No announcement yet.

The Powers That Be (905)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very good episode, IMO. Daniel has been good all season, and Vala. . I love Vala even more - always did feel her "sexy" act was more of a mask to a horrible past.

Puzzled about Mitchell getting sick though (like the rest of you). Maybe a scene was cut somewhere. Vala and Teal'c I can understand having immunity. As for Daniel - the Ori have a sort of "interest" in him for some reason - perhaps his link to the Ancients.

The Priors/Ori are just plain creepy and I'm getting into this invincible arc. They do have an Achilles' Heal (every villian does), but we aren't going to see it for awhile. The Gou'ald always were a tad cartoonish (which was fun), but these guys are true science fiction. They just might make things very interesting!

Carter next week! *clapping*

Downside: Mitchell and Teal'c. Neither seems to be doing much. Someone toss them a meaty script to chew on.

Overall. . .thumbs up this week!

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

I'm hoping the reason they need people to worship them is because they don't really ascend the people who follow them. They just lead them along like little lemmings over a cliff, that way no one else can ascend. Either that or they feed off of them once they ascend.
      Sorry Ori, I was born okay the first time.

Comment

I'm becoming increasining agitated with our Ancients. I mean, I kept half expecting a flash of bright white light and the glowy form of Oma to appear and blast the Prior to little bits.

One thing I was wondering about this episode is:

Do we still have the Ancient healing cube, or was it destroyed in the self destruct of the Alpha site? I mean, it would have probably fixed the problem.....Just run it for only a few minutes on a low setting....

Edit: I had another thought. Daniel mentioned wondering about why the Orii care about worshippers. It would be like me demanding a pack of geese half way across the world to worship me.

Perhaps its to actually PREVENT ascention? Maybe they don't want others to ascend, and possibly challenge them, but can't wipe them out for some reason?
        Last edited by Mio; 12 August 2005, 08:29 PM.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bobthespirit

Here's an idea though. Instead of swapping Vala for Sam, let's swap Mitchell for Sam! Vala can stay.
          You need to jump into the SG1 thread on Televison Without Pity where the part of Mitchell is now being played by Claudia Black, and the two women (Sam and Cameron) get to kick some intergalactic booty.

Fun idea anyway. give Mitch a chance--Browder's a good actor and he's capable of a LOT more than he's been given so far. Black finally got her chance tonight and she did an admirable job.

I was so glad to see that Vala's change of heart came from within and "without" as far as seeing the death around her. In other words, it didn't come from Daniel's love or anything corny like that. I really had the feeling that she had some affection for these people, especially that poor guy who had to "mas-sage" her feet (nobody can say "massage" like Claudia Black--LOL)

This was sufficiently intense and, yeah, you really get the idea that this is gonna be an uphill battle for SG1 but that's ok. This is really the team's first real confrontation with the Ori/Priors and I liked that it didn't get wrapped up in one neat little package to end the episode. This is going to be a recurring theme.

I think Vala's pleas to Mitchell should go straight to those other "powers that be". I sure am going to miss her, especially after tonight's episode. I can see where she'd fit on the team. Well, you know, for those covert, black ops type things. Like Krycek

Comment

I just re-watched The Powers That Be, and it was mentioned the plague the Prior gave those people was similar to that of the one that nearly wiped out the Ancients. Perhaps it was the same one and the Ori gave it to the Ancients. Could also be why the Ori didn't know about our galaxy, because they believed they wiped out the Ancients. Of course when they ascended the Ancients blocked them from detecting it.

Small universe.

This probably has been mentioned before.
            "What is it with you and ascended women?!"

Proud member of the C.O.T.W.O.S.F.
            The Coalition Of Those Who Oppose Sci Fi (channel)

Comment

Hot episode.

Vala's being on death row again was funny, but her dawning responsibility and regret were impressive developments. I knew the lady was more than a sexpot and that the writers were going to give Claudia's talent some showcasing. Too bad it's AT THE END OF HER APPEARANCES! Thanks a lot. Still, worth watching her try to take the Prior out; Chickwithagun is back and she's bad (for a little while, anyway )

I enjoyed Daniel's attempt to reason with the people regarding the Ori. His observation that killing those who disagree with Ori teaching was not the best way to win converts was nicely passionate. However, I think he was using language that was probably above the citizens' level.

Interesting dilemma for the Team. To have to leave the planet in the hands of the Ori's compassionless hands was definitely a blow to them, esp so to Vala and Daniel who had up close and personal knowledge of their ways. When Mitchell got sick, it reminded me of the conversation he had with Samantha, half joking about her "coming to help him fix what he screwed up." That may actually apply, being he got sick right in the thick of things and was rather useless to the Team or the people. Curiously weak plot device in this neat ep.

And come on, CJ has the best voice on the show, how's about letting us hear him say more than "Indeed?" Hope he gets more to say and do next week and the coming weeks.

Dr. Lam is growing on me, but for some reason I still see Janet in her; the way she presses her lips together when thinking, or walks with her hands in her pockets. Are those "doctor" mannerisms?

Green light, thumbs' up, and all that. The first shots have been fired across the Tau'ri bow; show us how they take 'em out!

(On a premonition note: I also got the feeling Vala might become some form of Ori/Prior. Don't know why that thought, exactly. )

Just sayin'.
              MISSION: STARGATE REWATCH 2011-2012 ENGAGED DONE!
              sigpic
              Beware Helen Magnus - Doctor of A$$-Kicking

Comment

This was a pretty good episode. I must say that as Vala keeps going I like her better. Her vamping is more subtle which I like better for the character. I love how Daniel is still annoyed with any and everything she says and the way he snapped, "Shut that thing off!" had quite a bite to it. It sounded like he was ready to slap her silly.

Again, I like the way Mitchell is being brought along. He is so relaxed and laid back and to me, he's funny as all get out. Some of the lines he casually dropped had me really laughing. I like him. He's cool enough and secure enough within himself that he doesn't have to be in the forefront all the time. I like that. Right now, I understand the focus is on Daniel and Vala, but I just waiting for the time when Mitchell comes to the fore and I suspect that's going to be when Sam shows back up. (Next Week - yea!)

Still not impressed with the Orii. So they use Ancient technology to infect then heal the people. Big deal. The sarcs the Goa'uld used to renew, heal and raise from the dead was built on ancient tech. The Orii have just figured out how to do in with a staff weapon.

Interesting little side story with Lam and Dad. It got my attention, which is what I expect it was suppose to do.
                "You cannot reason with your own heart;
                it has it's own laws and beats about things
                which the intellect scorns."
                - Mark Twain -

Comment

Yes, it has been mentioned on other threads.

Each discuss a particular piece of the Ancient/Ori puzzle.

Well, when the characters discussed the potential link between the Ancient virus and the current virus, I definitely got a vibe.

"The Ori used the virus on the Ancients" kinda vibe.

And I also would like to point out Daniel's question about why the Ori want us to worship them. Many fans have asked this same question. Can't wait to find out the answer.

Comment

Originally posted by binkpmmc
                    Can you say wooden? After seeing her I really, really miss Janet even more than before - talk about a gaping hole - now there's another one, or better yet, still that same one plus all of the others.
                    I guess I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with you here, bink...

Initially she was a little wooden who saw red when people used alien technology in Avalon without cluing her in...

But in TPTB, we're seeing that beneath the surface lies a lot of animosity for her father and a passion for her work...

Don't get me wrong...I still miss Janet immensely. But I think Lam has potential...

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by Mio
                      Edit: I had another thought. Daniel mentioned wondering about why the Orii care about worshippers. It would be like me demanding a pack of geese half way across the world to worship me.

Perhaps its to actually PREVENT ascention? Maybe they don't want others to ascend, and possibly challenge them, but can't wipe them out for some reason?
                      No, I think that'd be a pretty weak reason, as why even repopulate the worlds in their own galaxy if they didn't want anyone else to be able to ascend?

I actually had a very different idea for their motivation that I speculated about on my own board. I think what may've happened in their history (and this episode maybe gives evidence of) is that they were at war w/ the Alterans previously, but the Alterans ascended and actually outnumbered them to the point that they could force-descend the Ori then wipe their memory of humans in the Milky Way. When the Ori reascended, they just didn't regain their memories and kept to their little corner of the universe; but the whole "we'll guide you to the path of enlightenment" may be to actually gain an army by which to wage a more winning war against the Alterans. They furthermore treat their subjects cruly in order to instill such a level of fear that it'll persist even after they've ascended, and the Ori can thus command them and have unquestioned loyalty from them. That's my own thoughts, at any rate.

-Bloodaxe

Comment

Decent episode. Didn't totally blow me away but I thought it did a good job of making you believe the Ori are going to be difficult for SG-1 to deal with. I'm actually glad SG-1 lost at the end - they need to lose a few battles if this villain is going to have any chance of being a intriguing nemesis. But I can't say I really find the Ori/priors all that scary. At least not yet. I'm really hoping the reason they want to everyone to worship them is a good one. Daniel made quite a point of asking the question so I'm assuming that's going to be a key component of the new "big bad".

Vala finally got a little of the depth I was hoping for and Claudia hit it out of the park. I have to say she makes a great Goa'uld - the play at the beginning was pretty funny. Having Vala finally show concern for her former subjects was a nice touch - mixed, of course, with her trademark avarice. I'm going to miss her energy and wit. Especially now that the OTT sex stuff is (mostly) gone. Too bad we can't have Sam and get Vala back every so often as well. More girl power.

Daniel was sufficiently frustrated and gave a few nice speeches. Going to miss seeing him spar with Vala.

Mitchell had some fun moments with Vala in this episode. That was nice to see as they've pretty well kept them apart. I think Mitchell's going to be fine - he just needs some more development.

Like someone said above, I thought Mitchell getting sick was a pretty weak plot device and it would sure be nice to find out why none of the rest of the gang got ill. The big dramatic moment of seeing him lying ill on the table was - not that dramatic, actually.

Lam hasn't grown on me yet but I guess there's still time. I'm sort of interested in seeing where they're going with this father/daughter thing.

Teal'c was.....there.

On thing I'm still not feeling is that these people (the new group) are really connecting with each other for that "team/family" feeling that the original SG-1 always had. Maybe that will change when Sam comes back and the "band is back together". I think we need to see the new SG-1 in a real bonding episode. Maybe group torture. Or jello night.
                        Last edited by keshou; 12 August 2005, 09:13 PM.
                        Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Comment

Over all I liked this episode but then I've liked all the episodes so far. One slight nitpick, there was no explanation as to why Teal'c was with them, last we saw him, Daniel was hugging him good bye. I suppose the scene explaining why he was there could have ended up on the cutting room floor but I would have liked to have seen a reason he was with the team.

What can I say about Vala. This episode really showed a different side to her than what we've seen before. It should be quite clear to everyone now that she uses her sexuality to keep everyone at a distance, pretty much acts the way she does so no one would expect anything of her. People do that in the real world all the time. You could really see that she does care about certain things other than her treasures. She cared about those people on that planet or why would she set up a justice system or try to heal them even when there was no hope for them? Really laid the groundwork for a great recurring character and I hope that we see her several times a year, assuming SG-1 will get some more seasons.

And Daniel did ask the million dollar question. Why would the Ori care if lower life forms worshipped them? I think that the answer will be interesting. I think that our Ancients or should we call them Alterans now and the Ori split millions of years ago and the Alterans came to our galaxy to escape the Ori fanatism. I'm looking forward to learning much more about both the Alterans and the Ori.

So far I've really enjoyed this season and look forward to the rest of the season. Glad to have Sam back because I like her character but will be sad to see Vala go because she certainly brings a new and different dyanmic to the show but will be content with having Vala as a recurring character.

Comment

Many people on several threads had questioned the need of the Orii to be "worshipped" and I agreed that beings that sufficiently advanced shouldn't be worried about such petty things. Thing is...in "TPTB" this same thought is voiced by Daniel and Vala during their conversation at the jail. So, it seems to me like the REAL Powers That Be (SG-1 writers & producers) are very aware of this inconsistency and that the actual reason the Orii need/want to be worshipped has not been revealed and will turn out to be much, much darker than we've been led to believe so far. It wouldn't surprise me if the true agenda of the Orii was kept from even the Priors...

Comment

Yes...Not a bad episode..but is sort of explained what happened to the ancients

Comment

This episode just proves that I am going to miss Vala in the future. I think that Claudia Black is monumentally hot, and I really miss her carrying a gun around. Besides I think I was kinda turned on by the Vala Goa'uld voice. [/gushing about Claudia] Thought I did love her Goa'uld outfit too.
                                Okay really I'm done.

Anyway, I have to salute the writers and producers of the show.

I really liked this episode, especially because of how it ended:

SG-1 LOST!!!

They failed, and got their butts handed to them in the process. The only reason they are still alive is because the Prior spared them. I'm looking forward to seeing how widespread the Prior's work will be, and what they may do to worlds that reject them, and the ones that do.
                                It takes a lot of courage to let the story have its own life. Sometimes SG1 feels like they will solve every problem in an hour or two. This time, they didn't. I think this is really interesting. It actually reminds me of Battlestar Gallactica. The good guys don't always win on Battlestar either.

It's going to be a fun ride.

Comment

Working...
                                X