No announcement yet.

The Ties That Bind (904)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can understand the need to try to re-invent the show after 8 years. From listening to the commentaries, they thought they might even be starting a new show called "Stargate Command". Introducing new characters, new themes and yes, new relationships would be important for such a venture.

Unlike many, I like Vala. I like how her character develops over the course of the seasons and the influence she has on Daniel and vice versa.
    Calculus and Alcohol don't mix. Never drink and derive.

Comment

An average Season 9 episode.

Vala hitting on the committee head was funny.

Watching the Visual Effects for this I thought to myself, "This might be Mark Savela's first SG-1 episode," and I was right.

Tomorrow, a lot of people start dying, I think.
      sigpic

Comment

An episode where I didn't have to hear "Hallowed are the Ori"!!!

It was interesting for the fact that we got to see a little bit more of the galaxy and how people were adjusting after the fall of the Goa'uld. The fallout from lives changing suddenly from servitude and terror to having even that as a familiar constant removed must have been a bit of shock for many former occupied worlds. Interesting to note that some even felt it was a bad thing being free of the Goa'uld, their lives became worse!

Of course the Lucian Alliance start to muscle in and turn out to be no better by claiming things for themselves.

Vala's disingenuous fawning over men got tiresome very fast! Don't know who in the SGC would have got that outfit for Vala to wear to the meeting in Washington?! Seriously, I would have thought she would have been given the business suit for this occasion! It's making her 'sexy' at every turn that really went overboard for me.

I feel it took much away from her character development, we know she's 'sexy' and can make men lust after her, but this constant forcing of this 'sex object' theme just made me think she was totally shallow when we know from 'Prometheus Unbound' that she was a pretty intelligent and resourceful woman. She would have accessed the cargo ship's door control mechanisim in a second, but Daniel ignored that and it's ignoring her talents in this field that I guess made me frustrated with her character.

Comment

A pretty funny ep I reckon. All the different stuff the crew has to go through to get what they want. But in the end it was all for nothing haha.

The start of the Lucian Alliance as well. They will be a pain in Universe.
          sigpic

Comment

Daniel - Leather.....'nuff said...

Deeds xx *wallowing in the shallow part of re-watch - life's too short to analyse*
            sigpic
            Thanks to slizzie1986 for signature
            MSOL - Official Website of Michael Shanks

Comment

This episode reminds me of a M*A*S*H episode. The whole lets swap this device for this other device is done a lot of times in comedies. And that is how this episode should be approached. If you take the episode to be seriously then the episode falls on its feet because the episode is meant to be funny. The interaction of Vala's past makes it funny becuase of the crazy and humerous antics of her former partners. While the humor is what makes this episode awesome its also what dooms the episode. Because this is an humor episode its hard to take the Lucian Alliance seriously in this episode and the rest of S9 and S10. It took SGU to take them seriously. The episode also lacks a conclusion as the bracelets are still connecting them. I kind of disliked how that storyline was solved
              Originally posted by aretood2
              Jelgate is right

Comment

I decided to give the new SG1 another episode...

1. First time round...well reread by '05 post, I gave up on the show after this ep.

2. This time round well...it wasn't bad but it was just meh. It felt like filler. I suppose that's an improvement.

3. Vala...still a bit nuts.

4. Mitchell. Not his finest hour.

Ah well..I'll stick with this for the rewatch still...the ep partially redeemed itself...
                I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

This one was kind of boring. Don't really like Vala that much. Seemed like a filler episode, dragging out - And it was all for nothing in the end. Do we even get to know what happens with the Lucians? I hope so ...

Comment

A very middle of the road episode for me. Kind of reminded me of two different DS9 episodes, one serious and one funny.

I think the only reason I didn't hate this episode is because I'm a fan of Ms Black. However, she couldn't push it into love levels. I think we been getting to much Daniel of late. I like the actor but don't need to see him so much.

Comment

No, we shalln'tis the best line ever!!!!
                      I love CB and MS in this scene - great, absolutely great.
                      The ep was okay but I'll never forget that scene in Jackson's room.
                      CARPE DIEM
                      ANJA

Comment

Apple and egg swap, Stargate style!

The Stargate budget is second to the story of Daniel trying to separate the link with Vala. It's basically Vala and the boys going on an adventure to trade all that she stole or scammed from their "rightful" owners in order for her Argos (that's his name, right) to help them.

It's a fun episode with lots of great lines, moments and character moments.

Also, nice pulse pistol Vala was pointing at Inago.
                        It wasn't a Farscape one but it sure looked similar enough.

And those stills showing the city and that pyramid ship -- re-use of material from much older episodes. I think we haven't seen that city since season 1 The Broca Divide, and the pyramid ship... well, some Goa'uld occupied planet with a mining operation in one of the early seasons perhaps.

How would you rate SG-1's "The Ties That Bind"?

Excellent

Good
                        Fair
                        Poor
                        Terrible

********** EDIT ***********

3-episode quiz: The Ties That Bind, The Powers That Be & Beachhead

Jigsaw puzzle: The Ties That Bind
                        Last edited by Falcon Horus; 11 July 2020, 02:16 PM. Reason: Adding quiz and jigsaw links...
                        Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

I always loved thsi scene :

CAIUS
                          However, it has been a bittersweet season for us, since coincidentally, around the same time you made your gracious donation, the shrine's most precious relic, the Livanna crystal, mysteriously disappeared.

DANIEL
                          (falsely shocked)
                          No!

VALA
                          Yes, it is shocking the depths some people will plumb.

"I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

4:31
                            http://i.imgur.com/gDxdl9E.gif

​ ​

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
                              I always loved thsi scene :

CAIUS
                              However, it has been a bittersweet season for us, since coincidentally, around the same time you made your gracious donation, the shrine's most precious relic, the Livanna crystal, mysteriously disappeared.

DANIEL
                              (falsely shocked)
                              No!

VALA
                              Yes, it is shocking the depths some people will plumb.

The depths Vala will plumb...
                              It's absolutely shocking...
                              Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

I love this episode for the humor. Yes the exchange trope is an old one but I think it's hilarious watching how Vala cons and steals. SG1 has never taken itself seriously and this one is no exception. If you get serious, this has holes but it's not met to. And unlike Mitchell I like the image of Vala dancing naked.

I gjve it a good with 3:17
                                Originally posted by aretood2
                                Jelgate is right

Comment

Working...
                                X