Trinity (206)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MarshAngel
    Very well done. I can see them slowly taking Mckay down by notches. Last week perfect strangers deconstructed him and this week his ego takes a beating but only after it had risen to gargantuan proportions.
    I have to say I wanted to kick McKay several times. The way he abuses poor Zelenka. I give the man props for continuing to work with him and being gracious about it.
    I also love what they did with Teyla and Ronon. I Love how Ronon just shot the guy with no preamble. I never did get all the speeches people tend to make before they kill you. It was nice to see them close ranks over a secret. It provides basis for future drama and dama is good.

I still can't get over McKay's ego. Just how does one man get so confident and presumptuous? He hasn't saved the world the number of times Carter has and yet he has the ego of a man who's saved several galaxies. Amazing really.
    What you said. Weir will be less likely to trust McKay's assertions in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by derrickh
      He took the knife away from her like it was a toy. He was never in any real danger from Teyla, that much was obvious. You think for a second that Ronon was scared into thinking 'oh no, I better not be bad because Teyla will hurt me'? Nope. That little display by Teyla was so that she could continue to delude herself into thinking that she can have some effect on how Ronon acts. She can't. she hasn't. and she won't.
      Teyla is the last person on Atlantis who is deluded….

Nope. Thats not how Teyla acts. Last season she fought with the security officer because he accused her of being a spy. He ACCUSED her of something, and she beat him up. Ronon KILLS a man 2 feet away form her and she gives him a lecture?
      Well, he didn’t call her a Wraith spy either. Two different situations. He explained the situation, which she understood, but only to a degree (remember, we’re in a different galaxy, no books of etiquette there).

The idea that Teyla is attracted to 'dangerous' men (aka abusive) is based solely on whats been shown on screen. Her current boyfriend has 1. Tied her up 2. Kidnapped her. 3. Beat her up using a cheap shot during 'training'. 4. Ended negotiations with a knife. 5. Killed a man in cold blood after lying to her.
      Whoa whoa whoa (to quote Sheppard). Back up a sec. Boyfriend??? Ah, hello?? He’s not her boyfriend. Friend, but NOT boyfriend.

There are a lot of people on Atlantis. Her own people live a few minutes away. But the guy she decides to spend time with and go shopping with is the one who has treated her worse than anyone else on the planet? Great judgment Teyla.
      They’re not shopping. They’re on a trading/negotiating mission. A heckuva lot different.

You may be right. BSG probably would be more upfront about the subject and not try to paint this as a cute relationship. Maybe the writers on SG:A are sneaking this stuff into the show to see how far they can go. Maybe it's all subtext that they didnt ever plan. Doesn't really matter, because whats on the screen is a woman in an abusive relationship.
      I have to agree with someone else. This sounds like projecting (like someone else who said that Sheppard was pretty much a criminal because his hair touched his ears, etc. etc.).

For one thing, which you’ve overlooked, Teyla is not even in a relationship. In fact, none of them are! Rodney’s the only guy who’s gotten a date and well, after blowing up a planet or six, wonder if that relationships is still puttering along…

Comment

Originally posted by The2ndQuest
        Dex: "anyone believes he should be avenged...("youram"? "noram"?)
        Dex: Anyone believes he should be avenged... here I am.

Comment

The Daedalus was about to withstand quite a few blasts from the Ancient superweapon, that either means that the weapon wasn't nearly as powerful as they made it out to be or that the Daedalus shields are very powerful.

Comment

Derrick, while you may be of the opinion that Dex is violent scum and Teyla is a battered woman, keep in mind that it's YOUR opinion and is not proven fact. What you see in the ep may "prove" it to you, but what you see as evidence doesn't necessarily add up the same way for everyone. The fact that most everyone who has replied to you has said that they don't interpret things the same way you do says... well, it says it's a wide world with a lot of different interpretations of the same things. *shrug*

I still have to admit a certain amount of shock to see you reading the two characters in such an extremely negative and nasty way. Even looking back on it, I have trouble seeing it the way you do. My feelings about Dex and about Teyla are so inherently different from yours that it's hard for me to wrap my mind around something so... different. But hey, if that's the way you want to see them, it should be interesting to see how the rest of the season turns out... for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Gargen
              yea the chances of more than one inhabited planet in a solar system is very unlikely

Well........
              apparently non of you are worried about space nats!!!!! not to mention the space snails which never did anything to you!!

damm all of you!!!!!!
              Get YOUR P90 Here!
              Am i alone in hoping that the Seaquest seasons with the DeLuise brothers are finally released on dvd??

Nice hair!!

Comment

To the Teyla-is-a-battered-woman-angle: WTF???????

Nope. Thats not how Teyla acts. Last season she fought with the security officer because he accused her of being a spy. He ACCUSED her of something, and she beat him up. Ronon KILLS a man 2 feet away form her and she gives him a lecture?
                Teyla understood why he killed the guy. She even says that she might have done the same. She gets it. Not ratting him out to people who would condemn him isn't a sign of acquiescence, it's a sign of her not being a hypocrite.
                She punched Bates because he accused her of being worse than this Kell character than Ronon just shot. Ronon killed a guy she felt probably deserved to die. She was pissed because he lied to her, not because he killed the guy. And her "I will not be so understanding?" The tremble in her voice was her restraining from hitting him.

The idea that Teyla is attracted to 'dangerous' men (aka abusive) is based solely on whats been shown on screen. Her current boyfriend has 1. Tied her up 2. Kidnapped her. 3. Beat her up using a cheap shot during 'training'. 4. Ended negotiations with a knife. 5. Killed a man in cold blood after lying to her.
                Hold up. Boyfriend? Okay, there were a few glances that could have been construed as flirtatious at the beginning of "Condemned", but during this episode she does not treat Ronon as someone she is attracted to. If anything, he's like an annoying angsty teenager she has to babysit. From the time he puts that knife into the table to the time they get back to Atlantis she's pissed at him. And she's the one who told Ronon's war buddy that there was nothing going on there.

There are a lot of people on Atlantis. Her own people live a few minutes away. But the guy she decides to spend time with and go shopping with is the one who has treated her worse than anyone else on the planet? Great judgment Teyla.
                He asked to go with her. She didn't beg to have him along. Taking him was a friendly gesture to a teammate, an effort to keep him from going stir-crazy. And after this ep, I doubt she'll be doing such a thing in the near future.

This idea of Teyla as an abused woman is nothing more than your projections. There's nothing there to support the idea.
                They say the geek never gets the girl...what about the girl getting the geek?

Rodney/Teyla...it could happen

spoilers for "200"
                Spoiler:
                Gen. Hammond: It has to spin, it's round! Spinning is so much cooler than not spinning. I'm the general, and I want it to spin!

Vala: Are you saying that General O'Neill is...

Cam: My daddy?

Comment

Well, the episode was fine. The action scenes didnt catch me so much, but it was ok.

ad derick: Well I also interpret it a completely different way, and i must say, i'm quite surprised to see someone who sees it this way, but w/e, there's freedom of speech here right?
                  "Maybe one day you will learn that your way is not the only way!"

Visit Dr. Radek Zelenka's Complete Translations and thunk thread

All translations will be found in the first post of this thread, though i recommend to read the whole discussion ;]

Comment

Originally posted by smushybird
                    I'll chime in that I don't see any sexual chemistry between Weir and Sheppard, either. There have been one or two scenes where I've sensed that some of the writers want to push the two of them in that direction, and those moments have felt a bit forced. Weir and Sheppard work better together when they're butting heads or when she's relaxed and real (which isn't frequent enough) and they can be friends.

I don't need the romantic element either, to enjoy a show like Atlantis. I'm 42 (which I'm assuming most people consider mature ) and I've never been a big fan of love stories, unless they're really unconventional. They seldom are. I've said here before that I would hate to see Atlantis become a soap opera. Once again - please, writers, don't go in that direction.

And I like the science yimmer yammer, too.
                    Ok, and the cute guys.
                    I have to say I agree with you here.
                    I'm 42 (nice to know there are other 'mature' people that post here, though I don't feel mature!) and though I could see chemistry in SG1 between certain characters I really don't see any sexual chemistry between Sheppard and Weir, but they have a good dynamic together, especially when they disagree, and they care deeply for eachother.
                    I don't want to see romance particularly, I've never been a fan of romance stories unless they are exceptionally executed, and I love the science stuff and particularly the action! Romance is for fan fiction. My personal opinion is major characters will never get together. It has never happened in S.G.1, don't see why it will on SGA.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat

Again, just because SOME feel that romance adds to a show doesn't mean that ALL must feel that. I resent the idea that as a woman, I need to have a sexual pairing on the show to root for in order to find it worth watching. NOT true. Not for me. I'm quite content to watch a show where NO ONE hooks up romantically onscreen. Especially not the main characters.

I'll save the rest of my rant for the ship discussion thread (or one could simply go and read what I've already said there), but I wanted to make it abundantly clear that I am NOT watching Stargate to see the characters "hook up".
                      First of all. "hook up" is a phrase that in my wildest dreams I would never use in any context. Same for "shagging' which I find repulsive. I am talking about romance, not sex. Not many of us want to see sex. That's why I don't like Battlestar Galactica. It would be unrealistic for a group of people to live and work together and there not be some pairing off. I am amazed that you can see the chemistry between Teyla and Ronon and not see it between John and Elizabeth which was like an anvil to me right from the pilot. But be that as it may, I too would rather see no ship than see them screw it up by tossing them in bed together. I was simply trying to point out that there's a growing group of women like me who used to watch Sci Fi just because our husbands or whatever did who are now starting to pay attention. I think the people who are interested in ratings will start to listen to our suggestions.
                      sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

Well I'm not even going to get into the teyla is a battered woman discussion, but I did see earlier on the thread that some people didn't understand why the wraith ship wreakage was still floating around the planet and hadn't fallen, so I wanted to explain that really quick. If the wraith ships were orbiting the planet when attacking, they probebly would have been in a stable orbit, so when they were destroyed, they would have stayed in that stable orbit. The reason they haven't crashed into the planet over the past 10,000 years is the same reason why the moon hasn't crashed into the earth. For every amount of distance that gravity pulls the object down towards the planet, the object is moving an equal amount of distance to the side, so the object stays on a stable course moving around the planet.

Comment

[QUOTE=FoolishPleasure As another one of those "mature female" sci-fi fans, I see where you are coming from. I really get turned off with the, "Oh, aren't those two half-dressed characters so HOT together!" factor. Which is why I'm drawn to the Teyla/Ronon angle - while Teyla was originally the dull "hot bod", the interaction with Ronon can bring a different aspect to her. They have so much in common - they can be INTERESTING without being just HOT looking together (did you notice she didn't dress "skimpy" this episode?). And I do see something with the Shep/Weir angle as well. Not because they are "Oh, so HOT", but because they have care, respect AND conflict with each other.

For characters to be "shipped". .(not that any WILL be), they have to be interesting, and have a purpose for the "ship". Two hot looking actors together "ain't gonna cut it".[/QUOTE]

Thank you. You defended me so much better than I did myself. I forgot to mention the scantily clad angle which is what some people need to see ship. Rubbing two hot bodies together to me is insulting our intelligence. I did notice that Teyla was dressed more ladylike and I applaude the choice. I think a true good caring relationship can develop between Teyla and Ronon but not based on appearance. It's fine with me if the Shep/Weir thing continues as it has been. I'm in no hurry. And once again I think Joe and Torri are doing a phenomenal job.
                          sigpic

Visit us at SGA Rising for our version of season six.

Comment

I don't see any sexual tension between Teyla/Ronon or John/Elizabeth. There's more of a possibility between Teyla/John than John/Elizabeth, but nothing comes close to actual shipping. Can't a man and a woman be friends without any sexual undertones? You people are so paranoid!

Comment

Originally posted by not so ancient
                              While you may have personal or professional insight into battered women, you are projecting onto Teyla what is simply not there, and in fact, laughable, to the rest of us. You've failed to convincingly explain it. This obsession with Teyla being somehow battered and dominated by Dex is, really, rather....disturbing.
                              I don't mind that many people dont agree with me. It makes for good discussion. But to imply that none of the signs are there is what's laughable. I named no less than 5 things that would normally be huge red flags. These weren't interpretations, in fact, many were plot points. Lets go through them, and if something isnt true, then please correct me.

1. Ronon bound Teyla against her will. That happened. Can't get around it.
                              2. He kidnapped her/held her hostage. Did I misinterpret that part in 'Runner'?
                              3. He hit her using a cheap shot during training. Thats a bs move no matter what galaxy you're from. Sheppard called him on it immediately but Teyla 'let it go' him.
                              4. He planted a knife in a table during a negotiation for seeds. Seeds. He wasn't even really part of the negotiation.
                              5. He lied to Teyla, put her life in danger, and killed a man in front of her.

Which of those things didn't happen? I'm actually sugar coating his actions.

Now, if you knew a woman who was hanging out out with a guy that did those things to her, would you sit back and say, they make a cute couple or they have 'chemistry'?

What I don't get...what really puzzles me, Is why so many viewers are cutting Ronon so much slack? Is it because he's a hunk? Is it because TPTB say he's a good guy? or are they the ones projecting and seeing stuff that hasnt been shown on screen?

SG:A is a tv show. A good one, too. And I don't see any reason to overlook what happens on screen because it doesn't jibe with what some people want to see.

D

Comment

Derrickh I think that the reason many people feel your accusations against Ronan are kind of off base is because this is a science fiction show. What you don't seem to be taking into consideration is the context. If this were a regular relationship in real life and a guy kidnapped a girl, bound her, etc. then yes...that would be a sign of something wrong. Very wrong. However, this is a science fiction show where there is constant danger and the characters are defending themselves against something or other every episode. I doubt in a real life relationship that the man in it would have met the girl for the first time on an alien planet after being on the run from a vicious alien for 7 years and having been completely alone for those years execpt for the various Wraith killings that he's done. At least I would sincerely hope not.

It was, is, and always will be GREEN

Comment

Working...
                                X