Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast

Default Re: The Ties That Bind (904)

Quote Originally Posted by jyh
    Re Vala at the Senate committee meeting..... While I realize the reason she had to go to Washington (the "ties that bind"), there's nothing that says she has to be in the SAME ROOM with Daniel at all times. She could have sat (under guard) out in the hallway, or they could have locked her in a storage room in the senate building, or even left her at the hotel for up to an hour. Yes, I realize it's dangerous to leave her even with a guard (witness the fact that she was in Daniel's room), but I can't believe Landry would have actually allowed her in the same room with the senators. That's bush league.
    I can see what you're saying and you even used some of my rebuttal in your argument [can't trust her to leave her in a hotel or even under guard], but maybe they didn't want to draw attention to the fact that they have an out of control [sort of] alien with them. Maybe explaining why they need a nearby room with guards during the hearing would be detrimental to what they are trying to accomplish. Making her seem like part of the team and hoping she doesn't say anything may have seemed like their best bet. They may have just been giving ammunition to their nay-sayers by making them think the SGC can't control the results of meeting new aliens.

However, who bought that outfit for her? Something a little more professional would have been appropriate, I think.

I did like how the lady on the panel laughed at what Vala was saying.

I liked this ep. Will say more later. But did anyone notice how they've changed the wormholes? They're more like Atlantis now.

I noticed. The wormhole's actually identical to Atlantis' now, just blue instead of teal. I can't say I like it much. The old wormhole was just fine.
    Thornbird: I'm Major Robort Thornbird. And you are?
    Jack: Captain James T. Kirk of the starship Enterprise.
    Thornbird: Your dog tags say otherwise.
    Jack: ... They're lying.

Default Re: Major spoilers from tonights episode

Quote Originally Posted by jckfan55
    This Vala the amoral trader who makes some sexual crack every 2 minutes has really gotten old. A little goes a long way. The writers lost a great opportunity, IMHO, to give her *some* substance. In a one shot or 2 shot deal, you don't need much development. But come on, we've got her for 6 episodes! Give us something. And what a waste of CB.
    I agree. I found the episode boring. Not awful, just boring. I really do believe that these first 6 episodes are mostly just long drawn-out filler until AT returns and Stargate REALLY starts. The writers seem to be playing the exact same tune week after week and it's so very DULL. When I think of what they could be giving CB to do, and this is the stupidity they saddle her with...it makes me want to throw things at the screen. How many times do we have to have to listen to the same sad little high school tease scenerio?

This has got to be the longest set-up in scifi history for the next bad guys...four eps in and who are we defending earth against again, really? Vala and her wisecracks, apparently.

Skydiving like the good lemming I am...;)

Once again, posting my opinion without reading, so it's all mine...

I haven't been reading much lately but I'm sure there are some here that will want to get out the tar and feathers for what I'm about to say. You've been warned.

I liked this episode.

Just as I've liked the three episodes that came before it this season. It's nice to see that the writers have found something to be excited about again. I didn't care for last season all that much. I am really enjoying how fresh this season feels. It's nice to see the same old Daniel and Teal'c get to mix it up with new people. I like Landry and the new doc and I'm loving Mitchell and Vala--could be that I'm a Farscape fan but I doubt it since these characters aren't John and Aeryn.

Ready with the tar and feathers?

I like Vala. I REALLY like Vala. She cracks me up. I loved the my-what-tangled-webs-we-weave feeling of last night's ep. Too funny, the path of destruction she has left across the galaxy! I love that she is such a hussy too and that it gives poor Daniel such consternation! I love that she is so different from Aeryn! Claudia has great comic timing but you never would have known it before because Aeryn was so serious. CB really seems to be enjoying vamping it up as Vala and I think that energy comes through. It's refreshing and fun and a totally new direction for SG-1. So flame away.

I like Mitchell. I hope the writers are planning to give him a little more to do soon bc I do feel like he is being a bit underutilized at the moment. So I hope to see more of him next week. I also hope to see more of Teal'c--I miss him. Seems a bit Daniel-heavy of late so I hope to see a bit more balance. Nothing against Daniel, he's been fine, I just want to see more of everyone else too.

Hope you've got more tar and feathers ready (or maybe a boiling vat of oil for this one)...

I'm glad to say that I am finally enjoying my favorite show again. Instead of lamenting the demise of what was once my favorite show, I can be happy about it again. I'm sure the fandom will come along and pee in my proverbial cheerios any time now but that's how I feel. I'm not sure I miss Sam all that much at the moment (read on before you flog me please) and that's a testament to how much I'm enjoying things again--that the writers can make the eps interesting enough to make me not miss one of my fave characters while she's gone. I hope that her return will be as fresh as the rest of the season has been.

Seriousness done, feel free to give us more of the boys in leather, PTBs. I thought I had died and gone to heaven when Ben took that coat off in the cargo ship. *drools* Who knew that the man could get better looking with age?

Okay, I think I'm all done, feel free to flame away...
    Marimba FBI - Video Surveillance Division
    Lemming #25 Frothing Fan Lemming
    http://www.marimba26.com/Banners/marimba.jpg

Vids by Marimba, Tamefarrar and Ruralstar!
    Big hugs to Ruralstar for the banner!

Skydiving like the good lemming I am...;)

Quote Originally Posted by akimbo
    BTW: I'm officially in favor of integrating "undercover rawhide" into the standard uniform set.
    Second! *raises hand*

All in favor?

I will DEFINITELY vote for this!
    Marimba FBI - Video Surveillance Division
    Lemming #25 Frothing Fan Lemming
    http://www.marimba26.com/Banners/marimba.jpg

Vids by Marimba, Tamefarrar and Ruralstar!
    Big hugs to Ruralstar for the banner!

Quote Originally Posted by majorsal
    where's stargate sg1?

i felt like i was watching a different show, just sexed up to attract a different audience (that made me sad). a sex romp with daniel and vala.

i miss stargate sg1.
    I totally agree! IMO, they should have stopped after season 8. There's no real chain of command anymore. People go as the please through the gate. The new Colonel is nothing more than a background character. BB has no presence as a lead character whatsoever. And SG1's real storyline now is when Daniel going to knock boots with Vala, rather than defeating the new foes.

Quote Originally Posted by OpenTheGateSG1
    I totally agree! IMO, they should have stopped after season 8. There's no real chain of command anymore. People go as the please through the gate. The new Colonel is nothing more than a background character. BB has no presence as a lead character whatsoever. And SG1's real storyline now is when Daniel going to knock boots with Vala, rather than defeating the new foes.
    There's no chain of command among SG-1's members because there IS no SG-1. As for the SGC, I don't see how there's a lack of the chain of command; part of the very plot of this episode was about the limitations of the chain of command, considering Landry's civilian superiors in the government cut the SGC's funding. Where did anyone come and go as they pleased through the gate?
    Thornbird: I'm Major Robort Thornbird. And you are?
    Jack: Captain James T. Kirk of the starship Enterprise.
    Thornbird: Your dog tags say otherwise.
    Jack: ... They're lying.

Okay.. mixed opinion..

First I feel dissapointed that this episode wasn't more then just a fun, adventure romp. I guess I just figured there'd be something more serious to deal with. But this little adventure was, I suppose, the calm after the storm.

Then again, it WAS quite amusing and, I suppose, an interesting look into Vala's world. I espeically really liked the scene when she was trying to seduce Daniel and she told that sob story, which I thought may have been true, but I suppose not. I suspect sometime soon we'll get an expansion of her character. Or I hope so.

The political angle is interesting and I'm glad it wasn't overdone or anything (we had enough of that last season ><) and I did feel upset that the government doesn't see the power of the Orii, which I suspect we'll really get to see soon enough.

Characters were all fun, most notably Daniel and Vala, as they were definately the stars of this episode.

And well.. uh... not much else to say, really. The Ties That Bind is a fun, adventrous romp of an episode, though slightly dissapointing for me because I expected more. I imagine I'll come to appreciate it more after I've seen the rest of Season 9.

Season 9 still keeps its promise and I'm still happily looking forward to next week.

7/10. GW Poll Rating: Good.

PS: One last thing... WHAT is WITH the change to the wormhole effect?? I really like the old one, I don't get why they changed it. It wasn't even for any logical reason. Like, if they were traveling to another galaxy then I would understand.. but.. they aren't..

I enjoyed this episode. I didn't find it as riviting as the first three, but I still liked it. I'm really dreading the return of Sam, though. I'd much rather keep Vala, a serious Vala, around as part of the team.

What I didn't enjoy about this episode was what I didn't like about Prometheus Unbound: I felt like I was watching the ACTORS, rather than the characters, if that makes any sense. But it didn't really detract that much from me enjoying the episode.

It irks me that Mitchell calls Daniel "Jackson." It sounds odd and disrespectful, since Daniel asked him to call him Daniel in the very first episode.

The bedroom scene between Daniel and Vala was spot on. It was totally Daniel; he isn't going to jump some woman's bones no matter how beautiful she looks just because he hasn't got any in a while. They played that scene very well and I liked the extra depth it gave to Vala when she was talking about her past. I think she was telling the truth there.

I thought the scene in Washington was too silly for words, but I do like that it brought up something that may happen in future eps: The watchdog thing.

All in all, a good episode, nothing meaty, but fun to watch.

My opinion.

Loved it. Laughed throughout the show.

I see Vala character development all over. We're getting backstory on her all over, and some hints of other emotions. I think those that don't see it were set to ignore it from the start.

Teal'c doesn't have a lot of lines yet, but I'm confident that he will.

Browder is fine, I'm actually enjoying him in his role.

Jackson is great, he's carrying this right now and doing a great job IMO.

A word about SG-1 and it's direction.

I see a lot of people saying that they want SG-1 back. Sorry folks things change. Times change. Actors and actresses change. This is what we have now. We'll not go back to General Hammond, O'Neill leading the team, Dr. Fraiser, etc. Those days are gone.

This mirrors life. Times change, people move on or disappear. So too does SG-1, it changes and evolves.

To me, the measure is: was I entertained? And I was. Was it ths same as the days of old? Don't care. I was entertained, laughed myself silly through parts of it, wondered about the new villians, the political machinations on Earth, etc. Lots of story there, lots setting us up for the rest of the season.

Given all of the circumstances, I think that TPTB have done a great job, and I've enjoyed this episode most of all of them so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelagia
    The bedroom scene between Daniel and Vala was spot on. It was totally Daniel; he isn't going to jump some woman's bones no matter how beautiful she looks just because he hasn't got any in a while. They played that scene very well and I liked the extra depth it gave to Vala when she was talking about her past. I think she was telling the truth there.
    See this scene didnít work for me at all. I started laughing the moment she started the sob story. I donít know how much of it could be true but I assumed she was just playing Daniel and I felt embarrassed for her and him because I thought he was going to fall for it.

What worked for me in the scene is the same thing that worked in Reckoning II. I thought Daniel was going to be naive and fall for something but then he caught on and made the right decision. I cheered in Reckoning. I didn't cheer in this ep but I did say (to myself) good job Daniel (and the writers). I would hate to think Daniel would be so shallow as to fall for someone who is so obviously using him for her own entertainment. Now Jack or Mitchell I could see them entertaining themselves right back.

I like how no one in the SGC is falling for the Valas game and I hope they keep that up and not make everyone fall to her in the last 2 eps (and whatever eps she is in in the future). Dont get me wrong, I like her character and I think there is much opportunity for her to grow and for the SGC people to learn to respect her, I just donít think she has earned it yet..... Though I do think she has earned some treasure (this is my new pet peeve, fair is fair... on the other hand she did assault a bunch of air force personnel and steal a ship so maybe they are even now).
    Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Quote Originally Posted by majorsal
    *snort*
    *snort again*

*another snort*

*hands majorsal a tissue*

Ace
    "Good Morning Dr. Silberman. How's the knee?" - Sarah Connor 1994

http://militarysignatures.com/signatures/member7473.png

The episode was a farce.

Literally. If I like the characters, I just put my brain in park, then see if I laugh. I did. So, for me the episode was good.

But I think the funniest line was Chris Judge's "As you wish." The delivery was beautiful!

I don't know whether the producers are thinking along these lines or not. But it seems like Daniel hasn't been laid since he descended. Yet it doesn't seem to be because his testicles didn't descend with the rest of him. It feels like there's a little implication that in the back of his mind Daniel is still kind of into the higher plane of existence thing. (No sex there would explain Jack's not wanting to ascend?) So, until he actually finally chooses, sex is too earthy a commitment to make?

pm

Default Re: I didn't see the ties that bind!

Seriously, this is what a blurb is for. Go find 'yerself' one on Xanga, LiveJournal or MySpace.

What do we get to gain from this thread - nothing really. It's just offtopic, time-wasting fun.

Personal experiences are not always welcome in such an intellectual forum (well.. mostly) but we still love you. ^_^

Lieutenant Colonel warmbeachbrat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MediaSavant
    Ahhhhhh, I was wondering if anyone else noticed that. I think they are leading into something between Cam and Lam (like the sound of that) in a very subtle way.
    C'LAM?

I am so blessed! Cherriey made this cool sig; scarimor made this great Dr. Lee smilie http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f3...or/leeanim.gif and Spudster made another neat one http://img452.imageshack.us/img452/3658/lee1ec.gif Dr. Lee RULES!

Myn's fabulous twilight bark smilie:
    http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/b...ilightBark.gif

In the words of Cam Mitchell, "This is what I'm talkin' 'bout!"

This was the Stargate episode I've been waiting for! Everything about this episode felt different. The characters and their interactions felt more relaxed and story wasn't 'forced' for lack of a better word. I didn't feel as if I had to make myself watch this or try so hard to like it. It was interesting, funny and gave a good bit of background on Vala, who I like much better now that she's calmed down a bit. The bedroom scene with Daniel was great and I am so glad he caught what Vala was doing at the end and threw her out. My, how our boy has grown. Not too long ago, there was a good chance Daniel would have fallen for the sob story. Glad to see he's maintaining his distance with her. I hope it continues.

I liked the look in on how the rest of the universe is coping with the absence of the System Lords. The Lucian Alliance is far more interesting to me than the Orii. I hope we'll see much more of them because I'm a bit tired of all of the super-sized threats to humanity. Don't get me wrong, I loved Apophis and am hoping to see more of Ba'al. There was no one like the Goa'uld and our conflict with them but I'd like to see some good old fashion human and alien bad guys with no extra powers for a change.

For the first time, I could see a Mitchell, Jackson, Vala, Teal'c team without cringing at the thought. The dynamic really flowed this time and I enjoyed it. At the beginning of the show in the infirmary I was ticked to see Mitchell trying not to crack up at the thought of Daniel and Vala were still linked. His reaction was too funny. I liked Mitchell all through out the episode in how he calmly went with the flow with his eyes on the objective while Daniel was slowly going nuts. Teal'c as always, was great and his comment about Mitchell and O'Neill was rather funny. One of the best moments in the show was as the silent exchange between Teal'c and Vala as he was taking leave of everyone in the gateroom. Her saucy grin and wave and his look of exasperated forbearance as he turned away gave me one of the best laughs all night. I thought to myself, 'Ok, this could work." I can see Vala trying her best in trying to get Teal'c to loosen up and his reaction to having to put up with her buzzing around him. Could make for some priceless moments.

Enjoyed Wallace Shawn immensely - always do wherever he shows up. Would like to see Michael P. Northey (Inago) again. As always, our dear Walter was fun to have around.

Great show. If the rest of Season Nine is like this, Iím going to enjoy it very much.

Default Re: I didn't see the ties that bind!

you didn't miss anything.

As usual, the episode had TOO much of Vala, and not enough *STARGATE* material. Basically, the episode was to reiterate how much of a ***** Vala is.

I did enjoy Wallace Shawn, too. I love the quirky sound of his voice. Can anyone tell me where we've seen him before?

Overall it was another quite enjoyable episode. Season 9 has been quite good so far

-I agree with those who said this was kinda a fun episode after the seriousness of the opening trilogy

-Mitchell was a lot better this episode. Hopefully that will continued. He was more subdued.

-While the plot was cliched, I still really enjoyed it. The thing I liked the most was that we got to see different planets and different costumes.....something we were missing in season 8. They went to four planets, it was great.

-I like how they are handling the Teal'c situation, how he's not just rejoining the team.

-Daniel and Vala are wonderful....the bantering never gets old. Michael and Claudia really click together. I wonder if Vala really was serious when she was confiding to Daniel in the bedroom, or was it an act. Was her, "did it work" a defense mechanism, or was it all a work?

-Speaking of the bedroom scene, is Daniel insane? What the hell was he thinking! Did he see Vala? He has a lot more will (or stupidity....whatever you want to call it) than I would.

-Finally Vala in the Washington scene. Holy crap she looked unbelievable. I know a lot the the ladies liked seeing Daniel and Mitchell in leather, but Vala in leather (and a short skirt to boot) was equally as good for the male demo.

A solid light hearted episode. Feeling good about season 9 so far.

Out...

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast