Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1320212223

Thread: Duet (204)

Default Re: Duet (204)

Yup, definitely have to continue that rewatch.
    I got stuck at Heroes so maybe I should just skip that one and move on.
    The Tale of Heightmeyer's Lemming by Falcon Horus
    http://forum.gateworld.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1201&dateline=1311771170
    icon & signature by Falcon Horus || The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research || Pharaoh Hamenthotep @ Patreon

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    You must really like the Irr-episodes or the green one in season 5 then.

Nope, not the Irr-episodes either.

When did Daniel do that?
    Can't remember this.

If the situation had been reversed and it was Rodney in Cadman's body -- would your reaction have been the same?
    Don't know what episodes you're referring to.

Yes, I was referring to Prometheus Unbound.

Of course, if the roles were reserved and Rodney did the same things I would have the same reaction.

Quote Originally Posted by coolcatkim22 View Post
    Don't know what episodes you're referring to.
    Irresistable and Irresponsible in season 4, and pff... darn what was that episode's name again in season 5, the one where Bill Nye and Neil Degrasse-Tyson make an appearance (whom I had no clue who they were up until that point).
    http://forum.gateworld.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1201&dateline=1311771170
    icon & signature by Falcon Horus || The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research || Pharaoh Hamenthotep @ Patreon

The irrs were in S3
    Quote Originally Posted by aretood2 View Post
    Jelgate is right

Quote Originally Posted by jelgate View Post
    The irrs were in S3
    DO'H!! That's right... Ah well...

Major General

Irresistable and Irresponsible in season 4, and pff... darn what was that episode's name again in season 5, the one where Bill Nye and Neil Degrasse-Tyson make an appearance (whom I had no clue who they were up until that point).
    Brainstorm is that ep where Bill and Neil show up.. And it's nothing to do with bodyswapping or the like..

Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    Brainstorm is that ep where Bill and Neil show up.. And it's nothing to do with bodyswapping or the like..
    Brainstorm -- that's the one. Nope, it isn't about bodyswapping but maybe that would have made it interesting.

Oh. I liked those episodes.

'Irresistible' could have been uncomfortable but it wasn't, because the difference between it and 'Duet' is that in one Lucius is the clearly the bad guy whist Cadman is not.
    We're not suppose to like Lucius or feel good he's manipulating the people in the town for his own selfish reasons. The joke comes from how silly the members of the crew are acting under his influence and how seriously they take is ridiculous stories and remarks.
    Unlike in Duet we're suppose to be on Cadman's side. The jokes comes from, I guess, seeing how annoying Cadman is and Rodney being the straight man to her shenanigans. However, it fails (for me at least) because we're also suppose to sympathize with Cadman and I don't. I know if I was Rodney I would be freaked out someone else was controlling my body, especially if they made me do something I did not want to do (go on a date, kiss a co-worker, etc). Her motivation isn't even laudable because it boils down to "I know what's best for you" which is just evil.

Irresponsible was good. Again, Lucius was the bad guy and nobody was actually being control this time. I have no problems with Brainstorm. Was it a good episode? Eh.... But it didn't make me angry which is the main problem I have with this episode.

No, everything about manipulative Lucius is far from funny or meant as a joke. If that was the idea, they failed miserably.

No, everything about manipulative Lucius is far from funny or meant as a joke. If that was the idea, they failed miserably.
    You couldn't be more right about this, he was so annoying to me

But the idea for Duet, I found funny even if it left quite some questions open

Yes, exactly. In order for it to be funny you either have to be oblivious to the realities of the situation or think the following and not care: "Oh that rascal Lucius! He got caught enslaving and raping a bunch of people and almost did the latter to members of the Atlantis expedition. What a hoot that guy is!"

The premise is a throwback to older stories where there was a lesser degree of audience awareness and writers were trying to appeal to the male fantasy. It played the whole thing for intended laughs, including the idea of the reveal. It was supposed to be funny that the women might chase him out of town after they found out what he had done. It made no effort to see his actions as legitimately damaging, instead treating him as a rascal or scamp (as opposed to a full on bad guy). It was tone deaf and ridiculous.

And while it predated shows like Dollhouse and Jessica Jones that focused heavily on the actual consequences that would be involved in this trope it was 2006, not the 80s. Hence the backlash the episode got from people like us at the time.
    Last edited by Xaeden; November 27th, 2017 at 06:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by coolcatkim22 View Post
    Oh. I liked those episodes.

Unlike in Duet we're suppose to be on Cadman's side. The jokes comes from, I guess, seeing how annoying Cadman is and Rodney being the straight man to her shenanigans. However, it fails (for me at least) because we're also suppose to sympathize with Cadman and I don't. I know if I was Rodney I would be freaked out someone else was controlling my body, especially if they made me do something I did not want to do (go on a date, kiss a co-worker, etc). Her motivation isn't even laudable because it boils down to "I know what's best for you" which is just evil.
    In reading your interpretation, it's like the shoe is on the other foot. In this instance, McKay is being "raped" by Cadman, because when Cadman takes control, Rodney has no say in the situation .

Colonel

So do people not like this one any more? it's a fun episode

Quote Originally Posted by Coco Pops View Post
    Sure it is fun, somehow at least, but one again which leaves some questions, or might have even made room for more ideas

Quote Originally Posted by Coco Pops View Post
    I do still like the episode for it's "fun" elements, but mainly I like it for Kate and Cadman.

However, I do find that the more you watch an episode, and the older and wiser one gets (no laughing) situations can be interpreted differently (my findings, don't know about others).

I do still like the episode for it's "fun" elements, but mainly I like it for Kate and Cadman.

However, I do find that the more you watch an episode, and the older and wiser one gets (no laughing) situations can be interpreted differently (my findings, don't know about others).
    You are right about that, it is the same for me

Things that were just funny before, make you also think when you are older and they begin to not be so funny and you start to wonder about them more

Colonel

OH ok from that POV I understand. I love this episode but can see what people mean. Over the years the funny episodes which people think are fun do make me rethink things.