No announcement yet.

The Ties That Bind (904)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I really enjoyed this episode. It went really fast for me - didn't have time to make popcorn until Atlantis came on.

I have to echo other posters who have said that this is a nice break from the "heavy exposition, intro the new characters and the new bad guys" that was required in the Avalon/Origins 3-parter. SG-1 has been doing stand-alone funny following angst episodes for quite a few seasons, I'm surprised it still chafes people that they lighten it up from time to time. I'm struggling with BSG right now because its so dense and gloom/doom oriented all the time. Everyone needs to lighten up.

BTW: I'm officially in favor of integrating "undercover rawhide" into the standard uniform set.

Wallace Shawn talking about his relationship with Vala was hilarious. Loved the "walking fingers" visual aid. MS and BB really reacted well in that scene: very, very uncomfortable. Did anyone else get the feeling that Ben couldn't stop laughing in a few scenes (especially when Daniel and Cam were watching Vala and Arnos)? Cameron kept covering his mouth to hold it back. Whether it was Cam or Ben, it was fun to watch in any case. I'd love to see the bloopers from this type of ep.

Like most of the ep, Vala in Daniel's bedroom scene was derivative (though I'm not sure what isn't anymore) but hilarious. Most comedy is based in the fact that you absolutely understand what the scene is and they turn it on its head with character, zingers and well timed delivery. I love that Daniel almost went for it and Vala almost told the truth. Fabulous timing. "Are you messing with me?" "Is it working?"

Having said that, Vala being in the senate committee room in Washington felt a little too contrived, even for this kind of ep. But that's a small enough nitpick to let drop easily.

Loved whatever Cam, Lam and Landry were playing in the elevator scene. They were also obviously uncomfortable about some piece of backstory or another, but its hard to conclude what. I like that they're slowly peeling the onion for some of these characters. It's the journey, not just the destination.

Favorite lines:
    "OK...Goodbye"
    "Undercover Rawhide"
    "Are you messing with me?" "Is it working?"
    "Cam Mitchell, Bounty Hunter"
    "...you look like a Raiders Fan"
    Wallace Shawn's whole scene about getting carnal with Vala. Too much!

I know they're taking as much advantage of having Claudia Black on set as they can (and I'm totally loving it). But I'm also looking forward to the band getting back together. I'm ready to welcome back Sam and hopefully more Teal'c. Though it means Vala will disappear and I hate to see her dynamic within the team leave. I'm also looking forward to Mitchell having more to do (because I know that BB will bring so much to that character).

But that will happen soon enough. In the meantime, I'm not overlooking the SG-1 gems before that happens.

Comment

Well, that was fun!

Yes, it was a romp. I know someone here didn't care for that, at least not yet, but I like the stand-alone episodes more than the arc ones. I know many people love heavy arcs, and that's cool, however, I'm just the opposite. [Which makes it weird that I am such a huge FarScape fan.]

It looks like Landry wants something to happen between Mitchell and the doctor. Or it already is, or has in the past or whatever. I don't know that I mind it, but I don't want to delve into personal lives too much and I don't want this show to be romance driven.

Mitchell calling Daniel "Jackson" does sound weird, but I wonder if that's just because we're not used to it? I think it is natural for Mitchell to call teammates [sports/work/whatever] by their last names. I think it shows that he thinks of Daniel as an equal in many ways. I think Jack sometimes saw himself as Daniel's protector. Almost as a father figure, so, of course he would call him "Daniel". Mitchell expects Daniel to take care of himself and be an equal in the "soldier" area, along with his archeological expertise. Looked at that way, I think it's a good thing and Daniel deserves to be treated as self-reliant. Although, it does sound weird right now.

Browder looked comfortable in the duster and other gear, didn't he? They both looked hot. "Do you think Landry will add them to the rotation?" Hee. [I've only seen it once, so I'm going to butcher all the quotes. Sorry.]

"Thanks, we've got the picture. A very disturbing, scary picture."

Comment

I don't think Vala has gone back to PU Vala. I think there is more playfulness to her actions now, a real affection for Daniel. In PU, I think her motivation was more selfish, more as a means to an end. The "end" being getting the ship. Now she seems like she just likes teasing Daniel. And she likes to have fun. She's bored hanging around the SGC and teasing and goofing around are fun for her. I think she expected Daniel to turn her down when she was in his room. She seemed more disappointed that their bantering was over and he was sending her away than that he didn't want to have sex with her.

I also think this is why Daniel turned her down. Daniel isn't adverse to having sex with Vala, but it's become a contest or a game. She teases, he turns her down. For him to give in now means Vala "wins". It's a game they're playing and, while I think they've built a friendship and affection, they don't really have a hot romance burning, so nobody is really losing. It's just fun for both of them.

Comment

Irritating, boring, boring, irritating, Aschen, boring. Oh my, I just looked it up. Sorry, Joeseph Mallozzi and Paul Mullie. I love you guys, but not this show.

I really like Claudia Black as an actress, but I find the Vala character so irritating that I want to fast forward the Vala sections. Unfortunately, I couldn't because it wasn't a recording. During one scene, I was so bored, I found myself examining Michael Shanks' worry lines. The only time I perked up was during that scene with General Landry and the female officer. She seemed competent and intelligent. TPTB are listening! Thanks.

Speaking of "The Powers That Be" I am soooo not looking forward to next week. It's another Vala focused show, but I liked "Origin" so I'll try to keep an open mind about it.
          Hatshepsut, Queen Pharaoh

Comment

Um...was there a point to this ep? Because it seems like it just went in a big painful circle with no resolution whatsoever.

Oh that's right, this ep showed Vala in all her "glory". Eesh, Vala went from decent way back down to "can't wait until she's gone" for me. From stealing things in the beginning to lying about her past to get Daniel in bed to running her mouth at the hearing it was one trainwreck after another. Jeez, does she think before opening her mouth? So she's basically a child in a woman's body. Lovely. Why on earth SGC puts up with her is beyond me. Oh, wait, the bracelet effect. How convenient... Can we have Sam back now?

Seriously, if Daniel falls for her he's going down several notches in my book. "Oh yes, she's manipulative, completely unapologetic for keeping me from going to Atlantis, steals and breaks things, and has no interest in what I do...but she's so hot..." Blech.

On a side note, the divide between SGC and Atlantis may grow a bit larger since Atlantis got such a large chunk of govt money and the SGC is threatened with downsizing. Landry seemed none too pleased either.

Comment

Originally posted by jyh
              Re Vala at the Senate committee meeting..... While I realize the reason she had to go to Washington (the "ties that bind"), there's nothing that says she has to be in the SAME ROOM with Daniel at all times. She could have sat (under guard) out in the hallway, or they could have locked her in a storage room in the senate building, or even left her at the hotel for up to an hour. Yes, I realize it's dangerous to leave her even with a guard (witness the fact that she was in Daniel's room), but I can't believe Landry would have actually allowed her in the same room with the senators. That's bush league.
              I can see what you're saying and you even used some of my rebuttal in your argument [can't trust her to leave her in a hotel or even under guard], but maybe they didn't want to draw attention to the fact that they have an out of control [sort of] alien with them. Maybe explaining why they need a nearby room with guards during the hearing would be detrimental to what they are trying to accomplish. Making her seem like part of the team and hoping she doesn't say anything may have seemed like their best bet. They may have just been giving ammunition to their nay-sayers by making them think the SGC can't control the results of meeting new aliens.

However, who bought that outfit for her? Something a little more professional would have been appropriate, I think.

I did like how the lady on the panel laughed at what Vala was saying.

Comment

I liked this ep. Will say more later. But did anyone notice how they've changed the wormholes? They're more like Atlantis now.

Comment

I noticed. The wormhole's actually identical to Atlantis' now, just blue instead of teal. I can't say I like it much. The old wormhole was just fine.
                  Thornbird: I'm Major Robort Thornbird. And you are?
                  Jack: Captain James T. Kirk of the starship Enterprise.
                  Thornbird: Your dog tags say otherwise.
                  Jack: ... They're lying.

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
                    This Vala the amoral trader who makes some sexual crack every 2 minutes has really gotten old. A little goes a long way. The writers lost a great opportunity, IMHO, to give her *some* substance. In a one shot or 2 shot deal, you don't need much development. But come on, we've got her for 6 episodes! Give us something. And what a waste of CB.
                    I agree. I found the episode boring. Not awful, just boring. I really do believe that these first 6 episodes are mostly just long drawn-out filler until AT returns and Stargate REALLY starts. The writers seem to be playing the exact same tune week after week and it's so very DULL. When I think of what they could be giving CB to do, and this is the stupidity they saddle her with...it makes me want to throw things at the screen. How many times do we have to have to listen to the same sad little high school tease scenerio?

This has got to be the longest set-up in scifi history for the next bad guys...four eps in and who are we defending earth against again, really? Vala and her wisecracks, apparently.

Comment

Once again, posting my opinion without reading, so it's all mine...

I haven't been reading much lately but I'm sure there are some here that will want to get out the tar and feathers for what I'm about to say. You've been warned.

I liked this episode.

Just as I've liked the three episodes that came before it this season. It's nice to see that the writers have found something to be excited about again. I didn't care for last season all that much. I am really enjoying how fresh this season feels. It's nice to see the same old Daniel and Teal'c get to mix it up with new people. I like Landry and the new doc and I'm loving Mitchell and Vala--could be that I'm a Farscape fan but I doubt it since these characters aren't John and Aeryn.

Ready with the tar and feathers?

I like Vala. I REALLY like Vala. She cracks me up. I loved the my-what-tangled-webs-we-weave feeling of last night's ep. Too funny, the path of destruction she has left across the galaxy! I love that she is such a hussy too and that it gives poor Daniel such consternation! I love that she is so different from Aeryn! Claudia has great comic timing but you never would have known it before because Aeryn was so serious. CB really seems to be enjoying vamping it up as Vala and I think that energy comes through. It's refreshing and fun and a totally new direction for SG-1. So flame away.

I like Mitchell. I hope the writers are planning to give him a little more to do soon bc I do feel like he is being a bit underutilized at the moment. So I hope to see more of him next week. I also hope to see more of Teal'c--I miss him. Seems a bit Daniel-heavy of late so I hope to see a bit more balance. Nothing against Daniel, he's been fine, I just want to see more of everyone else too.

Hope you've got more tar and feathers ready (or maybe a boiling vat of oil for this one)...

I'm glad to say that I am finally enjoying my favorite show again. Instead of lamenting the demise of what was once my favorite show, I can be happy about it again. I'm sure the fandom will come along and pee in my proverbial cheerios any time now but that's how I feel. I'm not sure I miss Sam all that much at the moment (read on before you flog me please) and that's a testament to how much I'm enjoying things again--that the writers can make the eps interesting enough to make me not miss one of my fave characters while she's gone. I hope that her return will be as fresh as the rest of the season has been.

Seriousness done, feel free to give us more of the boys in leather, PTBs. I thought I had died and gone to heaven when Ben took that coat off in the cargo ship. *drools* Who knew that the man could get better looking with age?

Okay, I think I'm all done, feel free to flame away...
                      Marimba FBI - Video Surveillance Division
                      Lemming #25 Frothing Fan Lemming

Vids by Marimba, Tamefarrar and Ruralstar!
                      Big hugs to Ruralstar for the banner!

Comment

Originally posted by akimbo
                        BTW: I'm officially in favor of integrating "undercover rawhide" into the standard uniform set.
                        Second! *raises hand*

All in favor?

I will DEFINITELY vote for this!
                        Marimba FBI - Video Surveillance Division
                        Lemming #25 Frothing Fan Lemming

Vids by Marimba, Tamefarrar and Ruralstar!
                        Big hugs to Ruralstar for the banner!

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
                          where's stargate sg1?

i felt like i was watching a different show, just sexed up to attract a different audience (that made me sad). a sex romp with daniel and vala.

i miss stargate sg1.
                          I totally agree! IMO, they should have stopped after season 8. There's no real chain of command anymore. People go as the please through the gate. The new Colonel is nothing more than a background character. BB has no presence as a lead character whatsoever. And SG1's real storyline now is when Daniel going to knock boots with Vala, rather than defeating the new foes.

Comment

Originally posted by OpenTheGateSG1
                            I totally agree! IMO, they should have stopped after season 8. There's no real chain of command anymore. People go as the please through the gate. The new Colonel is nothing more than a background character. BB has no presence as a lead character whatsoever. And SG1's real storyline now is when Daniel going to knock boots with Vala, rather than defeating the new foes.
                            There's no chain of command among SG-1's members because there IS no SG-1. As for the SGC, I don't see how there's a lack of the chain of command; part of the very plot of this episode was about the limitations of the chain of command, considering Landry's civilian superiors in the government cut the SGC's funding. Where did anyone come and go as they pleased through the gate?
                            Thornbird: I'm Major Robort Thornbird. And you are?
                            Jack: Captain James T. Kirk of the starship Enterprise.
                            Thornbird: Your dog tags say otherwise.
                            Jack: ... They're lying.

Comment

Okay.. mixed opinion..

First I feel dissapointed that this episode wasn't more then just a fun, adventure romp. I guess I just figured there'd be something more serious to deal with. But this little adventure was, I suppose, the calm after the storm.

Then again, it WAS quite amusing and, I suppose, an interesting look into Vala's world. I espeically really liked the scene when she was trying to seduce Daniel and she told that sob story, which I thought may have been true, but I suppose not. I suspect sometime soon we'll get an expansion of her character. Or I hope so.

The political angle is interesting and I'm glad it wasn't overdone or anything (we had enough of that last season ><) and I did feel upset that the government doesn't see the power of the Orii, which I suspect we'll really get to see soon enough.

Characters were all fun, most notably Daniel and Vala, as they were definately the stars of this episode.

And well.. uh... not much else to say, really. The Ties That Bind is a fun, adventrous romp of an episode, though slightly dissapointing for me because I expected more. I imagine I'll come to appreciate it more after I've seen the rest of Season 9.

Season 9 still keeps its promise and I'm still happily looking forward to next week.

7/10. GW Poll Rating: Good.

PS: One last thing... WHAT is WITH the change to the wormhole effect?? I really like the old one, I don't get why they changed it. It wasn't even for any logical reason. Like, if they were traveling to another galaxy then I would understand.. but.. they aren't..

Comment

I enjoyed this episode. I didn't find it as riviting as the first three, but I still liked it. I'm really dreading the return of Sam, though. I'd much rather keep Vala, a serious Vala, around as part of the team.

What I didn't enjoy about this episode was what I didn't like about Prometheus Unbound: I felt like I was watching the ACTORS, rather than the characters, if that makes any sense. But it didn't really detract that much from me enjoying the episode.

It irks me that Mitchell calls Daniel "Jackson." It sounds odd and disrespectful, since Daniel asked him to call him Daniel in the very first episode.

The bedroom scene between Daniel and Vala was spot on. It was totally Daniel; he isn't going to jump some woman's bones no matter how beautiful she looks just because he hasn't got any in a while. They played that scene very well and I liked the extra depth it gave to Vala when she was talking about her past. I think she was telling the truth there.

I thought the scene in Washington was too silly for words, but I do like that it brought up something that may happen in future eps: The watchdog thing.

All in all, a good episode, nothing meaty, but fun to watch.

Comment

Working...
                                X