not afraid to show it. BTW, if the Asguard are naked, just what type of clothing would Sheppard want on them? Pink/Yellow beach Tommy Bahama shirt with shorts and flip-flops .... Teal'c been there already.

I would suggest they have skintight bio suit, but that at some time (just for giggles) Sheppard comes across the suit in the locker room. And in the background we have Hermiod laughing.
                                The very young, do not always do what they are told.

"To me, my board" - Silver Surfer

Comment

Working...
                                X