Instinct (207)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shivan
    I was going to make a post asking that soon... I mean... I hope she didn't die. I'm a sap and want everything sincerely good to live. And she was, all up until the virus starting having that effect on her...
    I want that too!! But she didn't hurt any1 did she?
    sigpic

Comment

When Carson and Elia's father were talking about the retrovirus, I couldn't help but think of Pinocchio: "I'm gonna be a real boy!"

I could see that the team hasn't forgotten the whole blowing up 5/6 of a solar system thing yet. There was a slight tension there. He had much less dialogue than usual, and I felt like Sheppard telling him to stay with Carson was a way of showing that McKay is nowhere near having Shep's trust back yet.
      Considering that, oddly enough it was the moment where Sheppard smacked Rodney upside the head that seemed the most reminiscent of their old relationship. After all, you don't make a move like that with someone you don't know. It's the fact that Rodney didn't complain about it that showed that the relationship is still strained. I give the writers points there for realizing that less is more in this episode.

There was a scene where Rodney and Teyla were talking. They had dialouge! I never see that, and it made me happy. It made it feel like there was an actual team, not just Rodney and Sheppard, Sheppard and Teyla, Teyla and Ronan, and Sheppard and Ronon, if that makes any sense.

I wonder if Teyla is listed as Sheppard's official 2IC on the team. Probably not, since she's not technically military, but she's definitely fallen into the role.

I love how Sheppard made it an order for Ronon to stay with Teyla, and Ronon followed it. That little part made Ronon's military history seem more real to me. As we were shown in "Condemned", the man may be a loose canon, but he will follow a direct order. At least, he will until Teyla implies that orders don't always have to be followed. I wonder if that will come back to bite the team in the butt later on.

Okay, who else guessed that Elia had been feeding off of her father?
      And that whole relationship...a shrink's field day.

Carson Beckett shooting Elia may very well have been my absolute favorite moment of the show. Oh, how I loved that. Someone obviously passed his field training with flying colors.
      And him asking to go off-world. It just shows how important the discovery of Elia was to Atlantis, but it also showed a bit of character evolution, in my opinion. Carson used to be a bit of a scaredy-cat, but this shows that he's becoming more comfortable in his surroundings and more able to do what is necessary to further his research (going off-world) and to save lives (he saved Rodney by shooting Elia, although that was probably more of a reactionary thing).

Rodney McKay continues to be crappy with children.

Ronon and Sheppard taking out Elia together was a relationship-building moment for them, somewhat reminiscent of McKay and Sheppard in "The Defiant One." He's finding his place.

When Ronon knocked the platter out of Elia's hand and pulled the gun on her, and Teyla was the one who spoke to him about it, the whole battered woman discussion from the "Trinity" thread came back to me. Someone beat that idea out of my brain, please. I don't want it there, I could have analyzed that moment as a show of Teyla's people skills, but the ghosts of last weeks conversation were floating in my head. Help, please.

Some of the lines written for Sheppard fell rather flat, but I still like his character and the way Flanigan plays him, so I'm gonna blame the writers for that one.

And...that's all for now.
      They say the geek never gets the girl...what about the girl getting the geek?

Rodney/Teyla...it could happen

spoilers for "200"
      Spoiler:
      Gen. Hammond: It has to spin, it's round! Spinning is so much cooler than not spinning. I'm the general, and I want it to spin!

Vala: Are you saying that General O'Neill is...

Cam: My daddy?

Comment

One of the best episode of the season.
        You know McKay isn't really nice to children.
        I don't really like Ronon, I noticed that when he pulled his weapon on Ellia.
        sigpic

Comment

Starfox is one of those good, dedicated, and loyal Stargate fans who takes notes while watching.

Let's give him a pat on the back.

Comment

This episode was simply OK. It wasn't thrilling but it was nice knowing a bit more about the Wraith.
            It was a little difficult for me to accept that Beckett had already come so far in his knowledge of Wraith and their makeup that he could create a virus that could do so much in such a short time and it seemed rather convenient that he'd have someone to test it on who'd let him do his work. This idea could have been set back further on into the series.
            McKay was so much easier to handle this time around. He didn't annoy me for even a fraction of a second.
            It's amusing that Ronan is so obedient; apparently he's got the whole 'follow orders' bit down much more than Shephard ever has.

What I did appreciate about this episode though is its ultimate point; A Wraith can't stop being a Wraith even if they wanted to. I don't know that they needed to stress the point that there is no peaceful easy solution but it certainly didn't hurt to have it confirmed again.

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

Originally posted by MarshAngel
              What I did appreciate about this episode though is its ultimate point; A Wraith can't stop being a Wraith even if they wanted to. I don't know that they needed to stress the point that there is no peaceful easy solution but it certainly didn't hurt to have it confirmed again.
              The Wraith are fundamentally albino vampires.
              Put simply.

Update - After thinking about my above comment, I realized that originally vampires were somewhat albino... Well, they are quite pale and do intentionally stay out of the sun...

I am allowing you to read both my original post above and now the post I would have made if I hadn't forgot about Wesley Snipes -

The Wraith are fundamentally albino mosquitoes, with the mental capacity of humans.
              Last edited by Shivan; 26 August 2005, 07:17 PM.

Comment

Ok this was a good episode....

it was nice to see a FEMALE wraith for once...

considering most Wraiths we have seen up till now have been males that look alike for the most part....

and the ending though ;_; poor Elia

Comment

The episode was nice, Conversion will be better, but what struck me as odd, was that iratus dna seemed more efficient than the usual Wraith/Human hybrid, why are the humans using a retrovirus, and not the Wraith, wouldn't it be simpler to merely eradicate the human dna within them, this would make them a more powerful race, at least physically, they could keep the current form for better brain capacity, dexterity, but taking on only the traits of the iratus bugs, would make them a unique race.

Comment

Originally posted by Shivan
                    Starfox is one of those good, dedicated, and loyal Stargate fans who takes notes while watching.

Let's give him a pat on the back.
                    *laughs and accepts pat on the back, though it was all mental ramble and not notes*

Oh, and I'm a her, by the way.

spoilers for "200"
                    Spoiler:
                    Gen. Hammond: It has to spin, it's round! Spinning is so much cooler than not spinning. I'm the general, and I want it to spin!

Comment

Aww. Poor Elia. I don't see why Becket even brough the retriovirus with him. It didn't make much sense. In order to properly work on it, it probably would have made more sense to take tissue samples and bring them back to Atlantis, where he has the Ancient equiptment to work on it too.
                      sigpic

Comment

I'm not so sure I like this whole "wraith cure" thing that Carson is working on, it just seems a bit too fast and a bit too 'plot device'.

Aside from that, I did like the ep. We got some good info on the wraith and the whole 'nature vs nurture' issue with Elia was excellent.
                        Plus marks for making Elia a character who was sympathetic, even at the end, when she had to tell daddy the truth. Poor girl, she wanted so badly to be human and to have people like her. Up until the 'chat scene', I kept hoping we could somehow help her.
                        I liked that Teyla was the one to reach out and try to help Elia. It gave her some good character development and it was cute to see her teaching Elia how to use her powers.
                        Ronan was rude, but his actions were understandable. She is the face of every horror he has ever seen or imagined. And unfortuantly, he was right.
                        Carson, be more careful with the medical supplies next time!
                        Shepperd, so needs to stop running off into danger without back up. He's lucky Teyla woke up and set Dex straight about "how we take orders" lol.

A couple things did kinda stick out though,
                        1) why did no one, even Dex the wraith slayer, wonder why the wraith had recently started taking two people when it fed? Why did it suddenly need an extra person, and why start risking a larger hunt? Especially knowing that the time of the change in hunting matched the time that Elia needed to start feeding.
                        2) why did the adult wraith not go find Elia and take her to stay with him? It would have been easy when she was a child. Did he not care? How parental are the wraith? It also makes me wonder how valuable the female wraith are. Elia's only the second one we've seen, so I assume they're rare, but the adult didn't seem concerned about her safety.
                        Malaka
                        {Muse in Training}

Curse, bless me now with your fierce tears, I pray.
                        Do not go gentle into that good night,
                        Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Comment

Originally posted by Nienna
                          why did no one, even Dex the wraith slayer, wonder why the wraith had recently started taking two people when it fed? Why did it suddenly need an extra person, and why start risking a larger hunt? Especially knowing that the time of the change in hunting matched the time that Elia needed to start feeding.
                          I'm guessing because they're used to thinking of the Wraith as evil life-sucking vampires. They don't think of the Wraith as actually having tactics when it comes to feeding, nor do they know how many victims a Wraith needs to sustain itself. And no one knew exactly when Elia needed to start feeding until the big ol' village talk scene where her father admitted to letting her feed off of him.

What I'm wondering is why it's been so long between cullings. According to the villagers, they're the stuff of legends, meaning that there hasn't been one in a long time. It's funny that no one picked up on that.

spoilers for "200"
                          Spoiler:

Comment

I did notice that it's been a very long time between cullings. Add to that fact the Wraith on the planet couldn't contact any others either. Maybe it's just one of those planets that slipped through the crack, being far out of the way. Perhaps it was a place that never had any significant civilization until a while after the cullings that destroyed the original one. So the wraith had little reason to visit, assuming there was no one there.

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

Written by Treena Hancock and Melissa Byer. Huh. Guess TPTB are listening after all.

Not a bad freshman effort. It was steady throughout, and we did learn a few important things about the wraith (they CAN understand things like love), but the ep doesn't really stand out for me. Not many chances taken, not many wild directions explored (although the retrovirus removing the human part was a good twist, even if you know SOMETHING was going to go wrong).

I DID like McKay and the kid. LOL! McKay and kids are always funny, IMO, although it's something to be taken in moderation. Too often I've noticed TPTB take a joke and run it into the ground. Let's save the kiddies for special occasions, eh?

Loved the headsmack Shep gave McKay. Classic stuff. Heck, I loved the McKay stuff in general. But there's no surprise there. Beckett was good as well. Personally, I think he should have played up the fact that HE, Beckett, was willing to go offworld to do the research. That right there should have been enough proof of how seriously he took the situation.

Most of the stuff was good. Dex was fun, with some nice stuff going on with the tracking, the nasty reaction to the Wraith girl and the gunplay.

If I had ANY complaint, it would be the sheer, jaw-dropping STUPIDITY of Teyla. Ye gods, woman! Just when I was all proud of Shep for finding the magic words for Dex ("That's an order"), she goes and screws it all to hell by telling Dex, "Oh, you don't ALWAYS have to follow orders, it's up to US to decide when to disobey!" *headdesk* I both hope and dread that her statement will come back to bite them all in the ass. HARD. Stupid, stupid, stupid Teyla.

I suspect Carson will soon discover the truth about the stuff the scientist guy was working on. Pity, that, although I do agree that there should be SOME way to synthesize a serum for the Wraith to use. I mean, if they can invent a serum to cure Jaffa dependency on symbiotes, why not this, too?
                              As well. I've seen worse eps (*cough*Sanctuary*cough*) and Instinct DID have some good to it. Next time these ladies write, though, I hope they add more zing and more unpredictible twists. Keep us on our toes! Don't let us guess the ending.

Comment

Sad ep. Poor Elia.

Beautiful forest. I want to move there.

I did love the little character bits. Ronon downing his drink in an instant, Rodney sniffing at his drink.

Sheppard smacking Rodney on the head.

Rodney sticking his hand under his shirt to make sure he was all right. Exactly what I would've done myself.

Lots of Beckett in this one. Yayyyy

Rodney's just a natural dad, isn't he?

Smart Elia, to figure out how to inject the retrovirus. Also found it hard to believe the villagers were able to slaughter all those injured wraith but never tracked down and killed the remaining one, even though it was killing their family members.

I too liked the conversation between Rodney and Teyla. I like Teyla much more now than I did last year.

Ronon's still got a little too much surfer dude in his accent, but he's funny sometimes. I liked the bit about between him and Teyla about taking orders.

I also agree with the poster who said Rodney seemed a little subdued. He seemed quieter to me, too. Complained less. If that was deliberate in light of last week's episode, kudos to the writers for the continuity.

The talk about hypochondria was funny. He's such a sweet man. You want to hug him and smack him simultaneously.

Poor Sheppard. He thinks he hates those bugs now...

Comment

Working...
                                X