Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My opinion.

Loved it. Laughed throughout the show.

I see Vala character development all over. We're getting backstory on her all over, and some hints of other emotions. I think those that don't see it were set to ignore it from the start.

Teal'c doesn't have a lot of lines yet, but I'm confident that he will.

Browder is fine, I'm actually enjoying him in his role.

Jackson is great, he's carrying this right now and doing a great job IMO.

A word about SG-1 and it's direction.

I see a lot of people saying that they want SG-1 back. Sorry folks things change. Times change. Actors and actresses change. This is what we have now. We'll not go back to General Hammond, O'Neill leading the team, Dr. Fraiser, etc. Those days are gone.

This mirrors life. Times change, people move on or disappear. So too does SG-1, it changes and evolves.

To me, the measure is: was I entertained? And I was. Was it ths same as the days of old? Don't care. I was entertained, laughed myself silly through parts of it, wondered about the new villians, the political machinations on Earth, etc. Lots of story there, lots setting us up for the rest of the season.

Given all of the circumstances, I think that TPTB have done a great job, and I've enjoyed this episode most of all of them so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Pelagia
      The bedroom scene between Daniel and Vala was spot on. It was totally Daniel; he isn't going to jump some woman's bones no matter how beautiful she looks just because he hasn't got any in a while. They played that scene very well and I liked the extra depth it gave to Vala when she was talking about her past. I think she was telling the truth there.
      See this scene didn’t work for me at all. I started laughing the moment she started the sob story. I don’t know how much of it could be true but I assumed she was just playing Daniel and I felt embarrassed for her and him because I thought he was going to fall for it.

What worked for me in the scene is the same thing that worked in Reckoning II. I thought Daniel was going to be naive and fall for something but then he caught on and made the right decision. I cheered in Reckoning. I didn't cheer in this ep but I did say (to myself) good job Daniel (and the writers). I would hate to think Daniel would be so shallow as to fall for someone who is so obviously using him for her own entertainment. Now Jack or Mitchell I could see them entertaining themselves right back.

I like how no one in the SGC is falling for the Valas game and I hope they keep that up and not make everyone fall to her in the last 2 eps (and whatever eps she is in in the future). Dont get me wrong, I like her character and I think there is much opportunity for her to grow and for the SGC people to learn to respect her, I just don’t think she has earned it yet..... Though I do think she has earned some treasure (this is my new pet peeve, fair is fair... on the other hand she did assault a bunch of air force personnel and steal a ship so maybe they are even now).
      Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
        *snort*
        *snort again*

*another snort*

*hands majorsal a tissue*

Ace
        "Good Morning Dr. Silberman. How's the knee?" - Sarah Connor 1994

Comment

The episode was a farce.

Literally. If I like the characters, I just put my brain in park, then see if I laugh. I did. So, for me the episode was good.

But I think the funniest line was Chris Judge's "As you wish." The delivery was beautiful!

I don't know whether the producers are thinking along these lines or not. But it seems like Daniel hasn't been laid since he descended. Yet it doesn't seem to be because his testicles didn't descend with the rest of him. It feels like there's a little implication that in the back of his mind Daniel is still kind of into the higher plane of existence thing. (No sex there would explain Jack's not wanting to ascend?) So, until he actually finally chooses, sex is too earthy a commitment to make?

pm

Comment

Seriously, this is what a blurb is for. Go find 'yerself' one on Xanga, LiveJournal or MySpace.

What do we get to gain from this thread - nothing really. It's just offtopic, time-wasting fun.

Personal experiences are not always welcome in such an intellectual forum (well.. mostly) but we still love you. ^_^

Comment

Originally posted by MediaSavant
              Ahhhhhh, I was wondering if anyone else noticed that. I think they are leading into something between Cam and Lam (like the sound of that) in a very subtle way.
              C'LAM?

I am so blessed! Cherriey made this cool sig; scarimor made this great Dr. Lee smilie and Spudster made another neat one Dr. Lee RULES!

Myn's fabulous twilight bark smilie:

Comment

In the words of Cam Mitchell, "This is what I'm talkin' 'bout!"

This was the Stargate episode I've been waiting for! Everything about this episode felt different. The characters and their interactions felt more relaxed and story wasn't 'forced' for lack of a better word. I didn't feel as if I had to make myself watch this or try so hard to like it. It was interesting, funny and gave a good bit of background on Vala, who I like much better now that she's calmed down a bit. The bedroom scene with Daniel was great and I am so glad he caught what Vala was doing at the end and threw her out. My, how our boy has grown. Not too long ago, there was a good chance Daniel would have fallen for the sob story. Glad to see he's maintaining his distance with her. I hope it continues.

I liked the look in on how the rest of the universe is coping with the absence of the System Lords. The Lucian Alliance is far more interesting to me than the Orii. I hope we'll see much more of them because I'm a bit tired of all of the super-sized threats to humanity. Don't get me wrong, I loved Apophis and am hoping to see more of Ba'al. There was no one like the Goa'uld and our conflict with them but I'd like to see some good old fashion human and alien bad guys with no extra powers for a change.

For the first time, I could see a Mitchell, Jackson, Vala, Teal'c team without cringing at the thought. The dynamic really flowed this time and I enjoyed it. At the beginning of the show in the infirmary I was ticked to see Mitchell trying not to crack up at the thought of Daniel and Vala were still linked. His reaction was too funny. I liked Mitchell all through out the episode in how he calmly went with the flow with his eyes on the objective while Daniel was slowly going nuts. Teal'c as always, was great and his comment about Mitchell and O'Neill was rather funny. One of the best moments in the show was as the silent exchange between Teal'c and Vala as he was taking leave of everyone in the gateroom. Her saucy grin and wave and his look of exasperated forbearance as he turned away gave me one of the best laughs all night. I thought to myself, 'Ok, this could work." I can see Vala trying her best in trying to get Teal'c to loosen up and his reaction to having to put up with her buzzing around him. Could make for some priceless moments.

Enjoyed Wallace Shawn immensely - always do wherever he shows up. Would like to see Michael P. Northey (Inago) again. As always, our dear Walter was fun to have around.

Great show. If the rest of Season Nine is like this, I’m going to enjoy it very much.
                "You cannot reason with your own heart;
                it has it's own laws and beats about things
                which the intellect scorns."
                - Mark Twain -

Comment

you didn't miss anything.

As usual, the episode had TOO much of Vala, and not enough *STARGATE* material. Basically, the episode was to reiterate how much of a ***** Vala is.
                  'A guy told me one time, "Don't let yourself get attached to anything you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you feel the heat around the corner." '
                  --Neil McCauley
                  Heat

Comment

I did enjoy Wallace Shawn, too. I love the quirky sound of his voice. Can anyone tell me where we've seen him before?
                    Hatshepsut, Queen Pharaoh

Comment

Overall it was another quite enjoyable episode. Season 9 has been quite good so far

-I agree with those who said this was kinda a fun episode after the seriousness of the opening trilogy

-Mitchell was a lot better this episode. Hopefully that will continued. He was more subdued.

-While the plot was cliched, I still really enjoyed it. The thing I liked the most was that we got to see different planets and different costumes.....something we were missing in season 8. They went to four planets, it was great.

-I like how they are handling the Teal'c situation, how he's not just rejoining the team.

-Daniel and Vala are wonderful....the bantering never gets old. Michael and Claudia really click together. I wonder if Vala really was serious when she was confiding to Daniel in the bedroom, or was it an act. Was her, "did it work" a defense mechanism, or was it all a work?

-Speaking of the bedroom scene, is Daniel insane? What the hell was he thinking! Did he see Vala? He has a lot more will (or stupidity....whatever you want to call it) than I would.

-Finally Vala in the Washington scene. Holy crap she looked unbelievable. I know a lot the the ladies liked seeing Daniel and Mitchell in leather, but Vala in leather (and a short skirt to boot) was equally as good for the male demo.

A solid light hearted episode. Feeling good about season 9 so far.

Out...

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                        Ok, we've had our little romp around the universe. We've been introduced to the new guy, the new baddies, and a potential new ally.

I'm sure others are having a great time with the season thus far, but for me, I'm REALLY ready to have my team back.

Enough with the fun and games...
                        I WANT MY SG-1!!!!

*Chants to self* Only two more weeks... Only two more weeks.
                        You are not alone - so do I. I wish I could tell what has been airing at 8 p.m. on Friday's when I choose to turn on skiffy . . . I continue to be baffled.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCorpulent1
                          The Lucian Alliance seems interesting and a logical follow-up to the Goa'uld's demise as rulers of the galaxy. Lots of good story potential there for expanding the picture of galactic politics.

I agree w/ this sentiment exactly. After thousands of years of Goa'uld domination, the power vaccuum that has just occurred is bound to have sudden, far-reaching effects in the galaxy. It will be interesting to hear more about them (and not JUST the Lucian Alliance). In fact, instead of immediately throwing a "new" big threat to Earth at us (the Ori), we could have spent a few weeks delving into the new factions and power struggles that are occurring in the galaxy. Instead, we're immediately introduced to our new enemy: glowing-eyed beings who want to be worshipped as gods. Oops, wait.... those were the OLD enemies. No, no, wait again, those are the NEW enemies, right? Crap, now I'm confused.

Also, Corpulent1's comment about the new gadgets on the cargo ship was very valid... if that one guy could modify the ship to emit the major pulse beam & knock out the other ships, why didn't anyone think to find out how he did it so that something similar can be installed on our ships? Not to mention the other ways he tricked out that cargo ship.

Comment

You know, I can't get over how disappointed I am with the show. Here's my post from page 4 for reference:

Okay, this was horrible. Horrible, horrible. I hated it. I don't mind comedic episodes, but this just wasn't funny. At all. Joe Mallozzi calls this "a more comedic episode" and it is, but the Avalons and Origin weren't that serious either. Where did my favorite tv show go? Look at previous season premieres... look at previous comedic episodes like Window of Opportunity. I was watching Meridian, Abyss and Memento the other day, THAT is the Stargate I love. This is not. Please, producers, stop trying to be too funny.

* Vala is horrible. I thought I was growing to like her, but I hate her. I won't argue that her outfits were damn sexy though.
                            * Daniel. What the ***** happened to Daniel? Where is the intelligent, well spoken, ex-ascended Dr. Jackson we know and love?
                            * Why does it seem like Teal'c's role has been reduced?
                            * When is Mitchell going to be the true new hero of SG-1?

I liked the Avalons and Origin, but it's just not on par with previous season openings. Don't get me wrong, I like the idea behind the new direction and the Ori as villains (they seem awesome to me, just don't let them speak like the Queen of England all the time), but I just don't like the way those ideas are turned into actual shows. Here's hoping that future episodes are more serious ("we're gonna take the show seriously again", yeah right Joe) and more like old times, just with the new Ori / Mitchell flavor. And dump Vala. Forever. Because...

I want my favorite show back.
                            This is my favorite show, I look forward to it every week, and this has been the first episode in the history of the show that I just wanted to end. I even liked Emancipation better than this. Avalon/Origin wasn't that serious compared to other season premieres/big revelation episodes and this was just awful. TPTB are not taking the story seriously at all (and yes, I do know that TTB is meant as a comedic episode). I just want Vala to leave. I HATE the sexual jokes. What are we, high school juniors? I HATE it that the show is now totally ridiculous (Vala...) whereas in previous seasons it seemed like a serious show with a serious military feel to it. This is just some space adventure ****. Now I'm sure Claudia Black is wonderful, she seems lovely in every interview I've seen her in, but I just hate the character she is portraying (even though she is sooo sexy).

So now I'm not looking forward to the next episode at all (although knowing that Martin Gero wrote it gives me at least a little bit of good hope...). Summary: SG-1 visits a world whose people once worshipped Vala as a god -- and demand that she stand trial when she confesses to manipulating them. ANOTHER EPISODE OF THE VALA SHOW. END IT ALREADY.

Also, from the spoilers page: When Daniel (Michael Shanks) and Vala (Claudia Black) attempt to undo the teachings of the Ori on a distant planet... -- WHY? Why, why, WHY is the SGC allowing Vala to go on a mission with Dr. Jackson?

I REALLY hope that things will turn out to be fine when Amanda Tapping returns to the show. I hope that this semi-comedic and childish bull**** will be over with and that the show returns to what it used to be, because this has just kinda ruined my day (yeah I'm a sad nerd, hehe ) as I desperately want to like my favorite show and look forward to its next episode... but it doesn't excite me at all (again, my only hope comes from knowing that Martin Gero wrote it). Hopefully, episode 7, when Vala will be GONE, is the REAL start of season 9.

I can't believe I've turned into one of the haters, but sadly, it's what I feel.

That said, Atlantis' "Duet" was awesome. But that's for another thread.
                            Last edited by George Costanza; 06 August 2005, 10:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hatusu
                              I did enjoy Wallace Shawn, too. I love the quirky sound of his voice. Can anyone tell me where we've seen him before?
                              Wallace Shawn has been in many things, but you're probably recognising the voice from Star Trek: Deep Space Nine. He played Zek, the Ferengi Grand Negus who fell in love with Quark's mother. He was also in The Princess Bride and did a great job in it. He's a great comedic actor. I always enjoy seeing him and I hope we see him again in SG-1.
                              "You cannot reason with your own heart;
                              it has it's own laws and beats about things
                              which the intellect scorns."
                              - Mark Twain -

Comment

Zek, the Grand Negas!!! That's it! Thanks.
                                Hatshepsut, Queen Pharaoh

Comment

Working...
                                X