No announcement yet.

The Powers That Be (905)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought this ep was good, and yet bad.

For me, the Ori are increasingly tiresome. I hope they don't go on season after season...this ep was interesting, especially the 'lawyer' part which I thought was the highlight and an interesting debate point.

However, we didn't learn much--I suppose this ep was needed to show the mechanics of how the Ori took control (and I assume, some 35% of the galaxy? estimate). But we didn't learn much--aside from possible Ori manufacturing of the plague. Otherwise, the reason why the Ori need worshipping is still unclear.

And I felt a deeply depreessing sense at the end, that people were going to be hoodwinked all over again, first the Goa'uld, now the Ori...ugh.

And "Hallowed are the Ori" is getting really really annoying. Makes me want to scream!!!

Otherwise, I think there was an interesting subplot with Dr. Lam and Gen. Landry, and I think that Daniel did a good job, Vala was good...

...Teal'c is dangerously close to rivaling the 'Worf syndrome' in the Star Trek movies...aka why is he there? Early on, it starts with tenuous 'visit explanations' and then they give up, and dispense with any explanation at all. But it's not as bad as Worf in the TNG movies, and I'm glad to see Teal'c around.

So, in general I think this ep was needed - to show the casual viewer what the Ori are all about, but essentially it's the bait-and-switch--spread a virus, then cure it and be worshipped as gods. Ugh.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ocalacam
      Many people on several threads had questioned the need of the Orii to be "worshipped" and I agreed that beings that sufficiently advanced shouldn't be worried about such petty things.
      Maybe the why will provide the answer to their downfall.

Maybe they're like the Wraith only they feed off belief.

In the Discworld books, the gods need people to believe in them or they cease to exist. Maybe the Ori are in a similar bind.

Comment

WEll why does my god christian god want me to worship him because hes selfish and he created me u do know the Ori, technically the ancients which they call evil created us and the ori created the other humans.

Comment

I noticed that the info screen for "The powers that be" episode tonight listed the cast as: 'Beau Bridges, Amanda Tapping, ...' (on Dish Network)

Was Amanda Tapping (Sam) in tonight's show and I somehow missed it? Or was that just a fluke on the info screen.

I liked tonight's episode a lot. It brought back a lot of the old Stargate SG1 feel to me. Just wish they would give poor Teal'c a little more air time and flesh out Mitchell's character a little bit more. Pleasantly surprised by this season so far.

Comment

this ep was much better than last weeks 'ties that bind'. everyone seemed to act in character (or more aptly, acted like ppl in these situations would behave), and vala actually showed the depth i'd wanted to see.

didn't like landry putting up with his snotty daughter, though, but i'm sure we're going to see him say 'knock it off!' sooner or later. but liked lam's reaction when landry left her alone in the food court (whatever it's called ).

teal'c is still being wasted. why was he with them anyways?

liked mitchell again!

there were a couple of scenes that felt forced for me (a daniel scene and and a vala scene), but this ep was so far and above better than last weeks that i'll leave it behind me.

i LOVED seeing the coming attractions to sam returning next week!

sally
            sally

sigpic

Comment

I'm thinking it's less about the Ori's desire for worship and more about them imposing their view on others.

In 'Origin' Daniel said that the Book of Origin taught "meditation on one's worth and significance". We also say the Ori "promote" the priest character to a Prior. Unlike the Alterans, the Ori seem to think it is their duty to help those below them ascend. However, in a fit of self-righteous arrogance, they have also apparently decided that all who reject their generous offer are obviously unfit to continue inhabiting the universe.

a time to mourn

Comment

I thought that it was a pretty good ep, if a bit slow at times. Last week I was worried that they were making Vala the token sexy female again but I was back to liking her again this week. However, the show left more than one unanswered question. For one, why was Mitchell the only one to get sick? I guess I'll choose to believe that they'll answer that one in another episode, perhaps in The Fourth Horseman since we know that that one involves disease. At least that's they way that I'll choose to look at it since it's better than just leaving it unanswered. The next thing is that last week Teal'c pretty much said that he wasn't going to be a member of SG-1 again and yet there he was, business as usual, with no explanation. Were the episode orders changed perhaps?

It was yet another Daniel and Vala heavy episode which I don't mind per se but every episode this season has been Daniel and Vala heavy. I do realize that they have Claudia Black for a limited amount of time and have to make good use of that time but I do think that it's negatively affecting Ben Browder's ability to convery any personal aspect of Mitchell that may get the audience to connect with that character. I don't dislike Mitchell and I certainly don't think that Ben Browder is doing anything wrong, he's doing the best with what he's been given but I haven't gotten any real sense of the character yet and I would think that, given the fact that he's the new main character, that that would be a top priority.

As I said, overall it was an enjoyable ep despite it's inconsistancies but I'm really looking forward to see how the dynamic is when Amanda is back next week and I'm actually really excited to see the interaction between her and Vala. Thus far Vala has only really had the menfolk to play off of so it will be interesting to see what Sam makes of her.

It was, is, and always will be GREEN

Comment

I'm basking in these Orii episodes. It's practically the first time in a year that Daniel has gotten the opportunity to be doing all the things I love about him, instead of being a substitute Jack. Passionately defending principles and people, interacting and communicating with cultures, comprehending and working through philosophical and social issues. His going up against the Prior in an attempt to negate his influence was really fabulous, and pretty awe inspiring for the character. Can you imagine keeping a level head facing off with not only a Prior, but the man who recently attempted to send you to your death?

I was thrilled that after five episodes of her, Vala and her background actually became interesting and useful, and we got to see a more human side of her. I have to say that Katesh had great taste in hosts. Vala made a great Goa'uld astetically and she played one very well. I loved the moment between her and Daniel on her throne when she told him she was his god. Vala was just carrying through perfectly, but with all the pain Daniel's suffered at the hands of the Goa'uld, I could feel the seriousness of the moment from his perspective. Frankly, I wish that TPTB had tapped more of the dramatic potential of Vala's background as a host, seeing her reconnect with some experience as a host without copying Cor'ai. That she was a host seems to be used as a plot contrevance more than anything else. After the other five episodes though, I'll take what I can get.

I have to admit that I was terribly slow absorbing the Mitchell is sick thing. It wasn't until the last second of the scene where he's revealed as sick that I realized it was Mitchell I was staring at. I saw the military hair cut and thought, "Hmm, that's not native." Then I looked at Daniel and Vala to figure out who we were missing. Sorry Mitchell. It's not you, it's me, and maybe the fact that I haven't gotten enough of you to connect with.

I really appreciated the fact that this wasn't a happy ending, SG-1 didn't save the day.
                  I must have missed something -- why was Teal'c there? Last week, didn't we see him leave? Don't get me wrong, I'm glad he was -- but an explanation would have been nice.
                  I thought the same thing. They've been explaining why he's come back to earth in the past episodes, but now he's just randomly tagging along? My guess would be that learning more about the Orii is in the Jaffa Nation's best interest. Have to keep up on galactic politics.
                  Landry needs to be doing WAYYYYYY more than talking to his daughter...we never even say Hammond have lunch one time!!!!! Landry needs to be calling the President on the red phone or be in the gate room supervising things.
                  I agree in that I'd like to see more of Landry running the SGC.
                  Still liking Landry and the new doc, although I think that the producers shot themselves in the foot by announcing and promoting their father/daughter relationship even before the season began. It would have played much better as a surprise to the viewers.
                  I was wondering during tonight's episode what I would have thought of them for the past few weeks if I hadn't known the nature of their relationship. It would have been more fun for me, and the show itself seemed to be playing for the slowly reveal it card.

The only other thing that kind of bothered me was how accepting and kind of mellow the natives seemed, I got more of a normal civilized earth vibe from them. Daniel, a stranger, says a few lines about what a Goa'uld is, a completely foreign notion of body snatching to them, and they just assume it's true and move along. And also, they've been revering Vala as a goddess for so long and then as soon as they find out the truth they so easily slip into treating her casually. I was expecting something, denial, panic... I mean, their world was just turned upside down, and Vala was the center of it. Even if they recognize her as just human, their past relationship severly inhibits the quick transition to interacting with her on an equal level. She walked around outside without a second glance from others.
                  Last edited by sparklegem; 13 August 2005, 01:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                    If the Ori created the plague, where do the Wraith fit in? Or did they just run around killing aimlessly?

And if it IS the Ori, does this mean that the plague sample the Atlantis team found in Hot Zone is from the Ori? Because that would severely suck. I'd rather have it be from an enemy who's actually scary and intimidating instead of arrogant and self-absorbed. You know, something slightly different from every other major enemy in SG-1 and Atlantis.
                    Hey ShadowMaat,

Maybe I can answer your questions with more suppositions and generalities. While I agree with you in some context with your issue with the way bad guys present themselves in the stargate universe, I'm here to specifically address the virus/pathogen question.

In normal biological terms, no virus has the capacity to mutate as quickly as is presented in The Powers That Be. At least not with what we've encountered on Earth in real life. The adaptations that the medical team were talking about is probably in reference to (with the highest profile) similar instances in the HIV virus to different antiviral measures that HIV positive patients take to combat the virus. BASICALLY (to the uninitiated), just like bacteria, measures that we take to combat infection like chemical anti-microbials (antibiotics) operate on a chemical specificity that inhibits or kills the pathogen selectively without harming ourselves. However, given that microbial replication times are much shorter than us and happens in greater individual populations as compared to us, they possess a unique ability to adapt to these anti-microbials to render them ineffective or inoperable in a much shorter time than us higher organisms can. So, conceivably, for the Ori to keep the population of that planet relapsing to the plague, they'd have to be actively controlling and modifying the virus to escape the host immune system (interestingly enough, a Goa'ulded entity would be able to last longer than a non-Goa'ulded entity, but would eventually succumb) such that each patient keeps relapsing...given what we know of ascended beings and their ability to transcend and affect matter on many different levels, it's not unheard of.

So, specifically, with regards to the plague that the Ancients were suffering, it's conceivable that it could have been of Ori origin (try saying that ten times fast....gigglez). And given what we know of the robustness of Ancient physiology and the technological means with which they could ensure that health status, it stands to reason that while a mundane infectious agent couldn't fell an Ancient, one that had the assistance of an ascended being could (in real time as well).

With regards to the virus that was encountered in Hot Zone, it's nanotech based. Which means that it might not necessarily be Ori influenced. If an ascended being can use an already formed organic entity like a biological virus to klll an Ancient or it's descendants, why would they use a nanotechnological entity to do so? By it's very nature, that it is susceptible to EM pulses, that it has a predictable infection and pathological pattern rendering it subject to possible treatment, would be a lousy pathogen to inflict on their enemies and descendants. Simply because, it is too easily treated.

Too many unanswered questions arising from unasked questions and unlooked for details remain with regards to the Hot Zone nanovirus. As a scientist, I'd look for more distinguishing features, programming codes, signatures etc, before I'd start to look at who's the culprit.
                    McKAY: Well, you wouldn’t know that from this, would you? This might as well say, “Bing tiddle tiddle bong.” It’s complete gibberish!

Comment

Originally posted by lionel_pendergast_rocks
                      So, General Landry is Dr. Lam's father? When they were fist talking at lunch, I thought they were an old couple, and that would've been really weird. So, what do you guys think about this? It sure makes for some interesting character development.

I wonder if we'll get to meet the mom, or will it be a classic case of the mom has died.

And do you think the other characters know about this?
                      No, don't think they do. Which gives the writers a chance to have the older characters do doubletakes when they work out the connections between these newbies to the SGC. Which could be handled well, or not. Except maybe Sam might know when she returns. She'll probably have done her homework and read up on Lan's history & see he's got children and -oh- one of them is a doctor in the AF named Lam! O.M.G.

But... ahhhhh… I get it now… as evil payback for not being able to have a ship with Sam due to the regs, Jack brings in more ships that smack big time of being against the regs… Cam/Lam and Lam/Lan….. Sneaky sneaky Jack.
                      Convention Pix Shore Leave ('06 to '09), AT2, AT3, & AT4 ('06, '08, & '09), and Vancouver ('07)
                      My SG fanfic! ..Click Here.

Comment

I think the Ori need to bring another doctor back from death....

I would worship them if that happened.

Advice For The New Millenium: A watched torrent never downloads.

Comment

Yeah, I didn't realize it was Mitchell that was sick at first and I've been staring at Ben Browder for, what? six years? Must have been a bad angle or this fangirl is slacking!

You all know this much better than me, but doesn't having a symbiote, even in the past, leave something in your system? Some of that naquahdah or something? Maybe the virus/whatever doesn't infect people with that. Don't know about Daniel, though, unless the sarcophagus does something, too? Everything in the G'ould world seems to work off of naquadah, so maybe that does, too? <-- That may all be totally off the mark, because I don't analyse all the eps the way some of you all do. /// But this part, I think, makes some sense --> Mitchell was the only person there that doesn't have a past history one-on-one with the G'oulds, so maybe that's the connection? If the writers actually have a reason for Mitchell being the only one infected, than I'm guessing it has to do with that, because they kept the med team in their protective gear or else Lam [at least] would be in the same boat as Mitchell, non-G'ould-interaction-wise.

I loved this episode. Still loving season 9. And I agree that it's time for Mitchell to take a more active part. I understand if they are trying not to shove him down everyone's throats [after the preseason media blitz], but now it's time for him to make his move, so to speak.

I like the toning down of Vala, but I'm more excited that Sam will be back next week! I hope the promises of a strong, capable Sam are fulfilled!

Cam/Lam/Lan:
                          Spoiler:
                          Cam & Lam could have had a romantic relationship in the past, as spoilered/rumored. Landry wouldn't necessarily know about it if he was estranged with his wife and daughter, as it appears he is. I doubt even if they weren't estranged, that Lam would tell her father about every guy she dated, especially if it didn't get to the engagement phase. I figure it was a average dating relationship, never got to the engaged/talking about marriage stage and Cam got transferred or Lam moved on to another job. It wasn't that hot & heavy, so they said goodbye amicably and moved on. Just a possibility.

Okay, I have to watch it a few more times to write about anything specific, but a few things I remember... Red Jell-O, hmmm. Where did Vala get the secret file? She had it when she came into the mess. I loved when Vala played with Mitchell's nose and said she'd give them 20%. The quickly lowered it back to 10% when he said something she didn't like.

A lot more Vala/Mitchell interaction. I thought it was fun.
                          Last edited by ChillinTheMost; 13 August 2005, 06:07 AM.

Comment

I appreciated Martin Gero being the writer for this one. He brought a different perspective to the show that we haven't seen in a long time. Had more of a hard edge with a frantic bit going on. Liked the infusion. Also we haven't had Will Waring direct in a while and that was good too. We've seen S9 as a different season and this is more evidence of that.

M-m-m actually found myself liking Vala more in this episode than any of the others. Think the bringing forth more of her 'humanity' than sexuality was the key. The vixen was wearing on me.

DJ became more of the old DJ, the diplomat and talker, rather than the placing more emphasis on his 'tactical' side as has been done over the last season. Props to MS for giving us his all for so long.

If there is one 'nitpick' it is why was Teal'c there? Just didn't get that at all.

Was nice to see this as a episode in which SG1 'lost'. They can't win all of the time. This would be only the 3 or 4th time out of 9 seasons (don't quote me on that) when they 'lost'. Makes the SGC work for what they get.

Liked the 'reveal' of the Laundry/Lam relationship. If you blinked you missed it but it still had a good punch to it. As long as Lam isn't publicly insolent to Laundry this will be a good behind the scenes/character story line. The dynamic between civilian and military is a bit different and Lam's doing okay. If she goes public with her what we've seen as her 'private' insolence he'll be forced to step on her.

Laundry is a different type of leader. You don't make Major General because Congress likes the color of your eyes (all General grad officers are recommended by the President and approved by Congress). He has his own style. Also as general, he has a large staff he trusts to take care of the day-to-day stuff and he does the big things. Laundry's been doing what a general should - in his way. He'll develop more.

Probably the best of S9 so far. The Ori have me, almost, more worried than the Gould ever did. The Ori don't have that sometimes almost comedic edge that the Gould did from S6-S8. These villains walk in and you really worry that they are there and what are they going to do.

Just my humble opinions.
                            sigpic
                            Vancouver 2010
                            Chicago 2010
                            Chicago 2011
                            Jack's CSM

Comment

Brilliant episode, really brilliant episode. Martin Gero definitely should write more often for SG-1. Now I'm going to miss Vala million times more than I thought after next week episode.

My theory on being or not immune to the plague is that being a host to symbiont probably made Vala immune, Daniel as far as I know (didn't see seasons 1-6) ascended and this probably made him immune, Teal'c is Jaffa, they're probably more immune too. Mitchell is a pure human being, so he got sick. Poor Mitchell: "what did I miss?"

Comment

Originally posted by rnwhocares
                                Daniel was never in the episode FROZEN from s6. Maybe he was immune because he was an ascended?
                                That's my theory too.

Comment

Working...
                                X