No announcement yet.

Fragged (203)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This episode not as good? Say what? *Tosses fluffy kittens at Liebestraume and Kes *

Another excellent episode. Not quite as hectic or grabbing as the previous two, but still great nonetheless. It moved the story along and had great characterization. I’m glad they went ahead and focused on Kobol and resolved that particular storyline. Not that I didn’t think they did a fine job with that subplot, but I think it had run its course.

I was guessing someone else was going to die before they got off that planet, but I refused to make a guess since I didn’t want anyone to. Guess I should have known it would be Crashdown since the title of the episode was “Fragged”. Kind of a dead giveaway there now that I think about it……… Poor Crashdown. I almost felt like shedding a tear for him when Baltar killed him. I liked Crash. I just hate how they made him into a complete SOB and had him wack out at the end like that. He and Tigh reached their breaking points tonight.

Jeez I’m not sure if Tigh could have possibly had anymore to drink than he did tonight. Though I guess I can’t blame him. If put in his position, it would probably drive me to the bottle as well. This man really does not crave power (obviously Crashdown didn’t crave power either, he just didn’t have the luxury of a bottle). When Adama wakes up, all hell is going to come down on Tigh. I wouldn’t be surprised if Adama relives him of duty till he can get himself together even though Tigh is a critical asset when it comes to defending the ship and the fleet.

I just love to hate Ellen Tigh.

Tyrol was great throughout this whole time on Kobol as were all the secondary characters including the poor redshirts. I love how this show is not confined to just the main credit characters. These secondary characters are as equally interesting and “real” as the main characters, and I never once though “let’s get off these people and get back to the Lee or Starbuck, etc. storyline”. After seeing the long preview commercial on NBC after they aired BSG a couple of weeks ago, Tyrol doesn’t look like he’s heading back to Galactica for some much needed R&R. They had a “Saving Private Ryan” moment there at the end with Tyrol hopelessly shooting at the Cylons and then boom! with Lee swooping in to make the kill. Took me a while to think of what movie that came from since it seemed so familiar.

Hehe. Cally's reason for joining the military: to pay for dental school. I love those little touches. She's a great character and *gasp* she's a woman. These writers really have the ability to write well developed women characters rather than stereotypes.

Even though Lee was kind of a side note in this episode, he had some great lines directed at Tigh when they were in CIC. Heh. I wonder if Tigh even heard him when Lee sarcastically said back to him something to the fact that well “this is the sh*t that comes with being in command of a battlestar”. I can’t remember what the exact line was though. Where’s a transcript when you need one…….. Ah, found it on another message board. "Demanding job. Commanding a battlestar." Loved that little snark from him.

Originally posted by Liebestraume
    Baltar's experience on Kobol will surely make him a much more formidable foe. He had never fired a gun before, and the idea of taking lives obviously repulsed him. Yet he was the only one who pulled the trigger on his own people (because, frankly, I doubt Crashdown would have pulled the trigger on Cally, as crazed as he seemed). What he did probably saved all of their lives, but I suspect the only one on his mind was his own. I never thought he had that much "guts" in him -- don't know if I should be pleasantly surprised or seriously disturbed.
    Great thoughts. I’m pretty sure Baltar was acting purely out of self-preservation. He didn’t care about the others when he shot Crash. Hadn’t Six already told him that what happened on Kobol was not god’s concern thus kind of implying that Baltar was not really under Six’s or god’s protection. That it was in fact possible that he could die on Kobol even though he had been deemed “an instrument of god.” Even his “nice” act of painting Crash as a hero and not as someone who had just fallen apart and disgraced himself on Kobol was probably not what it seemed. Baltar probably didn’t want to have to face questioning as to why he shot him, etc. On the outside it seemed like a way to preserve Crashdown’s character as an honorable man and that’s why Tyrol went along with Baltar, but I think Baltar had other reasons for saying what he did.

Now that Baltar has killed, I think it is rather disturbing because now that he has done it, he might not have many qualms about doing it again. That’s why he needs to be watched like a hawk because I wouldn’t put it past him to try and kill Adama after his dream.

Six to Baltar: “I’ll be your conscience.” *shudder*

I can’t wait for next week’s.
    Last edited by LoneStar1836; 30 July 2005, 09:28 AM.
    IMO always implied.

Comment

Originally posted by LoneStar1836:
      I just love to hate Ellen Tigh.
      I think she's really a cylon... Baltar never *really* revealed the truth about her.

Laura, President Roslin... wow! great performance there. Is the cancer spreading to her brain, or is that a side effect from the medicine she's on?

Tigh... I thought I liked him... Not so sure any more.

Zarak... I was amazed that he really looked a bit awed by the whole President Laura Roslin being a dying prophet scenario. Not that I really care, but I wonder which way the wind will turn in his mind now, based on this new info...

Personally, I really like "Chief" and Kelly. I liked Chief's emotional decision torments, when he had to deal with the major fire scene on Galactica in early of Season 1. He represents the heart of a true fireman, during and after rescue missions go well or astray.

Anyway, for the other short scene times that Kelly and "Chief" do get, I think both of them give more heart and soul into what's happening, yet are overshadowed by the bigger names like Starbuck and Adama storylines. Gosh, if Crashdown shot either one of them, that'd really be the end of an intense storyline.
      ========

...anyway, TPTB brought back that awful violin music in their preview commercials. I liked the dramatic drum version much better. It fit the intensity of what the program is currently about. Of course, someone else might argue that the violin version personifies the dramatic soap opera-nish effects... *sigh* can't have everything right.

Comment

I could tell Crashdown had lost it after he told the chief he needed to calm down. I think it was Post Traumatic Stress. When he was giving the graphs it really felt like he was rehearsing it more for himself than anyone else there. He was completely in panick mode and not in a good leadership position. A leader emits confidence and direction. If anyone was the leader, it was Chief, unfortunately Crashdown outranked him.
        I honestly felt if Baltar had not fragged him, the Chief would have. Cally and chief had been through too much and she was one of his people. I've seen this kind of thing before where a change in plans at the last minute upsets the whole board for the planner and the only rationale in not changing the plan is because he had already made this plan and it was going to be followed out regardless of right or wrong. It was a stupid plan from the beginning. They all would have perished.
        As for Tigh? I am really mystified. I thought I had a grip on his character. I actually kind of enjoyed his blustering hard-assness up until this. He's gone completely over the deep end. Wanting to lock up everybody, yelling profanities at the top of his voice, What rescue operation? answering the phone obviously drunk. I felt for him when he talked to the old man saying he'd really frakked things up for him, but then he up and makes it even worse!? I think were missing a scene there or something which drives him to martial law. I'm missing something. I honestly felt the right thing for him to have done would have been to release Roslin and restore her presidency after her prophetic announcement and declaration that she was dieing. Prison is no place for a dieing President.
        What are they trying to do? Drive him off the show? Between him and his wife he has no business being second in command. What if Adama HAD died? At this point the character has very little redeeming value. I keep hoping we get to see the other side of Tigh that Adama sees, but it never happens. Despite wanting to believe Tigh is a good guy he starts acting goofy drunk with a gold-digging, manipulative, adulterous wife that can't be trusted, (that when this is all over needs to be either jettisoned out a cargo bay or sent packing back to the rising star)arguing and bickering with every character on the ship, even Adama himself, and an excellent candidate for Fragging.
        It almost seems like the writers are TRYING to make you dislike him.
        Just when I think I got Tigh figured out to the point of likeability, they throw him completely out of character to the extreme point that every character in the show and even the audience view him with distain. I thought I had my finger on him and it is so frustrating when I just throw my hands in the air and exclaim 'Who knows'. I give up trying to figure him out.
        And Lee, with the standoff between the president and Tigh, I wouldn't doubt at all that Adama will or was going to reduce him in rank, brig time or perhaps even busting him out of the service (except for the their need of good pilots). I'm talking severe punishment.
        But I do think that Lee was right, that when Adama does awake it's going to be something like 'You did what? What the hell have you done?!' To the point that niether one of them is fit to wear the uniform. I think they'll both get busted. As for Roslin, I have no idea why Cmdr. Adama felt he could just up and terminate a Presidency. That is the sin which led to all this other felgercarb.
        But alak and alas maybe my idea of President and their's is different. The system I am accustomed to is that the President is the Commander in Chief and Adama's superior. They reached a summit where Adama is responsible for the military operations. But this is one of those grey areas I guess. Him and her need to talk, but to just terminate a Presidency and government?

Wow, that was long.

Comment

Originally posted by keshou
          You know - even a subpar episode of BSG still rocks. Best show of the night.
          Absolutely, and entirely because -- as you said -- the superb characterization for even the periphery characters.

Originally posted by LoneStar1836
          I almost felt like shedding a tear for him when Baltar killed him. I liked Crash. I just hate how they made him into a complete SOB and had him wack out at the end like that.
          I too had developed a serious dislike for Crashdown in VoD but somehow mustered a lot of sympathy for him in the end. He never seemed that bright and, more importantly, was not prepared for command. Seeing his valiant attempt at shouldering that responsibility was quite heartbreaking (especially when he was going through those 5 "graphs").

When Adama wakes up, all hell is going to come down on Tigh. I wouldn’t be surprised if Adama relives him of duty till he can get himself together even though Tigh is a critical asset when it comes to defending the ship and the fleet.
          That's a really interesting point. In a way, Adama's responsiblity for this mess went beyond the "coup." He was solely responsible for putting Tigh in that command position, while (I am sure) being a shrewed enough observer of Tigh's distain for civillians (and his ineptitude in dealing with them). I love the Old Man, but he's got something thinkin' to do once he comes around.

Hehe. Cally's reason for joining the military: to pay for dental school. I love those little touches.
          That was just so cute. And so human, making a commitment without being prepared for what that commitment actually entails. Guess that could be said for the lot of them.

Even though Lee was kind of a side note in this episode, he had some great lines directed at Tigh when they were in CIC.
          ... and he cleaned up so good!

Originally posted by Zinfer
          Between [Tigh] and his wife he has no business being second in command. What if Adama HAD died? At this point the character has very little redeeming value. I keep hoping we get to see the other side of Tigh that Adama sees, but it never happens.
          Perhasps it did happen. IMHO Tigh had been quite competent on the military side of the affairs in the last two episodes, all things considered. He just never seemed to have an understanding of and healthy respect for democracy. Under their "normal" circumstances, this probably wouldn't have mattered too much ...

... guess none of them was prepared for the annihilation of their civilization.
          In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane. ~ Oscar Wilde

Comment

There still one lingering question...

Where's the podcast?
            Signature oversized: Click to view.

Comment

Every time I think that things can’t get worse for the Colonials, the writers up the ante. This time, it’s all about the interplay of the plot threads on Galactica and Kobol. As situations go completely downhill, it’s all about how fortunes change, present and future. Tigh’s decisions lead to Roslin’s unexpected return to power as a spiritual leader and another step towards a conflict between religious and warrior factions, which is always a lot of fun. Meanwhile, Crashdown’s inevitable loss of perspective leads to a disturbing consequence involving Baltar.

I suppose it was inevitable that Tigh would return to his drinking, and it sure as hell doesn’t help him make better decisions! It’s not very helpful that the entire crew seems to know that he’s losing stability, thanks to his past history, and that they don’t feel like they can do anything about it. After all, what would they do? They’re already reeling from the loss of Adama’s strong and consistent leadership. There’s really no one else that they could rally support behind, is there?

Except Roslin, of course, and that’s the problem. Tigh has never respected Roslin, and apparently, he respects the whole idea of the Scrolls of Phylia even less. But when people are seeking a sense of direction, religious leaders are particularly compelling. Roslin also knows the value of when to claim some kind of foretold authority. She truly believes herself to be the instrument of the Lords of Kobol, and what’s more, the Quorum of Twelve believes her.

So Adama basically threw down the gauntlet, because the “religious leader” compelled one of his warriors to defy orders. The response was the assumption of total control by Adama, who was then the victim of a brutal attempt on his life by the enemy. Now the reversal of fortune is in play: Roslin is regaining a purpose and political strength, while the military leadership struggles to retain control. Tigh is simply not Roslin’s equal, and so rather than convince others of the strength of his political stance, he seeks to impose his will.

While Roslin believes that she is following the Lords of Kobol, Baltar continues to operate under the impression that he is the instrument of God. Of course, he has no idea what God wants of him, other than the fact that he is meant to embrace the more violent aspects of his humanity. This is perhaps indicative of how the Cylons think, but that’s not necessarily a given. It’s what Six wants Baltar to hear, and that’s about all I get out of it.

Whatever the case, the question I have in my mind is how Baltar’s ongoing conversion is going to be used to support Roslin or transform her message into something that will benefit the Cylons. If Six is not speaking for the rest of the Cylons, then it’s even more of a blurred picture. It feels like Baltar is being honed into an instrument, a willing strike at the heart of the Colonials. Beyond that, there’s still a lot of story to be told before motivations are likely to be clarified.

If Ellen Tigh is a Cylon, as strongly hinted in the first season, then it makes sense that she would want her husband to take control. He’s so far out of his depth that his “leadership” would be catastrophic. Undermining Roslin was her apparent goal (and that once again suggests that Baltar is being groomed to pervert or subvert her message). How much worse would it be if she turned out to be simply human, indulging some love of chaos?

The end of the struggle on Kobol came together quite nicely. I never expected things to get quite so intense, but then, I suppose I should have known better. I really believed that Crashdown would shoot Kally right then and there! I love how things get out of hand, even within the structure of a rather predictable resolution. I expected the Colonials to save the SAR team at the last possible moment, and for the Raptors to arrive when all seemed lost. It’s how the writers managed to sneak in a little doubt that made the episode for me.

With the Kobol situation more or less over, I expect that the next episode will actually bring an update of the situation on Caprica. The prophecies related to the Arrow and the Temple were mentioned again, so clearly that’s something that will continue to unfold. And then there’s the timetable suggested by Roslin’s admission of impending death. If she is the foretold leader, then she’s got very little time to point the Colonials towards Earth. My bet is that the entire season will be the process of getting to that part of the tale.

Comment

Though I don't quite understand why he covered up for Baltar at the end, somehow it was consistent with his characterization.
                He probably doesn't want everyone to remember Crashdown as the 'The crazy pilot who nearly shot Cally'. Crashdown was a good guy, someone the Cheif probably respected, just in way over his head and not being able to handle the pressure. Which is why he went a bit whacko at the end there.
                Covering it up keeps Crashdown's reputation intact - something that's probably important to the other pilots. Considering how many they've lost in a short time (Starbuck's AWOL, Boomer's a Cylon, Apollo is under house arrest, not to mention the deaths in combat in the past few days) they dont really need any more blows to their morale.

Comment

Wow, it is wonderful to finally find a group do discuss BSG! I absolutely LOVE the show and look forward to each new episode.
                  I have read all of the posts about Fragged, and I agree that although it isn't the best episode, it is still a very good episode. All of the posts pretty much answered my questions except for one. How did Six know what was going to happen? She accurately predicted that someone would turn against everyone else. Is she a prophet? Can she see predict the future of humans?

BooDooSy

Comment

Yes, definitely one of the best shows on TV
                    And I also agree, I enjoyed the first two eps more, but that doesn't mean I thought this ep was horrible - some really impressive character development. Part of me was just screaming at Tryol to whack Crashdown on the head and take command, clearly Crashdown had no business being in command - but then again, how accurately does that reflect the real military.....

Yes, love to hate Ellen, and Tigh for that matter too, a barely decent human being - I'm starting to get itchy for Adama to get back into, he's been out 3 eps already (yeah, yeah, shot in chest, life in balance, acceptable excuse I guess ).

I missed Kara and Helo on Caprica, about half way thru I was wanting to see what was up with them, hopefully we get more next week to balance it. Also we haven't seen Galactica Sharon this week (was she on last week either ??).

I'm all for democracy etc, but it seems to me that this is hardly the time to have 12 people with god(s) knows what backgrounds running things - the sadistic side of me says "frak the civilians, if they don't want Galactica in charge, then fine, let's see how far they get without their protection...." (the rational voice in me points out that given the current circumstances which could last for years it makes sense to maintain a civilian elected government - especially if the other option is Tigh in charge ).

Yet again they're reflecting parts of own society back to us - when the "people" are involved, chances are you won't end up with the "democracy" you think you should. The question is how far are you willing to go to ensure that it's what you THINK it should be, or do you trust that people (with a few religious fanatics thrown in) to do what's best.... I don't know....

Comment

I'm starting to get itchy for Adama to get back into, he's been out 3 eps already

I think it'll be a while before Adama comes back at full strength. You don't just split someone open, crack open their chest, use chest spreaders, massage their heart, remove their spleen and tie up God knows what else and expect them to jump right up out of bed and resume command.
                      Whenever chest spreaders are used it's a long and painful recovery time.
                      And as the Doc was saying, it was a mess in there after the pharmacist performed the first surgery.

I don't think Ellen is a Cylon. But she's always a dark influence. Definitely hungry for power. If you'll recall she was even after Tom Zerek in his rise to power. But it is interesting that he asked her about a 'friend' of his and shortly thereafter that 'friend' turned up dead. She is a real instigator between Tigh and Adama. It'd be nice if they'd finally wrap up 'Colonial Day' with who the killer was. I think the only motivating power in her being so interested in seeing the downfall of Roslin as she very clearly suggested and 'instigated' Tigh to bring the Quarum and the press to Roslin at her percieved weakest was so that Tigh would be in full charge and control of the fleet. Although what he'd do with it after that is beyond me in his constant inebriated and intoxicated state. I can't believe anyone would actually have to smell his breath, he'd just wreak of it all the time.
                      The thing that puzzles me is that Lee Adama had said in the previous episode way before Tigh had 'frakked things up' that the Commander would deal with the both of them. I thought that was a little out of place. It'd make more sense had it been said now. When Lee said it, I kind of took it like, well your the one with the cuffs on, in the brig, pointed a gun at your superiors' head, and threatening the life of a superior officer, your rear end is in the fire, not Tigh's-who was following orders the entire time. But had that comment been made NOW it would make sense. Tigh announced to the Quarum that Adama hated and would never declare martial law. Tigh understood throughout the last two episodes that it was the old mans' ship and his last orders and wishes are the Gods' while he was still alive. Then in practically the next scene Tigh then does exactly that. Declares Marial Law. Wierd.

Comment

Originally posted by boodoosy
                        Wow, it is wonderful to finally find a group do discuss BSG! I absolutely LOVE the show and look forward to each new episode. {snip} How did Six know what was going to happen? She accurately predicted that someone would turn against everyone else. Is she a prophet? Can she see predict the future of humans?

BooDooSy
                        Welcome to the board.

Six more or less planted the idea in Baltar’s head that someone would turn on the others. She didn’t say who. So Baltar took this, being the self-preservationist he is, to mean that this person could endanger his life. So as soon as Crash pulled the gun on Cally, Baltar probably just figured it was he whom Six was warning of and thus made the decision to shoot him. I’m not quite so sure she “knows” what is going to happen but rather she is manipulating Baltar's thoughts and action in order to produce the desired outcome.

You could make the argument that it was actually Baltar that turned on the rest of them. I mean he shot Crash in the back thus drawing the Centurions’ attention. I’m not really sure if Crash would have actually shot Cally. I’d like to hope that he would not have because you could see the anguish on his face. He was practically crying. (That will be another reason I’ll miss Crash cause I liked that actor. He was really good in these past 3 eps.) I’ll defend Crash because I do think that the missile battery did need to be taken out otherwise the Raptors would have been shot down, but he lost all reason in not taking Tyrol’s suggestion of taking out the dradis dish instead when there was a possibility that it was unguarded. Though actually they should have gone after the dradis dish in the first place because it only had two guards rather than three. I guess maybe there was the possibility that the missiles could still be aimed manually.

Originally posted by Zinfer
                        The thing that puzzles me is that Lee Adama had said in the previous episode way before Tigh had 'frakked things up' that the Commander would deal with the both of them. I thought that was a little out of place. It'd make more sense had it been said now. When Lee said it, I kind of took it like, well your the one with the cuffs on, in the brig, pointed a gun at your superiors' head, and threatening the life of a superior officer, your rear end is in the fire, not Tigh's-who was following orders the entire time. But had that comment been made NOW it would make sense.
                        I think Lee made that comment because it is well known that Tigh is a drunk. Thus he really is unfit to wear the uniform because he can’t control his drinking and the last thing you need is a drunk XO on duty. Commander Adama and the crew of the Galactica more or less overlook that liability because Tigh is valuable when it comes to military matters.

Had to grin when Dee gave the little drinky-drinky sign to Gaeta who rolled his eyes when she was talking to a wasted Tigh on the phone.

Yes, I want my Adama back as well. But after what just happened to him, he'll probably be laid up for most of the first half of the season. Just a guess.
                        Last edited by LoneStar1836; 31 July 2005, 08:02 AM.
                        IMO always implied.

Comment

I think Lee made that comment because it is well known that Tigh is a drunk. Thus he really is unfit to wear the uniform because he can’t control his drinking and the last thing you need is a drunk XO on duty. Commander Adama and the crew of the Galactica more or less overlook that liability because Tigh is valuable when it comes to military matters.
                          Now you start me (over)thinking again, I wonder if there is another layer to this.

Tigh is very loyal to The Old Man. He dutifully carries out Adama's orders, makes sure the ship operates smoothly, and generally keeps everyone in line. Plus he very valuable for all things military. All that makes him an excellent XO in the traditional sense.

But Lee has a very progressive mind, so he may consider Tigh's blind faith in Adama a liability -- rather than an asset -- to The Old Man. It could be argued that a second-in-command has the additional responsibility of being the conscience, the voice of reason when the judgment of the commander becomes impaired.

I can see that happening here. Though a strategic, rational man, Adama does let emotion overrun his better judgment when "family" is involved. We saw ample evidence of that in You Can't Go Home Again, and (I think) that's what drove him to dispose of Roslin in KLG. It should have been Tigh's responsibility to advise against it, but he never even tried. In that sense, he was indeed unfit for the position of XO.

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
                          He probably doesn't want everyone to remember Crashdown as the 'The crazy pilot who nearly shot Cally'. Crashdown was a good guy, someone the Cheif probably respected, just in way over his head and not being able to handle the pressure. Which is why he went a bit whacko at the end there.
                          Covering it up keeps Crashdown's reputation intact - something that's probably important to the other pilots. ...
                          I agree. But, by so doing, Tyrol just truck a deal with the devil (so to speak). That uncomfortable secret between all of them is going to have ramifications down the road.

And those little non-verbal exchange between Tyrol and Baltar as well as the dialogue were just brilliant. In a way, they both lied without outright lying.
                          In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane. ~ Oscar Wilde

Comment

But Lee has a very progressive mind, so he may consider Tigh's blind faith in Adama a liability -- rather than an asset -- to The Old Man. It could be argued that a second-in-command has the additional responsibility of being the conscience, the voice of reason when the judgment of the commander becomes impaired.

I can see that happening here. Though a strategic, rational man, Adama does let emotion overrun his better judgment when "family" is involved. We saw ample evidence of that in You Can't Go Home Again, and (I think) that's what drove him to dispose of Roslin in KLG. It should have been Tigh's responsibility to advise against it, but he never even tried. In that sense, he was indeed unfit for the position of XO.
                            I knew Lee considered Tigh to be unfit - certainly because of his alcoholism. But that he expects Tigh to be a sounding board and blames some of Adama's bad command decisions on Tigh could well be true. Certainly Tigh - a different Tigh, to be sure - could have guided Adama in a different direction when they chose to oust Roslin. Unfortunately Tigh isn't a "different" voice, he's just a flawed second in command who shouldn't have even risen that high in rank.

The question in my mind is what is Adama going to do when he wakes up. What will he think of Tigh's actions, the declaration of martial law? I think Adama will totally back Tigh. I think the rift between Adama and Lee will widen.

Originally posted by Lonestar
                            *snip lots of good stuff* I’m not really sure if Crash would have actually shot Cally. I’d like to hope that he would not have because you could see the anguish on his face. He was practically crying. (That will be another reason I’ll miss Crash cause I liked that actor. He was really good in these past 3 eps.) I’ll defend Crash because I do think that the missile battery did need to be taken out otherwise the Raptors would have been shot down, but he lost all reason in not taking Tyrol’s suggestion of taking out the dradis dish instead when there was a possibility that it was unguarded. Though actually they should have gone after the dradis dish in the first place because it only had two guards rather than three. I guess maybe there was the possibility that the missiles could still be aimed manually.
                            I find it hard to defend Crash. He was right about the missile battery needing to be taken out but the plan of taking on the Cylons head-on was so doomed to failure that it made no sense. Crash was military guy who went to officer's training school and never spent a day in the field in practical combat. Way over his head. He made mistake after mistake and he knew it. If he'd bothered to consult with the more experienced combat guy (Tyrol) as they went along they might could have come up with some sort of diversion plan that might have actually worked. Instead Crash risked everyone because of his ego. And he totally lost it at the end.

The actor who played Crash did a great job. And I love that they're willing to tell these type of stories. Great stuff. Reminds me of Band of Brothers or something. And that's a compliment of course.
                            Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Comment

Now you start me (over)thinking again, I wonder if there is another layer to this.

Tigh is very loyal to The Old Man. He dutifully carries out Adama's orders, makes sure the ship operates smoothly, and generally keeps everyone in line. Plus he very valuable for all things military. All that makes him an excellent XO in the traditional sense.

Hey, I like that even better than the obvious reason I gave.

That can be a liability if Tigh does blindly follow Adama, which apparently he does the majority of the time. He did question Adama’s decisions in You Can’t Go Home Again though, but I’ve yet to see him forcefully challenge decisions he knew were wrong. They had this little conversation in You Can’t Go Home Again, but obviously Adama just brushed him off and Tigh backed down like a scolded dog every time.
                              Adama: Are these figures correct?
                              Gaeta: Yes, sir, atmospheric ops mean that Viper and Raptor engines have to run continuously. Fuel's gonna be a real problem if we keep it up.
                              Adama: Any report from the civilian ships?
                              Tigh: Nothing. They're spread pretty far out. We're gonna have a hell of a time trying to cover them if the Cylons pop in. We should consider pulling the civvies into a defensible formation.
                              Adama: No... keep all the ships on the search. We've left enough people behind. I don't wanna leave Starbuck behind.
                              Tigh: I'm just saying, committing the entire fleet to this search-
                              Adama: I said no! We're gonna find our missing pilot! And we're gonna bring her home. We leave no one behind. Resume your duties.
                              And a later conversation:
                              Gaeta: Here's the photo mosaic for the area we've searched so far.
                              Adama: We gotta do better than this.
                              Tigh: Can't see very far when you're hugging the ground.
                              Apollo: You can't see anything at all from altitude, not to mention the crap in the air that keeps screwing up our ships. 13 Vipers down for repairs.
                              Adama: We need more eyes.
                              Tigh: Yeah, where you gonna get 'em?
                              Apollo: Pull the CAP.
                              Tigh: What?
                              Apollo: Redeploy the combat air patrol to the search.
                              Tigh: Bad idea, the CAP is the fleet's only defense. If all our Vipers are frakin' around on the moon when the Cylons come calling, we're maggot meat.
                              Apollo: Well, then bring the fleet closer to the moon. We can always scramble the Vipers from the search to meet any attack.
                              Tigh: You gotta be kidding.
                              Apollo: Bottom line: we can double the area we can search in the time we have left.
                              Tigh: Starbuck would be the first one to tell you not to do this.
                              Apollo: Nothing would make you happier would it? Leave her behind, get rid of the foul-mouthed insubordinate pilot that keeps challenging your authority.
                              Tigh: You are way out of line, mister, I'm not the one confusing personal feelings with duty.
                              Apollo: Oh, yeah? What the hell does that mean?
                              Tigh: It means you are way too close to this because she is your friend-
                              Adama: Gentlemen! We have work to do. Captain, get as many birds up in the air as you can and you find our girl.
                              Apollo: You got it.
                              And an even later conversation….I might as well quote the whole episode ……It’s interesting to go back and read this stuff now.
                              Gaeta: Blue flight reports bingo fuel, sir.
                              Adama: Have them stay on the search. Send the tanker to them. Is there a problem, Mr. Gaeta?
                              Gaeta: It's just that trying to tank in that turbulence, sir, will be extremely hairy. I suggest we wait until the clock has run down and then tank them up on the way back to Galactica.
                              Adama: Did someone call them back to Galactica?
                              Gaeta: I just assumed-
                              Adama: ...the search was over? That it was hopeless? That we should write Starbuck off as dead? Is that what you're telling me, Mr. Gaeta?
                              Gaeta: No, sir.
                              Adama: Then what are you trying to tell me, Mr. Gaeta? You have your orders.
                              Gaeta: Yes, sir.
                              Tigh: Time's up, she's out of O2.
                              Adama: The clock is a guess. We don't know for a fact Starbuck is out of air.
                              Tigh: Her tank only holds so much oxygen.
                              Adama: She could have a reserve supply in her survival gear.
                              Tigh: A reserve?
                              Adama: Yes.
                              Tigh: What, she just happened to pack an extra bottle today?
                              Adama: It's possible.
                              Tigh: We are putting people at risk. We have pilots out there who are pushing themselves and their ships too hard, all for the sake of-
                              Adama: We are not quitting. And you are relieved, Colonel.
                              Tigh: I stand relieved, sir.
                              And later…………
                              Tigh: Are you gonna order us to stop the search?
                              Roslin: I came here to talk, not to give orders.
                              Tigh: It may take an order.
                              Roslin: Why? Colonel Tigh, do I need to know something?
                              Tigh: It's gone beyond military needs. It's personal. For the Commander and for Lee too. Because of Lieutenant Thrace. Because of her, and because of Zak Adama.
                              Roslin: The Commander's dead son?
                              Tigh: It's complicated. It would take about three weeks to explain.
                              Roslin: We've got about three minutes, talk fast.
                              Tigh obviously had his doubts, but no one would listen to him except Roslin. They were blinded by their personal feelings. Even Lee. It eventually took Roslin to make both Adamas see the error of their ways. This may be the only ep. so far that Tigh has questioned Adama’s decisions but obviously to little avail.

There was a moment when he did staunchly defend Adama when Roslin (in Tigh Me Up, Tigh Me Down) suggested to him the possibility that Adama was a Cylon, yet Tigh kept that little conversation to himself rather than tell Adama. I wonder why he didn’t.

I think we need a character discussion thread just for Tigh cause I'd never guess we'd talk about this man that much.
                              IMO always implied.

Comment

Tigh questioned Adama's decisions before. It was in the very same episode of Tigh me up, Tigh me down, when Tigh suspected Adama was hot after his wife following more instigations by his drunken wife. A hilarious exchange between Roslin, Tigh, Adama, Baltar and Lee.
                                Now Tigh doesn't even need to question Adama's orders. His wife does it for him. Instigating yet another confrontation between Tigh and Adama concerning a 6 hour CIC after-hours schedule.
                                As a matter of fact, now that I think about it, hmm. Most of this is all Ellen's doing. She's the one that implicated Roslin was nuts and that Tigh SHOULD give access to the Quarum. If there hadn't been that presentation, the entire Martial Law event may not have happened.
                                So I guess we can all blame Ellen for this. She is really causing alot of malcontent. But I still contend she is a secondary compounding mistake. The first was Adama boarding Colonial 1, taking the President by force and locking up the President of the Colonies in the Galactica brig. I don't see how she and the Commander could ever look at each other in the same way again with any degree of trust.
                                This is wierd. After all, it was Adama's idea to find Earth. I'm sure he feels she's steeling his thunder but I don't see the constant reference to 'picking sides' that the Commander always tells Lee about. Seems to me there's only two sides. Cylon and Human. I'd think next time the Commander asks or grills Lee about picking sides that should be his answer.

Comment

Working...
                                X