No announcement yet.

The Devil You Know (313)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think this was a very good episode, but as most of you have mentioned, I think Sokar should have stayed on for a bit longer. Also I'm growing a bit tired of having Apophis as the main enemy...

And why do the bad guys never learn from their mistakes?
    “This is a crisis. A large crisis. In fact, if you got a moment, it's a twelve-story crisis with a magnificent entrance hall, carpeting throughout, 24-hour portage, and an enormous sign on the roof, saying 'This Is a Large Crisis'. A large crisis requires a large plan. Get me two pencils and a pair of underpants.”

- Edmund Blackadder

Comment

Originally posted by Blackadder View Post
      And why do the bad guys never learn from their mistakes?
      'Cause they're Goa'ulds.
      sigpic
      Watching now: Doctor Who Series 3/29 (rewatch) - The X-Files Season 2 (rewatch) - Pushing Daisies Season 1 - Torchwood Series 1 - Red Dwarf Series 8 - Battlestar Galactica Season 2 (rewatch) - Northern Exposure Season 3 (rewatch)

Comment

i so much hate Apophis.I'll put up another party when he really dies.
        "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

Very good episode. Season 3 is my favorite so far.
          sigpic

Comment

love the part where apophis is stalling because he didnt get squat out of the interrogation
            R.I.P Stargate 1994-2009

Comment

Am I the only one who thinks this and Jolinar's Memories should have been the Season 3 finale/Season 4 opener? I think Apophis returning at the end of Jolinar's Memories would have been a fantastic way to end the season, and then opening up Season 4 with The Devil You May Know. I think that would have been a better way to end the season and open season 4 than with the introduction of the Replicators. Don't get me wrong, the introduction of the Replicators was vital, but surely Nemesis/Small Victories could have been the mid-season two parter, making Jolinar's Memories the finale, which would have been much more fitting in my eyes.

Great episode for me, loved it My one problem is they killed off Sokar, far too soon :/ I mean, this guy was badass, renegade Goa'uld, who had taken on the persona of Satin, and who all the other Goa'uld feared. He should have been one of the ultimate bad guys in the series!

But all in all, loved the episode

Comment

Yeah, they did kill off Sokar a bit too soon, but I loved the ep anyway. Great wry humor from O'Neill.
                sigpic

Comment

8.5/10

I thought part 2 was much weaker than the first part. The lack of defenses around Sokars ship, until after Teal'c flies off and yet another last second rescue brought it down for me.
                  Babylon 5 - Farscape - Lost - Deadwood - Rome - Carnivale - Dexter - Sopranos - The Wire

Comment

This is on par with the first part. I don't think it strives to be bigger or more epic, and settles for just letting the story conclude. Sokar turned out to be nothing much after all the build up. Apophis is his usual uninteresting and cliched self. The most entertaining part of the story is probably Teal'c's little adventure with the Tok'ra.

The forced memory scenes are the weakest part of the episode, mostly because their cheese factor is just too much to take, and the show had done a great job of moving away from that. The kid who played Charley was kind of creepy, and the silly editing is just annoying more than anything.

I thought the fact that Jack gets badly hurt finally goes to show that he runs his mouth of a bit too often! There are times when his sarcastic one-liners become a bit too expected of him, and he needs to calm down once in a while. Overall, this episode was a bit too over-the-top in places but for the wrong reasons. There is no real spectacle, and even the set design which was impressive in the first part, doesn't feel quite as wonderful here. Notably, the scene with Apophis talking to the gathered crowds was puny.

RATING: 7 out of 10
                    Private guitar tuition | Return To Grace - rock/pop party band

Comment

I watched this episode straight after pt 1 and I wasn't sure which part I was in ( like all the characters under the influence of the 'blood of Sokar'!) when writing my views on this episode. Most of the things I posted in the first part belonged to this one! Maybe I shouldn't post my views of episodes when I'm tired and dozing off!

I agree about Sokar being taken out of the picture before we even had a chance to think..... hey,a pretty cool bad guy, playing Satan no less! I suppose they made up for it with Anubis later on.

Loved the scene of Sam back in the '80's, I had a dress similar to the one she was wearing!!!

Still wondering how they got out of the 'pit' after blowing the grate off, with a barely conscious Jacob, and injured O'Neill, given the height from which they fell when they were thrown in!!! Made the ending feel very rushed.

Comment

The secrets of Earth and the Tok'ra hang in the balance during Apophis' fight for freedom. High stakes! And the swift editing between plot elements (quiet Sam/Martouf moment to Jack/Charlie hallucination to Teal'c pleading with the Tok'ra then back again certainly kept my attention.

Crafts were really good...background art and makeup made you feel the smothering heat. But I did feel the most pain for Jack's knees more than in any other ep. Daniel tying off the staff blast wound and Pop's First Prime whacking his injury to force the Blood of Sokar down his throat really made me cringe.

Seeing Sam's Major Matt Mason doll in the background during her hallucination sequence at home plus the last line when Jacob, after escaping Hell, asks Sam whether she has any leave coming up really show the true humor of the writers.
                        "Daniel...I'm gonna pass out now."

Comment

I didn't like this ep as much as I did the first part.

Sad to see Sokar go so early.
                          sigpic

Comment

My LiveJournal post
                            Great two-parter.
                            "Thanks to denial, I'm immortal."
                            "A big 'Hello' to all intelligent life out there, and for everyone else, the secret is to bang the rocks together, guys!"
                            "Excuse me, barmaid? You seem to have brought me the wrong offspring. I ordered an extra large boy with beefy arms, extra guts and glory on the side. This here, this is a talking fishbone!"
                            "I'm Jack. It means... what's in the box?"

sigpic
                            >-- Czechs Rock! >--

Comment

Originally posted by Lieutenant Sparrow View Post
                              I didn't like this ep as much as I did the first part.

Sad to see Sokar go so early.
                              I agree. I liked the first part better too.
                              Calculus and Alcohol don't mix. Never drink and derive.

Comment

Pretty good conclusion to this 2-parter.

So, now Apophis is now at version 2.0, with the patches near his eye. And this is the last we see of him until the back half of next season.

Like with part 1, there's something that bugs me with some the CG sequences.

Tomorrow, the SGC has a "Foothold" situation from aliens that only appear in this episode..
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X