Duet (204)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
    No, everything about manipulative Lucius is far from funny or meant as a joke. If that was the idea, they failed miserably.
    Yes, exactly. In order for it to be funny you either have to be oblivious to the realities of the situation or think the following and not care: "Oh that rascal Lucius! He got caught enslaving and raping a bunch of people and almost did the latter to members of the Atlantis expedition. What a hoot that guy is!"

The premise is a throwback to older stories where there was a lesser degree of audience awareness and writers were trying to appeal to the male fantasy. It played the whole thing for intended laughs, including the idea of the reveal. It was supposed to be funny that the women might chase him out of town after they found out what he had done. It made no effort to see his actions as legitimately damaging, instead treating him as a rascal or scamp (as opposed to a full on bad guy). It was tone deaf and ridiculous.

And while it predated shows like Dollhouse and Jessica Jones that focused heavily on the actual consequences that would be involved in this trope it was 2006, not the 80s. Hence the backlash the episode got from people like us at the time.
    Last edited by Xaeden; 27 November 2017, 05:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by coolcatkim22 View Post
      Oh. I liked those episodes.

Unlike in Duet we're suppose to be on Cadman's side. The jokes comes from, I guess, seeing how annoying Cadman is and Rodney being the straight man to her shenanigans. However, it fails (for me at least) because we're also suppose to sympathize with Cadman and I don't. I know if I was Rodney I would be freaked out someone else was controlling my body, especially if they made me do something I did not want to do (go on a date, kiss a co-worker, etc). Her motivation isn't even laudable because it boils down to "I know what's best for you" which is just evil.
      In reading your interpretation, it's like the shoe is on the other foot. In this instance, McKay is being "raped" by Cadman, because when Cadman takes control, Rodney has no say in the situation .

Comment

So do people not like this one any more? it's a fun episode
        Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Coco Pops View Post
          Sure it is fun, somehow at least, but one again which leaves some questions, or might have even made room for more ideas

Comment

Originally posted by Coco Pops View Post
            I do still like the episode for it's "fun" elements, but mainly I like it for Kate and Cadman.

However, I do find that the more you watch an episode, and the older and wiser one gets (no laughing) situations can be interpreted differently (my findings, don't know about others).
            Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

I do still like the episode for it's "fun" elements, but mainly I like it for Kate and Cadman.

However, I do find that the more you watch an episode, and the older and wiser one gets (no laughing) situations can be interpreted differently (my findings, don't know about others).
              You are right about that, it is the same for me

Things that were just funny before, make you also think when you are older and they begin to not be so funny and you start to wonder about them more

Comment

OH ok from that POV I understand. I love this episode but can see what people mean. Over the years the funny episodes which people think are fun do make me rethink things.
                Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

Random lore fact. This concept art belongs to "Duet". It looks like Thenora is the planet's name while they have never said it in the episode.
                  http://kepek.csillagkapu.hu/displayi...711&fullsize=1
                  https://www.gateworld.net/gallery/di...434&fullsize=1

And I also love it how they have put effort into this road sign as well while it hasn't had any role in the whole episode.
                  https://www.gateworld.net/gallery/di...435&fullsize=1
                  "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

It's all in the details.

The concept art has a dog in it.

Comment

17 years on, is the main story of this episode now incredibly offensive in many ways?
                      Chief Galen Tyrol: But how do you know I'm human?
                      Brother Cavil: Oh, well, maybe because I'm a Cylon, and I've never seen you at any of the meetings.

Comment

Originally posted by mparsons1981 View Post
                        17 years on, is the main story of this episode now incredibly offensive in many ways?
                        How so?

Comment

How so?
                          Gender stereotypes.

I have a feeling that in today's climate, where we hopefully have a much better awareness of such issues than even only 17 years ago, this episode would have been written/directed in a much different way. If, indeed the central story line had been approved at all.
                          Brother Cavil: Oh, well, maybe because I'm a Cylon, and I've never seen you at any of the meetings.

Comment

Originally posted by mparsons1981 View Post

Gender stereotypes.

I have a feeling that in today's climate, where we hopefully have a much better awareness of such issues than even only 17 years ago, this episode would have been written/directed in a much different way. If, indeed the central story line had been approved at all.
                            But that would be true for everything really... hence why it's so important to see it in the time frame then, and not try to place it in the now.

I mean, both Irr-episodes were problematic then, and they would be triple that now.
                            I think they would go in the no-way-pile, the not-done-pile even. My guess anyway...

Comment

Addendum: don't you cringe when someone sneezes in their hands when you watch series, or blows out candles or everything that most of us have not been able to do the past two years due to Covid. I mean, there was a time when all that was a-okay.

Comment

But that would be true for everything really... hence why it's so important to see it in the time frame then, and not try to place it in the now.
                                I absolutely agree.

I actually quite like the episode.

I've been making my way through a complete rewatch of Stargate, and its been a while since I seen some of these episodes. Its quite interesting seeing them 20 years later, and 20 years older.

Comment

Working...
                                X