No announcement yet.

Duet (204)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was a little apprenhensive at first; the first few episodes of the season they had portrayed McKay more as slapstick diversion than the character we had come to know last season.

Can I say that Hewlett is such a talented actor - he really got a workout in this episode - to bounce back between characters and to show the emotions of two different people. I thought he was great. (*agree the switching image scene was awkward*) For Rodney I'm sure it was humiliating to be relieved of duty and to have everyone think you're crazy and at the same time frightening to think things might not get fixed. Yet, we did get to see another one of those begrudging awareness moments when he realized that Lt. Cadman was suffering too. She did "break the rules" on his date - but I had to laugh at her line "that was probably the most honest you've ever been with a woman and it wasn't even you". Oh, and getting dressed under the sheet, lol.

I am glad they set up the plot so that neither could see the others thoughts - only what they other said - it would have been much more invasive that way.

I think Dex is being portrayed as a little too perfect. (other than his table manners :blink: ) His "I prefer this one" was a little reminiscent of Indiana Jones.

I agree with others who have said - Teyla needs a little more - although I think she is doing a good job of showing the subtle foundation of a relationship (friendship or whatever) with Dex. Did you notice how Sheppard didn't mind Dex throwing his men around but intervened when it was Teyla?

But I have to ask:
    Don't they have doorbells in Atlantis - I mean does your door just open whenever anyone shows up - that could be "inconvenient"

And how did Rodney get a special order mattress in Atlantis? I didn't see furniture coming through the gate when they first arrived.

Comment

This episode is wonderful, but the plot was Lifeboat v2.0.
      "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

I LOVED this episode! Certainly my favorite of S2 and ranks right up there with Letters from Pegasus.

As opposed to the "Rodney as comic relief" moments we saw in "Intruder" and "Runner" I thought this episode - though certainly comedic - was perfectly in character with the growth we saw in McKay over S1.

Snarky, exasperating, brilliant, awkward with women - we saw every side.

David Hewlett can just do it all and he did in this episode. Just a great bit of acting from DH. The interplay with Cadman (in his head), the byplay with Beckett and Zelenka. Poor Zelenaka. I just love it when he goes off in Czech - even though I have no clue what he's saying. What did McKay call him ...."Stupid Mcstupid", or something. LOL.

I was worried it was going to be too slapstick and that the kiss was going to be stupid. But it all came together and fit perfectly in the episode and was played well by both guys.

I also really loved Cadman - thoguht the actress did a nice job with the voiceovers. Fun character - hope we see her around some more.

And so sue me - I'm liking Ronon Dex. I think he brings a different dynamic to the group and I especially like to see him with Teyla. I think they look good together and have good chemistry. Maybe I've finally found a 'ship I like on Atlantis. Aargh - I'm also wildly jealous of Rachel Luttrell's flexibility (you show off that dance background, girl.)

Martin Gero wrote a tight script and the pacing of the episode was spot on. I don't think I looked at the clock from the minute it started until the episode ended. My only quibble - which has already been mentioned - is that I didn't care for the "Gollum" camera shots when McKay and Cadman were switching back and forth. David was doing a great job distinguishing between the two and I don't think they needed to do that - too distracting.

But minor nit. Great episode. Thanks Martin Gero and David Hewlett. I'll let you two guys entertain me anytime you want.
        Last edited by keshou; 06 August 2005, 07:19 AM.
        Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Comment

That's it. I am never watching a commercial teaser or reading an episode description again. Because that way lies needless frustration and worry, when I could have just been kicking back and waiting for Martin Gero to do that voodoo that he do so well.

I don't need every episode to revolve around my favorite characters. All it takes is a few good scenes to make me happy. And Duet is packed with so many great scenes you hardly know where to turn. It's a freaking Christmas tree of an episode! Which makes Gero...Santa?

We must have been awfully good this year. Look at all the good stuff he gave us!

-- McKay and Cadman, squabbling and wrestling for control (the hallway scene really cracked me up). Weir sent them to couple's therapy! The twisted brilliance of it!

-- Beckett impulsively reaching out to help the Wraith. That single moment tells you more about his character than 30 pages of dialogue. Also loved the way he played McKay's wingman at dinner. It takes a true friend to trundle along as a third wheel on his buddy's date.

-- McKay's I-love-me wall (hey, I've dated guys with I-love-me walls. McKay totally fits the profile.)

-- Weir's frustrated attempt at chit-chat with Dex.

-- That Teyla and Dex scene where she tries to explain why she left her people to join the team. I love it when the writers remember the Athosians.

-- Sheppard seeking out McKay for the hysterical "No, you're cool. I'm fine" exchange.

-- Zelenka's deft blend of snark, frustration and a hint of compassion as he boots McKay out of the lab.

A fantastic freaking episode all the way around. I was feeling the love for every character this week. I loved Cadman, I loved Dex, I loved that cranky German scientist with no name. Love, love, love! (Although at some point, I want someone to explain how Dex's culture could invent skyscrapers, but take a pass on utensils. Maybe they used chopsticks? Anyhoo...) Bonus! They explained how the dart beaming technology works! That's been bugging me forever.

And next week is a team story! Joy! Wait. Okay, vow to stop reading episode descriptions starts....NOW!

Comment

I am new here. I was wondering if anyone else thought of All of Me? Steve Martin and Lilly Tomlin should be proud.
            I believe this episode hit on all cylinders. DH did a fantastic job.
            It's my first day. -Homer Simpson

Comment

Wow, best ep of the season so far, hands down!

-An excellent McKay episode! I don't think I can gush enough. Thank goodness they gave this role to DH; he made the dual personality switches look easy. Cadman grated after a while though: talk talk talk, blah blah blah. It did make me feel sorry for Rodney, which I guess was the intent, but after seeing Vala on SG1 it was way too much for me. Carson did a great job and Zelenka was the perfect calm and rational foil to Rodney's arrogance and hysterics.

-Dex still isn't doing much for me. I guess his one word responses are supposed to come off as "mysterious!" but to me they're "boring!" Guess I'm not a big fan of the "silent, deadly, doesn't play well with others" type. And all those people upset about Teyla's flowing hair getting in her way now have a new target: Dex's dreadlocks.

-Shep seems to be suffering from Chaya Syndrome again, trusting complete strangers who don't seem too keen on giving out their backgrounds. Except this time the complete stranger has a really big gun that makes really big holes in things. But of course it's going to work out! Silly Weir for having even the slightest doubt in them! After all, she was going to say "yes" anyway!

Comment

I'm posting my impressions of the ep without reading the thread first because I want the impression to be completely mine, so if any of this has been said, my apologies.

I really liked this ep. Another solid ep in what has been a consistently well-written season. Good job writers!

McKay...

Well, it's official, David Hewlett is an incredibly talented man. I really enjoyed the character last season but I have to say that I was really impressed with him in this ep. Tons of lines to be delivered by not one character but two--excellent job, David! Not only did you pull it off, you embraced it! I laughed myself silly!

Moving on...

Nice moment with Ronan and Teyla in her room--those two have some really nice chemistry! I'll be interested to see where this goes.

Funny moment with Shep and Weir too when he basically asked her if he could keep Ronan (I was tickled by the image of a child asking to keep a newly found pet). So cute that she can't seem to deny him anything.

Ronan is cool, I can't wait to see how he is going to develop! The utensil bit in the cafeteria made me laugh. I like that he's totally different from Shep--nice contrast.

Overall, I really like how the series is developing this year. I like that it seems to be growing into a truly ensemble cast instead of just a few stars and some supporting characters, it gives the show more room to grow.

I'm sure that's not everything I want to say but in the interest of brevity, I'll leave it there
                Marimba FBI - Video Surveillance Division
                Lemming #25 Frothing Fan Lemming

Vids by Marimba, Tamefarrar and Ruralstar!
                Big hugs to Ruralstar for the banner!

Comment

Originally posted by Biscuit
                  That's it. I am never watching a commercial teaser or reading an episode description again. Because that way lies needless frustration and worry, when I could have just been kicking back and waiting for Martin Gero to do that voodoo that he do so well.

I don't need every episode to revolve around my favorite characters. All it takes is a few good scenes to make me happy. And Duet is packed with so many great scenes you hardly know where to turn. It's a freaking Christmas tree of an episode! Which makes Gero...Santa?
                  This one belonged to Martin Gero, eh? I should have known! That would probably explain why I was impressed with it! Good job, MG (again)!

I've been trying so hard to avoid spoilers that I totally missed that he wrote it! I suppose I could look at the credits but I'm usually involved in the ep enough that I totally ignore them lol.
                  Marimba FBI - Video Surveillance Division
                  Lemming #25 Frothing Fan Lemming

Vids by Marimba, Tamefarrar and Ruralstar!
                  Big hugs to Ruralstar for the banner!

Comment

Great episode. DH's performance was excellent. The story itself was pretty fun. Not much else to say about it, really. Fun, light, frivolous episode that kept me thoroughly entertained.

Any other posters of the male persuasion think Cadman was pretty damn hot?
                    Thornbird: I'm Major Robort Thornbird. And you are?
                    Jack: Captain James T. Kirk of the starship Enterprise.
                    Thornbird: Your dog tags say otherwise.
                    Jack: ... They're lying.

Comment

Exelent episode! Martin Gero is awsome, funny as hell, good acting, Weir trying to have a conversation with Dex, Dex winning against Teyla, and many more.

Comment

Very funny. Made good use of the McKay character. David Hewlett really did do well. Unfortunately Steve Martin in All of Me did it better, and memorably enough to take some shine off. Just remember that Martin had lots more time than Hewlett.

I'm afraid the Dex guy is not settling in very well for me.

pm

Comment

Originally posted by TheCorpulent1
                          Any other posters of the male persuasion think Cadman was pretty damn hot?
                          Absolutely. Pretty much all of the women on Atlantis are hot.

Comment

David H. did a wonderful job. Loved the Cadman character, I hope they bring her back. It was great to see to Zelenka, the psychiatrist (can't remember her name), and the minor characters that work in Atlantis. They even have cafeteria workers now, my how the expedition as grown.

What was the point of showing Teyla doing a split? She could have had that conversation with Ronan while sitting perfectly normal and I probably would have taken the scene a little more seriously if they had.

I was sorry to see they cut the Cadman/McKay kiss, that would have been a far better ending.

Overall a good episode.
                            Lady F

Comment

Absolutley loved this one. Kudos to David Hewlett for that role, he did a wonderful job. Very funny overall and that's about it!!

Comment

Working...
                              X